It's a Snow Day Cointest!

PengoFamily

Woke up this morning to quite the snow storm. It started just after 2 AM...it's now 6:42 AM and we already have about 15 cm on the ground. We are expecting another 10-15 cm. All the schools are closed. Flights are canceled at the airport. Roads are just starting to be plowed. I can't get to work right now so I figured why not have a cointest?? It's a snow day!! As a kid I would love days like this.

Post any funny photos, stories, clean jokes anything to do with winter and snow.

One post per person, cacher, etc. I will do a random draw for a random geocoin tonight around 9pm EST.

Thanks!! :lol:B)

Ehehehe

where i live, it only snows from 50 to 50 years, really. Unless the last to couple years when it snow two years in a row :D

what a feat, 1 cm of snow (ok maybe 2cm :lol: ) and everyone on the street playing , taking pictures and just amused with the show. Last year was the first time i saw snowing (really B) ). I pickup my mountain bike and took a ride around my home, through snowed hills. It was a terrific experience.

Wet, cold and absolutly funny. And this with a couple of centimeters B)B)B)

I will post some pictures later.

Thank you

We have very little snow in this part of Germany. No snow last winter, no snow this winter (so far), but three years ago we had some snow. I watched this two swans who tried to land on a frozen lake, and it was really funny to see as they sled on their "butts" for several meters :lol: Luckily I had my camera with me and I ended up with a beautiful picture:

Schwaene.jpg

I used to live in Colorado Springs and people think that it snows there ALL the time...not necessarily true. Yes, its in Colorado...but it's not Vail or anything! LOL. Anyway, last year in Dec I went to visit my husband and went to VA for the holidays and the day I left a BIG storm was moving in...snowed like 15 inches (and that's a lot for our area) and I missed it. You might remember news stories about people camping out in teh Denver airport because nothing was coming in or out!

Then my husband and I flew home to Col Springs (they had cleaned out most of the snow by then). Then I went to a work related thing in Feb...and once again..missed the big snowstorm!! So I didn't really get to see ANY snow last year! LOL

The BLIZZARD or '78! Can you remember where you were??

We were youngsters when this one hit (I was 13), we all played penny poker at my neighbor's house (3 penny bets with 5 penny max raise....big stakes) often, the night the storm hit was one of those nights! Keep in mind that winter was supposed to be ending soon and that we'd already had a snowy winter leading into this storm!

When we walked to the neighbor's (about 1/4 mile from home), we noticed it was starting to snow, didn't give it much thought though (no Weatherbug or even good forecasting in those days). We must have played for around 3 or 4 hours before mom said time to go home (school in the morning after all). We start the walk home and quickly realized the snow was easily going to cancel school the next day...little did we know what would REALLY happen!!

Off to bed we went, not a worry in our heads (and happy to think no school the next day). In the morning, we get the news....no school (as we figured) and just lay around in bed!! My mom gets up and ready for work....but can't get out...THE DOOR!!! The noise from her and dad trying to get the door open brought us boys (three of us, I'm the middle child) out of bed!! After trying the doors, my dad decides we need to get out a window!! The first few windows were too low (snow covered them too...wow), so we went out our bedroom window (we three shared a bedroom then) which was way up (would have been at least an 8' drop from the inside to the ground)....we could walk out the window! (well, roll through and then walk).

Turns out, my dad (who worked 2nd shift in a factory about 20 miles away) had to walk much of the way home that night, there was no way to get out since snow covered our cars almost completely and no one was going to work that day....or week...or.... We all put on our snow gear and out we went to investigate!

After several hours of playing in the DEEP snow (often well over my head), we returned to the house and mom made hot chocolate. We then decided to dig out the drive (even though no plow went through yet) and ready for when we could leave the house again.

More than a week later, a plow FINALLY decides to come through...but gets stuck at the end of the road! He made it almost 30'!!! They pulled that one out and that was the last we saw of them for another week!! No way in or out (except our drive being shoveled out). The main roads (about 3/4 mile away) were cleared, but no movement save snow mobiles ever went past our house (one was going by once and suddenly disappeared! They hit a soft spot in the snow and it sank...took them 2 days to get it back). The next plow they brought was much bigger though, and we thought our "vacation" was finally over after 2+ weeks!

The bigger plow made it through to the first two houses (we were third on the road), but got stuck right in front of our pasture just to the south of our driveway. He couldn't go back out and couldn't go forward...couldn't even budge it! This plow was stuck...blocking the way for any further equipment! Another couple days and FINALLY, they brought in a HUGE V-blade plow (biggest thing I'd ever seen) and just PUSHED the other plow right on through!! Our road was finally clear!! Now, we had to re-dig the end of our drive again....big honking boulders of snow too!

Now, my mom had taken a ride into Adrian early on (the big town near us back then) and had bought CC skis...her only way to the main road for a few weeks, so she was happy to be able to get out, my dad's truck was parked at the end of our road, so he made it to work that whole time...but us kids? No school for almost 3 weeks now! This looked like the end to our vacation though as now the roads were clear and the bus could make it to us. Off to bed that night thinking school in the morning...WRONG!! That night, we had a freezing rain storm which brought us more than 1/2" of ice, downed power and shut down travel yet again!!

After a MONTH of no school, we finally got to go back. We ended up making up those days during the summer...which wasn't bad, but the snow was STILL in piles on the edge of the roads even then...some of the snow barely went away before it snowed again the next winter!!

That was the winter we boys had the MOST fun ever! The drift in front of our house was measured at 20' high (and it was that high across the roadway). We tried to reach the top of it by standing on each other's shoulders, but still couldn't!

Sorry, long drawn out story...but great memories!!

It doesn't snow much here in my part of Texas. When it does, everything shuts down. But I remember the first year I moved to Dallas from the Houston area. My first Thanksgiving up here it snowed (it was also the Cowboy game that Leon Lett gave away!). After the the football game, my two sons and I decided to walk around outside. We made very small snowmen and snow angels. We walked over to the Walmart shopping center across the street, and the concrete was so slippery with ice. My youngest son was in 1st grade, and a very tiny little boy. He decides he was going to walk up this steep incline near the sidewalk. He gets halfway up, and all of a sudden his feet are moving, but he's not going anywhere! It was so funny, he kept walking and walking but he was sliding on the ice. It seems like that lasted forever, but actually, I'm sure it was only seconds. Then suddenly he flew back down the incline, and right into my arms! I nearly fell over trying to hold him.

And of course being all boy, he wanted to do it again!...and he did!

Seems that you've sent that stuff our way. Heavy snowfall in effecrt for tonight and tomorrow. I live in the New Brunswick area.

I found this beautiful winter poem and thought it might be a comfort to you all - it was for me . It's so well written and captures my thoughts pertectly!

ENJOY!

winter-cabin.gif

' WINTER '

a poem by Abigail Elizabeth

s**t! It's Cold!

The End

Edited by bassmig

The last snow storm of the 2006/2007 winter in SE Minnesota ocured in April 2007.

I was supposed to travel to Chicago for a work trip. Short 45 minute flight. Bumbed from the first flight due to the weight restrictions. (Not my weight). The Rochester airport is a small place, no need to appear more than 1 hour prior to flight. Those who made the flight checked in prior to me. Airlines gave a voucher for $200!

Called a friend to pick me up, home I went. Next flight around 1 pm. Well, went back to the airport and the flight has been cancelled. Never looked prior to leaving. Well, the friend returns. Maybe I can get the evening flight?

Well, that was the last flight of the day. Loo and behold, received a phone call from Zoejam72, they were in town caching. Wanna go? You bet.

So off we go caching in 11 inches of wet, heavy snow! Oh, great fun. Little traffic, caching in a 4 wheel drive Surbeon, and friends, with warm, wet snow.

Don't recall how many caches we did, but great fun. Gained caches, free tickets, and missed the work conference.

Accordiongal

I'd love to tell you the story of St. Patrick's Day 2007. I'm not sure I can without getting a headache. We set out to go meet the now infamous Avroair, on a beautiful sunny Friday. About 3 hours into an 8 hour drive, the weather turned pretty nasty. On the PA turnpike, the snow started coming down in buckets. Multiple inches an hour turned our 75 mph drive into 20 mph, just barely enough to make it over the next hill. After a few hours of white knuckling it, we gave up. We did a Chinese fire drill on the highway so Ms. Eleanor could drive (yeah, on the highway, it was a blinding blizzard, we were mostly alone). Grabbed a hotel in somwheresville, PA, and crashed. In the morning, the salt and plows made it look like nothing ever happened. We kinda forgot all about it.

That is until the Gerbil cache . . . . but I digress.

TMA

:lol:

Snow? What's snow?

It's getting down into the 50s (F) here at night, and that's cold enough for me!

Edit to add:

Ok, I actually do have a snow story. Many, many (many) years ago I was going to school in Atlanta. In February of that year, it snowed 4 inches one day, and 3 inches the next. I guess they're not used to snow in Atlanta, because it shut down the city. Classes were cancelled for the week. Kids were pulling down street signs, and using them to slide down the icy hills of the campus. I borrowed gloves from my roommate (cotton, bad idea). And a bunch of us went out on the overpass over the interstate to see all the cars just sitting in that big parking lot. I think some drivers got mad when some of us started throwing down snow balls. Hmm.

Oh, and when I was a kid growing up in Jacksonville, FL, it sort of snowed one year! We all went outside and tromped around on the thin white layer on the grass. And we were able to scrape enough snow off my parents cars to make 1 snow ball. I don't remember how long it lasted in my parents freezer.....

And that is the extent of my experience with snow!

B)

Edited by MommyFinder

It snowed here in Pennsylvania yesterday, then changed to freezing rain overnight.

We got about 3 inches of snow - not too much. Snow showers are expected here later

today/tonight and over the next few days. My daughter only had a 2 hour school delay

today. She was upset, because she was hoping for a day off, but the plows were going all night

and the temp warmed up to the mid 30's, so the roads were cleared off. This was our

second snowstorm of the 2007 season.

The Sunday before Thanksgiving we were expected to get 1-3 inches, but ended up with

8.5 inches of snow. It all melted by Thanksgiving Day because the temp went up into the 50's.

Anyway, here is a snowman that she made from that snowstorm.

Nov0700000-1.jpg

1202071243ry3.jpg

I took this picture with my camera-phone early yesterday afternoon. That's the courtyard outside my dorm building at Ramapo College. We got around three inches of snow, which was enough for them to close the campus roads in the morning until the plows came through. Then it melted under the afternoon sun and refroze overnight, so essentially the entire place is a sheet of ice right now. They haven't officially cancelled for the day, but I've already had a professor call out. :lol: Hooray for snow days!

I read the blizzard of 78 story and had to laugh. Now that was a good time. Down here in the suburbs of Indianapolis, we were snowed in for 5 days.

My brother, mom and dad and I put on our snow suits during it and took about a 1/4 mile hike out to the main road to take pics and play. I will never forget how surreal it was to not really have a clue if we were standing in the road or not. We finally figured out where the road really was when we spotted a snow drift that was about 15 feet high and 30 feet long. We did not find out until after they started cleaning the road off that there were 3 cars under there that had been abandoned.

On the way back to the house we were getting cold so we were hurrying back. Suddenly we noticed that mom was not with us. Now knowing my mom does not read this thread I can say the following. She is quite short. What we saw had us laughing uncontrolably. There she was bellied up in a snow drift and unable to move. Her legs had punched through the snow drift but never hit the ground. She was sunk in above the waist and every time she tried to use her arms to get some leverage she got no where. We pulled on her for almost 5 minutes before we got her out and joked about having to get chains to pull her out. Now she, at the time, was not as amused about it as we were. But we have a good laugh about it now.

Those are the good times you remember for a life time and never get tired of talking about. Life is so much easier when it's that simple!

Last couple of years have been pretty mild around our part of Sweden. Got about 6-7 inches the other day but it has mostly melted by now.

Worst storm I've been in was back in '98 when a city about 10 miles south of us got slammed. They got roughly 6 feet of snow in about 24 hours, safe to say the snowplows had no chance against that. The interstate was shut down for two days and they were bringing in snowmobiles, bandwagons, and such to deliver food to stranded people in the middle of the city. It was actually pretty funny watching people walking around on top of cars and small buildings :lol:

After 3 days they opened up parts of the city for traffic so we headed down there to have a look, it was like driving in a maze. The piles on the side of the road were between 5 and 8 feet all around and people were just slowly moving around looking at it all wondering where the city went.

There is a youtube clip showing parts of it

Last December 7th in Cheyenne, WY. we had 6 feet of snow in our driveway. The snow blows into drifts. I had to put the blade on the four wheeler to open a path down our 1000 foot driveway so I could get to work 65 miles away in Greeley CO. When I showed up in the ER they were surprised to see me because most of the locals were snowed in. (City slickers) The hospital called a "code orange" which is the disaster code, all Doctors and nurses had to stay at the hospital. I was stuck at work for 6 days. When I drove home the next day, Cheyenne got an additional 5 feet of snow. These were the same snow storms that hit Denver..... we just got more. Should have heard my neighbor from California whine! I was born and raised in COLO. and I have been a skiier since I was 3 years old. A little snow doesn't stop me. B):lol:B)

Edited by Team FIREBOY

The BLIZZARD or '78! Can you remember where you were??

We were youngsters when this one hit (I was 13), we all played penny poker at my neighbor's house (3 penny bets with 5 penny max raise....big stakes) often, the night the storm hit was one of those nights! Keep in mind that winter was supposed to be ending soon and that we'd already had a snowy winter leading into this storm!

That was the winter we boys had the MOST fun ever! The drift in front of our house was measured at 20' high (and it was that high across the roadway). We tried to reach the top of it by standing on each other's shoulders, but still couldn't!

Sorry, long drawn out story...but great memories!!

I lived in Perry Michigan that year and remember that storm pretty well even though I was pretty young - 8 years old I think. Amazing snow drifts! There's pictures of me standing next to the front of the house in a snowmobile suit with a drift in the background that was over the front door. :lol:

The snow was fun when I was a kid but I don't miss it much as an adult.

Woke up this morning with no power and pouring rain that had washed away all our snow, but we got some this weekend!

On Saturday, hoping to mark my #300 find somewhere memorable, I went up to somewhat nearby Rattlesnake Ridge. While the trip up to the three ledges was clear and I was able to enjoy the amazing views, beyond the three ledges I found snow! Had to dig a few caches out to make the finds. Eventually I came to one that was in a clearing that was under over a foot of snow. The hint revealed that it was 'under branches near the log'. The only visible log and surrounding area received a pretty good searching, but then I found another log, completely buried. Became obvious I wasn't going to find the cache, so I debated making a snow fort! I'd not seen this much snow since I was a kid back in NH.

Then, it started snowing pretty hard there so I decided to head out before the roads got to bad. Made it to the car, hit the road, only to end up sitting in traffic for near an hour as some 7 cars had gone off the road (looked like no one was hurt).

So no milestone, no cache, no snow fort, lots of traffic, but let me tell you, searching for a cache under a foot of snow sure was *a lot* of fun ;-)

Yikes! Got a text message from my son in Montreal saying that there is a lot of snow coming down...and now a cointest that confirms it all! This is no laughing matter because....

We're supposed to be flying to Montreal TOMORROW!

Ok, let's go back 11 years ....We had a massive blizzard here in Victoria in '96 around Christmas. Funny thing is we don't usually get much snow in Victoria BC so my mother had planned a trip to the snow in the interior for the whole family for Christmas. We spent 5 days glorious days skiing, skating, taking sled dog rides and riding on sleighs at 108 Ranch. On the way home through the Fraser Canyon it started to snow... we barely made it through the Fraser Valley and by the time we got back to Vancouver Island it was basically shut down due to the accumulation of snow and lack of snow removal equipment. Our neighbour had to plow out our driveway so we could get home. We would have had more snow that Christmas if we'd stayed home!

Keep your fingers crossed that we make it for our visit with our son, Pengo Family, OusKonNé & Cétyla and the others in Quebec!!

Here's one of my mom's favorite snow day stories.

Back when I was around 13 I was babysitting a neighbor and one of my mom's coworkers daughters. We had been out playing in the snow and our pants had gotten wet from the melted snow. We decided to go in for a while, eat lunch and dry our clothes before going out in the snow again. Well, my neighbor and the coworkers daughter went to my neighbors house two houses down the street (they were 12 and 11 years old so I though they would be okay). I went to my house. I had my clothes in the dryer and I was eating some soup for lunch when the phone rang. It was the neighbor. She asked what I was doing and I told her watching tv, drying my clothes and eating some soup. I asked what they had eaten and she said sandwiches and we chatted for another minute or two. Then she says oh yeah, I called you because our pants are on fire in the hallway. I hang up the phone and run down there losing a shoe in the snow on the way. I get inside and they are in the hallway with hairspray spraying on the fire. I yell for them to stop and get out of the hallway. I pour a pitcher of water on the pants and put the fire out. Instead of putting their pants in the dryer they thought laying them on the floor heater would be a better choice. They also didn't understand that hairspray would not put out the fire. We gather up the remnants of the pants and I put them in the trash at my house. I have no sense of smell so I didn't know that my mom would smell them when she got home. When our moms got home, my mom smelled it immediately. After I explained the whole thing to her she called our neighbor and told her what had happened. The neighbor hadn't even noticed the smell in her house, the scorch marks on the floor or the fact that part of her hallway wall was burnt.

From that day on whenever I babysat these two, they were not allowed to be by themselves. :lol:

http://img.geocaching.com/user/02df3ef2-42...c799c43c125.jpg

Gotta love Minnesota!! Winter has got to be my favorite time of the year. Plenty of snow, ice fishing, which is 2nd only to Christmas time. Christmas time is my favorite though. Only because of the time spent together with our family. Spiked egg nog and conversation go late into the evening. Can not beat that!

Dang it. O-well, have to click to see picture. Not very

good at posting pictures yet.

Edited by dardevle

No story, just the facts, Jack . . .

I live beyond the bottom of a hill of a dead end street. Well, when it snows, the kids take over the road. They start sledding, making the surface icy. Normally, with momentum, one Can make it up the hill B) but Not when you have to stop for the kids to get out of the way B) . Last year, there were a couple of mailboxes that got wiped out because of them B) So, I guess the moral of this fact is that kids RULE :lol: Yes, they deserve to have fun.

Cabin fever hit in upstate NY this am. The weather forecast was calling for an additional 3-5 inches starting at 1100. While looking at our nearest caches this am we ran across a cache that had been published November 12th and still no finds. (GC17C93) Off we went with a sled in tow just in case.

Thank goodness for the sled. We parked about 200 feet from the cache and it was all down hill. The Buglet loved it. FTF and fun in the snow.

Yummy Cache

2007_120312-3-070006.jpg

Buglet hiding from the snow

2007_120312-3-070004.jpg

We parked at the top of the hill

2007_120312-3-070003.jpg

We made it back home by 1130 and the snow is flying now!

Edited by Woodland Clan

Here are a few goodies for everyone in the family!

Snow days don't really exist in my neck of the woods... something about living just 6 hours from the Arctic circle and snow being an expected part of life here...and I hate it, lol!

So, without further ado...

Recipe for a Great Snow Day

By Jessica M.

1 school cancellation announcement

24 Inches of snow

6 friends with snow tubes

1 snow covereed hill

1 snowman kit (consisting of hat, carrot, sticks, and coal)

1 kettle of boiling water

1 canister of hot chocolate

1 movie

1 warm family room

1 afternoon of laughter

Preheat family room to 72 degrees, set aside. Mix school cancellation, snow, friends, snow-covered hill and kit to build snowman in one large backyard. Place outside for approximately 2 hours. Now blend together boiling water and hot chocolate. Add movie in a 10 x 20 foot familyroom. Sprinkle whole recipe with laughter and serve.

Now you'll have a Great Snow Day!

White Hot Chocolate :lol:

4 ounces white chocolate, chopped

1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 3/4 cups milk

1/4 cup heavy cream

2 tablespoons brandy (optional)

candy canes

Combine the chopped chocolate and vanilla extract in a medium bowl.

Combine the milk and cream and heat over medium heat until simmering. Immediately pour the hot cream over the chopped chocolate and whisk to melt.

Add the brandy and pour into glass or ceramic mugs. Hang the candy cane over the edge of the mug and serve.

and my personal favorite B)

The Diary of a Snow Shoveler

December 8 - 6:00 PM. It started to snow. The first snow of the season and the wife and I took our tea and sat for hours by the window watching the huge soft flakes drift down from heaven. It looked like a Grandma Moses Print. So romantic we felt like newlyweds again. I love snow!

December 9 - We woke to a beautiful blanket of crystal white snow covering every inch of the landscape. What a fantastic sight! Can there be a more lovely place in the whole world? Moving here was the best idea I've ever had. Shoveled for the first time in years and felt like a boy again. I did both our driveway and the sidewalks. This afternoon the snowplow came along and covered up the sidewalks and closed in the driveway, so I got to shovel again. What a perfect life.

December 12 - The sun has melted all our lovely snow. Such a disappointment. My neighbor tells me not to worry, we'll definitely have a white Christmas. No snow on Christmas would be awful! Bob says we'll have so much snow by the end of winter, that I'll never want to see snow again. I don't think that's possible. Bob is such a nice man, I'm glad he's our neighbor.

December 14 - Snow lovely snow! 8" last night. The temperature dropped to -20. The cold makes everything sparkle so. The wind took my breath away, but I warmed up by shoveling the driveway and sidewalks. This is the life! The snowplow came back this afternoon and buried everything again. I didn't realize I would have to do quite this much shoveling, but I'll certainly get back in shape this way.

December 15 - 20 inches forecast. Sold my van and bought a 4x4 Blazer. Bought snow tires for the wife's car and 2 extra shovels. Stocked the freezer. The wife wants a wood stove in case the electricity goes out. I think that's silly. We aren't in Alaska, after all.

December 16 - Ice storm this morning. Fell on my butt on the ice in the driveway putting down salt. Hurt sooooo bad. The wife laughed for an hour, which I think was very cruel.

December 17 - Still way below freezing. Roads are too icy to go anywhere. Electricity was off for 5 hours. I had to pile the blankets on to stay warm. Nothing to do but stare at the wife and try not to irritate her. Guess I should've bought a wood stove, but won't admit it to her. God I hate it when she's right. I can't believe I'm freezing to death in my own living room.

December 20 - Electricity's back on, but had another 14" of the horrid stuff last night. More shoveling. Took all day. Stupid snowplow came by twice. Tried to find a neighbor kid to shovel, but they said they're too busy playing hockey. I think they're lying. Called the only hardware store around to see about buying a snow blower and they're out. Might have another shipment in March. I think they're lying. Bob says I have to shovel or the city will have it done and bill me. I think he's lying.

December 22 - Bob was right about a white Christmas because 13 more inches of the white stuff fell today, and it's so cold it probably won't melt till August. Took me 45 minutes to get all dressed up to go out to shovel and then I had to stop and help my wife. By the time I got back out there again I was too tired to shovel. Tried to hire Bob who has a plow on his truck for the rest of the winter; but he says he's too busy. I think the jerk is lying.

December 23 - Only 2" of snow today. And it warmed up to 0. The wife wanted me to decorate the front of the house this morning. What? Is she nuts!!!?? Why didn't she tell me to do that a month ago? She says she did but I think she's lying.

December 24 - 6". Snow packed so hard by snowplow, I broke the shovel. Thought I was having a heart attack. If I ever catch the idiot who drives that snowplow I'll drag him through the snow by his hair and beat him to death with my broken shovel. I know he hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shoveling and then he comes down the street at a 100 miles an hour and throws snow all over where I've just been! Tonight the wife wanted me to sing Christmas carols with her and open our presents, but I was too busy watching for that rotten snowplow.

December 25 - Merry -GROAN- Christmas! 20 more inches of the white slop tonight. Snowed in. The idea of shoveling makes my blood boil. I hate the snow! Then the snowplow driver came by asking for a donation and I hit him over the head with my shovel. The wife says I have a bad attitude. I think she's lost her mind. If I have to watch "It's A Wonderful Life" one more time, I'm going to stuff her into the microwave.

December 26 - Still snowed in. Why on earth did I ever move here? It was all HER idea. She's really getting on my nerves.

December 27 - Temperature dropped to -30 and the pipes froze, plumber came after 14 hours of waiting for him, he only charged me 1,400 to replace all my pipes.

December 28 - Warmed up to above -20. Still snowed in. THE WOMAN I MARRIED is driving me crazy!!!

December 29 - 10 more inches. Bob says I have to shovel the roof or it could cave in. That's the silliest thing I ever heard. How dumb does he think I am?

December 30 - Roof caved in. I beat up the snowplow driver! He is now suing me for a million dollars for the beating I gave him !!! The wife went home to her mother. 9" predicted.

December 31 - I set fire to what's left of the house. No more shoveling.

January 8 - Feel so good. I just love those little white pills they keep giving me. But wonder why I am tied to the bed?

A few years ago, I took my mom and son for a 5-hour drive to the mountains to get to play in the snow for a few hours. After the long drive home, we fell into bed. Of course, that night we had the first snow to fall in our area in *years* - even enough to stick around for a while. Figures!

Back in the winter of 2004 Halifax got hit by a blizzard and buried in snow. Since it was only around 4 months after Hurricane Juan had wreaked havoc in the city, the storm was dubbed White Juan. It was a great time to meet the neighbours since everyone was out shoveling. Some places the snow was a bit deeper than others.

IM007246Small.jpg

IM007249Small.jpg

It took a while for the city to clear the streets and get the snow trucked away.

IM007441Small.jpg

IM007434Small.jpg

IM007416Small.jpg

Hopefully we won't get that again this winter.

We had our first snow Thursday night but it only checked in at about half-an-inch. Saturday the weather got even with 6 inches of snow, sleet and freezing rain. Yesterday it was windy as heck (well below zero with the wind chill) and we had to shovel the 4 foot wall of ice the plows left for us. We made only enough room for the cars to get out. The rest will wait till spring!

Last night the house was making weird thumping noises. At first we thought a door was open & was slamming back & forth in the breeze. We couldn’t find any doors open and the noise went on till the deep of the night. I thought perhaps we were getting revisited by CCC - things that go bump in the night! After a particularly loud bang and screeching scared kids we repaired to the basement to see if the furnace or water heater were breaking apart. Nope all in good working order. Another bump a few minutes later and we turned off all the lights to see if perhaps kids were pelting the house with snow - I mean ice - balls. Nothing there and we tried again to get the kids in bed. I'm sitting at the computer about 15 minutes later and an even louder thump is heard and the kids are out of bed cowering together. OK time to put on the coats and boots and go outside & see what the heck is going on! It was gorgeous outside! The wind had died down, the snow was hard enough to walk on and glistened in the lights from the houses. The sky was spectacular, clear with constellations & planets just twinkling back at us. Nature's Christmas lights. We hear another thump so DH goes back inside to see if the kids heard it. I take off around the back to see if someone or something is in the backyard. I get to the darkest corner of the property and hear another thump. OK the chicken in me turned around and ran back to the front & the lights. We thought it might be a ground squirrel in the gutters but I figured they ran to ground days ago when the cold hit. I touched one of the downspouts and it was solid ice. Guess the sun all day had melted snow off the roof and it had accumulated in the downspouts. It was in the process of freezing and making the downspouts expand. At least that is what we think the noises were. That or the CCC has a friend out there making noisy rounds! Hmmmm an early reindeer visit perhaps?

Kids could care less about the weather yesterday though. Cold did not bother them. They sledded all day and decided to make a snow fort. Here they are in that fort today which they made even higher after I took this pic.

49ac8bd8-3457-40e2-88a6-00a0e9b575d9.jpg

Edited by GPX Navigators

About 2? years ago we were stationed in Wildflecken, Germany (I think it was January, not sure) Anyway, all the troops left to spend 6 weeks at Grafenwoehr (a training area). I swear, it snowed everyday they were gone.

We (my next door neighbor and I) got together and took turns watching kids and shoveling snow. If the snow didn't get shoveled out of our parking spots and sidewalks our husbands could be disciplined, so it was really important.

We filled up every empty spot we could find with snow, we probably shoveled at least 4 times a day (I am NOT kidding about that). So, we started pushing the snow across the street, until the Military Police told us to stop, before we blocked the road. Finally they brought in the Engineer BN and moved some of the snow.

The other wives made similar arrangements, except for the ones with kids old enough to do it for them :lol:

No snow yet here but I will tell a tale of when I was a kid. We always made a snow pile in my backyard and would ski down it. Mind you it was only 3 feet tall at best. One day we had a snow day and we decided to make a big hill this time. We started to roll the snow ball down the street from my friend's house 4 doors down. It quickly became too big for the two of us so one by one all the kids around started to join us and push that snow ball. We were getting close to my house when a car came down the road. By this time it was so big it blocked the road. He was pretty ticked off at us and laid on the horn but there was nothing we could do and he had to back down the road. We could barely push it by then and finally got to my front yard. There was absolutely no way we could get it to the back yard so we decided to try for the front. Well it broke as we pushed it into the ditch! It must have been 8 feet tall--no kidding. As it melted we found the mittens that various kids had lost while pushing it!

A small toen here has an ice carving contest every year. Last year I think it was someone carved one for his girfrind saying will you marry me and he got down on one knee in front of it and proposed! I cna't find the picture of that but if I do I will post it.

I went to college at Michigan Tech and each year they have a Winter Carnival--so much snow up there they have to do something! Here is a picture of the kind of statues they build.

f150e42d-dfc1-4119-8b59-0b20c529e483.jpg

Another fun thing to do when it snows!!

72dcef01-ea8e-4550-aa99-11e2922417f9.jpg

snow_hat.jpgHappy Snow Day!

Gee how did you find me? LOL

Actually there had NEVER been snow on the Texas/Mexico border near Harlingen/McAllen but 3 winters ago, we go to bed late on Christmas eve to snow coming down, we are visiting dad there and laughing at how we had brought the snow from Alaska, never figured it would last to morning so took a few pictures and crashed .

wake up the next morning to 2" of snow on the pal trees and poinsettas, it was beautiful

But if you have ever heard of stuip crooks, you might believe me when I tell you that to guy who robbed a convenience store and walked home had a rude awakening by the cops who had followed his foot prints through the snow to his house and arrested him, well DUH.

If I can find the pics of palms and flowers I will send it. People in the late 50's were awestruck as they had never even seen sleet. :lol:

It think it was in 2001, we had some substantial snow (about a foot), but the drifts were much higher. I have Pug dogs and they were actually able to "walk" over the 4 foot fence that surrounds our yard, into the front yard. They all thought they were being sneaky, but we headed them off at the pass. I acutally had to make lanes in the snow so they good go "Potty", and our back yard looked like a maze. :lol:

snow_hat.jpgHappy Snow Day!

Gee how did you find me? LOL

Actually there had NEVER been snow on the Texas/Mexico border near Harlingen/McAllen but 3 winters ago, we go to bed late on Christmas eve to snow coming down, we are visiting dad there and laughing at how we had brought the snow from Alaska, never figured it would last to morning so took a few pictures and crashed .

wake up the next morning to 2" of snow on the pal trees and poinsettas, it was beautiful

But if you have ever heard of stuip crooks, you might believe me when I tell you that to guy who robbed a convenience store and walked home had a rude awakening by the cops who had followed his foot prints through the snow to his house and arrested him, well DUH.

If I can find the pics of palms and flowers I will send it. People in the late 50's were awestruck as they had never even seen sleet. :lol:

Lol I thought you would like that :lol:

What a day. After the snowstorm blew through we ended up with 28 cm of snow...another 2-4 cm expected tonight and for the next couple of days. PengoDaddy worked hard today snow blowing and shoveling...even helping our neighbor. I trucked my way into work. I waited a bit before leaving and made there not too late. All the joys of Canadian winters I suppose. :lol:

I used a random number generator and the winner is post #33 - byrned fish. Please contact me with your address so that I can mail out a coin to you. :lol:

Thanks everyone for your entries. The stories, pictures and humour were great on a day like today!! I gotta find my way usyoopers house and convince those penguin decorations to come home with me . :D:P