Geocaching.com Version Two

KBI

This was recently posted in another thread:

I'm posting simply to note that there's been no official announcement that Geocaching.com v2 will debut in January. Something else is scheduled for announcement on January 7th.

There has been favorable commentary from Groundspeak about implementing certain types of ratings systems. There has not been an official announcement that these changes will roll out of the box when v2 is launched.

Just to set expectations.

In the interest of avoiding off-topic comments in that thread I am asking my question here:

Can Keystone, or anyone else familiar with the details, please provide a link or some other basic info about this "Geocaching.com Version Two" I keep hearing about? I apparently don't spend enough time in the forums to have seen what so many others seem to already know. I don't camp out here every day, and when I do I only look at a small percentage of the threads. I haven't seen anything official, or even informative – I just keep hearing vague references.

Surely I'm not the only clueless ignoramus?

All I know is there is some kind of major change in the works. I know zero details. I was even convinced it was just a groundless rumor until I saw Keystone's post.

I've tried scanning the Announcements and Web Site forums. I've tried the Search. The information sounds like it should be a 1/1 find, but I am hereby officially logging a DNF ... and begging for a hint.

To extend the caching metaphor further: I am certain I will slap my forehead and emit a loud "D'OH!" when someone shows me where the details have been hiding-in-plain-sight, therefore there is no need to be diplomatic with your responses; I am prepared to be embarrassed.

My questions:

• What has been officially announced (or informally discussed) regarding "Geocaching.com Version Two?"
  • Where is there any mention of a January 7th "something else" announcement?
  • Where is there any mention of "favorable commentary from Groundspeak about implementing certain types of ratings systems?"

I feel a bit like the passenger in seat 37D who awakens from his long nap just in time to overhear not-quite-informative comments like: "Did they find it yet? Is it venomous? Must've been a cheap cage." or "That pilot sounded nervous. I never knew there was a difference between a flameout and a fire – how 'bout that."

I'm looking for the reference (coming up empty right now...) but if memory serves v2 was first mentioned by Jeremy last spring when the consultant were in to resolve some server busy issues. I took that to mean that v2 was going to be a "clean sweep" of the current codebase to something new while retaining the functionality of the site. All had to do with scalability of the service.

Some vague new features were mentioned as well.

As for the ratings system, Jeremy indicated he would be in favor of a Netflix style recomendation system. Something along the lines of "80% of those that liked this cache also enjoyed: xxxxxx"

To be a bit less cryptic, here are some quotes from Jeremy about v2, a website redesign from the ground up, which the lackeys have been laboring on for quite some time. It is slated for release sometime in 2008 (no more exact date has been announced for the project).

{snippage from announcement on Google ads}

As we have been moving into an extensive re-architecture of Geocaching.com to keep up with the ongoing traffic increases we have been faced with the reality that we need to raise more money. This will help us to create a permanent solution to the site slowdowns that have plagued us for so many years - aka our V.2 version of the web site.

{snippage}

Since the update is an architectural change and not really a new conceptual site you should expect to see the same functionality on the current site but with a new database and codebase. There will be some visible changes since we're taking into account usability in the new design but it shouldn't shock you when the change happens.

Once we get to the point where the v2 (now codenamed Phoenix) project has something tangible to show we'll make attempts to reveal it to the broader community. However this is a very long project so changes may be slow coming. Geocaching.com may look straightforward as a site but it has many nuances that need to be addressed in a new architecture so we can sustain growth over the next 5 years.

Ah-HA! I KNEW there was some clandestine subterfuge going on!

<KBI lowers hat brim, raises overcoat collar and shifts eyes left-right-left>

Codename "Phoenix?" Nope, never heard of it.

<winks and wanders off into the foggy night>

Ah-HA! I KNEW there was some clandestine subterfuge going on!

<KBI lowers hat brim, raises overcoat collar and shifts eyes left-right-left>

Codename "Phoenix?" Nope, never heard of it.

<winks and wanders off into the foggy night>

Had to laugh when I saw this. I thought my comany was the only one with "code" names for projects. Currently I am working on project "Nova" named after the company on "Short Curcuit".

Looking forward to the rise of the phoenix.

To be a bit less cryptic, here are some quotes from Jeremy about v2, a website redesign from the ground up, which the lackeys have been laboring on for quite some time. It is slated for release sometime in 2008 (no more exact date has been announced for the project).

As we have been moving into an extensive re-architecture of Geocaching.com to keep up with the ongoing traffic increases we have been faced with the reality that we need to raise more money. This will help us to create a permanent solution to the site slowdowns that have plagued us for so many years - aka our V.2 version of the web site.

{snippage}

Since the update is an architectural change and not really a new conceptual site you should expect to see the same functionality on the current site but with a new database and codebase. There will be some visible changes since we're taking into account usability in the new design but it shouldn't shock you when the change happens.

Once we get to the point where the v2 (now codenamed Phoenix) project has something tangible to show we'll make attempts to reveal it to the broader community. However this is a very long project so changes may be slow coming. Geocaching.com may look straightforward as a site but it has many nuances that need to be addressed in a new architecture so we can sustain growth over the next 5 years.

What? <_<

I had heard that version 2 cost $199.99 and involved a console and a couple of joysticks. You are supposed to move around on the google maps and eat up all the smileys and have extra points awarded for the difficult ones. After a while the muggles come out of the woodwork and start chasing after you. If you get to the smiley first, then you can chase after them..

And it also means that I've been camped out in front of Best Buy (and chased by the store manager) for absolutely no reason. :anitongue:

{snippage}

What? :anitongue:

I had heard that version 2 cost $199.99 and involved a console and a couple of joysticks. You are supposed to move around on the google maps and eat up all the smileys and have extra points awarded for the difficult ones. After a while the muggles come out of the woodwork and start chasing after you. If you get to the smiley first, then you can chase after them..

And it also means that I've been camped out in front of Best Buy (and chased by the store manager) for absolutely no reason. <_<

Sounds like PacMan is starting to geocache! :unsure:

edited:DOH!

Edited by elmuyloco5

As has been mentioned, mention of V.2 has been around for about 7 or 8 months.

NO mention has been made of when it would take place. Forum posts asking that have been ignored.

What has been said is that tptb are too busy working on V.2 and bug fixes of the existing site to post just what V.2 will be all about.

To me that sounds just too convienient. We programmers all have design documents for the projects we are working on so why not let us see those? Well because they are confidential that why.

As has been mentioned, mention of V.2 has been around for about 7 or 8 months.

NO mention has been made of when it would take place. Forum posts asking that have been ignored.

What has been said is that tptb are too busy working on V.2 and bug fixes of the existing site to post just what V.2 will be all about.

To me that sounds just too convienient. We programmers all have design documents for the projects we are working on so why not let us see those? Well because they are confidential that why.

Because every time groundpeak tries to put dates on things or give out too much info to the general public, something happens to make them regret it.

As I keep saying ad nauseum. They are cachers, too! There isn't some secret plan to take all our money and then sit around the Lily Pad eating chocolate bon bons. They would like to get everything running great so that they can get out and cache more, and to stop hearing about it constantly in the forums. Whenever I've been to Groundspeak, the place is practically humming, those guys are working so hard. It's difficult to tear themselves away from their work to visit, but they're great and do it anyway.

Most of them are programmers (and please don't tell me how you're a programmer and you know better about how "programmers work") and stuff and just do better when they're not bothered and can do their work in peace.

<sigh>

Jan. 7th is the date for Wherigo is launched. That's where that date is coming from. Check out www.Wherigo.com for the limited details. I hope they will give everyone a little warning before just launching V2. It would be nice to know when it is launched to have a pocket quiry done the week before just incase of problems logging on to the updated site. I'll still have the information to go caching if the site is down due to bugs. I think alot of people would benifiet by knowing in advance. This might keep some of the complaining down as well.

I am sure they will test the new software adequately before releasing also. Working for a company that does not always do this, I can't even begin to tell you all the problems inadequite testing have cause us.

I love Groundspeak, but adequate testing before release is not one of their strong points. Let's be quite honest here, after updates, very basic features often break (stuff that would be caught by *any* standard test suite for a web site - stuff as simple as broken links, features that just plain don't work, etc)

That said, it's understandable that they don't have the resources for it, but with the large volunteer community of the site, it might be a good idea to 'let us loose' on the staging server before making changes to the live server. Large MMO games often do this, for example (a test server and live server, both fully public)

Edited by benh57
I am sure they will test the new software adequately before releasing also. Working for a company that does not always do this, I can't even begin to tell you all the problems inadequite testing have cause us.
I love Groundspeak, but adequate testing before release is not one of their strong points. Let's be quite honest here, after updates, very basic features often break (stuff that would be caught by *any* standard test suite for a web site - stuff as simple as broken links, features that just plain don't work, etc)
Among other things that I am responsible for is a call center. The software that the database used was designed and programmed in house. To allow for testing, we have a dedicated server that new versions of the software is loaded to so it can be banged on to make sure that it is ready to go live. Most of the time, we will find that things that seemed fine during testing, screwed up when the software was out on the 'live' server.

Testing is a great idea, but it's no guarantee that there won't be bugs.

That said, it's understandable that they don't have the resources for it, but with the large volunteer community of the site, it might be a good idea to 'let us loose' on the staging server before making changes to the live server. Large MMO games often do this, for example (a test server and live server, both fully public)
I'm nearly positive that Groundspeak already does this. Edited by sbell111
I'm nearly positive that Groundspeak already does this.
No, there is no distinction between the live server and the public test server.

Past experience has shown that even the most simple bug fixing on geocaching.com is fodder for many ranting forum posts of broken things directly related to that supposed fix.

I hope that they have learned from the past, I would hate to have to relive it whenever V.2 comes out.

How do you know this?

I'm fairly sure that I've seen occasional posts by people who have visited HQ and commented that they were able to play around with a feature (or version) that wasn't yet released.

And it also means that I've been camped out in front of Best Buy (and chased by the store manager) for absolutely no reason. :lol:

I heard we were going to have a choice between "Geocaching Starter" (For newbies), "Geocaching Home Basic" (For getting the basic features of the site at home), "Geocaching Home Premium" (Access to all the premium features), "Geocaching Business" (Great for surfing the site from work), "Geocaching Enterprise" (For Trek fans?), and "Geocaching Ultimate".

How do you know this?

I'm fairly sure that I've seen occasional posts by people who have visited HQ and commented that they were able to play around with a feature (or version) that wasn't yet released.

I highlighted a couple of things in case you missed it before.

How do you know this?

Thanks. I didn't catch it.

Why would TPTB choose to have a fully public test server? I can see it causing more drama than it resolved.

How do you know this?

Why would TPTB choose to have a fully public test server? I can see it causing more drama than it resolved.

Naw, I think the point was to let folks hack away at test.geocaching.com versus www.geocaching.com for a few reasons:

• A smaller "elite" group of testers may know how it's supposed to work and thus not try things that might break it.
  • A much larger group might find a bottleneck that would cause a crash or simply record errors, or something.
  • It would allow folks to salivate over upcoming improvement and thus quell the group that thinks GS is not doing anything. (Guilty as charged.)
  • Get feedback on useability or how well folks like a feature.
  • Pick out obscure bugs like folks who have ampersands in their names and rare stuff like that.

...and finally, it would allow folks to simply go back to the old site if a feature is not what they like without having to live with it until it's fixed and complain about it. In other words, a fall back mode on failed or broken features.

How do you know this?

Naw, I think the point was to let folks hack away at test.geocaching.com versus www.geocaching.com for a few reasons:

• A smaller "elite" group of testers may know how it's supposed to work and thus not try things that might break it.
  • A much larger group might find a bottleneck that would cause a crash or simply record errors, or something.
  • It would allow folks to salivate over upcoming improvement and thus quell the group that thinks GS is not doing anything. (Guilty as charged.)
  • Get feedback on useability or how well folks like a feature.
  • Pick out obscure bugs like folks who have ampersands in their names and rare stuff like that.

...and finally, it would allow folks to simply go back to the old site if a feature is not what they like without having to live with it until it's fixed and complain about it. In other words, a fall back mode on failed or broken features.

I don't think you want a test site to make changes against the active database. So even if you started by replicating the entire database, people would soon complain that the test system doesn't have the latest caches; or that they logged a find on the test system and it didn't update on the production system; or that they submitted a new cache on the test system and the reviewer never even looked at it. And when people start to realize this they would stop using the test system since there isn't much point in having to log all your finds twice or submit new caches twice.

There might be reasons to have more beta testers but it should be limited to people who volunteer and understand that anything they do on a test system would not be reflected in the production one.

Also, having a public test site would result in lots of 'when is v2 going to go live' threads. These threads wouldn't be answered by TPTB because they would want to actually work on the new site, rather than repeatedly answer 'when it's ready'. The failure to answer would result in even more angst.

And it also means that I've been camped out in front of Best Buy (and chased by the store manager) for absolutely no reason. :)

Here is the v2 controller:

image002.jpg

I heard we were going to have a choice between "Geocaching Starter" (For newbies), "Geocaching Home Basic" (For getting the basic features of the site at home), "Geocaching Home Premium" (Access to all the premium features), "Geocaching Business" (Great for surfing the site from work), "Geocaching Enterprise" (For Trek fans?), and "Geocaching Ultimate".

MAKE IT SO NUMBA ONE!!!

47a365ec-f788-420d-87b2-c1c542d37a47.jpg

efa2f4bf-d4ad-41a6-bcda-76f97ede0add.jpg

Edited by Snoogans

Soogans seems to have a good grip on the situation. But, I fear you are all "making a mountain out of a molehill"...

{snippage}

Keystone, you are absolutely correct. <sarcasm> That completely clarifies the situation.</sarcasm>

Let me translate a few key phrases from Geek (and I mean that in the most complementary way possible) to English for you:

“extensive re-architecture” - the lease on the hq building is up and they are moving to a new building

“faced with reality of need to raise money” - the new lease is gonna cost more

“create a permanent solution” - someone is gonna get laid off if we can't negotiate a lower lease

“plagued us for so many years” - they’re tired of the nearby pizza place anyway...

I’d translate more for you but I don’t know where you found the "snippage".

The second quote

“Since the update is an architectural change” - the above-mentioned change in venue

“not really a new conceptual site” - the new digs are definitely not “new” (older building)

“should expect to see the same functionality” - business as usual

“There will be some visible changes” - the new place is currently being painted

“it shouldn't shock” - the electrical system was recently repaired in the new digs

“when the change happens” - if the change happens (geeks always mean “if” when the say “when”)

“codenamed Phoenix” - some arson may be involved on the place they are vacating

“project has something tangible to show” - the engineers (Raine) and administrators (Jeremy) agree that something is good

“we'll make attempts” - we’ll try, knowing full and well that no one understands a word we say,

“reveal it to the broader community” - hide without using lat/lon coordinates

“this is a very long project so changes may be slow coming” - its vaporware

“may look straightforward” - will seem simple if your too are geek

“it has many nuances” - has “features” you might not consider to be features (a.k.a."bugs" in old-folks geek)

“addressed in a new architecture” - new address labels are going to be printed

“we can sustain growth” - we can keep ordering pizzas

“over the next 5 years.” - after 5 years they will sell the company.

I don't think I need to stitch all that together for you.

The only question remaining is "when".

The only question remaining is "when".
When it's ready.
As Ambrosia and I both know - those who are platinum are already running v2.
You're still using v2? You should call the Platinum Services 800 number and let them know. They'll pop out to your home to outfit you with the v3.0 base station upgrade and deliver your GC3000 mobile caching unit.

They took care of mine when they made this month's jam delivery. It's strange that they didn't take care of you, as well.

Edited by sbell111

I can give you all a little info, but not much since I'm not directly involved with the project. Basically it comes down to a complete ground up site redesign.

Geocaching.com began as a side project for Jeremy in late 2000, so much of the code is what he terms "hobby code". To keep up with the growth of the site all that code has to be stripped out and replaced with a new infrastructure that will ensure high performance and stability for years to come. We have a team of developers working full time in the "war room" to make this happen. We don't know when they will be finished, but our best guess is by 3rd quarter of 2008.

As Jeremy said, functionality will not change drastically, but the layout and design will be updated (think: the difference between our current design and the old design). We plan to add language support for the more common tongues. Some social networking is in the works. Groundspeak.com will play a larger role as the core of activity on Groundspeak sites.

That's about all I can say (and really all I know) at the moment, but I'm sure I'll be able to make some cool updates as time goes.

You know. If I were among TPTB I would make it a 'job requirement' that the site Programmers NOT be geocachers.

I know that's a hard thing to do since this sport is so addictive and having the exposure to it that the programmers I'm describing will have will make them lose their job almost immediately.

But you don't hire alcoholics to run a Bar, and you don't hire a criminal to run a bank...

Comparing the old design with the current design, I have to say that I like the current design except for the background color! The green of the old page is so much prettier than the khaki they use now. Here's my 2 cents to go back to the old green!

Comparing the old design with the current design, I have to say that I like the current design except for the background color! The green of the old page is so much prettier than the khaki they use now. Here's my 2 cents to go back to the old green!

No doubt v2 will allow you to choose from several color schemes...right? :(

You know. If I were among TPTB I would make it a 'job requirement' that the site Programmers NOT be geocachers.

I know that's a hard thing to do since this sport is so addictive and having the exposure to it that the programmers I'm describing will have will make them lose their job almost immediately.

But you don't hire alcoholics to run a Bar, and you don't hire a criminal to run a bank...

I guess if you think the programmers are using their position to "cheat" - maybe inflate their find count or get a head start on a FTF - your analogy would be valid. I'd prefer to think that programmers who are also end-users would have a better understanding of what features are useful and which are just a waste of time and would program a site that is more "user-friendly".

I guess if you think the programmers are using their position to "cheat" - maybe inflate their find count or get a head start on a FTF - your analogy would be valid. I'd prefer to think that programmers who are also end-users would have a better understanding of what features are useful and which are just a waste of time and would program a site that is more "user-friendly".

That's not what I said or implied. I'm saying that being a geocacher and working on the web site is just too prone to conflict of interest issues. If I was paranoid like you must be then I would say that ALL volunteer reviewers must not be geocachers but every reviewer I know (a few) are also geocachers but under different names.

And it also means that I've been camped out in front of Best Buy (and chased by the store manager) for absolutely no reason. :rolleyes:

Here is the v2 controller:

image002.jpg

MAKE IT SO NUMBA ONE!!!

47a365ec-f788-420d-87b2-c1c542d37a47.jpg

efa2f4bf-d4ad-41a6-bcda-76f97ede0add.jpg

What happened to Jean Luc? :unsure:

But you'd hire a wine connoisseur to be a sommelier or an investment broker to be a banker...I can't see any conflict of interest in someone who participates in a hobby building the infrastructure to support it. It's easier for a programmer to know how log a cache and why a geocacher would want certain features if they actually try it out some time.

I wish MORE programmers had to use the interfaces they build.

But you'd hire a wine connoisseur to be a sommelier or an investment broker to be a banker...I can't see any conflict of interest in someone who participates in a hobby building the infrastructure to support it. It's easier for a programmer to know how log a cache and why a geocacher would want certain features if they actually try it out some time.

I wish MORE programmers had to use the interfaces they build.

I agree. It's the reason Apple has been so successful. They are thinking in terms of what will "Wow!" their customers. The only way to really know this is to be a customer.
Jeremy has some info about V2 in a new announcement here!
Thanks Nate. It sounds interesting! I was hoping they would merge the two sites. I like the way that Waymarking lets you select the categories you are interested in and hide the ones that don't interest you. I'm not sure how the merge will happen but that is a cool feature worth considering. Would you have any idea if they were thinking of having an affinty, favorites or awards system or perhaps something else like that?