Coord Convertion

If you're after really accurate (+/- <20cm) conversions, download Grid Inquest (free but I think you have to register to download)... It does OS approved conversions. Slightly annoyingly, it outputs only in Eastings & Northings but you can convert them into a 10-figure grid ref at Nearby.org.uk

It converts your given coords to: TQ 72595 97104

[edit to add] It's well worth pointing out that OSGB conversions done by GPS units can be highly inaccurate. Depending on where abouts in the country you are, I've seen a discrepancy of over 50 metres E & N between the GPS best effort and the Grid Inquest conversion.

Edited by JeremyR

Is there any way I can convert lat/long coords N 51° 38.775 E 000° 29.594 into OS map coords TQ 75542 96900?

Thanks in advance

TLHM

If it's for PocketPC, I have a program I've written myself that you can have. It has stages for WGS84 lat/long, OSGB lat/long, OS grid refs in LL NNNNN NNNNN and NNNNNN NNNNNN format, you enter in one format and it converts to all the others. But I'm in the process of modifying it so it does polar co-ordinates too, so as well as the above you will enter bearing and distance and get a second set of grid refs. It also reads from a GPS receiver and computes bearing and distance to a target.

Originally I wrote it using C#, but .NET was so slow it was painful and it needed to have the .NET compact framework installed, which made deployment awkward. But I've now rewritten it to the native Win32 API and it's solved both those problems. You're welcome to a copy if you want it, but probably best to wait a week or so until the new version is ready?

BTW, note that the grid refs published by Groundspeak are rubbish, I don't know how they work them out. Mine use the OS algorithms and are much closer to the figures generated by the OS.

Rgds, Andy

Very nice Andy. A couple of things, I see it's currently set up to convert from DD MM SS rather than the usual DD MM.MMM as used in GC.com. Would it be possible to have this as an option?

Also, would you have any objection if I suggested to Groundspeak that they use your formula for UK convertions rather than whatever inaccurate one they currently use?

Thanks.

Very nice Andy. A couple of things, I see it's currently set up to convert from DD MM SS rather than the usual DD MM.MMM as used in GC.com. Would it be possible to have this as an option?

Also, would you have any objection if I suggested to Groundspeak that they use your formula for UK convertions rather than whatever inaccurate one they currently use?

Thanks.

If you're referring to the link in the message from Delta68, that isn't my program.

Mine is a PocketPC/Windows Mobile program to run on a PDA and has rather more options in that it also does polar conversions (bearing and distance from a point) and shows both 5 and 6 digit format grid refs. It also uses DD MM.MMM format for lat/long [:santa:]. And it will use a GPS on a bluetooth or serial port to give you bearing and distance to a waypoint.

I can send you source code for the conversion I use (which is based on the OS formulae) if you wish, in C, C# or Pascal.

Rgds, Andy

If you're referring to the link in the message from Delta68, that isn't my program.

Sorry, my mistake! :lol:

I can send you source code for the conversion I use (which is based on the OS formulae) if you wish, in C, C# or Pascal.

Rgds, Andy

Thanks for the offer but I wouldn't know what to do with it!! (No suggestions please :laughing: )

Thanks for the offer but I wouldn't know what to do with it!! (No suggestions please :laughing: )

To send to Groundspeak? I'm happy to talk to them myself about it if you have a name there.

Rgds, Andy

Did you get my email OK? A few days ago I sent some source code to you for forwarding on the the appropriate person, but I'm not sure it arrived.

Rgds, Andy