Confused about Garmin street pilot

Jeff488

I tried to figure this out on my own, but with no luck.

I have a street pilot 530.

I was given a 2610, but it only has street level maps for a couple states.

I understand that one gets 2 unlocks with city navigator north america, which came on the 530.

Can I download the NA City Nav to mapsource(I have city nav europe on my PC)and then, using one of the 2 unlocks, transfer city nav NA to the 2610 or its cf card?

Or do I just not understand this unlock business.

I know, it only costs about $100 for the CD, but I'd rather not spend the $ for something not often used(the 2610).

Thanks in advance

The City Nav mapping resides on your PC once you've loaded it. Yes, you can use the other unlock code (as you said, you get two unlock codes) for another unit. You are entitled to load your maps on any two units. Once you've registered your two codes to the two units, you can not load maps to another unit without paying an additional fee for another unlock code.

The City Nav mapping resides on your PC once you've loaded it. Yes, you can use the other unlock code (as you said, you get two unlock codes) for another unit. You are entitled to load your maps on any two units. Once you've registered your two codes to the two units, you can not load maps to another unit without paying an additional fee for another unlock code.

OK, I understand that. However, the only maps I've put on my computer is city nav europe.

I didn't get a cd with the 530, and that's where city nav NA is(I presume in an internal memory).

How do I move that to the computer so it can be downloaded to the 2610 cf card?

Thanks, Jeff

I understand that one gets 2 unlocks with city navigator north america, which came on the 530.

Can I download the NA City Nav to mapsource(I have city nav europe on my PC)and then, using one of the 2 unlocks, transfer city nav NA to the 2610 or its cf card?

I know, it only costs about $100 for the CD, but I'd rather not spend the $ for something not often used(the 2610).

Thanks in advance

The bolded part above is incorrect. Garmin never gave a second unlock code with units that didn't come with the full DVD.

Here's what the policy was prior to June 1, 2007. (Of course, after June 1, there's only one unlock period.)

6t1m4oi.jpg

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama

The 2610 came with street level maps of north america, you just don't have the whole country loaded. You just need to get ahold of a disk of the version that came with your 2610. First find out the version of the maps loaded. Find or borrow that disk, load that to your computer, then you can load different streets to your 2610. Maybe contact garmin and see if they will send you a backup disc since you have lost yours.

Edited by sanramonhunter

Thanks in advance

Answers to the bolded items from another 530 owner:

You do not get two unlock codes with the 530, only one. Garmin changed their licensing prior to the release of the 500 series to allow only one unlock code. You have to buy a second but no reason to do so since you have to buy a new disk anyway since you can't move the map off your GPS.

You cannot download NA City Nav from the 530 to mapsource. The data on your 530 has been converted to its use and there is no way to revert it to mapsource nor can you transfer it to your 2610. The maps on your 530 include coding to identify it as for use only on that specific 530. Even if you could physically transfer it, all other GPS's including other 530s will see that map as invalid and refuse to use it.

Sorry to say, but you have to buy a new disk for your 2610. By the way, a City Nav disk cannot be used to update your 530 you have to have a separate upgrade disk for that. According to Garmin this is because of their license agreement with Navteq.

JD

The 2610 came with street level maps of north america, you just don't have the whole country loaded. You just need to get ahold of a disk of the version that came with your 2610. First find out the version of the maps loaded. Find or borrow that disk, load that to your computer, then you can load different streets to your 2610. Maybe contact garmin and see if they will send you a backup disc since you have lost yours.

OK, I suppose I can try that with Garmin. The 2610 has all of NA on it, but just the main highways.

There are only a few states that have street level maps, unfortunately not where I live.

Lord knows where the original backup disc is.

Perhaps if the situation is explained to them, they'll feel sorry for me and send the cd.

I'm not gonna hold my breath, especially considering what motorcycle mama wrote above.

Surely someone has hacked one of these units, but I think that would be pretty risky business.

Oh well, it's only money. :laughing:

Edited by Jeff488

OK, I suppose I can try that with Garmin. The 2610 has all of NA on it, but just the main highways.

There are only a few states that have street level maps, unfortunately not where I live.

The NA Major highways are built in. They are automatically in every mapping unit. The street level are entirely seperate. All the Streetpilot series to the best of my knowlegd come with a version of street level maps. But on those older models you couldn't load the entire U.S. street levels into it, not enough memory on the unit. So you just load the areas you were going to use in the forseable future. So whoever used it last put the maps on of thier area and probably filled the usable memory up with it. So without the disc to upload the sections you want you are S.O.L. So your choices are 1.) somehow get ahold of the cd's or DVD with the correct version for your unit. Or Buy the 2008 update disc. I think they can be found for $70, plus you'd have newer maps.