OH, NO NO NO!

I keep crashing my laptop while using my mapsource software. I have previously been able to upload/download info via a serial to USB connection to my HP laptop. My wife is gonna kill me if I don't get this straightened out!

Any thoughts? It will run the software just fine until I try to upload download, and then I get a consistently fuzzy BSOD. Anyone ever run into this before?

New laptop using Windows Vista? There are several other threads here on problems with GPS software & Vista. Be sure you have the latest versions / updates of the software. Vista is a mess.

I honestly think the probem is Vista. MS has a huge mess on its hands with Vista. XP worked so they might as well replace it with something that sucks as bad as vista

I keep crashing my laptop while using my mapsource software. I have previously been able to upload/download info via a serial to USB connection to my HP laptop. My wife is gonna kill me if I don't get this straightened out!

Any thoughts? It will run the software just fine until I try to upload download, and then I get a consistently fuzzy BSOD. Anyone ever run into this before?

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "fuzzy BSOD"? And is that contrasted with a "clear BSOD"?

Edited by Team Cotati

I think chuy! Hit the nail on the head. After using Map Source on my laptop for two years it froze-up after updating with version 6.13.4 . I went back to an earlier version that I had store on my laptop and was able to use it without a problem.

A few days ago I checked the updates and found version 6.13.5 and I decided to do a clean load. I unloaded Map Source, Waypoints & Trips, and nRoute. I then reloaded Map Source, Waypoints & Trips, and went to the Garmin support page to get the latest USB drivers. http://www8.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=591 This update may not have an effect on your problem because you are not using a USB gps.

In the process I also cleaned up some problems that were generated when I installed an adapter. The adapter I was using is a Cables Unlimited USB 2.0 to Serial Adapter. At the time of install of the adapter soft ware I start having problems. At first I thought the problem was generated by the third party software. But I just tried the serial adapter to the four pin External Power and Data Connector Port on my 76C. It worked great.

I am currently able to transfer data to my 76 series gps units using a usb port or the serial adapter.

Yesterday I loaded close to two 2GB of mapsets on to Micro SD cards for a 76CSx and had no issues.

The clean install took care of a number of problems.

Edited by Siskiyou

My HP laptop (Pavilion dv6636nr) with 32-bit Vista, Mapsource ver 12.4, and a 60CSx works ok here, so I won't upgrade Mapsource for awhile.

1. Fixed an issue with displaying the

product name of some map products. 2. Fixed an issue with

receiving data from removable media on Windows Vista 64-bit.

Seems like they made changes to work with 64-bit Win Vista, and I have 32-bit Windows Vista Home Premium on the Laptop. So if you have 32 bit windows, you can avoid the update and use an older mapsource.

Edited by GOT GPS?