pdf question

g0t0pless

When I am on a cache listing, and I choose to make a pdf with the pdf button, the pdf file that's created is messed up.

My page prints horizontally on a vertical piece of paper. Since it's a pdf, I have no option to change the layout. However, I can change it in the pritner settings, but this only makes it worse.

To better explain what I mean, I see there's supposed to be 3 holes along the edge to identify where holes should be punched if you were using a binder. I can only see 2 of those holes, the bottom hole would be off the page. And I also have a ton of white space on the right side.

I can include an image of a printed page if someone needs it to see what I mean.

Edited by g0t0pless

Adobe Reader has an option to rotate 90°.

Have you tried that feature?

I don't recall seeing that. The only rotation options I saw were in the print preview area. There was also a "fit to page" or soemthing like that. It was no help either. I'll check if there is another option buried soemwhere to rotate the page.

I was having issues printing PDF files. Turns out it was the printer drivers and Adobe didn't get along.

Go figure.

Does this problem just happen with geocaching pdf's, or with any pdf?

This only happens with geocaching pdf's.

I got it to at least print portrait instead of landscape, but now the page is centered, and the bottom is cut off.

I really don't think its a driver issue, because no matter what settings I change, the page looks the same on screen.

There is no option to choose page orientation on screen.

This is for Adobe Reader version 8.1.1.

Any ideas? :wub:

I'm using Adobe Reader 7.0.5. When I say "print", the print dialog box has a checkbox to "auto-rotate and center". Look for that box. (I cannot imagine why Adobe would remove it, but OTOH releases 6 and 7 got steadily more cumbersome to use, so it's entirely believable that they have made release 8 even harder to use.)

I have not found the generated PDFs useful. For one thing, they force a page break when the first page is nowhere nearly full. If I'm printing them, this is either a waste of paper, or a waste of space which could be used to print more logs. (Hey, why can't they offer an option of how many PAGES of PDF I want?)

So instead I simply format the web page as I want -- all logs, hint and logs decrypted. Then I say Print. Set print options as I want. Ideally this is two-up (two logical pages on each physical page), duplex (double sided), four or eight pages. The first two depend on the printer driver and the physical printer, so I often have to compromise depending on where I am.

Best result is to use Docucom PDF Driver from pdfwizard.com and concatenate all the prints into a single PDF file. This results in the most compact result, since I'm not restricted to multiples of a sheet of paper per cache. Usually it's more trouble than it's worth though. And if you don't already have some kind of "print to PDF" software, there's money involved.

Edward

I tried the pdf link (I too generally don't use that feature) and the file that is created is fine in both Adobe Pro 6 and Adobe Reader 8. I use these tools on a daily basis and have always found that what I see on the screen is what I get when I send it to a printer.

g0t0pless, you indicated that the file is messed up when you print it. Are you also seeing this problem on the screen. If not, then you probably have a problem with your printer driver on your computer.

Edited by Hynr

I tried the pdf link (I too generally don't use that feature) and the file that is created is fine in both Adobre Pro 6 and Adobe Reader 8. I use these tools on a daily basis and have always found that what I see on the screen is what I get when I sent it to a printer.

g0t0pless, you indicated that the file is messed up when you print it. Are you also seeing this problem on the screen. If not, then you probably have a problem with your printer driver on your computer.

It is printed exactly as shown. That's the whole problem, it's messed up on the screen as well. For example, I can only see 2 of the 3-ring binder holes on the left side. The bottom one is chopped off, and none of the columns have bottoms to them. It's as if it's set to show on a 8 1/2" X 9" paper or something.

Funny thing is, I build computers as a side business, and this has me totally syumped.

Intriguing indeed.

I would guess that it is not related to the particular cache; but just in case, can you give us a GCcode of a cache where you see this issue.

Do you have a way to post a pdf file somewhere. I'd be happy to look at it with my installed Adobe products to see if it is the file or your installation.

Intriguing indeed.

I would guess that it is not related to the particular cache; but just in case, can you give us a GCcode of a cache where you see this issue.

Do you have a way to post a pdf file somewhere. I'd be happy to look at it with my installed Adobe products to see if it is the file or your installation.

I'll work on this tonight. I can host the pdf as weall as a screenshot of what it looks like on my screen. I'd love to get this fixed!!!!

I have the same issue as gotopless. The PDF that is created is 8.5 tall by 11 wide and cuts off detail longer than 8.5 inches (it doesn't go to the next page, it is not shown.).

Any suggestions?

At first I thought it was a printer driver issue. But I've since changed from a Konica Minolta Laser printer to an HP Laser printer, and now I have an HP business-class printer. The pdf looks identical no matter what printer driver is loaded.

Is this maybe a Windows Vista issue?

I've tried changed from portrait to landscape, and changing the paper setting, and even rotating the text in Adobe Reader's settings. Everything looks exactly the same no matter what.

I have exactly the same problem: no normal pages anymore!

And I think it cannot be linked to a browser, for if I download the PDF and save it on disk, and at a later stage open it (with acrobat reader) I still have that funny format!!!!

Can someone of the webmasters please have a look at it?

See as an example:

voorbeeldpdf.jpg

I don't get the fold here line. When I do that it over laps the gray holes which I assume mark where you are supposed to punch holes so that will fit in a two ring binder. I've never been good at origami. This is what I do. I use a three hole punch on the bottom of the page and place it sideways in a three hole binder.

I think this is a first for me (or maybe not). I am quoting myself.

That post is from another thread with asking the exact same thing you are asking except it is about 6 months older than your thread.

If you want to use the PDFs you have a couple of options.

• You can download the PDF using IE browser. Then fold it on the line that says FOLD ALONG LINE. Punch out the wholes and place in a notebook.
  • Download the PDF using the IE browser. Ignore the origami (folding). Three hole punch it like a normal page and then hold your notebook sideways when you view the pages.
  • Download the PDF using the Firefox browser. The PDF that is produced for the Firefox browser is a standard page without the fold line or whole punch markings.

I also like Cardinal Red's idea of going paperless if that is an option for you. I do it for time to time.

I have the same issue as gotopless. The PDF that is created is 8.5 tall by 11 wide and cuts off detail longer than 8.5 inches (it doesn't go to the next page, it is not shown.).

Any suggestions?

Anyone tried right clicking on the printer - go to "Printing Preferences" and choose how you want the print to come out in the Layout tab?

When I am on a cache listing, and I choose to make a pdf with the pdf button, the pdf file that's created is messed up.

My page prints horizontally on a vertical piece of paper. Since it's a pdf, I have no option to change the layout. However, I can change it in the pritner settings, but this only makes it worse.

To better explain what I mean, I see there's supposed to be 3 holes along the edge to identify where holes should be punched if you were using a binder. I can only see 2 of those holes, the bottom hole would be off the page. And I also have a ton of white space on the right side.

I can include an image of a printed page if someone needs it to see what I mean.

Also, you could click the "Simple Print" link and do a "File -> Print" and choose the PDF printer and set the Properties up to print anyway you want it to print.

But it's not a printer setting - it's the way the PDF is generated, since IE isn't passing a parameter properly.

I've tried every possible paper layout, orientation, margin setting, paper size, etc... for 3 different printers. The results are identical to the original image. Heck, I'm not even on the same computer anymore, and I still have this issue!!!

Being that several people are having this issue, I don't think its related to a browser, printer, layout, or anything like that.

I can't find the previous thread, but I remember it being mentioned that IE incorrectly replaces the "lt" parameter in the URL with the "<" character (HTML <), and this causes the site to display its default 2-up layout.

GS should remove or rename this parameter.

I can't find the previous thread, but I remember it being mentioned that IE incorrectly replaces the "lt" parameter in the URL with the "<" character (HTML <), and this causes the site to display its default 2-up layout.

How do you remove the parameter?

How do you remove the parameter?

You don't, Groundspeak has to do it - it's in the programming.

In a future release we're going to discontinue cache PDF's and improve the Print Friendly functionality to compensate. PDF's are just more trouble than they're worth, so we choose to spend our developer time in more productive ways.

While PDF's are still available, I would highly recommend using the Firefox browser in place of Internet Explorer. We will endeavor to have the full-featured Print Friendly option available as soon as possible for those of you who are resistant to changing browsers.

I agree with ao318 - Have recently changed from IE to Firefox, but prefer the way IE put it all onto landscape and on one page - so now to print have to revert back to IE to avoid having two pages for one cache - Is there any Firefox add-on known to fix this problem?

Have it printed on both sides of the paper. Most printers will do this even if manually. I download all the .pdf for a day to one folder. Then combine the seperate cache pages into one document. Check to see if any are longer than 2 pages long and either delete an almost blank pager or add a blank page so page 1 and 2 for each cache are together. Then set printer to print on both sides, come back turn the pages over and the back prints.

I agree with ao318 - Have recently changed from IE to Firefox, but prefer the way IE put it all onto landscape and on one page - so now to print have to revert back to IE to avoid having two pages for one cache - Is there any Firefox add-on known to fix this problem?

Open Print Preview, and you can adjust the print size to fit it to one page.

Firefox has a PDFdownload plugin that will let you save a web page as a PDF.

Does anyone know if there is a similar feature for IE? I actually found the pdf files useful, I could download them to my phone and not have to worry about printing anything. It would be great if I could do this again, now that they've discontinued the pdf downloads.