Temp Caches at events in your state

sweetlife

i know this is like beating a dead horseecfa6db9-96fe-4c00-a129-6d9ad2b2b74d.jpg, but we would like to know what states allow the logging of temporary caches. If you want you can add your feelings about temps, but at least post this info:

State Name, If Temps are allowed, if it is a state wide thing or a rogue group.

lets see if we can get all the states to participate and get a actual percentage of states that this practice is accepted.

We will start it out with Wisconsin and Michigan as we are members of both WGA and MiGO

Wisconsin, Yes temps logging is allowed, state wide and WGA approves of it

Michigan, some temps are logged, we have only seen it in a couple of events in the UP of Michigan

(most attendees who log are from WI)

Are you talking about multiple logs on a single event, to account for the event-only caches?

I haven't been an event that specifically told you to do it. Since I wouldn't do it, I don't know whether any of the events would prevent someone from doing it.

Edited by Dinoprophet

I don't think you can accurately categorize this by state. Whether event caches are multiple logged to reflect temp caches is up to the event owner and I have seen within a single state some owners that allow it and some that do not. I have even seen that within a single organization depending on who in the group organized the event. Some states and areas do not have organizations that run events and various locals do it.

I personally do not multiple log events. I don't really care much what others do, although it does make it kind of annoying to try to read attended logs on an event when you have to wade through a ton of found logs for the temp caches. So I don't bother to try to read the logs with events that have that.

I'm in Washington State.

If I didn't come into the forums, I wouldn't have heard of either temporary caches at events or logging them as extra smilies or attended logs on those events. But like others have said, that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Also, I either hosted or co-hosted over half of the 22 events I've been too. :anitongue:

In NJ many events have temp caches. They can be lots of fun. In fact I venture to guess that temp caches placed at events are common in most states.

Now logging multiple attendeds for these caches is a different story. I've seen very little of that in NJ. Only one person that I can think of does it.

I think the simple answer is that all states "allow" temp caches and logging them as the people at GC.com have final say to this.

That said, I personally won't log them. I could care less what others do but it really does mess up an event page as CarleenP has already pointed out!

Edited by Rockin Roddy
I think the simple answer is that all states "allow" temp caches and logging them as the people at GC.com have final say to this.

That said, I personally won't log them. I could care less what others do but it really does mess up an event page as CarleenP has already pointed out!

Roddy, I think the OP was curious as to which states the event owners are allowing logging of temp caches.

i know this is like beating a dead horseecfa6db9-96fe-4c00-a129-6d9ad2b2b74d.jpg, but we would like to know what states allow the logging of temporary caches. If you want you can add your feelings about temps, but at least post this info:

State Name, If Temps are allowed, if it is a state wide thing or a rogue group.

lets see if we can get all the states to participate and get a actual percentage of states that this practice is accepted.

We will start it out with Wisconsin and Michigan as we are members of both WGA and MiGO

Wisconsin, Yes temps logging is allowed, state wide and WGA approves of it

Michigan, some temps are logged, we have only seen it in a couple of events in the UP of Michigan

(most attendees who log are from WI)

Frankly -- and bluntly -- I CANNOT believe that you have had the gall to raise this topic. Your audacity verges beyond the pale of rudeness and into the realms of criminal insanity, for you know DARN WELL that temporary event caches, and also public discussion of them, have, throughout history, been widely reported by prohpets and seeers for the last ten millenia to be the primary harbinger -- and far more so than the sighting of Five Horsemen of the Apocalypse -- of the beginning of the End of Days, that is, the start of End Time. So, knowing that, HOW can you justify having started this thread? Sheesh! :o:(:)<_<:unsure::unsure:

:anitongue::ph34r::D

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

I've seen temporary caches at many events.

I have never seen anybody log multiple times for temps or encourage others to do so.

At least at the events I have been to. (edited to add)

It has been done in Nebraska, but not often, and not recently as far as I know. I only remember a few many years back. I know that the Kearney area people have specifically said they will not allow it in the past.

I am aware of an event in South Dakota having multiple logs for temp event caches, but also know of people from the same group who would not allow it on other events.

Edited by carleenp

I am not aware of logged temp caches in Pennsylvania. I have never read on a PA cache page that it either would, or would not be acceptable. I guess if nobody does it here, we don't need a policy.

We do have some very dedicated organizers, volunteers, and reviewers who get permanent caches hidden, reviewed, and listed for events. You know who you are. Thank You!

edit: spelling

Edited by Cardinal Red

I have hosted several events in Rhode Island, but none with explicit Temporary Caches. For one event I placed 5 caches for a Poker Run and one for a Cache and Dash, and at another several for a Bingo Run.

No one logged the event more than once. If they did, I would have most likely deleted the logs.

I am not aware of logged temp caches in Pennsylvania. I have never read on a PA cache page that it either would, or would not be acceptable. I guess if nobody does it here, we don't need a policy.

We do have some very dedicated organizers, volunteers, and reviewers who get permanent caches hidden, reviewed, and listed for events. You know who you are. Thank You!

edit: spelling

There are plenty of Pennsylvania events where temp caches can be logged to the event page. This goes to show that you can't draw up a chart state-by-state.

When I've attended the events where temp cache logging was allowed, I found the caches for sure, 'cause it was fun, but I only logged one "attended" log on the event page. I had as much fun as the other attendees, and nobody laughed at me for only logging once. The other attendees had fun, and I didn't laugh at them for logging multiple times.

Hey,

I think it is more of a cache owner decision then it is a "state decision". I know the Wisconsin Geocaching Association does allow temp caches...but that is for their WGA events more then cachers in the state. I know plenty on cachers in Wisconsin that do not log temps for their own decision...

So, I would not say the state allows it...just that the WGA allows it for their own events and lets each cache owner decide whether they will allow it or not...

As far as I know, the MNGCA (Minnesota Geocaching Association) has not and most likely will not have loggable temp caches at their hosted evetns...as far as my limited experience states they have not held an event in which temp caches were logged and I don't think that will change anytime soon. With that said, I know of a couple members that have hosted events where temp caches were logged and a couple members that do log temp caches...

So, not a state thing, but more of an idividual choice...

I for one have logged event temps...I have never hidden that from anyone...pretty upfront about my choices. I even received a compliment from TrailGators for my explaination :lol: (only state that cause I know TG will be reading that and laughing...oh, probably ReadyOrNot as well...thanks guys B) ).

So, Associations may or may not allow temp cache logging, but my experience has been that each allows individual cache owners to decide if temps at each of their own events are logable.

Well, that is my thoughts...anyone is welcome to help me clarify anything that I may have said that may be a misunderstanding on my part (especially the MNGCA and WGA since I am rather new to both).

Later,

ArcherDragoon

Since caching doesn't stop at the 49th parallel, I'll chime in for Alberta, Canada. :lol: To my knowledge no one up here has ever multiple logged an event for the temp caches. I held an event this spring that had three temp caches to entertain the kids. Not one cachers either attempted to or question the possibilities of logging those temps on the cache page.

Hey,

I think it is more of a cache owner decision then it is a "state decision". I know the Wisconsin Geocaching Association does allow temp caches...but that is for their WGA events more then cachers in the state. I know plenty on cachers in Wisconsin that do not log temps for their own decision...

So, I would not say the state allows it...just that the WGA allows it for their own events and lets each cache owner decide whether they will allow it or not...

As far as I know, the MNGCA (Minnesota Geocaching Association) has not and most likely will not have loggable temp caches at their hosted evetns...as far as my limited experience states they have not held an event in which temp caches were logged and I don't think that will change anytime soon. With that said, I know of a couple members that have hosted events where temp caches were logged and a couple members that do log temp caches...

So, not a state thing, but more of an idividual choice...

I for one have logged event temps...I have never hidden that from anyone...pretty upfront about my choices. I even received a compliment from TrailGators for my explaination B) (only state that cause I know TG will be reading that and laughing...oh, probably ReadyOrNot as well...thanks guys :lol: ).

So, Associations may or may not allow temp cache logging, but my experience has been that each allows individual cache owners to decide if temps at each of their own events are logable.

Well, that is my thoughts...anyone is welcome to help me clarify anything that I may have said that may be a misunderstanding on my part (especially the MNGCA and WGA since I am rather new to both).

Later,

ArcherDragoon

B) Hey AD, based on everything I have read in these threads the highest concentration of events that have allowed temp caches to be logged seems to be in your neck of the woods. Like you said, it is up to the event owners. If I remember right, you said you do it because if you logged them as notes or in the main attended log then they don't show up in your summary table.

The events out here tend to have poker runs and temps with toys for the kids. The adult cachers tend to find listed caches in the area of the event. The events move around to allow people to find caches in areas that they have not been to.

:lol: Although it has never been specifically prohibited in Oklahoma to my knowledge, it seems (IMO) to be seen as a method of inflating ones smilie total. Most folks claim only a find on the event, and not on the multiple caches involved in the event. I can't think of any instances where cachers claim hides on the 40 or so caches that are hidden for each of our state wide events. I've seen it done in other states, but I personally would never approve of it.

B) Hey AD, based on everything I have read in these threads the highest concentration of events that have allowed temp caches to be logged seems to be in your neck of the woods. Like you said, it is up to the event owners. If I remember right, you said you do it because if you logged them as notes or in the main attended log then they don't show up in your summary table.

The events out here tend to have poker runs and temps with toys for the kids. The adult cachers tend to find listed caches in the area of the event. The events move around to allow people to find caches in areas that they have not been to.

Hey,

It's not that they wouldn't show up...it is that they wouldn't show up in a way that would be quick and useful for me to figure out how many temp caches I have found and how many events I have been at. Sure, I could log only one "Attend" at each event/CITO and the stat page would easily show how many events/CITOs I have attended...but that would leave me with tracking my temps manually (and as I said before, I am just too lazy to do that :lol: ). By logging (and I use that fairly loose here...I have admited that I don't like how this method "pumps/inflats" my numbers...but it works for what I do) the temps as "attended" on events or "attended/found it" on CITOs, all I need to do to figure our my temps at any time I want is go through my event/CITO stats and count how many times event/CITO appears and subtract that number from the total event/CITO count.

Pretty handy for me this way...events that I have multiple logs on only show up once on each page...so, I just have to be careful about the same event on multiple pages in my stats...by tracking my temps using this method, I need about 5 minutes to figure out my event/CITO number and my temp count. If I was ever motivated enough to keep this up-to-date on my profile...I would probably quit logging temps on events/CITOs...but I admit, I am faily lazy regarding that B)

I have nothing against logging only one "attended"...if gc.com changed and only allowed one "attend" per event/CITO...I would easily change and go with the flow...if they created a "temp cache" category, that would be even better...on the other hand, if they changed and don't create a temp count...then I guess I will have to fall back and count and track my temps personally...either way, not too big of a deal to me.

And, yes, it does seem a lot of the temp cache talk does center around my area of the world...no worries here...we all like attention B)

Hope this clears things up a bit...TrailGators was pretty accurate...just had to make things a little clearer...I know it wasn't meant as a negative comment, but it made me sound like a numbers person and I really am not about being on the top or bottom of a numbers list...just use my stats to know what I have done since officially starting my "career" as a geocacher...no offense taken TrailGators, just wanted to be clear about my method.

Later,

ArcherDragoon

Hope this clears things up a bit...TrailGators was pretty accurate...just had to make things a little clearer...I know it wasn't meant as a negative comment, but it made me sound like a numbers person and I really am not about being on the top or bottom of a numbers list...just use my stats to know what I have done since officially starting my "career" as a geocacher...no offense taken TrailGators, just wanted to be clear about my method. Later, ArcherDragoon
I didn't mean to imply anything AD. I was just being matter of fact. The one thing I still don't understand is why you guys just don't hide/find real caches at your events? Wouldn't that be easier? :lol: Edited by TrailGators
... and also public discussion of them, have, throughout history, been widely reported by prohpets and seeers for the last ten millenia to be the primary harbinger -- and far more so than the sighting of Five Horsemen of the Apocalypse -- of the beginning of the End of Days, that is, the start of End Time. So, knowing that, HOW can you justify having started this thread? Sheesh! :DB)B):D:lol:B)

Who's the fifth horseman? B)

Hope this clears things up a bit...TrailGators was pretty accurate...just had to make things a little clearer...I know it wasn't meant as a negative comment, but it made me sound like a numbers person and I really am not about being on the top or bottom of a numbers list...just use my stats to know what I have done since officially starting my "career" as a geocacher...no offense taken TrailGators, just wanted to be clear about my method. Later, ArcherDragoon
I didn't mean to imply anything AD. I was just being matter of fact. The one thing I still don't understand is why you guys just don't hide/find real caches at your events? Wouldn't that be easier? :lol:
Ummm, they are 'real' caches.

1. Load coords to GPSr.
  2. Follow arrow.
  3. Spot pile of sticks next to tree.
  4. Find box under pile of sticks.
  5. Sign log. Trade 'em if you got 'em.
  6. Replace sticks.
  7. Log cache on-line, as acceptable by owner of cache page.

Yup. That's 'caching.

If I'd never ventured into the forums, it never even would have occurred to me that people would log temporary caches... aren't they just part of the event; like the lunch part; and the fishing through the TB bin part, The group hike part, etc?

So I guess that means it doesn't happen in Jersey, as for official stances on the matter, I don't know..

Theres one I log multiple times; and will continue to do so. It happens monthly and the page is recycled :lol: That, I think is perfectly fine B)

... and also public discussion of them, have, throughout history, been widely reported by prohpets and seeers for the last ten millenia to be the primary harbinger -- and far more so than the sighting of Five Horsemen of the Apocalypse -- of the beginning of the End of Days, that is, the start of End Time. So, knowing that, HOW can you justify having started this thread? Sheesh! B)B)B):D:lol:B)

The one riding the dead horse. :D

Sure do seem to be a LOT of people here saying they either don't multilog or think it's "cheating" (not my word, so please don't start a flamefest here)....more than some might have thought??

I too wonder why you don't just hide "GC APPROVED" caches here (and so no one tries to say they are "approved" by GC, just not listed there) caches which are approved and published by GC.com AD? (sheesh, I hate to have to make my wording so OBVIOUS so it won't start a riot, but we all know how some people fixate on statements).

Edited by Rockin Roddy
I didn't mean to imply anything AD. I was just being matter of fact. The one thing I still don't understand is why you guys just don't hide/find real caches at your events? Wouldn't that be easier? :lol:

Here is what I feel is a partial logic for not "hiding/finding real caches at events."

No it would not be EASIER to hide only permanent caches and here is why:

1. When this started our state DNR did not allow hides in state parks. This policy has since changed. However, when our annual large event was held, this was an opportunity with the permission of the DNR/park at the time to hide the caches ONLY for the day of the event. It brought many people into our state parks, gave the parks both the revenue benefit as well as getting people to become familiar with the parks. They were then promptly removed leaving no trace.

2. These temp hides are often hidden in ways where handicapped people and families with small kids have easier access. In other words, get the wheelchair, stroller, etc., out of the car once and move from one to the other within a relatively close distance rather than load/unload, repeat.

3. If you hold any type of event in a large cache dense area, there are literally no places left to hide permanent caches.

Which brings the question, why not just get together for the fun of it? Great idea and there are many events like that too. But let's be realistic. We do this because we like to go find stuff that is hidden so temp caches add to the overall fun of the event. As has been stated before, many of these are more creative and fun to find than "regular" caches. For a Halloween event here held every year for example, the cache containers are simply too fragile to be left out all year - but offer a fantastic time for the families to hunt in the spirit of Halloween. I have logged temps in the past - I THINK I changed them to notes a while back, but I logged them then because that was how it was presented to me to do it at the time. I thought it was just a way for me to keep track of how many things I found hidden in the woods, simply that. Yep, they get a smilie, but really it is for them to keep track of how many times they have found a cache. Until the gc.com page only allows you to log an event once, it will continue. This has been a "problem" with some people for awhile as everybody who frequents here knows. The fact that the gc.com page does not address it nor "fix" it allows people to interpret it as an okay thing to do and it is being done...

The TXGA doesn't have an official position on the issue as caches are the property of their respective owners and they can do whatever they like, but there's a long running topic in our forums about the practice and its not positive towards the practice. However, multiple attended logs would not be allowed for a TXGA sponsored event like the Texas Challenge.

I thinking the OP is looking for some validation that their region is not the only one that logs temp caches as finds? Doesn't look like its going very well so far.

Edited by 9Key

Like a few folks have mentioned, it really isn't a "State" issue, and I really doubt the any geocaching organization really has the authority to over rule Groundspeaks policy as far as cache logs are concerned. Only the cache owner can establish logging criteria.

I will also add that it would be interesting to see where this occurs geographically, but it already sounds like it doesn't hold to state boundaries.

As far as Nevada - I haven't seen this in any of my 42 events, but I haven't paid that much attention either.

Edit to add: The 42 events were in 4 states and 3 countries, and most events attended didn't have temp caches. Either there were none, or the caches were permanant.

Edited by Moose Mob

Regarding the purpose of event-only caches, I think it's usually a permission issue. Michigan State Game Areas don't allow caching, but I've been to an event where permission was given for temporary caches for that day only. An event might be held on an otherwise private or even a commercial area. I've also been to an event where the poker run caches would have been too close to each other to be accepted for listing.

Basically, event-only caches give you the freedom to do some hides that you couldn't normally do.

Another way to get at this info would be to go state by state through these rankings. Check on some cachers ranked around 15-30 and see if they've got an unreal number of events logged. I wouldn't use the top ranked cachers in any given state, because many of them travel - and if they've hit some Wisconsin events, you're going to see those multi logs.

Fer instance, the #16 for Florida shows 36 events attended and those are 36 unique events.

while the #16 for Wisconsin has 436 events

and the #16 for Minnesota has 15 events

We have attended and also hosted events in Indiana since 2002, and have seen the 'accepted practice" change back and forth. The main events sponsored by the quasi-official organizations are the semi-annual picnics. We tend to have a spring picnic in the northern part of the state, and a fall picnic in the south. At the first couple of picnics we attended the subject never came up, and a single log was made. But later some of the cachers pointed out that some of the temporary caches were a lot harder to find than many of the urban park and grabs that were starting to appear, so the organizers actually encouraged cachers to use multiple logs if they wished. When "pocket caches" started to appear, which seemed to cause a great uproar here in the forums, the practice was discouraged, and in fact "temporary caches" were also pretty much stopped at these picnics. Instead we have tried to have new listed caches placed and listed just before the event to give attendees the opportunity to find new caches in the area of the event.

We have also started to have these picnics at locations that have not been used before to increase the "available" caches for those attending the event.

So if you look at our list of finds, you will find some events where we do have multiple finds (the original way to log an event) or attends, and you will also see that the other events have only one log for them.

I dont consider it cheating, since the numbers can easily be inflated in easier ways by someone more interested in numbers than finds. In fact I would much rather have a couple of multiple finds in me list than some of the urban caches that involve very little effort other than walking up to a lampost with a pencil and lifting a metal base up to find the "hidden cache". The first lampost cache I found was different, and did take some looking, but after a few of these it is not much of a challenge. I will always prefer a walk in the woods to a drive into a parking lot, but that is just my opinion.

So after all that I have said----- Indiana has allowed the practice in the past, but at this time it is not accepted practice.

I hope I have made it clear as mud :lol:

... and also public discussion of them, have, throughout history, been widely reported by prohpets and seeers for the last ten millenia to be the primary harbinger -- and far more so than the sighting of Five Horsemen of the Apocalypse -- of the beginning of the End of Days, that is, the start of End Time. So, knowing that, HOW can you justify having started this thread? Sheesh! B)B)B)B):D:D
The one riding the dead horse. :D
B):D:lol:

Sure do seem to be a LOT of people here saying they either don't multilog or think it's "cheating" (not my word, so please don't start a flamefest here)....more than some might have thought??

I too wonder why you don't just hide "GC APPROVED" caches here (and so no one tries to say they are "approved" by GC, just not listed there) caches which are approved and published by GC.com AD? (sheesh, I hate to have to make my wording so OBVIOUS so it won't start a riot, but we all know how some people fixate on statements).

GC.com doesn't approve caches. They just provide a listing database. :lol:

Edited by sbell111

Really? The reviewers DON'T approve a cache before listing it? hmmmmm.

So I don't go through more trouble on this , WHOEVER approves them and then lists them on GC.com (must be GS if GC doesn't)

In our neck of the woods (SF Bay Area) I've never attended an event which "had" a temporary cache... let alone tried to log one. All the events I've attended have included brand-spankin'-new, gc.com-approved genuine geocaches!

And coming from "cache dense" area (500+ in a less than 10mi radius)... we still manage to hide anywhere from 6 to maybe 12 new hides for an event.

I'd agree that you can't label this on a "statewide" basis.

On a personal level, I'm a strong believer in the idea that if a cache isn't published on this site, then it shouldn't be logged on this site... period. And that logging "attended" on an event means exactly that... that you attended, which only requires one log.

DCC

So I don't go through more trouble on this , WHOEVER approves them and then lists them on GC.com (must be GS if GC doesn't)

They're Reviewers. They review.

I'm not aware of LOTEC's being placed for any events in NC. The general MO here is to place 10-50 new caches in the vicinity of an event so that the attendees have something to do before/after the actual event. At the event we spend time socializing, eating, drinking , and drooling over the Horsegeek's coin collection.

Since the NC state parks don't allow caches at this time (except with a costly permit) we don't plan any events there. We'll support the venues that support us. I don't understand why a group would support a venue that didn't allow them to cache all year round. :lol:

They used to call them approvers but this term has been replaced by reviewer to indicate that in fact they don't approve caches but merely review them to check that the cache listing complies with the listing guidelines. A few rare instances (e.g. commercial caches) need to be approved by Groundspeak in order to be listed but the vast majority are simply reviewed for guideline compliance and then listed.

Any event that meets the guidelines for events will be listed. The existence of temporary caches at an event is not against the guidelines (just like a three-legged race or egg toss wouldn't be). An event with temporary caches can be listed on the site.

Temporary caches will not be listed separately because they are not in compliance with the cache permanence guideline.

Like several others from California have stated, the general practice here is to submit caches to be listed as separate caches on GC.com and ask the reviewers to delay publishing the cache till the day of the event. In most cases these caches continue to be available long after the event for cachers to find. I have noticed however that sometimes the cache gets disabled at the end of the event or the next day. Then after being disabled for three months it gets archived. Other times I have seen the cache disabled shortly after the event then have corrected coordinates posted, sometimes more than .1 mile away. So you'll have to decide for yourself whether logging of temporary event caches is allowed in California.

I don't understand why a group would support a venue that didn't allow them to cache all year round. :lol:

Around here, it helped change views of geocaching so that now, it is allowed year-round. CITO events work especially well.

(Our State Game Areas haven't changed; that has something to do with how those areas are funded. But the event I mentioned wasn't actually held there. It was in a county park with caches in the surrounding Game Area)

... Since the NC state parks don't allow caches at this time (except with a costly permit) we don't plan any events there. We'll support the venues that support us. I don't understand why a group would support a venue that didn't allow them to cache all year round. :lol:
I think that the theory is that if TPTB can be shown that cachers are good folk and the activity is benign, that they might open up the areas to more permanent caches.

GC.com doesn't approve caches. They just provide a listing database. B)

They're Reviewers. They review.

Geee....I wonder if I made my point (the one that was about the FIXATION on a statement). We all knew what was meant, but there's always someone who'll want to pick apart something....too much time on their hands or just cranky and want to stir the pot? I'm surprised someone didn't break out the wikipedia to analyze the def! B)

You are right Toz, they are reviewers...but if your cache doesn't meet the requirements, they are also the ones who DENY the listing of the cache. So, tomato....tomatoe, it's all the same in my book! :lol:

What would you call a reviewer who denies your cache placement??

Edited by Rockin Roddy
... Since the NC state parks don't allow caches at this time (except with a costly permit) we don't plan any events there. We'll support the venues that support us. I don't understand why a group would support a venue that didn't allow them to cache all year round. :lol:
I think that the theory is that if TPTB can be shown that cachers are good folk and the activity is benign, that they might open up the areas to more permanent caches.

Exactly....show them we are good people who mostly want to use the land responsibly...and that they can gain from having caches in their parks, they'll come around sooner or later!!