POLL - what's YOUR favorite?

SKKC

Hello everyone,

I'm having a hard time deciding on a few things. I know there are a LOT of opinions on what is the BEST for each of these things. What I'm looking for is:

What is YOUR FAVORITE in each of these if you have them (or want them), doesn't matter whether it's the eXplorist or the 530HCx!

YOUR FAVORITE:

1. GPS

2. Paperless Device and Software

3. Software for downloading Waypoints

4. Maps

Thanks a BUNCH!

SKKC

I don't have either, but...., after something like 4 years of caching nationwide (we also terracache), we have evolved through something like five garmins, two Magellans (sportraks- kept dropping them) to using the Delorme PN-20 with topo 6 mapping. If you don't know it yet, it's all about the mapping and presentation thereof, not so much the GPSR. The PN-20 is remarkably sensitive with scale resolution to 10 ft. and it is accurate within that scale if five or six satellites are visible. Then, we use the Nokia N800 data tablet bluetoothed to a Verizon Motorola Razr cell phone. The N800 faithfully downloads Geocaching.com cache pages if within BBA range of Verizon. Otherwise the N800 will download and save Geocaching pages for viewing offline. The N800 is wifi capable.

1. I use a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx.

2. I usually can remember most info I need after reading the cache name, but for more info, hints, etc., I use my iPhone. The wap.geocaching.com site is very easy to use and loads quickly even on cell phone networks, so I just access the info on-the-go, usually when I'm having trouble finding a cache. I don't think I've ever printed out any cache pages to take along.

3. I also use GSAK. It's nice to have one program to load a few days worth of caches onto several GPSrs. I use it to send caches to two Garmins and one Magellan.

4. I use MapSource to transfer the City Navigator maps to the 60CSx for auto-routing. I also have the TOPO maps, but at least for the caches I find around me, City Navigator is exponentially more useful than the TOPO.

1. GPS

For Geocaching, any newer Lowrance handheld. (Mine is older but I'd like a new one.)

Palm M125, with Plucker, and Sunrise XP to send the HTML cache database to it.

GSAK, does it all.

4. Maps

Google Earth for detailed advance planning. However I usually use MapPoint 2006 for previewing the caches in an area. (Essentially the same as Streets and Trips.)

These are great! It's always SO overwhelming to consider adding something to the mix of needed supplies. It helps to see what others are using TOGETHER. I'm always afraid I will get something that doesn't work well with something else I get. I don't want to spend my time troubleshooting :anitongue: I have a couple of friends wanting to get started and I had no idea what direction to point them.

Thanks and keep 'em coming!

SKKC (Kelly)

GPS - Garmin Map60cx

PDA - Palm IIIxe - Cachemate

Software for Waypoints "and Tracks" - GSAK, OziExplorer, Mapsource. (Note: Ozi is important for "uploading" tracks)

Maps (in order of preference) - a Custom made map of my area, Mapsource Topo Canada, Mapsource Metroguide Canada, Fugawi Canada Topo

Edited by ergomaniac

1.A PDA/GPS setup. running Backcountry Navigator mapping software.

2.The PDA is a Dell X50, the receiver is an OnCourse Navigator.

3.Backcountry Navigator deals well with waypoints and geocaching files for paperless caching.

4.The big deal with Backcountry Navigator is the use of free USGS topo maps and aerial photos of your choice.

Oh yeah, Backcountry Navigator costs a whopping $30.00.

Unfortunately it use is limited to the US.

Edited by rlridgeway

We're using an Etrex Legend & it does it's job just fine.

GSAK organizes, filters & sends waypoints, descriptions & clues to the GPSr & to my wife's Ipod. The Ipod works very well, all waypoints are listed alphabetically as "Contacts". Just whiz through to the one you need to read, click & the page appears on the screen. (I wouldn't buy an Ipod specifically for this purpose, there are a lot of way cheaper options but if you have one, use it).

YOUR FAVORITE:

1. GPS - Currently on hunt for new GPSr; been using Dell Axim X50v with Backcountry Navigator gps software and it has worked really well; external blue tooth GPSr w/ sirf chip. BCN gives you all the cache points, hints, notes, closest waypoints, has tracks, etc.

2. Paperless Device and Software - Backcountry Navigator has it all integrated.

3. Software for downloading Waypoints - GSAK rocks!

4. Maps - integrated into BCN, terraserver. Downside is only us based.

1. GPS - DeLorme PN-20 and AT&T Tilt (New)

2. Paperless - AT&T Tilt running Smache prefiltered by GSAK (about to try others)

3. Downloading - DeLorme's Topo USA (required for PN-20) downloading GPXs generated by GSAK

4. Maps - Comes with Topo USA and DeLorme's Street Atlas (on the Tilt)

CodeWrangler

2. Paperless Device and Software - This one will surprise you: A TI-89 Titanium graphing calculator. Works great!

:ph34r: TI-89 Titanium graphing calculator??? You're right, I'm surprised! How do you transfer the cache info to it? And what made you think to try it?

Kelly

1. GPS - DeLorme PN-20

2. Paperless - Palm TX you don't need one this nice but, I use the MP3 player and wirerless internet when I travel.

3. Downloading - DeLorme's Topo USA V6 and CacheMate.

4. Maps - Comes with Topo USA These are the best maps you can get but, maps for Canada are limited.

DElorme has just released TOPO USA version 7 which is supose to have vast improvments for the PN-20 GPSu. I would chek this out before you buy somthing else.

I use the PN-20 because I was already using TOPO USA where I work, My work does a lot of surveying and also We travel on the job. TOPO was used for trip planning and locating points. The PN-20 is a little slower than some of the other GPS units I have used but none of them have as many features as the PN-20. also the acuacy and receiver sensitivity is unbeatable for units in this price range.

If all you use your GPS for is Geocacheing then you may want to look for somthing cheaper but if you want to do more than Geocache the PN-20 with TOPO USA is a good choice.

Radar Ron

GSAK organizes, filters & sends waypoints, descriptions & clues to the GPSr & to my wife's Ipod. The Ipod works very well, all waypoints are listed alphabetically as "Contacts". Just whiz through to the one you need to read, click & the page appears on the screen. (I wouldn't buy an Ipod specifically for this purpose, there are a lot of way cheaper options but if you have one, use it).

Do you know how to go about sending them to the ipod? I am having a tough time finding that in the menus..

Thanks!

I have been using:

1. Magellan eXplorist 210

2. Palm Tungsten E2 with Cachemate

3. GSAK

4. Delorme Street Atlas and Topo USA

However, now that I've got it loaded I think all I need is the following:

1., 2., 3., 4., Blackberry Curve 8310 w/ Trimble Geocache Navigator

I believe this is truly the all-in-one I've been looking for!

Do you know how to go about sending them to the ipod? I am having a tough time finding that in the menus..

Thanks!

This is the thread that I got directions from (first response to the original topic poster):

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=...amp;#entry29863

It sounds pretty complex, but it really is quite simple to follow the steps/directions.

There is a video tutorial that will lead you right through the setup process & can be paused step-by-step as you physically follow the directions here:

http://www.podcacher.com/files/paperlessipod/iPod.htm

Once you have GSAK setup right you can create and export the file to your Ipod (takes about 3.5 seconds). All you have to do to view cache listings on your Ipod is click: Menu>Extras>Contacts & you'll have an alphabetical list of all of the cache names that were in your filter when you exported the file to your Ipod (the export procedure is now repeatable for future exports by File>Export>Custom Export in GSAK). Spin your wheel around until you land on and click the cache name that you want to read and something that looks like a "printer friendly version" of the cache page appears on the screen. It shows the cache name, coordinates, description & decoded hint. When using our Ipod in this manner, we just leave it on all day & very little battery is used (screen backlight is set to auto-off after about 15 seconds of inactivity).

One little glitch is that when your Ipod is hooked up to your computer & working as an external drive. Once you export the file to the Ipod, it is very tempting to click open that file from your computer to verify that it is there & contains the info that you want it to. DON'T! If you do, a stupid little windows screen will pop up that has to be closed before you can continue doing anything. Oh yeah, one of those screens will pop up for EVERY "contact" that is in the file (if you send 487 contacts, you will have to chase down & push the button 487 times, LOL). Just Eject the Ipod from My Computer, pull the plug & check the file content with Menu>Extras>Contacts on the Ipod :)

Edited by fastforty

1. GPS: eXplorist 500, because of its size, sensitive receiver, battery system, file management system.

2. PDA: Sony Clie TJ25, because of its small size, 320x320 color TFT screen, long battery life. Use GSAK to prepare HTML file, Sunrise XP to spin it, and Plucker in the PDA to read and manage the caches. Other Palm OS programs: Navigate, Tide Tool, PalmPDF.

3. Software: GSAK is the best for filtering and preparing many file formats. Second most used is GPSBabel.

4. Maps: Google Earth on the PC. Mapsend Topo 3d in the GPSr. Also use Natl Geo on the PC, and Mapsend Direct Route in the GPSr.

5. Geotagging Photos: GPicSync is easy and quick. Match your photos and GPS Tracklog and create nice KMZ/KML files for GE.

GPS, Etrex Legend CX with 2 gb

Maps, City Navigator North America V7

Paperless, HP Pavilion laptop computer: We open all the Caches we are looking for in Internet Explorer, the tab version. We leave the computer in the car and look at the hints before we begin each Cache. When we return home we just sign on to Geocaching. com in the first tab and hit refresh on the other tabs and log our finds. We will soon have AT&T high speed Internet and we will be able to sign on at McDonald's and other hot spots, this will be great for when we find ourselves near a cache we did not open a page for.

Software, Easy GPS

Edited by saw-saw

2. Paperless Device and Software - This one will surprise you: A TI-89 Titanium graphing calculator. Works great!

:) TI-89 Titanium graphing calculator??? You're right, I'm surprised! How do you transfer the cache info to it? And what made you think to try it?

Kelly

I got my graphing calculator before I got my current GPSr. This particular graphing calculator has a USB interface. TI provides calculator software called "NoteFolio", which allows me to store text notes in the calculator, and a computer program called "NoteFolio Creator" permits me to type the notes into my computer—which is much quicker than typing them directly into my calculator—and then download them into the calculator so I can quickly refer to them while out in the field. Cool, eh?

Here are a couple of screenshots of geocache information in my calculator:

TI.png

Edited by DENelson83

I did this just this week using this link: http://www.podcacher.com/files/paperlessipod/iPod.swf

The only thing I had to do differently was to manually place the GPX file in the temp folder. After viewing the video you will understand. I was surprised that this worked with my Nano. I hope this helps!

evshro

Thanks!

I did this just this week using this link: http://www.podcacher.com/files/paperlessipod/iPod.swf

The only thing I had to do differently was to manually place the GPX file in the temp folder. After viewing the video you will understand. I was surprised that this worked with my Nano. I hope this helps!

evshro

Thanks!

MY FAVORITE:

1. GPS: Explorist 500le, but I must say the Triton looks promising and Magellan most likely will no longer support the Explorist series

2. Paperless Device and Software: Dell Axim with Cachemate and I just learned how to use the I-Pod for this. HOWEVER: The Triton line may be able to do both: Hold the coordinates of the cache AND the cache descriptions. I am awaiting confirmation of this.

3. Software for downloading Waypoints: Easy GPS or GSAK. Vantage Point looks great too.

4. Maps: NO preference...I just want find the cache

evshro

The Triton line may be able to do both: Hold the coordinates of the cache AND the cache descriptions. I am awaiting confirmation of this.

The DeLorme Earthmate GPS PN-20 can do this... hold the coordinates AND the cache description. We currently support 256 characters in the waypoint comment field and will be releasing a firmware update to increase to 800 characters very soon. The info from a GPX cache description will be transferred to the device automatically when you use Topo USA 7.0.

For more information visit our geocaching landing page... www.delorme.com/geocaching or send me an e-mail...

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

What you have said about the Delorme really peeks my interest in the product, and I will be checking it out. My question would be: why stop at 800 characters? Multiple caches and even traditional caches can be pretty wordy and be cut short after 800 characters. I am not sure if you work for Delorme, but if you do, it is good to see a company with people on these boards. I have read nothing but good things about Delormes' service.

evshro

The DeLorme Earthmate GPS PN-20 can do this... hold the coordinates AND the cache description. We currently support 256 characters in the waypoint comment field and will be releasing a firmware update to increase to 800 characters very soon. The info from a GPX cache description will be transferred to the device automatically when you use Topo USA 7.0.

For more information visit our geocaching landing page... www.delorme.com/geocaching or send me an e-mail...

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

I was reading this exact same info yesterday, and it's definitely a step in the right direction. This is so MUCH more than loading POI's to my 60cx with 44 characters in the name field and 88 in the description field, or waypoints at 14 characters name and 30 in the comment field.

How many characters can waypoint names have on the Delorme Earthmate GPS PN-20???

1. GPS - GPSMAP 76CSx

3. Software for downloading Waypoints - None. I do that part manually.

4. Maps - Garmin City Nav, MetroGuide Canada and Topo Canada.

Just to clarify, I download the waypoint information into my TI-89 Titanium manually. To get the waypoints into my GPSr, I use MapSource or the Garmin Communicator plugin on geocaching.com.

Edited by DENelson83

1. GPS

SIRF III GPS Built into my Eten Glofish X800 Windows Mobile Device

2. Paperless Device and Software.

Again, Eten X800 with BackCountry Navigator.

I just import the GPX query into BackCountry Navigator, Desktop Edition or Mobile edition.

4. Maps

I like outdoor maps -Topo and aerial maps that BackCountry Navigator downloads from Terraserver-usa. In areas around Portland, I am lucky enough to get color urban areas photography.

My device is also my PDA and cell phone.

Edited by PocketSierra

1. GPS

Magellan GPS Companion for Palm M500 (slightly modded to work with an M125.

2. Paperless device and software

Palm M550 (a.k.a. Tungensten T)

Palm M125 as backup unit

Cetus GPS software for the Palm device.

Inner backup for backing up the palm devices to an sd card.

3. Software for downloading way points.

GPSBabel for converting between GPX and Palm file formats

Palm Hotsync for transferring the files.

4. Maps

I currently don't use any maps.

Usage notes: Cetus GPS allows me to maintain and switch between several independent lists of waypoints. I use 4 of these lists, "All" for all the caches I haven't looked for yet, "Found" for the ones I have found, "DNF" for those I tried and couldn't find, and "Maint" for the ones that I find damaged and need maintainence.

Cetus GPS allow the waypoints to be sorted alphabetically or by proximity (which I prefer) and when I seek a cache and find it, I simple move the cache listing from "All" to "found". I use "Dnf" and "maint" the same way.

ON the PC, I sync the palm, then run a bat file the uses GPSBabel to convert the "dnf", "found" and "maint" lists to html for a handy reference when I am on the geocaching web site to log the caches. After logging the caches, I can then run a new Pocket query, save the zip file attachment to a certain directory, run the bat file again to freshen the files and tag them to resync with the palm.

I was reading this exact same info yesterday, and it's definitely a step in the right direction. This is so MUCH more than loading POI's to my 60cx with 44 characters in the name field and 88 in the description field, or waypoints at 14 characters name and 30 in the comment field.

How many characters can waypoint names have on the Delorme Earthmate GPS PN-20???

Waypoints can have 32 characters for names and 256 characters for comments as of today. We'll be rolling a firmware update out soon to expand comments to 800 characters.

To answer Evshro & son, we chose 800 characters as a first pass at extended support for the geocaching details. We'll be making further improvements with each new release and hope to challenge all those multi-device cachers who carry a PDA with them when they are hiking.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks...

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

Waypoints can have 32 characters for names and 256 characters for comments as of today. We'll be rolling a firmware update out soon to expand comments to 800 characters.

To answer Evshro & son, we chose 800 characters as a first pass at extended support for the geocaching details. We'll be making further improvements with each new release and hope to challenge all those multi-device cachers who carry a PDA with them when they are hiking.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks...

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

We'll be making further improvements with each new release and hope to challenge all those multi-device cachers who carry a PDA with them when they are hiking.

The only way I could see that happening is to double the screen size and processor power of the PN-20. I realize that the SD capability gives lots of storage space, but I'm sure I'm not the only cacher out there that loads TONS of waypoints based on everywhere I MIGHT be going on a trip.

GSAK handles waypoint management by allowing me to download GPXs all at once in preparation for a trip and then slice and dice them at will. From there, I export various filtered views into Topo 7 so that I can toggle between All caches, Ones I haven't found, Easy ones, Non-Micros, ....

Unfortunately, that's where it breaks down right now. I'd like those segregations to remain when sending them into the PN-20, but at 200-500 per filter (sometimes more, remember GSAK is combining the 500-limited GPXs into one GPX), the 1,000 waypoint limit in the PN-20 looms quite large.

So, for now, I simply delete all caches (by symbol) in the PN-20 and resend the view that I'd like to have portable for a particular outing. Non-Micro easy ones for travelling, Ones I haven't found when alone, Everything when I'm out with others.

Works well, but I can't see the PN-20's current hardware meeting the needs of THIS particular cacher.

Lynn (D) - aka CodeWrangler - PN-20 owner & AT&T Tilt user

I've heard similar feedback from our hardcore forum users regarding Topo USA's ability to handle their waypoint management needs. GSAK is a powerful tool, no doubt. We recognize everyone's desire to sort and filter by all of the different Groundspeak tags. We've been working toward better GPX support for a couple of releases now, that's why were here listening to feedback from people on the Geocaching forum as well as on forum.delorme.com. We have plans to improve Topo and the PN GPS device... suggestions like yours will help us toward that goal. Obviously, the individual cachers will be the final judge as to whether we deliver enough functionality to let them move to a single device in the field. 800 characters is coming soon, I used it the other day to get shut out on The Great Molasses Cache in Boston. Just goes to show that all the details and clues in the world won't help you if it gets too dark or your fingers get too cold!

Fire me an e-mail and I'll give you details on the next PN update...

Thanks,

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

Edited by Team DeLorme

My Palm, and now my N800, can carry every cache in existence if I want it to. 1000 waypoints is only a very minor fraction of what I carry on these, and they also show the cache pages completely, no 800 or 800,000 character limit. A GPS simply cannot do the job of a PDA or a computer unless it has a complete OS. I prefer to use my N800 and a cheap bluetooth GPS. With the N800 or a Palm, I have a complete OS, can download all the maps I want for free, and display my GPS position on them. For caching satellite (or aerial photo) images are very nice. I can use Maemo Mapper on the N800 to download the images and use the bluetooth GPS to display my position, the cache position, and if I want get driving directions to the cache. The DeLorme GPS is nice, but it's not in the same league. The N800 only cost $200, the software is free, and the bluetooth GPS was another ~$35. This gives far more functionality and capability than any standalone GPS ever will, for far less money. The N800 is a complete computer by itself, giving me email, Skype, contacts, calendar, and anything else a computer can do, and the geocaching is just another small application. Buying a geocaching GPS makes absolutely no sense to me.

The N800 is a complete computer by itself, giving me email, Skype, contacts, calendar, and anything else a computer can do, and the geocaching is just another small application. Buying a geocaching GPS makes absolutely no sense to me.

Do you worry about the weather when you're geocaching? I suppose there are otter boxes and plastic enclosures to protect you from the rain... having geocached in the snow recently I appreciate the waterproof/ruggedized nature of a handheld GPS. You're solution definitely sounds high tech though, we're just hoping that the average cacher will consider a solution that tries to put it all together for them. Still, cell phone connection to the geocaching.com site is sweet. I've checked for other cachers' comments before to see if a cache had been disturbed. Can't do that with a GPX file... I'll add it to my internal wish list. Thanks for the feedback.

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

1. GPS

4. Maps

1. DeLorme PN-20

2. DeLorme PN-20 (I can add all the info I need in the comment field)

3. GSAK into Topo USA 7

4. Aerial imagery on the PN-20 plus the DeLorme Topo maps.

No, I do not work for DeLorme, I just like their products :)

1. GPS--DeLorme PN20

2. Paperless Device and Software-Not used.

3. Software for downloading Waypoints-GSAK

4. Maps-Delorme Topo 7. I got Topo 6 with my PN20 but Topo 6 didn't work well on my new Vista machine. I reported that on the DeLorme forum and was given instructions as to how to receive the new Topo 7 for free directly from DeLorme. Their customer service treated me like all excellent companies' do.

I am a relative newbee with only 135 finds to date. I have only used the PN20 so I don't have anything to compare to.

:rolleyes: btw; I need to have an opinion for a GPSr for my young grandson that is not too technical or expensive. I have been thinking that something like one of the Garmin Etrex products might serve him well?