Vista HCx brightness setting

mikado613

Hi,

I have noticed that each time I power up my Vista HCx the brightness always goes back to the default setting. I wouldn't be surprised if I had changed the batteries, but I'm talking about just on/off and back on again. Is there a way to make it save the brightness setting?

thanks

I just got mine & have been assin around with it some... When you press the power button it turns on with no backlighting... if you press the power button a 2nd time it will set the backlighting to 50%, & again it will go to 100%. I know this doesnt really answer your question, but I generally turn it on, press the button to get it to 50% then hit the thumb key to begin navigating.

<elaborate explanation for simple function>

The power button is a 3 way toggle OFF, USER SETTING, FULL

The user setting starts off at 50% but once it is changed it STAYS at whatever it is set at and this persists even with a battery change. To set it one needs to change it then press the enter key.

After the display backlight has been set then a slight touch on the rocker switch will turn on the back light, (I really like this feature) If the light is already on then moving the rocker switch will put the map into 'scroll' mode.

Now when the unit is powered off then on, the light comes on during the initialisation but then returns to off. That is, after the light comes on then off again, touching the rocker switch will not turn on the backlight but rather it will put the map into scroll mode. Basically after powering back on, it is as if before powering it off the power button was pressed until the light went off then the 'enter' button was pressed.

BUT...

The second position between on and off REMAINS at whatever it was set at.

So this is how you use it...

Turn the backlight on then set the level that you prefer then press the 'enter key' (rocker switch).

Once that has been done the light can be switched on by moving the rocker switch.

When the unit has been powered off and on again if you want your previous light setting back then you press the 'on' switch twice then press the 'enter' key.

Note: If you press the power key till the backlight is at 100% then change the backlight to something less then press enter, you *do not* alter the 'full power' toggle, the change is reflected in the 'middle' 'user setting'. So if the three settings are Off, 50%, Full, and you then toggle to the 'full' (or 'off') setting and change it to 10% then the three settings will be Off, 10%, Full.

</elaborate explanation for simple function>

Edited by gallet

So this is how you use it...

Turn the backlight on then set the level that you prefer then press the 'enter key' (rocker switch).

You don't need to press the Enter key after adjusting the backlight. Just let it time out and it will stay at the level where you left it. Same thing for power-on. Just click the power button twice to restore your User Level, no need to press Enter.

@'SiliconFiend

OK I've had another look and you are partly correct. If one adjusts the backlight and lets it timeout (although I'm not sure why anyone would want to) then it does persist but only ffor the session, it does not persist after a restart. To persist after a restart then it must be 'entered'.

Edited by gallet

Gallet,

Thanks for the "elaborate explanation for a simple function." The backlight function has been driving me nuts. I didn't realize pressing the power button twice would bring up my backlight settings. That's far simpler than what I had been doing. :laughing:

cjf

@'SiliconFiend

OK I've had another look and you are partly correct. If one adjusts the backlight and lets it timeout (although I'm not sure why anyone would want to) then it does persist but only ffor the session, it does not persist after a restart. To persist after a restart then it must be 'entered'.

Try it again. After a restart, click the power button once to bring up the backlight control, then click the power button again and it will restore your "user" setting. Then you can let it time out or press the Page/Quit key to hide the backlight control, and the user setting will persist for the rest of the time you have it on (no need to press Enter). Note that you have to let it boot fully--wait for it to get to the Satellite screen. For some reason the backlight level is reset during the bootup process.

Basically, clicking the power button cycles the backlight between Off, User Setting, and 100%.

Is there a way to make it go to full brightness when attatched to an external power source. My 60Cx does but the Vista goes to 0 backlight after it starts up.

I don't think there's any way to make it do it automatically (it gets reset to 0 on startup) but if you toggle the backlight on while it's connected to an external power source, the backlight won't time out.