Placing Trackables in Multi and Puzzle caches

We did a multi the other day that had been last found in August but had a TB dropped in it in July. The poor old TB had been sitting there for nearly 5 months :lol:

Personally unless the TB's mission is to be placed in multi or puzzle caches I always place in trads because I assume that trads are found more frequently than multis and puzzles so the TB moves on faster.

I have a multi that is very difficult to complete and the FTF placed a TB and a geocoin in it and month later it was found again and the TB and coin weren't taken.....I'm not blaming anyone, that's how they want to play the game which is fine, I just feel sorry for the owners having there trackables held up for so long!

I guess if you don't want your TB to go into a multi then it should say so on it's mission but should you have to say that! Should it just be common sense not to put TB's in Multi's or is it OK because it's all part of the game.

I suppose another option is to put in the multi cache description that no TB's are to be placed without the owners approval.

How do you chaps feel?

BTW. Does anyone know if there are any TB's out there where there mission is to only visit multi and/or puzzle caches?

Cheers

TLHM

See the links in my sig line for a list of other trackables that have been standing still for too long.

That's an interesting list. Just over 60% of them are in multi or puzzle caches. One TB has been in the same cache for over a year B) If it was mine I'd be pulling my hair out :lol:

I think from now on any TB I release will state no multi's or puzzles I want them to TRAVEL!

I think from now on any TB I release will state no multi's or puzzles I want them to TRAVEL!

Rather than STATING anything, a polite request will I'm sure be much better received. If I see a TB I will try and move it... If I'm given a list of rules & regulations from the TB's owner on what I can and can't do I'll simply not bother.

If you want your TB to travel but folks ignore it because of a list of rules and regs, it ain't gonna be doing much traveling is it?

If a particular cache is difficult to get to or is a Puzzle that takes some solving, putting TB's in it can often act as encouragement for someone to attempt it.

Having a list of TB's that need rescuing can actually considered to be a fun part of the game - Finding a cache & rescuing a TB - lots of Kudos for the TB rescuer/cache finder!

J

Having a list of TB's that need rescuing can actually considered to be a fun part of the game - Finding a cache & rescuing a TB - lots of Kudos for the TB rescuer/cache finder!

Too right!

We retrieved a much sought after TB recently from a tough puzzle cache a few weeks back. The TB was being watched by about 17 people. A couple of days later we bumped into another cacher who (when we introduced ourselves) knew right away that we had the TB! That was pretty cool! B)

We then placed it in one of our own member-only puzzles where it stayed for a few more weeks :lol:

The TB was needed to find another puzzle cache - hence the interest

I don't think prescribing the type of cache a TB should be put in is the answer to keeping them moving. There are plenty of simple multi's which get lots of visitors, similarly there are plenty of trads that are quiet either because they're difficult, or just don't have the footfall. By stating that a TB mustn't be left in a multi or a puzzle you could end up with it being left in a cache longer because finders can't guarantee that their next outiing will be to a trad cache, or someone might pick it up then hold onto it for longer because their next outing happens to be to multis or puzzles.

If a particular cache is difficult to get to or is a Puzzle that takes some solving, putting TB's in it can often act as encouragement for someone to attempt it.

To that end I dropped a couple of geocoins in a puzzle cache I had solved previously - no one has been near it since I visited in September B)

I may end up going back to rescue them at this rate :lol:

To that end I dropped a couple of geocoins in a puzzle cache I had solved previously - no one has been near it since I visited in September B)

I may end up going back to rescue them at this rate :lol:

Wasn't there some kind of bug (programming feature not a McD toy with a dog tag) someplace that allowed you to track the location of a TB in caches, thus allowing you to see the locations of Puzzle caches without solving them? Or was that fixed? If not, then I guess that would be a reson to not put a TB in a puzzle cache.

J

I tend not to place TB's in big multis or difficult puzzles simply because the attendance frequency will generally be much lower than simple multis or standards. As the owner of a few multis and puzzles (some difficult) I take responsibility on checking the length of a TB's residence and will attend myself to move them on if they appear to be growing roots - though I must say I have been guilty of picking up TB's and in my rush to move them on or if caches are far enough apart on my trip out dropping them off the same day placing them in caches not suited. However I do find it harder to find suitable containers and find myself having to put TB's into multis or puzzle caches because all the other caches visited that day are micros even though they may all have been trads.

I tend not to place TB's in big multis or difficult puzzles simply because the attendance frequency will generally be much lower than simple multis or standards. As the owner of a few multis and puzzles (some difficult) I take responsibility on checking the length of a TB's residence and will attend myself to move them on if they appear to be growing roots - though I must say I have been guilty of picking up TB's and in my rush to move them on or if caches are far enough apart on my trip out dropping them off the same day placing them in caches not suited. However I do find it harder to find suitable containers and find myself having to put TB's into multis or puzzle caches because all the other caches visited that day are micros even though they may all have been trads.

I place them in traditionals. I don't have problems with TBs so much, but I definitely think geocoins should be placed in harder caches like multis etc so that the icon hunters amongst actually have to earn their coin.

TBs I do just move onto trads. If I can help with a TB mission, I will do, but I generally don't go out of my way to assist. It is, after all, only a game! :lol:

I place them in traditionals. I don't have problems with TBs so much, but I definitely think geocoins should be placed in harder caches like multis etc so that the icon hunters amongst actually have to earn their coin.

Yeah I like that idea! :santa:

Yes... but remember the geocoin is not a prize for cache owners to use to lure people to their cache, but is a traveller which may have a mission of it's own. It may be frustrating for coin and TB owners to have their travelling coin stuck in a cache which does not get done very often. Recently we had a coin stuck in a local puzzle cache for 12 months... and when it got rescued it was stuffed almost straight away into another puzzle cache. Seems rather unfair.

I certainly find it frustrating when one of my coins or TBs gets stuck in a puzzle cache. I have a coin at the moment that has been stuck here since June. :(

Tony

Contact the cache owner and ask them to rescue and move on.

Now that's a thought. email sent

Thanks for that

Tony

The general turnover of cachers might be slightly lower for puzzles and multis but I think the biggest factor is how isolated the cache is.

The frequency of visitors seems more related to how many other caches are within easy reach rather than the type of cache. It's pretty clear that a standard multi/puzzle with 3 or 4 other caches within say a mile, will be visited fairly regularly whereas a trad away from civilisation with no other caches for miles will rarely be visited.

The general turnover of cachers might be slightly lower for puzzles and multis but I think the biggest factor is how isolated the cache is.

The frequency of visitors seems more related to how many other caches are within easy reach rather than the type of cache. It's pretty clear that a standard multi/puzzle with 3 or 4 other caches within say a mile, will be visited fairly regularly whereas a trad away from civilisation with no other caches for miles will rarely be visited.

Tell me about it. :D:D:(

Ive got a slow moving bug but its mission is to be as HArd as Nails

I just move em when i see them and try to keep them on mission.

Any emails asking me to move bugs on from my caches have been responded to.

The number of bugs that go missing is probably worse that the number that get stuck for a while.

Puzzle caches tend to get done by the locals and then the visits vastly reduce so id guess they should be avoided :rolleyes:

and yes i know the cache its in above does not quite fit its mission but we dont mind :unsure:

BTW. Does anyone know if there are any TB's out there where there mission is to only visit multi and/or puzzle caches?

Cheers

TLHM

The first coin I found 'Aha!' has a mission to visit only puzzle caches where possible. I think there are others. Still my favorite coin as it glows in the dark and is lightbulb shaped.