GPSMap 60CSx or eTrex Visa HCx?

Team Chinook

So what is the difference between these two units?

eTrex is 2oz lighter and lists 25hr battery life (vs 18 for 60CSx)

eTrex resolution looks marginally better

unit dimensions are clearly different, screen sizes appear to be nearly same.

How's one choose one over the other?

Im planning on hiking, geocaching.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Team Chinook

The "Hands on Test." thread has lots of useful info, I have been meaning to upate soon.

My personal opinion is that the rocker switch and buttons on the 60CSx are very very badly designed. The rocker is spongy with no tactile feedback and the buttons are illogically placed.

The 60 Screen is also very dull compared to hcx. (ie at 100% it is as bright as the hcx on 20%)

The more I use the buttons on the 60CSx the more I dislike them compared to the HCx. The latest problem I've encountered is that Garmin forces one to use the left thumb on the rocker switch when it is more natural to use the right as this is a more dexterous digit. (hint, dexter=right)

Bear in mind that until the H series eTrex were released a few months ago the 60CSx was always the one to get due to the chipset.

My two cents: I have used a 60cX for many years to log trails and create custom maps, using the track feature. I bought a Vista HCx and returned it after one week of extensive side-by-side testing. The track accuracy is not as good as the 60cX. I really wanted the Vista to work as well. I liked everything about it: size, battery life, and screen are better than the 60c series. It just does not log tracks as accurately in my tests.

The "Hands on Test." thread has lots of useful info, I have been meaning to upate soon.

My personal opinion is that the rocker switch and buttons on the 60CSx are very very badly designed. The rocker is spongy with no tactile feedback and the buttons are illogically placed.

The 60 Screen is also very dull compared to hcx. (ie at 100% it is as bright as the hcx on 20%)

The more I use the buttons on the 60CSx the more I dislike them compared to the HCx. The latest problem I've encountered is that Garmin forces one to use the left thumb on the rocker switch when it is more natural to use the right as this is a more dexterous digit. (hint, dexter=right)

Bear in mind that until the H series eTrex were released a few months ago the 60CSx was always the one to get due to the chipset.

How can a 60CSX being "forcing" you to use your left thumb? The rocker pad is in the center of the GPS and can be used equally well, by either hand......I know, I've done it/do it.

I find the rocker pad and button placement to be excellent. Never had a problem using my 60CSX.

I can't speak about the screen difference as I moved up from the Legend to the 60CSX and have no complaints or issues.

How can a 60CSX being "forcing" you to use your left thumb? The rocker pad is in the center of the GPS and can be used equally well, by either hand......I know, I've done it/do it.

I find the rocker pad and button placement to be excellent. Never had a problem using my 60CSX.

I can't speak about the screen difference as I moved up from the Legend to the 60CSX and have no complaints or issues.

I'm assuming that users of the 60CSx use both hands to enter data with the rocker, one hand to manipulate the rocker and the other to manipulate the 'enter' button. Although I will concede that one has the choice to use the same thumb for the rocker and 'enter' button but that would be even worse.

Yes the rocker button is in a central position however the enter button is very close and to the lower right of the rocker. Meaning if you wish to use your right thumb on the rocker then your left thumb will be operating the 'enter' button to the lower left and the right thumb gets in the way.

In fact if one does prefer to use a digit on each hand to enter data then the unit cannot be held in an ergonomically comfortable position.

What's crazy about he 60CSx with all its buttons and larger size compared to the HCx is that it should be easier to operate but it isn't, it's different and some may prefer it but it is not better.

What's crazy about he 60CSx with all its buttons and larger size compared to the HCx is that it should be easier to operate but it isn't, it's different and some may prefer it but it is not better.

I think the button layout on the 60 series is better, but we could debate which device is better for us all week long. To get to the OP's original question, they will both perform about the same as a GPSr. You already stated the differences. Screen, Form Factor and battery life. You need to hold them both in your hands, see which one feels better, which one has a better screen for you and make your decision based on that. Best case scenario is for you to borrow one of each for a caching/Hiking trip. If after you try them both you still can't pick one go with the Vista, hard to argue with lighter and better battery life.

The one thing I can say is the 60 series looks more like a cell phone when I am being sneaky and putting it up to my ear when people stare at me.

Edited by sanramonhunter

I think the button layout on the 60 series is better, but we could debate which device is better for us all week long. To get to the OP's original question, they will both perform about the same as a GPSr. You already stated the differences. Screen, Form Factor and battery life. You need to hold them both in your hands, see which one feels better, which one has a better screen for you and make your decision based on that. Best case scenario is for you to borrow one of each for a caching/Hiking trip. If after you try them both you still can't pick one go with the Vista, hard to argue with lighter and better battery life.

The one thing I can say is the 60 series looks more like a cell phone when I am being sneaky and putting it up to my ear when people stare at me.

Ok..I just bought a 60CSx over the weekend and it should be here monday or tuesday. I'm very new to this and the reason I chose this particular one is b/c the person that demo'd geocaching to me at an expo used it, and for me it looked pretty straightforeward to use. Now I'm scared. I'm worried that I might not have purchased the best one for me and I'm wondering how much more it's going to cost me to get started, ie: maps. I'm impressed with the microSD cards that are loaded with maps, but I'm not sure which way to go...please help me if y'all can. I'd really appreciate it.

liz

Ok..I just bought a 60CSx over the weekend and it should be here monday or tuesday. I'm very new to this and the reason I chose this particular one is b/c the person that demo'd geocaching to me at an expo used it, and for me it looked pretty straightforeward to use. Now I'm scared. I'm worried that I might not have purchased the best one for me and I'm wondering how much more it's going to cost me to get started, ie: maps. I'm impressed with the microSD cards that are loaded with maps, but I'm not sure which way to go...please help me if y'all can. I'd really appreciate it.

liz

You don't need the maps to geocache, it just makes things easier. If you are doing urban caches and you know the area pretty well you could just print out the google maps near the cache and use the GPSr from there. And I've never loaded the Topo maps to my 60csx, and I do fine on the hiking caches. Although the more hiking caches I do the more I can see topo being handy. Not that I would be any more sucessful finding the cache, I just wouldn't be climbing up and down so many inclines to get there. I would go with the DVD version of the maps if you were to get them. That way 1.) you can, if you get them both, put both Topo and street maps on one 2 gb card and wouldn't have to switch out cards to change the maps your looking at. 2.)don't have to worry about losing the card if you do just get another one and load it with the maps.

Really, the only way to know if you purchased the best one for *you* is to try them both because as far as doing the job they are intended to do, they are both virtually equal.

If you like macho chunky stuff with a '10—4 good buddy' look, or you prefer cars with 'go faster' stripes and useless airfoils on them then the 60CSx is the go. If you prefer your devices to be compact and unobtrusive yet powerful then the HCx is the one.

But the important thing is they are both top units. I will be looking forward to the next gen 60's

Really, the only way to know if you purchased the best one for *you* is to try them both because as far as doing the job they are intended to do, they are both virtually equal.

If you like macho chunky stuff with a '10—4 good buddy' look, or you prefer cars with 'go faster' stripes and useless airfoils on them then the 60CSx is the go. If you prefer your devices to be compact and unobtrusive yet powerful then the HCx is the one.

But the important thing is they are both top units. I will be looking forward to the next gen 60's

Couldn't you be just a little bit more biased? :lol:

I actually had the 60CSx on my christmas list, to replace my greyscale vista. But I just love the feel of my vista, and the fact that it fits in my palm perfectly. I'm thinking of looking to get the Vista HCX instead, if only for it's size. I do think the 60csx looks tough and cool, but what I am more interested in is finding caches, and loking somewhat normal carrying the GPSr down the trail. teh 60csx stands out a bit too much.

That is the way I feel about my Vista HCx. It works great for finding caches and for auto-navigating and it fits comfortably in my hand while I am hiking. In town, it fits in a pocket when I don't have to look at the screen. The smaller Vista HCx is my preference, although others prefer the "cool" factor of the 60CSx. B)

8d074cf2-240b-4ee4-89b6-b30b44dd96d3.jpg

:lol:B):DB)B)

That is the way I feel about my Vista HCx. It works great for finding caches and for auto-navigating and it fits comfortably in my hand while I am hiking. In town, it fits in a pocket when I don't have to look at the screen. The smaller Vista HCx is my preference

Those are exactly the reasons that beteween the two my personal preference is for the eTrex form factor.

8d074cf2-240b-4ee4-89b6-b30b44dd96d3.jpg

I'm sure someone will suffer from "antenna envy" after seeing this. :lol:

Funny picture. Looks like garmin only forced 25% of the users to use the left hand. Of course he could be left handed. LOL.

My 60CSx came today and I love it...so far. coolness isn't a factor with me, I just want something rugged and reliable. We use the eTrax at the fire department and they're nice, but now I have everyone wanting this one. We took it out today and checked some of our mapping and this unit does an excellent job. I can't wait to use it on our first *hunt*. I'm trying to wait for the weekend so the kids can go with, but I'm not sure I can last that long. Thanks for everyone's input and help. I really appreciate it.

Liz