Mission Complete

J'nK

Here are a few of mine:

1492 first wanted to get to Asia, by heading West, which was completed. Then it wanted to keep heading West and get back to the US. It is now in California with no mission other than to travel. It has over 35,000 miles!

I dropped off Dieses kleine Schwein ging zu... with a mission to head back to Rhode Island. It made it, and I actually had the TB back in my hands before re-releasing it.

County Pork made it to Blarney Castle and back to me, before I re-released it.

Our first TB, Our Family, just met its goal, after 1.5 years on the road and 6094 miles. I am debating between leaving it there for a while or having it head towards home. I eventually would love to see them all come back again.

Since that first TB, we have released TBs in groups. Of the first group that we released, one is almost at its goal, after about eleven months. It is in the hands of a cacher who is going to deliver it soon.

We haven't lost any of our TBs yet, thankfully, but some have made lots of detours.

One of our Tbs, American Heroes has been getting some great pics so far. It is one of my husband's military medals.

We haven't had any bad experiences with our TBs, but we have lost a few geocoins out there.

I have a question that is kinda on kinda off topic. What do you do with a Tb that you find in a cache that has completed its goal. Should you leave it untill another goal has been created or move it for miles?

Just did not see the sense in starting another thread.

It kinds of depends on the goal. If the mission was to say visit Washington DC, you can just leave it in the area. Other people could pick it up and visit various locations in the city.

Whenever you are in doubt as to what to do with the bug, check with the owner. If you don't get a response just drop it in a cache and don't worry about it.

I have a question that is kinda on kinda off topic. What do you do with a Tb that you find in a cache that has completed its goal. Should you leave it untill another goal has been created or move it for miles?

I do agree. It depends on what the goal is. Typcially, what I would do is contact the travel bug owner and ask how s/he would like the travel bug routed. Depending on if or what their answer is, I sometimes put a post-it note with the travel bug indicating where it is to go next. There are those instances where the owner does not respond quick enough. What I do then is just move it on to another somewhat local cache in the area.

I do agree. It depends on what the goal is. Typcially, what I would do is contact the travel bug owner and ask how s/he would like the travel bug routed. Depending on if or what their answer is, I sometimes put a post-it note with the travel bug indicating where it is to go next. There are those instances where the owner does not respond quick enough. What I do then is just move it on to another somewhat local cache in the area.

Very clever <_<

I thought I remembered a "TB Success Stories" threat or something along those lines here, and I have one to add to the list. Happy news is always good, right?

I helped a TB reach it's destination: TB1CVQ5

You will notice that I held onto the TB for a long time - don't hate me just yet! I communicated with the owner that I could probably help their TB complete its stated mission and would they mind if I held onto their bug for more than the recommended two weeks. They indicated it would be OK for me to keep it, and so I did. Unfortunately, school and ACL reconstruction (surgery) prolonged my time with their TB, but I was able to place it in its destination just last week! Hopefully the owners can pick it up and feel glad that there are indeed happy endings in geocaching.

Hopefully my post will bring more recent success stories to these forums - thanks for reading, and happy caching!

Five years ago we released our 3rd TB, "Best of Friends", a little Snoopy-and-Woodstock figurine that we had picked up as cache trade. Its (imaginary) goal was to wander around in search of the elusive Daisy Hill Puppy Farm.

Two years later, while the bug was roaming around Canada, we got a notification that a new cache had just been published in Rhode Island, called "Daisy Hill Puppy Farm 1095", so I added a note about it on the cache page. (It wasn't listed a the bug's real goal, just more of a "Hey, look at that" kind of note.)

The bug spent the next three years traveling to all four corners of the lower 48, and just a couple of weeks ago it made a trip from Texas up to Rhode Island, straight to the Daisy Hill Puppy Farm. It made me smile -- not just that it actually got there, but that it has been traveling safely for more than 5 years and 10,000 miles, and is still going. ;)

==================

And an update about "Scott (going home to Holland)" (which we first wrote about in this post): Scott was dropped into a cache in Holland last week! ;) He's just barely over the border, so still not quite within easy reach of Scott's dad -- but we're delighted that he's sooo close.

Edited by the hermit crabs

I have 2 TB's complete their missions and get back to New Zealand.

#1 was Calgary Token made into a TB and made to Calgary ,Canada and home again.

#2 was 6 pack of Coke bottles (KEYRING) that went to the Coke HQ in Georgia and that too made it back.

Both tooka few years to complete their mission. :):D

Our "mission completed" was actually our son's travel bug, GEO-JAGUAR, which was sent out for a Geography Fair project. Geo-Jaguar was out for about a year and a half and travelled 32,485 miles, visiting many different countries along the way. While out in the field, finders took good care of it and also sent pictures, brochures etc., all of which my son placed into a binder to display with a map of its travels.

16977_300.jpg

Geo-Jaguar at the launch

The project not only won a first place ribbon, but also won the Presidents Award trophy overall. There are pictures on the cache page, and the logs are very interesting. Check them out,

f38ad4b3-18ec-4a1f-8735-c1fbde0e2b99.jpg

At the Geography Fair