Joe the New Guy Wants a Fool Proof G P S

yogi154

Joe the New Guy Wants a Fool Proof G P S

Yes that right We are going to try Geocaching but my street gps won't work . So here's my question ? I want to walk in and buy a gps that can down load from the net . I want to walk in buy a model that has everything . Comes with the works ,don't want to look for up grades . I went to two stores and came out dummier than when I went in . Please help me sort this out .

Thank You for Your Help

Wayne

Yeah, there is no such thing. But go purchase a Garmin Vista HCx. Update the firmware. (Sorry there's no way around this and you will be frustrated by problems if you don't. This is a very minor operation.) If you can use your street GPS to navigate to the location, then you might not need any maps beyond the basemap. Otherwise, look the City Navigator maps in order to get detailed maps.

Thank You for Your Replys Another question what about the 76 CSX ?? Ok one more question

The Vista HCX or The 60 CSX or The 76 CSX

Does the software come with the gps or do you have to buy it seperately ??? and how much ???

I looked at the store today didn't have any of the above and The Salesperson didn't know squat about any

thing they were selling . I got the Deer in the Headlights look at two stores

I guess I'll keep looking

Thanks Again

Wayne

The 76CSx and the 60CSx are identical inside. They only differ as to the button layout and the fact that the 76 floats. So it would be personal preference. Also, in terms of function, all three units are very similar. They have slight differences but performance wise they are close. Again, it may depend upon what form factor feels best to you.

The maps are sold separately. If you search for City Navigator 2008, you will find the maps. Be sure you are looking at the full version and not the update version.

All joking aside, of course we all want the perfect GPS, but it is a fast changing technology. In some ways most units are ready to go out of the box, but they are limited by fixes and add-ons. Many come with a base map, but base maps are limited and not real accurate, but they are functional and will keep you happy for a while till you want more.

Though I have never used one, some units will except maps preinstalled on cards, so you just plug the card in and I guess you are ready to go. My mapping is on my computer and I download it to the unit in sections.

Probably the best unit you can get is a 60csx or a vista hcx and take a look into the preloaded cards which I believe Garmin sells. Plug that in and you are pretty much set just walking out of the store. Worry about updates later.

I believe this is what you want: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=8423&pvID=2586

Edited by EraSeek

Thanks Everyone for your Replys

I shopping for the 60 CSX I wondering if you buy the Extended Warranty ?

Thanks again Wayne

Service an out-of-warranty product

Garmin offers a complete factory overhaul of the models below. Select a product from the pull-down menu below to view the flat-rate repair charge. Rates include shipping and handling.

Note: Repairs have a 90 day warranty. If the unit sent in is still under its original warranty, then the new warranty is 90 days or to the end of the original one year warranty, depending upon which is longer.

GPSMAP 60CSx

Repair Rate:$175

Additional Notes:Prices include the latest software where applicable.

source: http://www8.garmin.com/support/outofwarranty.html

Up to you, I'd check the what was covered in that "Extended Warranty", if you dropped it and it broke or scratched the screen, you most likely will not be covered.