Ipod Touch Paperless Caching?

Hey i'm looking into getting a pocket pc or an ipod touch. My question is: Has anyone out there used an ipod touch for paperless caching?

I like the handyness of a pocket pc, but i also like music.

The only reason i'm hesitating buying a pocket pc is because they don't nearly have hard disk space as an ipod touch.

Kurtis

Hey i'm looking into getting a pocket pc or an ipod touch. My question is: Has anyone out there used an ipod touch for paperless caching?

I like the handyness of a pocket pc, but i also like music.

The only reason i'm hesitating buying a pocket pc is because they don't nearly have hard disk space as an ipod touch.

Kurtis

I have an ipod touch and I dont know how well it would be for caching. The fact that you have to be in a wifi area could be a problem. And if your really big into music the fact that the max you can get is 16GB is kind of limiting. Also you cant really download a whole lot of things unless you hack your ipod to let you download iPhone apps and third party software.

I'm not familiar with the iPod touch, but I have a 60gb video and it works great for paperless except two things

1) as of right now, it only holds about 300 caches. not a big deal but my GPS holds 500. I would like to have 500 on each, but hey its not a big deal

2) the iPod is not istantaneous. you have to frequently upload cache descriptions and such to it or you could be going after caches that hae been recently disabled. You just have to frequently upload new PQ's to it.

Not a big deal though. I like music too, so I'm more than happy with this set up rather than buying a PDA

That would be a very fragile unit for out on the trail. Much better to get a used ppc for something like $25-$35 on ebay. I have seen some Dell Axims for about that much. You don't need any hard drive space for caches as the onboared memory is more than enough. If you drop it in a mud puddle you wan't be as sad.

For music, carry whatever you want in a well padded, weather protective pocket. Don't get it out and it should stay a lot safer.

That would be a very fragile unit for out on the trail. Much better to get a used ppc for something like $25-$35 on ebay. I have seen some Dell Axims for about that much. You don't need any hard drive space for caches as the onboared memory is more than enough. If you drop it in a mud puddle you wan't be as sad.

For music, carry whatever you want in a well padded, weather protective pocket. Don't get it out and it should stay a lot safer.

that's funny. Here in AZ it works for me, though I rarely, if ever, hike across mud puddles etc. If I drop my iPod, I blow the dust off and keep moving.

I guess it also depends on your area

I'm not familiar with the iPod touch, but I have a 60gb video and it works great for paperless except two things

1) as of right now, it only holds about 300 caches. not a big deal but my GPS holds 500. I would like to have 500 on each, but hey its not a big deal

2) the iPod is not istantaneous. you have to frequently upload cache descriptions and such to it or you could be going after caches that hae been recently disabled. You just have to frequently upload new PQ's to it.

Not a big deal though. I like music too, so I'm more than happy with this set up rather than buying a PDA

I have a 30 gig video ipod. How do i get a pq onto it? This would be so awesome if i could figure it out!!!

I have a 30 gig video ipod. How do i get a pq onto it? This would be so awesome if i could figure it out!!!

go here.

that should lead you in the right direction. thats how i figured it out

I use an iPod nano to hold my tunes and caching notes at the same time. True, I can't edit the info, but it's very handy to have along!

I use a GSAK macro to load the cache notes onto the iPod. It's pretty easy to find, but I don't have the link to hand - sorry!

Yep, our Dell Axim was REALLY cheap, and we love it. We use cachemate on it. We can even cache with it with a GPS card and cachemate. Works awesome! We even have another Dell Axim that we bought at a junk store for $25 so when this one craps out, we can use that one. We would definitely rather take that out on the trail than our Ipod touch.

I personally use a iPhone and a Delorme PN-20 but my son has an iPod touch and if you prepare before you leave your wi-fi connection it works fine for holding the information about the caches. Obviously with no GPS there is no directional information available but the coordinates are there and the description, etc. so if you have a GPS that you cannot download cache data into it is a great resource.

Now that all being said he now has an iPhone and some $500 fancy smancy GPS and no longer uses the iPod for caching at all.

I use an app called Geosphere on my Touch. It's wonderful--like a mini-copy of GSAK right there in your hand. You can download gpx files straight from pocket queries, the website, or web-based email.

I don't use it for navigating the the caches, just for checking hints, past logs, cache descriptions, and making field notes (which the app can download right to your profile, ready for you to take them and write your logs when you're back in front of the computer).

Wonderful resource!

--Q

The iPod Touch with the Geocaching.com app is great for wireless caching. Having wi-fi isn't an issue - you download your PQs into it before you go. I bought the iPod Touch to replace my old Pocket PC, and it worked great. Now I have a GPS that does paperless so I don't need to use the iPod for caching anymore, but I'd still heartily recommend it over a Pocket PC.

Also, the additional apps that you can get for the iPod Touch are great.

The iPod Touch with the Geocaching.com app is great for wireless caching. Having wi-fi isn't an issue - you download your PQs into it before you go. I bought the iPod Touch to replace my old Pocket PC, and it worked great. Now I have a GPS that does paperless so I don't need to use the iPod for caching anymore, but I'd still heartily recommend it over a Pocket PC.

Also, the additional apps that you can get for the iPod Touch are great.

I used the gc.com app on my recent Baltic trip. It worked great. For local caching, it's not so convenient for me. The thing about the GC.com app is that to use it offline, you have to first download a PQ to it from GC.com. This is fine for standard PQs that you generate, but not that great if you prefer to combine and massage your PQs using GSAK. If you do this, you have to upload your GSAK GPX file to GC.com and then import it into the iTouch. The hitch is that GC.com only allows you to upload GPX files that are 500 caches or smaller.

I use my iphone to pick up descriptions and hints on the go (using the official Groundspeak application) but the accuracy of your location is hideous! HIDEOUS!! The feature to log your finds on the go is great too, nothing gets forgotten.

The iPod Touch doesn't have GPS.

I use my iphone to pick up descriptions and hints on the go (using the official Groundspeak application) but the accuracy of your location is hideous! HIDEOUS!! The feature to log your finds on the go is great too, nothing gets forgotten.

Geonerding doesn't own an iTouch. He was speaking about his iphone.

Yes, I realize that. The hideous accuracy of the iPhone GPS isn't an issue with the iPod Touch.

Yes, I realize that. The hideous accuracy of the iPhone GPS isn't an issue with the iPod Touch.

You are presenting the absence of a GPS chip as a feature?

I am a premium member and use an iPod touch for paperless caching. I use an otterbox case and short of full submersion it would be fine. I use the Groundspeak app which is pretty cool. I can create a pocket query of an area I am going and then download that using the app. Then I can view the most recent logs, description, hint, and additional waypoints with ease. It allows for even downloading map and photos too but that is a per cache basis. I think it is great. I use it with a cheap garmin etrex venture hc and together they work for me. One of these days I would like an all in one unit but can't justify the expense now.

You are presenting the absence of a GPS chip as a feature?

No, I'm saying that the hideous accuracy of the iPhone is not relevant to the iPod Touch, because it doesn't have GPS at all. Just trying not to confuse the person who is thinking of buying the iPod Touch.