Question about paperless caching

reed78

I'm thinking of buying a PDA over the holidays. My main question is can I download the appropriate programs I will need and then transfer all info about the cache to the PDA without having actual internet access on the PDA? Will just a plain PDA without service be capable of receiving this information?

Thanks

Reed

You do not need internet access in order to paperlessly cache. Others can explain how but I know that much. One thing to think about is; PDA's are not meant for outdoor use and the chances of it getting ruined, lost, or damaged are relitivly large. I would suggest buying a very cheap used PDA off ebay or something lioke that for cacheing. That way if you do destroy it your out 20 or 30 bucks, not 200+. I have been caching for 2 years and I have lost 1 destroyed 1 and scrached 1 screen.

~.~Scare Force One

I'm thinking of buying a PDA over the holidays. My main question is can I download the appropriate programs I will need and then transfer all info about the cache to the PDA without having actual internet access on the PDA? Will just a plain PDA without service be capable of receiving this information?

Thanks

Reed

For either the Palm or PPC platform a popular choice is cachemate. Nice program that will display the cache listing in a manner similar to the online pages without any pictures or maps.

Premium members can run Pocket Queries and get details on up to 500 caches at a time that can be loaded to these devices and displayed.

There's also nothing more frustrating than having your palm go dead out on a caching run. I picked up a back-up on ebay for $20 incl. shipping. Cheap insurance with gas prices the way they are! I don't like to run all the way home when I'm out caching just to print out cache pages. This has saved me several times!

Cachemate on an older monochrome Palm, like the Palm m500, is an easy combination. Now, getting to know about Pocket Queries and GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) is a whole other thing . . . :ph34r:

Probably a stupid question, but is there a way to send the cache page files to a mobile phone that can store word and other text files etc on a mini sd card I have a new Samsung SGH-U608, but haven't been able to unravel how to use it fully, bu since it can store all sorts of media files and text files, can the cache pages be converted to a form which would read on the phone?