determining if a you need permission

gargoyle725

hi I am still new at this and unfortunatly 2 caches I have placed did not get approved because I did not research properly and placed them in bad locations. Well I figured out how to check for nearby caches but how can I tell if I need to permission? I want to place a cache but not sure if it would fall under protected wetlands, I dont think it will but it will be a tough cache and I dont want to place it and have to go get it?

sorry poor wording I think it is a great challanging location and I would have no problem maintaining it. I just do not want to waste time placing it just to go back out to get it. I also want to research it enough because I feel as the cache owner it is my job to follow guidelines as best I can ,not the reviewers job.

hi I am still new at this and unfortunatly 2 caches I have placed did not get approved because I did not research properly and placed them in bad locations. Well I figured out how to check for nearby caches but how can I tell if I need to permission? I want to place a cache but not sure if it would fall under protected wetlands, I dont think it will but it will be a tough cache and I dont want to place it and have to go get it?

Wetlands are not generally "protected" in the "Put up a fence and let nobody at all ever go there" sence. They are not a cause to go get permission by themselves. Most wetlands that I know of are along rivers where fisherman, boaters and hikers have free access. Caches would also have free access and no particular permission would be needed.

Wetlands are protected in the broader sence. We can't just bulldoze them, drain them, or obliterate them. We can enjoy them on a saturday afternoon.

However some lands are not as open as most. For those if you think you need to ask, you probably do.

Edited by Renegade Knight

if anything it would be considered an aqutic preserve. I read the info on the govn. website for the preserves and emailed the head person. I think it is ok but I wanted to be sure looking at the states map does not really show.

Preserves are another thing. Some like caching, some don't. You need to ask. If it's a preserve it's posted on the access. You will know driving in to park beceause the signs will say. "Wet Water Wetland Preserve and Emporium" Then there would be a sign giving all the preserve rules. The name on the sign will be in the phone book. That's normally. YMMV.

Edited by Renegade Knight

its not in a park. its actully a large wooded area we used to have weekend parties at in high school. I have never seen any signs there and have actually camped out there since high school. Its a great hicking and exploring place .

Would probably be no problem there, but again, it is up to the property owner of other than public lands. The county tax office should have a map you can pick the location from, and tell you who gets the bill.

I think you're on the right track trying to find out who owns/operates the land in question. Once you find that person/organization you'll have the right resource for getting permission -- if necessary.

Land boundaries can be tricky business due to all of the legalities involved.

As an example there is a park here with a creek running along one boundary. The other side of the creek is private property and there are a zillion POSTED signs along that side of the creek stating that the public is not allowed. However, the public still goes there almost every single day. I spent a good deal of time researching this issue with the town clerk, the town parks director, and the land owner (who was difficult to track down for a variety of reasons). It was a lot of effort for no gain other than my newly gained understanding of the land issues in that little area.

As another example, there is another park here that borders several pieces of private property. The owners of the private property keep moving their POSTED signs out into the park by a significant margin and then run off anyone who comes to enjoy that part of the park. The town has been in a running battle with the property owners for a long time now.

Edited by Ferreter5

Have you checked the reviewer's profile page to see if they have local land policies listed? Many of them do just that to help spread the word in their area.

That should help you understand where you need to stay away from and where you specifically need a permit.

Edited by wimseyguy

Yep, if you take a look at palmetto's profile, you'll find a list of land managers in Florida with specific geocaching policy. Most with links to maps, so you can check out your location against that list.

It appears you're in Pinellas county. The county parks there want to be asked about each new cache - it's not a formal policy and they mostly just say yes, but they do want to be informed. The individual city parks within the county are mostly ignoring caches. The state held wetlands around Pinellas are mosty part of the Pinellas Aquatic Preserve, and need to be cleared with that management.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

its not in a park. its actully a large wooded area we used to have weekend parties at in high school. I have never seen any signs there and have actually camped out there since high school. Its a great hicking and exploring place .

Areas like that are often private property. If it is you definitely need permission. Public lands where people are welcome are often shown as such on maps or designated with signs.

I say "often" in each case because there are frequent exceptions to both. When in doubt you can always check the tax maps at the library, town hall or county clerk's office.

Regarding local geocaching regulations on public lands, you are best off asking more experienced locals. If there is a local geocaching organization contact them.

hi I am still new at this and unfortunately 2 caches I have placed did not get approved because I did not research properly and placed them in bad locations. Well I figured out how to check for nearby caches but how can I tell if I need to permission? I want to place a cache but not sure if it would fall under protected wetlands, I don't think it will but it will be a tough cache and I don't want to place it and have to go get it?

I have just started myself and have 8 out on state land. I went to the land manager, one was at a big park, and asked the head ranger and got my permission. It is only reasonable it seems. I got permission to place them and then too the coordinates to him in case there was a problems. That could be too much traffic or a protected area. They were very friendly and appreciated my efforts toward them.

The others were in a wildlife and recreation area where I kayak and I contacted the head of it and went through the same procedure with great results.

I want to put some on some federal land but am having problems with that right now but am working on it.

I also metal detect and feel it is much better to ask permission and have a good relationship with the authorities. Bad metal detectorists have made it tough on the rest of us and I sure don't want anything I do to hurt this hobby.

As a general rule, if you have any reason to think that you, as the owner, or someone else seeking the cache would be "in trouble" for being in the area and searching for something (looking suspicious) to the extent that you would likely be (at the least) "run-off" were you to be seen by someone in authority whilst you are plying the game, then you may not NEED permission, but it is a darn good idea to get it (and say so on the cache page).

Getting permission in cases where the hide might be questioned is a great courtesy to the caching community as well as to the local community as a whole.

In short, if you think you might need permission, get permission or don't hide the cache.

it is a bigger issue than just "will GC list it." Not putting yourself and fellow cachers at risk is the greater good.

If in doubt, get permission IMHO.