Geocoin Dipping Mileage - Individual Statistics

Roaring_Fork

I have been tracking my caching miles by dipping a coin at each cache I visit. I am amazed at the number of miles I've traveled. Below are my statistics:

Total Coin Miles – 4171.3

Number of Caches Visited – 65

Longest Trip Between Consecutive Caches – 1667.2 miles from Watertown (South Dakota) to San Jose Del Cabo (Mexico).

What are your dipping stats?

Ps. What this really shows is the amount of money I've spend on gasoline and a airline ticket :anicute:

Ps. What this really shows is the amount of money I've spend on gasoline and a airline ticket :anicute:

Heh. That's what my wife told me ;-)

I dip my Rangefinder. The longest trip has been 60ish miles, visited at least 145 caches (that's the highest number I saw on the map... is there another way to tell without just counting?) and has 640ish miles on it. I've been carrying it since the end of September this year. Hoping to put a fair amount of miles on it this weekend, but guess that depends on whether it snows.

GSAK also produces a "Total cache-to-cache distance" stat. Very cool when wanting to determine the total distance covered while caching.

It would be nice if the GC website would show these stats similar to how they track TB/coins.

My stats were last updated on my 100th cache milestone. (111 caches if you include my hides) I've covered over 32,000+ miles. ;)

I've decided to collect geocoins that I like and purchase, and use them to document certain periods in my caching history. Unfortunatly I just got this idea now so I can't document my first 260 finds, or my recent move from California to Virginia. But I selected my Atlantis coin and I am using it to document all my finds while currently stationed at Naval Base Norfolk. When I'm reassigned, I'll put that coin back in my collection and use another one.

I've decided to collect geocoins that I like and purchase, and use them to document certain periods in my caching history. Unfortunatly I just got this idea now so I can't document my first 260 finds, or my recent move from California to Virginia. But I selected my Atlantis coin and I am using it to document all my finds while currently stationed at Naval Base Norfolk. When I'm reassigned, I'll put that coin back in my collection and use another one.

You could go back and post a new note on each of the 260 caches. Just mention it in the log and most cache owners wouldn't mind. You could even delete the note on the cache page. It would still show on the coins page.

Well, my coins would not have physically been there.....so don't know about that idea. It's ok though. Each coin will have a specific mission or time period or geographic area tied to it. The goal is not to get total caching distance, as I have that calculated through GSAK.

Nope. When I log the Retrieval, I immediately delete the log. This makes a cleaner view when I look at it in Google Earth. If I didn't, there'd be a point for each drop and retrieval.

Ahh. That makes perfect sense. Thanks! :laughing:

with the "visit" option you don't need to retrieve it

with the "visit" option you don't need to retrieve it

True, but when I am explaining the concept of back-logging I prefer to use the standard method of what actually occurred rather than 'visiting'. In the long run, I think it helps to understand the process.

If you are just dipping through each cache you visit, the visting option works just fine. Never used it myself.

Edited by BlueDeuce