Garmin GPSMap60csx, planes and the letter D

THE_Chris

B)

Ok so I'm going to Germany in a few days. Geocaches are loaded onto the unit, all set. Just a question.

Since the altimeter on the GPSMap60csx is controlled by barometric pressure, whats it going to say when the plane is at 30,000ft? The plane will be pressurised, so the unit will think its lower down, right?? Or will the GPS-calculated height take over? If its displaying wrong, is there any way to turn off the pressure-altimeter, or is it always on and cant be turned off? Cant find anything simple in the manual.

Also, some of the satellites on the display page have the letter D superimposed on them, when they get a good signal. Whats that for?? Is it to do with WAAS/EGNOS or is it something else. Couldnt find anything in the manual about it.

Thanks B)

Edit: And yes you are allowed to use GPS units on Aer Lingus flights :lol:

Ok so I'm going to Germany in a few days. Geocaches are loaded onto the unit, all set. Just a question.

Since the altimeter on the GPSMap60csx is controlled by barometric pressure, whats it going to say when the plane is at 30,000ft? The plane will be pressurised, so the unit will think its lower down, right?? Or will the GPS-calculated height take over? If its displaying wrong, is there any way to turn off the pressure-altimeter, or is it always on and cant be turned off? Cant find anything simple in the manual.

Also, some of the satellites on the display page have the letter D superimposed on them, when they get a good signal. Whats that for?? Is it to do with WAAS/EGNOS or is it something else. Couldnt find anything in the manual about it.

Thanks smile.gif

Edit: And yes you are allowed to use GPS units on Aer Lingus flights smile.gif

Yes, the altimeter will read a lower altitude. I'm not positive if turning it off will allow it to get an altitude reading based on satellites, but I think not.

The D is satellites that have been error corrected based on your units lock on a WAAS sattelite. So, if you have lot's of 'D's, that's a good thing. I'm not sure if you will get a WAAS lock in germany, as I think the few there are are in geosynchronous orbit, so they remain in a fixed position in respect to the ground, usually over the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. Maybe you can get the Atlantic one there, not sure.

lastly, it's nice that Aer Lingus allows GPS usage on flights (taking your word for it), but be prepared that you can still be asked not to use it by a flight attendent or captain, even if policy allows it. Crew member trumps policy. You will surely not be allowed to use it during taxi, takeoff, or landing. They treat GPS as any other electronic device.

Enjoy the hunt in Germany!

I recently used a 60CSx on a flight, and the altitude topped out around 7,000 feet, because it used the barometric altimeter. I decided to try a Legend Cx on the same flight, and it showed our cruising altitude to be around 35,000 feet, which I assume was about right. The GPSr can use triangulation to get a 3D fix on your location (that's how the Legend Cx got the altitude), but I do not know how or if you can turn off the 60CSx's barometric altimeter. At least it got the 2D location and speed correct (top speed was 632 mph).

...I'm not sure if you will get a WAAS lock in germany, as I think the few there are are in geosynchronous orbit, so they remain in a fixed position in respect to the ground, usually over the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. Maybe you can get the Atlantic one there, not sure...

The WAAS/EGNOS works in Germany provided you have the latest SIRF3 code ver. 3.00 on the GPSr.

viamundi.

I recently used a 60CSx on a flight, and the altitude topped out around 7,000 feet, because it used the barometric altimeter. I decided to try a Legend Cx on the same flight, and it showed our cruising altitude to be around 35,000 feet, which I assume was about right. The GPSr can use triangulation to get a 3D fix on your location (that's how the Legend Cx got the altitude), but I do not know how or if you can turn off the 60CSx's barometric altimeter. At least it got the 2D location and speed correct (top speed was 632 mph).

If you use the GPSMap 60CSx you need to set the GPSr to Fixed Elevation on the Altimeter page. During the trip the Trip Computer page will show the "cabin altitude" of about 7,000 feet, however, you'll find the cruising altitude in the Active Log after you return home.

viamundi.

Since the altimeter on the GPSMap60csx is controlled by barometric pressure, whats it going to say when the plane is at 30,000ft? The plane will be pressurised, so the unit will think its lower down, right?? Or will the GPS-calculated height take over? If its displaying wrong, is there any way to turn off the pressure-altimeter, or is it always on and cant be turned off? Cant find anything simple in the manual.[/quot]

Edit: What he said ^^

Edited by Frabble

Forgot to check that before I tracked my flight to London, with a Vista HCx, so I only got up to 6275'. Speed did match the video screen.

What is the reason for GPS being on the do not use list? At least the Vista is easy to conceal.

Edited by XHawkeye

What is the reason for GPS being on the do not use list? At least the Vista is easy to conceal.

A GPS, like all radio receivers, has to generate a signal to match up with the carrier wave of the signal it's trying to receive. This turns it into a tiny transmitter, which could, in theory, interfere with the planes avionics.

If you go into altimeter setup on your 60CSx, and make sure "Auto Calibration" is on, then the GPS receiver will attempt to correct its altimeter using the GPS measurement. And since GPS-derived altitude is less accurate than the latitude and longitude, you'll definitely need to use the WAAS corrections. After all, it was the FAA that designed and implemented WAAS to begin with.

Edit: Why do I have to edit so many of my posts on web forums? How come I can almost never come up with the correct wording on the first try?!?!?! :lol:

Edited by DENelson83