puzzles and paperless

rovers3

I have been paperless for a while now and have yet to figure a good way to keep track of and enter solved puzzle caches that I will look for in the future and have not found anything of help when I searched the forums. I use cachemate maccmconvert and a palm m515 pda and Explorist XL. Have also started using macccaching to transfer caches to the GPSr.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

I love puzzle caches, use a mac, and have a terrible system for keeping track of puzzle caches. Usually, I end up printing out the puzzle page, solving it, and writing the solved coordinates on the page. Then I manually update the coordinates when I go to look for the cache. The problem is I often lose the pages, and have to solve some puzzles two or even three times!

Probably the best way is to keep a spreadsheet just for your puzzle caches. That's what I plan to do, jsut haven't gotten around to it yet.

Don't know anything about Macs but I keep a seperate GSAK database of solved puzzles. Then, after I upload a new pocket query of unfond caches into GSAK, I copy all the records from the solved puzzles database into the unfound caches database which overwrites the fake coords with the (assumed) correct ones.

I have a PC, so I don't know if the way I do it will help . . . or not . . .

In GSAK I created a new database just for the Puzzle caches. If I get updated coordinates for them, I move them to the Default database, which is the one I load my GPSr from.

A friend who was really good at solving the Puzzle caches would print out the cache pages and put the pages in a large 3-ring notebook. All her notes and calculations and final coordinates were on the pages in that notebook.

Ugh. I don't! And the growing number of puzzle caches in my immediate area is a testimony to that.

I can't tell you how many times I leave the house, get about 10 miles down the road and realize I left the final coordinates for a puzzle at home!

When I'm on top of my game, I store the final coordinates for a solved puzzle in a memo on my Palm and enter them when I'm heading out to find a cache. It's not perfect, but it works.

I have been paperless for a while now and have yet to figure a good way to keep track of and enter solved puzzle caches that I will look for in the future and have not found anything of help when I searched the forums. I use cachemate maccmconvert and a palm m515 pda and Explorist XL. Have also started using macccaching to transfer caches to the GPSr.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

I keep a mapsource file with all the coords of the puzzles that I have solved. I update that file to add/remove puzzles as I find them or solve them. Then I dump non-puzzles from my PQ into that file and upload it to my GPS. Finally, I load my PDA will everything so I have the hints for each puzzle.

I have a pretty good system. A tiny bit cumbersome, but it works.

1. I do not pull and unknown/mystery caches with my normal weekly PQ.

2. I have another PQ that only pulls Unknown/Mystery caches (except those that are ignored) but I only use it to review those in my area. I don't run it to get the GPX file.

3. Any puzzles I have solved (including unknown/mysteries that are not puzzles) get put on my 'solved puzzles' bookmark (with the solution and solution method in the bookmark notes as a backup to the same info in my GSAK) and on my 'ignore lists'.

4. I then have a PQ I also run weekly built from that 'solved puzzles' bookmark.

5. I also have a book mark list for 'working puzzles' where i can keep all info on puzzles i am working on or codes I have to collect for bonus caches.

6. When I find a solved puzzle, I take it off the ignore list and out of the solved puzzle bookmark.

7. When I complete solving a puzzle, I take it out of the working list and move it to the solved list.

BTW - i also make a note in my ignore list of why a cache is there - solved puzzle, questionable status, can't do, etc..

This way, my solutions are backed up, I can pull a list of solved, working, or unsolved puzzles any time. Also, using the corrected coordinates feature of GSAK, I know the coords in my GPS and PDA are the finals because I never download unsolved puzzles.

I use GSAK and keep all my puzzle solutions, puzzle solving methods (including any urls etc I may have used to get the solution), multicache intermediate waypoints etc in the Notes section. I enter the solved coordinates/intermediate coords as corrected coordinates and place a 1 letter code in the user2 data column - the 1 letter code enables me to quickly identify whether the corrected coord is a solution, an intermediate waypoint, or final of a multi. The whole lot is then exported to my Palm at the same time as I send the waypoints to the gps so that I have full cache details to refer to, if required, whilst out in the field.

I don't use separate databases for puzzles. I find that with GSAK's filtering abilities I can quickly pull up anything I need.

Edited by BaldEd

Oh yeah. I forgot that part. Once I have everything in GSAK, I do, of course, export it all from there to my GPS and my PALM. I have had GSAK lose both the corrected coords and user notes so that is 1 reason I keep a solved puzzles bookmark list as a backup data store. The other reason being I can get the latest info and logs from the caches with the corresponding PQ only for my solved puzzles, not the ones I've yet to look at.

"I love puzzle caches, use a mac, and have a terrible system for keeping track of puzzle caches. Usually, I end up printing out the puzzle page, solving it, and writing the solved coordinates on the page. Then I manually update the coordinates when I go to look for the cache. The problem is I often lose the pages, and have to solve some puzzles two or even three times!"

This sounds like my method. I often come across puzzle cache pages that I have done and forgotten where I had placed them. I then need to redo the puzzle hoping I get the correct answer again and then find my original worksheets. Not as organized as I should be I guess. Also hate to have to email the cache owner to verify correct coordinates more than once.

In the same vane I also tend to misplace hints or clues from caches, that are needed for future caches.

I think the bookmark method may work for me, I'll give it a try Trying to stay away from PC and GSAK even though I have Parallels on my iMac.