Geocoin Contest Idea

mrbeachroach

So I posted the geocoin 101 log and now im getting excited about geocoins!! So im trying to find a fun and cheep way to get my first geocoin. Here is my Contest idea, all you geocoin finatics that have many and some duplicates check this out and tell me if this would work. We have the coins you dont really want or need sent to my house until we reach 10 entrys, the ones that I recive will be posted online with pics, you could only send 1 coin per geocaching.com screen name. Once we have ten players as the moderator of the contest I will have my 2 year old son pick a name at random. The winner will win all the coins that the other players submited as thier ante, and I would keep the winning players 1 coin that was submited has his' or her, ante. So a chance for me to win my first geocoin, and a 1 in 10 chance to win 9 coins!!! Would this work, and if so would anyone be interested? What are some of the bugs that would need to be worked Out?

-P.S. You have to give me some credit here for trying if this wont work!!!!!

All well and good, but I'll pass. I'm not sure how many would be interested in gambling like this (or if it's allowed for that matter).

My thought, pick a coin you like and buy it! When you do buy it, buy an extra so you have something for trade!! If you do this a few times, you'll not only have the beginning of a collection, you'll also have some trade coins with which to build your collection even more (really, the trade coins will bring you the joy of working with others and learning the ropes of trading coins).

You aren't actually WINNING anything, you are GETTING a free coin for setting up the "game". Good luck on that end...

If I had any extra coins, I'd be MORE than happy to send a coin to you to start your collection...sorry. Maybe in the near future though!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

So I posted the geocoin 101 log and now im getting excited about geocoins!! So im trying to find a fun and cheep way to get my first geocoin. Here is my Contest idea, all you geocoin finatics that have many and some duplicates check this out and tell me if this would work. We have the coins you dont really want or need sent to my house until we reach 10 entrys, the ones that I recive will be posted online with pics, you could only send 1 coin per geocaching.com screen name. Once we have ten players as the moderator of the contest I will have my 2 year old son pick a name at random. The winner will win all the coins that the other players submited as thier ante, and I would keep the winning players 1 coin that was submited has his' or her, ante. So a chance for me to win my first geocoin, and a 1 in 10 chance to win 9 coins!!! Would this work, and if so would anyone be interested? What are some of the bugs that would need to be worked Out?

Pleas do not let your son mess with the geo coins. I took my grandsons collection to a Lead content program they were holding in Columbus Ohio last week for the Lead paint on toys. Beings this was his collection I wanted to to know if they had lead paint. Out of 26 19 of them had high levels of lead paint. If you don't know where they are made it could be a health hazard. Just want to let you know.

If You want I will send you a coin for your self, All I need is one Soldiers name you chose so I can put out one for that soldier here in Ohio. I see you have 1 from your area ,Lanc Cpl. M. Clark ,or if you have another one in mind let me know.

If you mail me your address I will send you a coin that is shaped like a Dog tag that is trackable.

here is where you can find your state soldiers.

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/fallen/states/tn/

USA 45

Pleas do not let your son mess with the geo coins. I took my grandsons collection to a Lead content program they were holding in Columbus Ohio last week for the Lead paint on toys. Beings this was his collection I wanted to to know if they had lead paint. Out of 26 19 of them had high levels of lead paint. If you don't know where they are made it could be a health hazard. Just want to let you know.

wow thanks alot!!! great info, whos making them China?

If You want I will send you a coin for your self, All I need is one Soldiers name you chose so I can put out one for that soldier here in Ohio. I see you have 1 from your area ,Lanc Cpl. M. Clark ,or if you have another one in mind let me know.

If you mail me your address I will send you a coin that is shaped like a Dog tag that is trackable.

USA 45

Please do not enter in your contest. Only string is to give me a soldiers name.

wow thanks alot!!! great info, whos making them China?

I understand that most of the lead paint items are coming from china.

USA 45

Please do not enter in your contest. Only string is to give me a soldiers name.

Agreed. It will be an honor to carry this coin. Thank you.

Well we are running at 2% so far 200 people have read this post and 2 have responded, not bad for the first day. Don't be shy lets have some fun with this we only need 8 more people before we will draw a winner!!

After the antes are here and in we I will post the pics of the entrys before the drawing. Thanks!!! And Much Luck to Ya!!

Oh no . . . You're not going to be our "new deafhunt" are you?

Because Iv only been here a couple of weeks, I have no Idea what a "Deafhunt" is. Im assuming that it probably is not a good thing? Nevertheless, whatever it is I probably am not. The Contest is simple. Send in the coin you dont want. We draw 1 name out of the entrys and he wins all the coins but his own. Thats all. No more No Less. But please What or who is Deafhunt?

We have 3 people in now only 7 to go!!! Think of your geocoins as money. If they are just sitting there in a savings account they are not doing anything. If you invest them into the market there is a chance to multiply and work for you. So send in the coin that is not working for you. 7 Spots to go. We are at 30% Thanks and Be Blessed.

-Beachroach

Well we are running at 2% so far 200 people have read this post and 2 have responded, not bad for the first day. Don't be shy lets have some fun with this we only need 8 more people before we will draw a winner!!

After the antes are here and in we I will post the pics of the entrys before the drawing. Thanks!!! And Much Luck to Ya!!

Actually, that would only be 1%. But since you have 3 now and I'm about to join in, that'll be 2% :anitongue:

Actually, that would only be 1%. But since you have 3 now and I'm about to join in, that'll be 2% :anitongue:

I cant do percentages, or somtimes spell, but im a good and honest moderator!! Thanks for the correction. I got an email from someone else and you will make 5!!! Half way there!!

A sincere thousands of pardons :anitongue: I honestly read your first posting wrong and assumed you were mocking the "rules" some put on their cointests. And that you were actually wanting others to send you free coins for your own personal collection. So, Sorry!

Anyways, Deafhunt is- from what I gather- a young cacher in Alaska who is deaf. When he first started to do the forums, all his posts seemed to be centered around others sending him free coins.

If you'll allow me, I'd like to participate <_<

A sincere thousands of pardons :anitongue: I honestly read your first posting wrong and assumed you were mocking the "rules" some put on their cointests. And that you were actually wanting others to send you free coins for your own personal collection. So, Sorry!

Anyways, Deafhunt is- from what I gather- a young cacher in Alaska who is deaf. When he first started to do the forums, all his posts seemed to be centered around others sending him free coins.

If you'll allow me, I'd like to participate <_<

No Harm, No Foul. I just want to keep these forums interesting. Anyone can participate. Geocaching is a community. Welcome to this faucet of it!! With you in that leaves 4 more spots. we are at 60%.

Deafhunt worked hard on becoming a contributing member of these forums and the geocoin community, let's please leave him out of this thread and keep on topic.

Remember rule #1. Respect for other forums users.

Yes, I have to agree. Please accept my apologies I wasn't trying to put anybody down, though. I feel that we have all become fans of him. I think we even miss his postings :anitongue:

O.K so this is a bit off topic but I felt I needed to explain.

Im in...send me your addy!...The bump worked.

Your not some kinda wouldbe cointest moderator thats just plannin on gatherin a whole slew of coins in a quick grab from a bunch of geocoin Suckabusta's now are ya :lol: ...cause that'd be a quick way fer a collection~cheap too!...JK B)

Better odds than the lottery, who else we got??? B)

Im in...send me your addy!...The bump worked.

Your not some kinda wouldbe cointest moderator thats just plannin on gatherin a whole slew of coins in a quick grab from a bunch of geocoin Suckabusta's now are ya :lol: ...cause that'd be a quick way fer a collection~cheap too!...JK B)

Better odds than the lottery, who else we got??? B)

No, Im not slezzy like that, but thanks for asking. This thread started as a neby question and evolved into the game kinda exciting. I think we only need 1 more person after you I will do some figuring after work today round 6pm. When this all goes well, I already have a great Idea for December also. more to come need 1 more person.

Let me just say this. My posting to a thread does not mean I condone a cointest. There haven't been any guidelines written for cointests yet. So far each person has been making up their own cointest rules as they go. It wasn't Groundspeak's idea to start having cointests. That was a community thing. If people think this is gambling, then we don't have to have it. If you choose to enter into a cointest that asks that you send someone a free coin, that is your perogative. The way I read it, the OP would keep one coin, and give away the rest. If anyone feels this is not a fair cointest, say so. You do not have to play. In the meantime, I guess this means we'll have to look into cointest guidelines. I do know that gambling, and asking for monetary payment would not be allowed. Coins could be considered monetary, if you look at this way, so maybe the OP would have been better off running this kind of thing by Groundspeak first. Really, if you ever wonder if an idea is allowed, you should ask the company that owns and runs the website, first.

One geocoin guideline to remember is this:

Those choosing to participate in an exchange on this board take full responsibility for any consequences of that exchange. Groundspeak is in no way involved in the sale or trading of items on this board and will not be held responsible or liable in any way for quality issues, fraud or any default of transfer on the part of the buyer or seller.

Let me just say this. My posting to a thread does not mean I condone a cointest. There haven't been any guidelines written for cointests yet. So far each person has been making up their own cointest rules as they go. It wasn't Groundspeak's idea to start having cointests. That was a community thing. If people think this is gambling, then we don't have to have it. If you choose to enter into a cointest that asks that you send someone a free coin, that is your perogative. The way I read it, the OP would keep one coin, and give away the rest. If anyone feels this is not a fair cointest, say so. You do not have to play. In the meantime, I guess this means we'll have to look into cointest guidelines. I do know that gambling, and asking for monetary payment would not be allowed. Coins could be considered monetary, if you look at this way, so maybe the OP would have been better off running this kind of thing by Groundspeak first. Really, if you ever wonder if an idea is allowed, you should ask the company that owns and runs the website, first.

Those choosing to participate in an exchange on this board take full responsibility for any consequences of that exchange. Groundspeak is in no way involved in the sale or trading of items on this board and will not be held responsible or liable in any way for quality issues, fraud or any default of transfer on the part of the buyer or seller.

Respectfully, thank you for your imput. Now let me clear the are on 2 things. #1 This thread started as a newbie post question, on would this actually work, and evolved into the cointest that it actually is. I figured the best way for me to find out the guidlines was to ask a question and thats what I did If this is against the guidlines then I will gladly stop the cointest, and I respect your nuetrall by default postiton. Thank you. Now with that aside. 2ndly, this is NOT gambling. Let me clear all of the air on this!!! Let me explain. The rules of geocaching whether writen or not, are that if you are caching then you must leave someting in order to take something. How many times do you take swag from your home that you do not want and leave it in the cache WITHOUT taking anything in return? How many times do you bring the Mcdonalds toy and take the book or the 2 dollar bill? Most would precive that you gambled for a better prize. The item you take would be of more value then what you left, would it not? Then why did you take it? This is no different. Let us say that it is equall to a ftf prize. 9 coins deffenatly worth more than 1. If the ftf prize is a $20 bill, and you brought a Mcdonalds toy to trade that was a pretty good swap. Again, this is no different. The same way you must bring something to leave, whether you want to call it a cache, or toy, or swag, or "ANTE", the bottom line is that outside the geocaching community most anything we are swaping or trading or WINNING, is not worth anything to a non geocacher. Makes since? So concluding, if we must bring swag in order to play geocaching, then sending swag, in order to get more swag by geocoin contest is no different then the very rules that defined this game. Respectfully thank you Groudspeak, Geocaching.com and our Moderator. Until instructed differently, we will continue to do what this website designed us to do, and that is to build a family and promote geocaching. Game on. -mrbeachroach

Now that I got that out, after a count we need 2 more. I will leave this open until Wendsday at 8pm. If we do not have our 10 by then, we will continue with the 8 we do have. After all coins have been send in I will take pictures of them and post them for all to see. Im working on doing a live drawing via yahoo messenger or youtube, depening of what will work best so everyone sees that is was keept random.

-mrbeachroach.

Respectfully, thank you for your imput. Now let me clear the are on 2 things. #1 This thread started as a newbie post question, on would this actually work, and evolved into the cointest that it actually is. I figured the best way for me to find out the guidlines was to ask a question and thats what I did If this is against the guidlines then I will gladly stop the cointest, and I respect your nuetrall by default postiton. Thank you. Now with that aside. 2ndly, this is NOT gambling. Let me clear all of the air on this!!! Let me explain. The rules of geocaching whether writen or not, are that if you are caching then you must leave someting in order to take something. How many times do you take swag from your home that you do not want and leave it in the cache WITHOUT taking anything in return? How many times do you bring the Mcdonalds toy and take the book or the 2 dollar bill? Most would precive that you gambled for a better prize. The item you take would be of more value then what you left, would it not? Then why did you take it? This is no different. Let us say that it is equall to a ftf prize. 9 coins deffenatly worth more than 1. If the ftf prize is a $20 bill, and you brought a Mcdonalds toy to trade that was a pretty good swap. Again, this is no different. The same way you must bring something to leave, whether you want to call it a cache, or toy, or swag, or "ANTE", the bottom line is that outside the geocaching community most anything we are swaping or trading or WINNING, is not worth anything to a non geocacher. Makes since? So concluding, if we must bring swag in order to play geocaching, then sending swag, in order to get more swag by geocoin contest is no different then the very rules that defined this game. Respectfully thank you Groudspeak, Geocaching.com and our Moderator. Until instructed differently, we will continue to do what this website designed us to do, and that is to build a family and promote geocaching. Game on. -mrbeachroach

1. If you question the guidelines, the best thing to do is read them. There are geocoin guidelines, forum guidelines, and Terms of Use for the site. Even geocaching.com logo usage guidelines. And if we read the geocoin guidelines it says this: This forum may be used for selling, trading or giving away of geocoins which are trackable on Geocaching.com. This includes any trackable coin produced by an individual, business or geocaching organization. Non-trackable coins may be posted for trade by individual coin owners. The proceeds from a permitted coin sale can be used for any purpose, such as personal profit, support of a geocaching organization, or to benefit a charitable cause.

Nothing about cointests.

2. As I said, we don't have cointest guidelines yet, because it's new.

3. Cointests are not geocaching. It is different, completely different. And these coins are worth something, just read any of the ebay threads, and the first post in any coin sale.

4. And I repeat, we do not have guidelines yet for cointests. This is an ever evolving website, and we adjust as it grows.

So, for now, finish your cointest, while we adjust.

If I go to trade for something in a cache, there isn't any gamble to it at all, I pick what I want and leave what I want...AND, everyone else gets something if THEY want! Your "cointest" is a bit different and definitely gambling. You are asking the community to give you a coin to run a game in which they MIGHT win 9 coins (hence the gambling post).

I agree, this forum IS one big happy family (boy have I been shown that lately), coming in and doing giveaways and such, setting up coin swaps like the SS missions and such are GREAT ways to get to know everyone in the community without asking for something in return!

As was pointed out, we all do COINTESTS, those are great! I truly hope that this doesn't make GS re-evaluate our fun giveaways, if those stopped because of this, you might not be making as many friends as you'd hoped. If every newb decides to do this type of dealings, I'm not doubting things would change around here darned fast. PLEASE don't ruin a good thing!

I'm in no way trying to rain on your parade, but lets not confuse a cointest with this as a cointest is done freely and lovingly to GIVE. I'm not sure how this thread started as a newb question since the OP asks everyone to send a coin to participate, you keep one and the winner gets the rest. They are essentially paying you to compete for a prize. And how is this promoting geocaching?

Again, good luck, I hope this doesn't force change!

1. If you question the guidelines, the best thing to do is read them. There are geocoin guidelines, forum guidelines, and Terms of Use for the site. Even geocaching.com logo usage guidelines. And if we read the geocoin guidelines it says this: This forum may be used for selling, trading or giving away of geocoins which are trackable on Geocaching.com. This includes any trackable coin produced by an individual, business or geocaching organization. Non-trackable coins may be posted for trade by individual coin owners. The proceeds from a permitted coin sale can be used for any purpose, such as personal profit, support of a geocaching organization, or to benefit a charitable cause.

Nothing about cointests.

2. As I said, we don't have cointest guidelines yet, because it's new.

3. Cointests are not geocaching. It is different, completely different. And these coins are worth something, just read any of the ebay threads, and the first post in any coin sale.

4. And I repeat, we do not have guidelines yet for cointests. This is an ever evolving website, and we adjust as it grows.

So, for now, finish your cointest, while we adjust.

Oh man....I REALLY hope I'm not reading too much into this. PLEASE OH PLEASE don' screw up a good thing!

Thank-you Eartha for expressing this concern, I am also concerned as should ALL coin lovers who lovingly give coins here!

Mrbeach....this seems a warning to me, as I asked before, PLEASE don't mess up a great forums act of generosity. It would be different if you gave ALL the coins to the winner, that would make this NOT gambling.

IN FACT, MRbeach....I would FREELY give you one of my coins if you'd stop the gambling part and give all coins out in the cointest! This group means MUCH more to me than a coin, so I'd be more than happy to. Just give all the coins out and I'll send youa FREE coin (and it will be one you would want to have) In fact, I have a special coin rght here, I can have it in the mail today. PLEASE don't ruin this for everyone! No gamble, and you get a coin....everyone happy, no problems...

You see, it isn't really about the coin being given, it's about the FUN of trying to win the coin, it's about the joy of seeing (or actually, reading about) the joy the person had in winning the coin and the JOY the giver has in giving the coin.

Edited by Rockin Roddy

All cointests are run on the basis that you MIGHT win something.

Gambling would mean you have something invested in the "game" to win somthing. It isn't a "gamble' if you are winning something freely without cost to play....that's a giveaway (IMHO...which probably isn't worth squat).

No one is gambling on the cointests we usually see, nothing invested save time which is free (yet has much worth). I hope there wouldn't be a change to the giveaways, they sure are great (and everyone really wins)! Look at all the fun everyone has in trying to guess the answers or just be the lucky poster...look at all the fun the giver gets watching the others have fun. No one is out anything, no gamble.

ALSO, many times, you'll see the OP give out many more items than they said they would, spreading their joy to many!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

It would be different if you gave ALL the coins to the winner, that would make this NOT gambling.

Not really. It's still a game of chance to win that requires an ante or entry fee.

As Eartha stated, there are currently no guidelines around cointests so feel free to finish this one up.

We're not in a position right now to say how, or if, things will change in the future.

It would be different if you gave ALL the coins to the winner, that would make this NOT gambling.

Not really. It's still a game of chance to win that requires an ante or entry fee.

As Eartha stated, there are currently no guidelines around cointests so feel free to finish this one up.

We're not in a position right now to say how, or if, things will change in the future.

Yes, I thought of that after I posted...

As you asked in your post would this work, All they had to do was say I don't think you can . But as usual it's turned in to a nit picking . Being a newbie don't let them run you off or turn you sour on the froums. Their is a lot of good information and people in here. Good Luck USA 45

Edited by USA 45

Yes, he asked "would it work?"

Some stated that they'd have the coin in the mail right away or next week.

At that point, it became a cointest, prior to asking the people that run this website if it was permissable. Since geocoin cointests do not yet have guidelines, other than one previous thread I remember that was closed, because it involved a gambling site, we as moderators cannot answer the "will it be allowed?" question. The question should have been asked of the people that own the website, Groundspeak. Not asked of the moderators who are hear to keep posts in accordance with the written guidelines for the forums, and the community does not have the power to grant permission for the website.

So, when people offered to send coins right away, it became a cointest.

Previous cointests all took place right here in the forums using the forums, where everyone had a chance to enter and win, without putting up something to enter. So, yes, now we have to start thinking about guidelines for cointests, because of this geocoin guideline, which is in writing:

"Those choosing to participate in an exchange on this board take full responsibility for any consequences of that exchange. Groundspeak is in no way involved in the sale or trading of items on this board and will not be held responsible or liable in any way for quality issues, fraud or any default of transfer on the part of the buyer or seller."

"Seller" in this case, being "cointest holder".

So rather than make the OP have to pay for postage to return any coins already sent, we've stated he may finish this cointest. I do think that giving ALL the coins as the winnings, rather than keeping any, could eliminate this issue of "pay to play".

Hmmmmm this Is getting interesting. The coin I am sending (with the FULL understanding and anticipation that I will not see it again) is a cool little coin I won as a FTF prize (not requiring any trade) on a real bugger of a cache. Honestly, I had (secretly) hoped to get the OP as addicted to geocoins as most of the rest of us who hang around here are. I had not planned on "entering", but when it looked like it might drag out without enough interest to get 10 folks involved, I laughed and thought, "what the heck, it's only a little piece of metal and some lead-based paint", and figured I'd help the poor OP out with a coin. Now, I certainly wouldn't want to "mess up" what a fantastic thing we have here in the forums. Honestly, if this whole thing blows up and for whatever reason never goes to completion as the OP had planned, and the OP ends up keeping the coin I sent in, I'm completely Okay with that. I just hope everyone keeps a cool head about them. IF I do end up winning "the whole enchilada", ya'll will probably see 9 true cointests popping up all of a sudden :):wub::)

If I go to trade for something in a cache, there isn't any gamble to it at all, I pick what I want and leave what I want...AND, everyone else gets something if THEY want! Your "cointest" is a bit different and definitely gambling. You are asking the community to give you a coin to run a game in which they MIGHT win 9 coins (hence the gambling post).

I agree, this forum IS one big happy family (boy have I been shown that lately), coming in and doing giveaways and such, setting up coin swaps like the SS missions and such are GREAT ways to get to know everyone in the community without asking for something in return!

As was pointed out, we all do COINTESTS, those are great! I truly hope that this doesn't make GS re-evaluate our fun giveaways, if those stopped because of this, you might not be making as many friends as you'd hoped. If every newb decides to do this type of dealings, I'm not doubting things would change around here darned fast. PLEASE don't ruin a good thing!

I'm in no way trying to rain on your parade, but lets not confuse a cointest with this as a cointest is done freely and lovingly to GIVE. I'm not sure how this thread started as a newb question since the OP asks everyone to send a coin to participate, you keep one and the winner gets the rest. They are essentially paying you to compete for a prize. And how is this promoting geocaching?

Again, good luck, I hope this doesn't force change!

#1 the way this started out is {geocoin contest idea} not cointest!!!! This was a question, asking will this work. The responce was that many people wanted to praticipate, thus forcing the contest forward. #2 If this changes anthing at all, it will only make the guidelines clear that THIS kind of contest, or cointest as you would call it is not, permited. So if this forces definition of what a cointest is and what those peramiters are you should thank me. As I stated before, if anyone of Groundspeak does not want this to continue it will be taken away and will not happen again. I want the same thing you ALL do. That is to have fun and be a part of the community. I should not be looked down apon for asking a question, thats answers force the game into full play. Either way my feelings are not hurt. As this is just an Idea, not a personal hit tward me. Thanks for the imput. -mrbeachroach.