Sundial Geocoin

ozymandiasism

After being away for a few months... the relocation… the new job… the new place… and the new back pain (ouch!)… I am finally ready to reopen my store dwprods again! And better yet... a new geocoin design!

Sundial Geocoin

This is a horizontal sundial… a flip-up pin to tell time on one side, and a “glow in the dark” big and little dipper on the other.

2069873659_3d2dd3f52e_o.jpg

Coming to you in Mid-March, 2008

Thank you!

d

<indirect links removed by moderator>

Edited by Eartha

What is the top portion of the back....

Looks like it is hinged. He mentions a flip-up pin to tell time. If that is the pin on the front that flips, I can't visualize how it is hinged on the back but I am sure he will explain. B)

.......and forgive me but what does the stars have to do with a sundial?

Sun guides you in the day, north star guides you at night??? B)

Either way I like it. :lol:

Sun guides you in the day, north star guides you at night??? B)

The front is a sundial = time not navigation. B):lol:

Can't wait to get an answer to both. To me it looks like another coin where the front was well thought out, looks good and it the dial actually flips up is very nice. The back is an after thought, at least for me.

Sorry about the delay. Let me answer some of the questions above:

Price:

I am not sure how much these coins will be yet, but they will definitely be under $10. Yeah, I know, that's not really saying much...

Time vs. Navigation:

Sundial and the star constellation represents the contract between day and night. During the day, you can use the sundial (the sun)... and flip over the coin at night and you can "see" the stars (hence glow in the dark, which by the way, the paint actually works VERY well!)

Interesting question about time vs. navigation though, but you can actually navigate with a sundial, and you can tell time with the constellation (upon some research)

Finishings, etc.:

Two-tones plating are gold and nickel, just like the double and triple dragon geocoins. As far as quantity goes, it will either be 750 or 1000, but I'm leaning more towards 750. Also, the coin is made with zinc alloy, so it is not as heavy as my other coins. This is the only way to create the sundial geocoin with the complex design.

What IS that thing at the top portion of the back of the coin?

The pin mechanism consists of 3 parts: The pin, the hinge, and the back plate. When I was talking to the coin manufacturer, they explained to me that the back plate (top portion of the back of the coin) can match the same plating with the rest of the coin, but the design on it can't be too complicated. I figure a simple design at the back is probably a better idea... less production problem... However, you can't tell from samples that the back plate and the coin are 2 pieces. Quite well done really!

Anyways, hope I answer most of the questions!

d

I was thinking about the otherside, we can't see the Big or Little Dipper down under. :santa:

The coin will work as sundial will work anywhere under the sun :santa: But it will be accurate to a certain degree. Obviously, it depends on the latitude of where you are. This coin can only provide approximation, esp with a fixed degree of the gnomon (the style).

Will the coin work in the Sothern Hemishphere???

Judging from some research I have done online, seems like you can still see the big dipper from the southern hemisphere. The closer you are to the equator, the more stars you can see from the North Celestial Pole. The Southern Cross would be the guidance stars on the South side of the hemisphere.

Will the coin work in the Sothern Hemishphere???

Thanks for all the kind words!!!

Individual coin will be $9.50 +S/H

Geocoin Set (3 finishings) will be $28 + S/H

regards

d

Right on! Is there anyway to get reminded of what we reserved? I did so when this was first posted, and can't remember what I put down for (I may want to change... really like these)

Thanks!

Thanks for all the kind words!!!

Individual coin will be $9.50 +S/H

Geocoin Set (3 finishings) will be $28 + S/H

regards

d

Right on! Is there anyway to get reminded of what we reserved? I did so when this was first posted, and can't remember what I put down for (I may want to change... really like these)

Thanks!

I do have a reservation list but I do not have it with me at this moment. You can make another reservation and note (in the country field, or something) that this is the updated order. Reservations is primarily for my own use so I know how many coins I should mint. However, those on the list will have the chance to buy them before general B)

hope this helps!

d

In a couple of weeks, the sundial geocoins will be here!! woohoo!!!!

There is just one more thing to do.... Sundial icon. I hate doing icons, and I am not good at it. So, I am leaving the design to your capable hands!.

Now, I am announcing the Sundial Geocoin Icon Contest!

I will be offering a set of sundial geocoins (one of each finishing: two-tones, antique copper and antique gold) as a prize for the best icon.

Rules:

• Submit both 16x16 and 32x32 icons as gifs. Icons need to be actual size [they should look good in small sizes]
  • Keep in mind of the sundial theme

Please submit your design to derek@dwprods.com

And make sure you reserve your sundial geocoins!