Stolen Geocoin

naj3

It's called decency, integrity and common courtesy; which many seem to want to rationalize away responsibility and expectation there of.

I didn't see that. Care to point it out? The bottom line I've seen is if you release it, expect it to eventually go missing. Don't fret over it when it happens. There are over 270 thousand registered members worldwide. Even though this sport may represent a higher level of common courtesy and integrity, one should recognize it is a pretty fair representation of every human attitude and dysfunction available in everyday life. It is a fair expectation the membership is large enough there are those that will take what is not theirs and keep it. Expecting it and anticipating it is not rationalizing it.

Edited by TotemLake

I would check ebay, though it's probably long gone by now.

And that's exactly why I never took any trackable items. I knew I was not up to the task :back:

I only was able to do 5 caches before "life got in the way", but I'm coming back now - I hope - have yet to find any good looking cache listings in my area, so maybe I'll make one.

Anyhoo....check ebay :back: lol

Dear Editor—

I am 8 years old. Some of my little friends say there are some bad geocachers. Papa says, “If you see it in The Sun, it’s so.” Please tell me the truth, are geocachers good?

Virginia O’Hanlon

Virginia, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men’s or children’s, are little. In this great universe of ours, man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, Virginia, geocachers are good. They exist as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no geocachers! It would be as dreary as if there were no Virginias. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The external light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in good geocachers! You might as well not believe in fairies. You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas eve to catch Santa Claus, but even if you did not see Santa Claus coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that’s no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You tear apart the baby’s rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived could tear apart. Only faith, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, Virginia, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No good geocachers! Thank God! they live and will live forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay 10 times 10,000 years from now, they will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

"Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night!"

I didn't see that. Care to point it out?

I was speaking in general terms of the camera on the bench situation, where a person takes the camera off the bench even though a sign says don't. I was not accusing anyone on the forum doing so but rather speaking of societal behavior in general. Property can only be gained lawfully through mutually agreed upon transaction such as purchase, gifting, barter, trade and creation from raw material(s).

Once you release the coin, you've got to just nature take its course. As we have learned, some people play the game "differently" than others. Some people collect shiny things and keep them. Calling that stealing is not right. I prefer, "Permission-less borrowing". Why can't we all just get along and learn that we are all different and not everyone's definition of "Wrong" is the same. Who has the right to tell anyone else that "Permission-less borrowing" is somehow "wrong"?

And some take the whole geocache -- why do we have a problem with that? They just play the game "differently" than others.

If I lose my wallet underneath said park bench, I hope someone has the decency to phone me or return it to the park service lost and found. If I place my bicycle in the bike rack next to said park bench to go play Frisbee, it should be there when I return.

I see your point, but I would never park my bicycle without locking it up. In reference to your example about losing your wallet. My example was of knowingly placing a camera and walking away from it. You may have missed my point, so I'll use your example of the wallet. Let's say you "place" your wallet on a park bench with a sign that reads "Do Not Take". If you return in a couple of days expecting to see your wallet where you left it, you may be disappointed. It will most likely be gone (and it probably will not be at a Lost and Found). Was the wallet stolen? I guess that's arguable. But I doubt if the police would help you much if they knew the circumstance. My point is this, if you don't want to lose something, then keep it in your possession. If you're going to place a trackable in a cache, then you may as well expect at some point along the way, it will come up missing. Unfortnately that is reality. I've come to that realization after placing 16 signature travel bugs, and only a couple are still in circulation. I have written to some of the takers who did not move them along, and also received no response. So the way I look at it, if a trackable of mine gets 500 miles before it disappears, Great. If it gets 10,000 miles before it disappears, even better. Am I condoning the bahavior of those who take travel bugs or coins and never move them along. No. But I conclude right from the offset that each trackable I send out will eventually come up missing, that way I don't sweat it if it does.

The way I see it , if your playing a sport and you cant follow the rules and refuse to cooperate you kick them off the team. If someone establishes a pattern of not moving TBs and coins in a timely manner than I would delete there finds should they find any of my Caches and not deal with them.

The way I see it , if your playing a sport and you cant follow the rules and refuse to cooperate you kick them off the team. If someone establishes a pattern of not moving TBs and coins in a timely manner than I would delete there finds should they find any of my Caches and not deal with them.

Can you do that? Is there a Geocacher blacklist?

Can you do that? Is there a Geocacher blacklist?

I know you can delete there finds. Blacklist, that would be a great Idea but the powers that be would never do that.

Look at it like this.You are taking a chance of your coin being stolen, lost, or come up missing when ever you leave it in a cache. If you don't want the stress of this happening you then should'nt leave things in a ammocan in the woods because someone is bound to find it. In your case a geocacher found it and they are moving it along. I have some TBs that are held by the finders for months at a time. I used to pester them with emails and never got a response. Eventually they dropped it in a cache. The one thing I never did and will never do is bring my problems to the forums (nobody likes a tattletale) and complain about my TB or coin missing. Its my fault for leaving it in a cache and I'm not going to rally some folks in the forums and creat a pitty party for myself.

You can delete their logs for your coin but all you will do is build resentment( ie have your coin tossed into a trash can) or creat cache pirates who will go out and destroy all of your cache hides.

I suggest just accept the loss of a 5 dollar investment and consider this a lesson of what can happen when you leave your personal items in a public area.

Stealing is when your home is robbed or you are mugged in a parking lot, in your case you left you coin behind in a ammo can.

Just my two cents...

Spark the flame throwers! :):):P

Wow.

The Northwest forums used to be a nice place to read.

Now it resembles the angst of the main geocaching topic forums.

Good point.

This thread should have been moved to the Geocoin Discussions section long ago. I left it here because I hoped that the discussion wouldn't go the way of the main forums. I issued a few subtle hints and a few not so subtle hints to let this poor dead horse rest in peace. Since my pleas have fallen on deaf ears I'm going to close this thread.

If you wish to continue this discussion on geocoins and what should and should not happen to them once you release them into the wild please post it in the proper forum.