Waterproof Paper?

swizzle

What's the cheapest way to go? I'd like to set up an underwatercache but I'm not sure what route I should go. Are the rite in the rain notepad waterproof or water resistant? I'd hate to buy one and submerge it only to find that over time I wasted my money. I was also thinking tyvek but whats the best way to get a small quantity of it and how would you make it into a suitable pad? I think rolling it into a scroll log would be a pain in an underwater cache. I would hope that the finders would pull it out of the water and sign the log instead of holding their breath to sign it. Any thoughts? The cache would be in 10 feet of water or less. I'm guessing no more then 6 feet but 10 is possible. I have no intentions of waterproofing the container. I've heard of people taking balast stones as a trade item and then let the cache float away. So I'll probably fill it full of holes and make sure any trade items are waterproof. Thanx for your help. Swizzle

Any piece of white lexan or plexi-glas can be used. Scuff it heavily with 220 grit sandpaper on an orbital sander. Any lead pencil will make a legible writing on it and it's permanent until scrubbed with soap. The writing can be done in the water or out and the result is the same.

Otherwise, underwater paper is available at a cost of about a buck and a half for each 8 1/2 X11 sheet. Ordinary lead pencil works the same on it as the scuffed lexan.

edit:

On the buoyancy issue, consider Archimedes' Principle. The weight of the water displaced by the submerged object is the amount of weight required to keep the object at neutral buoyancy. Therefore, it is wise to actually double the weight of the ballast to make sure that your cache stays submerged.

Edited by Team Magic
I was also thinking tyvek but whats the best way to get a small quantity of it and how would you make it into a suitable pad?

Well, those postal mailers are made out of tyvek, and are free at the post office. Of course, it's illegal to use them for anything else other than mailing stuff. I'm just sayin'. *wink wink*

Rite in the Rain is water resistant, not waterproof. National Geographic Adventure Paper is waterproof, but I doubt it would stand up to extended time underwater.

Also consider putting your actual cache on dry land and sinking an object with the coordinates underwater. That way you still have an underwater hunt, but no worries about keeping the cache dry.

Not a getting started issue so moving to general forum

A tyvek strip would work.

Or, maybe some laminated "map" paper (Staple's/Office depot?) .

Simply add in your notes (large) for folks to bring a sharpie or paint stick.

Did a cache that turned out to be a metal "plate" a while back and CO required them.

Funny to read logs of folks who DON'T read cache pages saying, "Couldn't figure how to write on it."

Rite in the Rain is water resistant, not waterproof. National Geographic Adventure Paper is waterproof, but I doubt it would stand up to extended time underwater...

Dead on on the Rite in the rain. The NG paper is displayed at the Boise REI in a lexan bottle. It's held up for the 2 years that I saw it on display. I don't think the water is all that fresh, but the paper looks ok. It may not be perfect but it's probably the best version of underwater paper that's generally available.

Are the rite in the rain notepad waterproof or water resistant? I'd hate to buy one and submerge it only to find that over time I wasted my money. I was also thinking tyvek but whats the best way to get a small quantity of it and how would you make it into a suitable pad?

You can look for Tyger log sheets, they are water proof, I believe.

Maybe I should sink the container but make sure the log is completely waterproofed before submerging? A small micro scroll log made out of tyvek could easily be placed in a bison tube and then place that in another watertight container. I do like the underwater coords to the dry land cache idea as well. Maybe an underwater 5 part multi? I think I would have to stamp a few brass tags with the coords if I was gonna do it that way. That would be waterproof. Swizzle

I have some National Geographic paper in the field, has been out for about 9 months now. The last finder reported that it is cracking! I need to go and check that out myself. Note, this piece of paper is essentially exposed to the elements but not submerged.

Paul

I think it might be damaged by sunlight. I know of one cache where NGAP was used for a stage and it became brittle and basically disintegrated.

FWIW - I am a dealer for Rite in the Rain. They have several products that are the best material on the market for Geocaching log sheets in my opinion. The following are the two options that suit themselves best to Geocaching:

1) Original "Rite in the Rain" All Weather Writing Paper - Designed for all weather situations. Best used for log in caches in challenging environments where the log is protected somewhat from the elements. Much better suited for log books than standard paper. Completely recyclable.

2) "Dura Copy" Synthetic Paper - Designed for extreme situations where weatherproofness and waterproofness is most important. Best used for logs in extreme environments or when log may be exposed directly to the outside elements. Made from a synthetic stock, this waterproof paper can also be used for underwater logs or logs that are continually in extremely wet environments.

Hope that sheds some light on the products that Rite in the Rain offer. I am about to make an order this week and if you might have some requests on products, just PM me. Be on the lookout as I will be offering a full Rite in the Rain line available through the store within the next week or two.

Edited by logonwheeler

I have some National Geographic paper in the field, has been out for about 9 months now. The last finder reported that it is cracking! I need to go and check that out myself. Note, this piece of paper is essentially exposed to the elements but not submerged.

Paul

I think it might be damaged by sunlight. I know of one cache where NGAP was used for a stage and it became brittle and basically disintegrated.

The sun doesn't shine on this log.

Paul

The sun doesn't shine on this log.

So THAT'S where it's hidden! I never thought to look there. :laughing:;):lol:

Why don't you make sure your container is water tight then put it on a line with a retrcting hook. then tie another line around a cement block with a loop in that line. Contect the hook to the loop then sink your cache. now when they find it they can bring it up and sign it , trade items then they put it back. Sounds easy to me. That's what I going to try next year when the weather gets nice again. :laughing:

i'm hoping to put it out far enough in the water so that when the water goes down it'll still be completely submerged in the water year round. If I ran a line to it then the winters ice might break the line. Its definately a work in progress. I'll be picking up parts and pieces throughout the winter and dropping the cache in the spring time. I also want to make sure its winter accessable with an ice drill and magnet. I had better make sure the coords are dead on for this one. Can you imagine drilling an ice hole three feet from the cache and not being able to get it. Swizzle