Great Garmin Service

4ster1

I have been lurking on this site for a few years and this is my first post.

Bought a GPSmap76CSx based largely on the information posted on this site. Lots of good and accurate information. Thank you to all who made the effort to post the information.

The back light on my 11 month old unit quit working. I called Garmin spoke to service representative in the US that spoke english. Got an RMA #, sent the unit to Kansas last Friday the replacement unit came today.

Thank you Garmin for great service.

I'll second that!

I was out caching along a creek with my 2 month old Vista HCx. Ground gave way and my HCx found a large rock screen first. Smashed.

Came home called in and asked what I needed to do to get is serviced. Nice guy on the phone felt bad for me and it was the first they had in for a repair (according to him).

He offered to fix it under warranty! I said they didn't need to do that it was my fault but he insisted.

Off it went. 7 days later I had a brand new unit from Garmin! Wow!

Customer for life.

BTW I have 3 buddies that now have them with a 4th putting one on their XMas list.

I have been wondering about Garmin's service myself as I have had enough of Magellan's lack of service. I am ready to swtich over. I was thinking though that there are a lot of posts with Garmin questions. Does this mean Garmins are not very user firendly? Do they have a lot of problems? Understand that I am not putting any company down; I just want to wrap my head around it. I have had a problem with my Magellan and never did get help from Magellan. I received the help from people right here like Embra and outside websites.

evshro

Just to jump on the bandwagon. I needed a mounting arm for my Streetpilot i3. Couldn't find it anywhere on the internet without buying a whole kit. I just needed 1 plastic piece. Called up garmin to see if I could order one from them. The rep told me I couldn't find the part anywhere because they don't sell it seperately. So what does he do. Sends me one for free with no shipping charge. Got it 3 days later.

Adding to the fray, I recently had a serious software problem with nRoute and MapSource which I couldn't fix and could not use. Had a technician spend over 2 hours on the phone fixing it. Surprisingly, it was a very pleasant experience simply because the guy was good and very friendly, as a bonus.

I'm sick of outsourcing (sic) and it is a real pleasure to get someone who speaks English without an accent and knows what he's doing.

Garmin is doing it right when it comes to customer service.

I have been wondering about Garmin's service myself as I have had enough of Magellan's lack of service. I am ready to swtich over. I was thinking though that there are a lot of posts with Garmin questions. Does this mean Garmins are not very user firendly? Do they have a lot of problems? Understand that I am not putting any company down; I just want to wrap my head around it. I have had a problem with my Magellan and never did get help from Magellan. I received the help from people right here like Embra and outside websites.

evshro

I think the reason that you see so many questions about Garmins is simply because they're more popular (they seem to be far more popular with the geocaching crowd, especially). Any time you have a larger user base, there tends to be more questions. Plus, a lot of questions are about doing "interesting things" with Garmins (i.e., custom maps, POI enhancements, etc.), so lots of questions doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. I'm a recent Vista HCx owner (I haven't used other brands or models much) and I don't have any complaints. It Just Works, which is simply what I'd expect.