60CSX...what map?

jallman

Looks like my computer crapped out on my when I posted this on my way out the door yesterday... I went the the sporting goods store and messed with the 60CSX and the Vista HCX and decided on the 60CSX. Now I need a map... I didn't find what I was looking for on Garmin's site nor in searching here (Althought I am new and don't know exactly what "key" words to use here). I'm getting the GPS primarily to GeoCache. I will be using it to find clients houses when they ask me to shoot on-site. That being said I want a map that can autoroute. I think the Topo maps would be neat but I thought I read somewhere that they do not autoroute. I guess I want City Navigator North America NT? I just wanted to get an opinion before dropping $80-100 on a map.

Thanks!!

Jason

Looks like my computer crapped out on my when I posted this on my way out the door yesterday... I went the the sporting goods store and messed with the 60CSX and the Vista HCX and decided on the 60CSX. Now I need a map... I didn't find what I was looking for on Garmin's site nor in searching here (Althought I am new and don't know exactly what "key" words to use here). I'm getting the GPS primarily to GeoCache. I will be using it to find clients houses when they ask me to shoot on-site. That being said I want a map that can autoroute. I think the Topo maps would be neat but I thought I read somewhere that they do not autoroute. I guess I want City Navigator North America NT? I just wanted to get an opinion before dropping $80-100 on a map.

Thanks!!

Jason

If you want autrouting City Navigator NT is most likely what you want. Metroguide is a little cheaper, and while it does not autoroute as received, there is third party software (Metrowizz) that will allow it to do so.

Thanks!!

Jason

If you want autrouting City Navigator NT is most likely what you want. Metroguide is a little cheaper, and while it does not autoroute as received, there is third party software (Metrowizz) that will allow it to do so.

From the same people but much easier to use is metrogold only $6..it changes Metroguide and allows you to download the routing data in on hit ..no messing saving files :anicute:

Dave

My goal would be not to have to use the computer to route? Is this possible. My Karate teacher has a garmin (it's a higher end one) and he can put the address right into the GPS and it calculates the route? I can't upgrade for a year or two so I want to get exactly what I want now.

Thanks again!

My goal would be not to have to use the computer to route? Is this possible. My Karate teacher has a garmin (it's a higher end one) and he can put the address right into the GPS and it calculates the route? I can't upgrade for a year or two so I want to get exactly what I want now.

Thanks again!

You can do that with the 60CSX and City Navigator NT (and Metroguide, after alteration).

Purchase a 2 gig memory card for your 60CSX. This will give you enough memory that with City Navigator NT you will be able to load maps for the whole country. This combination will work great for both geocaching and finding addresses. Once you start using it you will be surprised how many things you can use it for. Topo is nice when you are hiking since it will show you one the map which side of the creek the cache is on. I hate it when I hike all the way there only to find I am on the wrong side.

You can purchase Topo down the road and will be able to load both maps. Your only problem will be map segments. I believe there is a current limit of 2025 segments. City Navigator NT allows you to load more area using less segments so you will have more available for loading topo maps.

You can do that with the 60CSX and City Navigator NT (and Metroguide, after alteration).

I can second this, and say Go Metroguide! You can buy it used on eBay (or in the GPS Garage Sale forum) without worrying about unlock codes, use MetroWizzz (free) or MetroGold ($6) to add the routing info. With a 2 gig card, you can stick all of North America in there (caveat - MetroWizz is limited to 1GB transfers).