how far is too far?

GeoPirates2007

There is no such thing as too far, but if you want people to actually find it you want to keep it reasonably close together. Two parks in the same town should be OK. I had one that was about 7 miles from end to end and people seemed to enjoy it. It was mostly driving though. I've also done a multi that was a 6 mile hike from beginning to end and it is one of my all time favorites.

I've heard of some that span multiple states. Not something I'd be interested in, but somebody does them.

I just did one Horse Hill Multiple Choice that's about 4 miles. It would be much longer if you made the wrong choices along the way, but 4 is the minimum if you are good. Each of 6 parts has 4 choices to make so there were 24 waypoints on my GPS just for that adventure.

I have heard of a traditional cache that takes 3 days, you have to hike out, camp out a night, hike some more, find the cache, hike part way back, camp out and hike the rest of the way back to your car. Something like 15 miles or so in each direction I think. I know that sounds like it's doable faster but I've hiked 30 miles on the General Knox trail with my boyscout troop about 30 years ago and it was a real pain.

I'm currently trying to get some friends to come with me on a local puzzle, along with 4 or 5 other caches I need in that area; that will be a day of about 12 miles hiking. But that's just a as the crow flys estimate and includes 2 caches I've already done that most likely the people who come with me have not done yet.

um, corrected typo.

Edited by trainlove

There is a Multi here that takes cachers all over this very large county . . . It doesn't get found very often, but for those cachers who take on the challenge, it sure is fun. :D

I have two very long, multiple-cache Multis. The final for one is thirty miles from the first waypoint, but to log it, a cacher has to find thirty other caches . . . :) For the other one, the final is about ten miles from the first waypoint, but there are thirty different caches to find before logging a find on that one . . . :):D

I just completed a puzzle/multi. 5 stages. Stage 1 was about 2 blocks from my house. Stage 2 was 20 miles. Stage 3 was about 3 miles, stage 4 about 25 miles, and stage 5 was about 7 miles. Did it over 2 months, as it was a 5 star difficulty. A lot of fun, a very cool end, and lots of driving.

There is a Multi here that takes cachers all over this very large county . . . It doesn't get found very often, but for those cachers who take on the challenge, it sure is fun. :D

I have two very long, multiple-cache Multis. The final for one is thirty miles from the first waypoint, but to log it, a cacher has to find thirty other caches . . . :) For the other one, the final is about ten miles from the first waypoint, but there are thirty different caches to find before logging a find on that one . . . :):D

The various Delorme challenges are like this but sadly it's listed as a puzzle.

Luckily The Green Monster series in Massachusetts is listed as a multi. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC11Q6A

There is a multicache (old and new Philly) that starts in Philadelphia, PA and ends in New Philadelphia, OH. That's close to a 400 mile drive, but the hider allows people local to each location to work together as a team, where someone in PA finds the first stage, and emails the coords for the final to someone in OH.

I have found the final, and have plans to some day hopefully actually visit the first part, but with what gas costs nowadays...