Google Maps

n0wae

Google maps are such a fine tool for Geocaching. Not only do we get great maps but also satellite images to help us view GZ in all its detail. Now non-Ham licensed Geocachers can use Google maps to watch where their APRS Ham friends go via Google Maps. APRS use to be viewed exclusively by licensed Amateur Radio enthusiasts but is now open to everyone. It works similar to your GPS screen except that more than one icon (Mobil car/person) moves on the screen. Each "Ham" transmits his location apx every 3 minutes and Google Maps plots the transmitted "track points" on its maps for all to see!

It's great to see Geocaching and Ham Radio share common ground. I think it gives me a new idea for a future GeoHam cache!

Thanks for posting this. I wasn't aware that APRS viewing via Google Maps was possible. I now have a extra GPS I could use. This would be great for my wife to know where I am geocaching. I am in my 80s so wouldn't be doing anything I wouldn't want her to know about. Some of you younger studs probably wouldn't want everyone to know you stopped off at some strip joint.

Whats the latest rig available with everything in one package? Dick, W7WT