What geocoins do I want?

Theotokos

Our collection of coins has been coming along nicely (I think) but purchasing of any new coins is going to have to slow down considerably - the pressures of family life need to take priority. I'm just hoping to hang on to what we've got..but that's another story. Anyway, once in a while I still hope that we will be able to buy the odd coin or two as there are so many nice coins coming out all the time. We've also done a few trades and they have been a lot of fun and we also love the secret missions. So I am looking at building a reasonable seeking list to give ourselves some nice goals to reach for and not embarrass ourselves in trade offers.

I'm looking for coins that my kids would like to collect as well as interesting an unique items. They also need to be something that we have a possiblity of actually getting. I would love a Moun10bike but I don't think it will happen.. I was looking on some of the coin tracking sites and it's a daunting list to go through so I thought it would be a fun idea to ask what others would suggest. On my current seeking list I have:

Loggerhead Turtle (any)

GW5 Sunburst

7th Anniversary Geocoin

Earth Turtle

Rain Forest Jewel

South Pointing Chariot

Templar Geocoin

Anthus laptop

Avalanche 2006/2007

Any Mystery Coins

I'm thinking even some of these may be out of reach for us but maybe still a possibility. So do you have some idea of coins that you think are pretty cool and are still reasonable for someone like me to think I could make a trade for? Thanks

Those are all cool coins in my mind too. In my collection I started off with personal coins of people I knew and my state coins which supported my local geocaching organization. Then coins of states I have cached in or lived in. Then as I started trading more I was interested in the persoanls of people I traded with. Hmm then dog related coins then...... and so it went LOL!!!!

You totally want to trade for one of these:

tradingfish.jpg

Aren't they cute? They make a good spot in anyone's collection!

On a serious note, your collection should be about you. I agree with LadyBee4T. My collection kind of started out with commercial coins that meant something to me (pumpkins, scorpio, etc). Then when I got enough momentum to actually collect the coins, I kind of went crazy and got a few more than I probably should have. Now I focus my collection to personals and coins from my home states. (I just snagged a really cool Utah coin in a trade last week. It's a beaut!)

I also have a collection of coins that I purchased to release as travellers and then was to lazy to activate, so there's that too. :lol:

But seriously, that fishy coin, it definately belongs in your collection.

I personally love the South Pointing Chariot, I love anything by Chris Mackey, and I absolutely think the Isle Of Man is a gorgeous coin.

Hmm... I love any of the stained glass coins, and I personally favor translucent enamel coins in general.

But to me, my FAVORITE coins to collect are those who belong to friends, and people I know. I love personal coin trades - its all about the meaning.

Other than that, I just collect what I like!

Something fishy about that coin Brady....

I started off collecting MI coins and coins from people I knew or had met. Lately, my collection dropped dramatically...but I think that was a blessing at this point (read that as WOW, met sooo many wonderful people through this ordeal). You'll get the idea of what you want or don't, just don't try to get every coin that comes out (unless you're UNBELIEVABLE wealthy...and then buy dupes for me lol)...you'll lose your mind!!

I wish I still had some personals, I'd trade with you for certain!! Maybe soon....around tax time (if I'm lucky). Good luck on the collection...believe me, it'll grow sooo fast, you'll soon be needing storage!

I think what happens a lot is you first buy what you like, then you buy everything regardless of whether you like it or not. Or you love a certain coin and it comes in 30 different metals, you can't decide which ones to buy so you buy them all Finally, you get into trouble and put on a budget. Sigh!

So, if you can pick out certain categories of coins that you like and stick with it, you'll be better off than most. I buy a bit of everything these days but really try to only buy what means something to me.....and then I try not to buy up every metal of that coin.

I think it's fun to go through all the coins on cointracking.com or geocoincollection.com or ebay and just see what jumps out at you. Some of the really rare coins, you have to ask yourself, do I really like it or do I want it just because everyone wants it.

I like to attend events and see the coins other people bring. I've purchased a few older coins and when I get them, I'm disappointed. Same with not buying coins, and when I see them in person, decide they're really nice. We attend a monthly breakfast event. Each month, more and more people bring coins for discovery, trade, or just to show others. We love to bring coins just so others can see and enjoy them.

I think that fish needs to get into MY collection!!!!

You and me both!!

Naomi :lol:

I bet I know someone who would trade with you. :lol:

You and me both!!

Naomi :lol:

I bet I know someone who would trade with you. :lol:

Do tell!!

tradingfish.jpg

On a serious note, your collection should be about you. I agree with LadyBee4T. My collection kind of started out with commercial coins that meant something to me (pumpkins, scorpio, etc). Then when I got enough momentum to actually collect the coins, I kind of went crazy and got a few more than I probably should have. Now I focus my collection to personals and coins from my home states. (I just snagged a really cool Utah coin in a trade last week. It's a beaut!)

I also have a collection of coins that I purchased to release as travellers and then was to lazy to activate, so there's that too. :lol:

But seriously, that fishy coin, it definately belongs in your collection.

I'd also like to trade for one of these, but since I have no personal geocoin of my own I figured I am out of luck :lol:

I'll stop the hijack of this thread, by inviting anyone who wants to trade to send me an email through the site. Back on topic... :lol:

Trade for what you like. :lol: Like what you trade.

Thanks and I agree..I have got a few nice trades. My problem is I don't always know what to look for. There are so many coins out there that I was hoping folks could give me some ideas of nice coins I can try to hunt down. Without names of coins or knowing what to look for, I can only wait and see what comes up in the trade thread - which I do watch now. I would like to know some more coins that I can then go out and seek myself.

Here is my advice

(who knows, it may even save your sanity and/or bank account)

Focus on what you find interesting

Try to ignore outside influences

I would discourage you from chasing after a particular coin just because everybody else seems to want one

Here are a few ideas, if you want to "specialize" -

Event coins

State coins and/or country coins

Coins with animals on them (any old, or just your favorites)

Coins with moving parts

Personal coins (meaning that it includes a team or individual name on it)

Certain finish(es) - eg copper and/or black nickel

Coins featuring mountains and/or other nature scenes

Size/shape - eg non-round, 2-inches or larger, micro, etc

Holiday coins

Unusual coins - eg hinged, multi-part, etc

Coins with cutout areas

Coins with transparent/translucent areas

Coins with a little hole, so that you can hang them on a Christmas tree

Coins that glow in the dark

I doubt that I have listed even half of the possibilities

Within any of the above, you can restrict yourself to trackable, non-trackable, or both

Above all - stay within your budget . . . and of course - have fun !

I have to agree with some of the above statement, I had to stay away for awhile as I was buying EVERYTHING, then I found I really like colorful and/or odd shaped coins and now my coins are going in that direction, even though my personal is round, the designer really likes round and hey, who am I to tell a designer how to do their job LOL :) but seriously I really enjoy the trades I do with others, they always have a story to remember when I look back through the coins. Good luck which ever direction you decide to go :wub:

On my current seeking list I have:

<snip>

7th Anniversary Geocoin

<snip>

I'm not sure you are aware of this or not, but in case you aren't... the 7th anniversary coin & pin set is still for sale. $6.00 ($8.00 shipped)

That's not a bad price at all for a such a large geocoin and a pin.

I actually didn't have the right name listed. What I'm looking for is the Geocaching's 7th Anniversary Geocoin.

test.gif

Another something that I would add is to not get overly excited if you can't get a coin on your list right away. I recently completed a few trades for some coins that I never in a million years thought that I would ever get, but being in the right place at the right time really worked out for me.