which USB-Serial cable for Garmin 60CSx?

Hi, I'm a Garmin-Mac user trying to go paperless. Up til now I've been downloading waypoints from my PC at work but am trying to move this process to my Mac at home and use MacSimpleGPS. From reading the Forums, I think my frustration up to this point as been that the Mac is not compatible with the Garmin USB cable and I need to get a USB-Serial connector. I'm assuming there are different types??? - please advise, many thanks,

Heidi of IThacaDoodle

[Without being disrespectful of your mac . Why not find a free old pc that you just use for this job.

A Freebee that works fine for web info

like geocaching .

Im not sure how much the cable is but it seemed to me that the serial cable for gpsr's were not that inexpensive .

The downside of is of course you need a place to put the pc .

Sorry if I offened your Mac .

Edited by LECTRAGLIDE

I have a USB to Serial Adapter from CABLES UNLIMITED. It comes with a mini cd that is loaded with drivers. Packages says it is supports 98SE, 2000, XP & Mac OS 8.6+

It transfers data at 9600, so pack your lunch.

It cost $19.19 from Fry’s two years ago. I believe it is Fry’s item # 4161333.

USB cable provided by Garmin is not compatible with MAC?

Yeah, that doesn't make sense to me, either.

I currently have a Garmin GPS III with a Keyspan USB-serial adapter, but I imagine that my next GPSr will have USB, so I'll be interested to hear the resolution of this situation.

Heidi, what happens when you connect the Garmin to your Mac and try to upload or download data?

Patty

The cable provided by Garmin does physically connect with the MAC but it seems that the Mac programs compatible for downloading GPX files require serial connection rather than USB. When I try to transfer Waypoints, nothing happens when the USB cable is connected. I've just ordered a USB to RS 232 serial 9 pin DB9 connector from ebay. I hope this is what I'm looking for. I will report back either way once I've given it a try.

To answer the other query about just getting a low end PC, I'm looking to be able to download Pocket Queries on the road and will only have one laptop (MAC) with me.

thanks all, Heidi

The cable provided by Garmin does physically connect with the MAC but it seems that the Mac programs compatible for downloading GPX files require serial connection rather than USB.

Which programs have you tried, Heidi? You mentioned MacSimpleGPS; which others? I wonder whether they might be older programs that have not been updated since Garmin introduced models with USB ports.

Although, as I mentioned, I don't yet have a USB GPSr, I have every confidence that the software I currently use (MacGPS Pro) will work with one when I do, because there are many references to USB support on its website. For example, there's an entire page listing the GPS units it's compatible with. Your 60CSx is one of them, and the compatibility chart says the cable you got with the unit is fine.

I've just ordered a USB to RS 232 serial 9 pin DB9 connector from ebay. I hope this is what I'm looking for.

So your model has both USB and serial ports? Well then, those older programs should work with the serial port--although the data transfer will be a lot slower than with USB.

Patty

Hi, I'm a Garmin-Mac user trying to go paperless. Up til now I've been downloading waypoints from my PC at work but am trying to move this process to my Mac at home and use MacSimpleGPS. From reading the Forums, I think my frustration up to this point as been that the Mac is not compatible with the Garmin USB cable and I need to get a USB-Serial connector. I'm assuming there are different types??? - please advise, many thanks,

Heidi of IThacaDoodle

The Garmin USB/USB mini cable will work with a Mac.

I just tested all of the following as working:

GPSBable+

MacCaching

Garmin POI loder (Mac)

Garmin Webupdater (Mac)

I would bet your software doesn't support the USB.

Thanks to all who responded. I'm now using MacCaching and happily exporting waypoints directly to my GPSr with the USB (no USB-Serial cable needed). I think the limitation was with the MacSimpleGPS program and I hadn't realized there were other Mac compatible programs available. It still doesn't do everything that GSAK does for the PC but is getting closer. thanks all for the excellent help on the forum.