GPS on Delta from US to Canada?

JennM

Hi all,

I'm going to Canada next week and plan to do some caching. My question is, do I pack my Etrex Legend in my carry-on, or checked luggage? Do I take the batteries out, or leave them in?

I've been to the TSA website and GPS devices aren't listed. I called the airline and the clerk said that if it's not listed as 'prohibited' then I should be fine. Of course I've had conflicting info from the airlines (2 answers from 2 people) regarding what identification documents I need too... so I'm asking here to see what others' experiences have been.

Thanks in advance!

Jenn

Should be fine as a carry on device but up to the crew whether or not you can power it up during flight.

That's what I figured. I have no need or intention to fire it up in flight... and I don't want it stolen out of my checked bag :) I suppose I should leave the batteries in it to power it up at security if they ask? I'm bringing my laptop, camera and other junk so I guess I'll just put them all in my laptop case, yes?

Jenn

Carry on is ok, but different airlines (and the different flight attendents for that matter) have different rules about GPS. I thought i was going to get kicked off the plane the first time i took it out, but my dad has used his multiple times (all within a few years).

It can't hurt to try....

Can't help you with Canada. I have carried my GPS on a flight to Panama. HO HUM. Never had to show it, never a question during the xray. Nada.

I did not declare it; however, another thread indicated that it might be wise to have proof that you bought it in the USA.

I WOULD NEVER PUT MY GPSr in checked baggage. Nor would I check my laptop, PDA, cell phone, etc.

Using the GPS on the aircraft varies by carrier, but you said that wasn't your concern.

Have a great trip.

Hmmm well I bought it 18 months ago on eBay... it's definitely not new and I doubt I have a receipt for it unless I can go that far back with Pay Pal to print one. I'm not so much worried about that - just having it taken away at check-in. I won't be using it on the plane - I just want to bring it with me.

Flying is such a pain these days... glad I don't do it often.

Jenn

I'd never put a GPSr in checked luggage. Lost luggage=lost GPSr. I always bring it onboard. I've flown on many airlines, many of which were international and never had a problem. About 50% of the time I use it during flight and have a few times been asked to turn it off. Delta does not allow the units to be turned on. United does--go figure?

Some airlines allow its use during flight and some not. But I've never heard of a problem with a GPSr being removed from carry on's at security check points or not allowed on board in carry on luggage.

Great fun to watch the moving map and check speed and altitude during flight.

Thank you! That's the info I was looking for. OK in checked baggage, not OK to use.. which is fine with me. I'd rather have it on me than have it vanish during flight... My Mom travels quite a bit and she's had things disappear from her checked baggage - destination and airline don't seem to matter.

Now I can't wait... one week from today I'm outta here! And the best part is, there's a cache hidden no more than 1500 feet from my Mom's house :) I've got a couple of travel bugs with me that have Canadian destinations... it doesn't get much better than that!

Jenn

I would encourage you to ask the flight attendants if you can turn it on in flight (or when electronic devices may be used, above 10,000 feet). The moving map and speed displays are fun to watch. I wouldn't trust the elevation display, though. I think some use air pressure to calculate elevation, and with cabin pressures it won't show the right altitude. On one flight mine showed an elevation of about 15,000 feet, even though we were clearly up around 35,000 feet.

I have asked several times if I could use my GPS, and have only been told no once (all on the same airline). The no time I had asked the captain, who said it was fine with him but that I should ask the flight attendants for a final ruling (they said no). Unless a FA has been specifically instructed to not allow GPS use, some may say anything that does not transmit is OK to use.

Edited by steve p

The inflight magazine, the airlines magazine, will have a list of dievices that you can use while in flight and those that are not. read it when you get on board alot of airlines will allow GPS once the airplane has reached cruising altitude. You'll need to be by a window and hold the GPS right up to the window.

Very interesting to watch the GPS map wile you fly.

Here we go....

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/inf...x.jsp#sometimes

Under "Devices you can sometimes use" it says GPS systems. I'd paste the passage but it won't let me copy/paste.

That settles it then :) Just can't use it during take off/landing. I should print that in case anybody gives me static!

I've requested a window seat (I get motion sickness - need that seat, plus I take Dramamine)... I have a window seat assigned for my return trip but no assignment for my outbound flight... hopefully I'm not bumped/overbooked!

Nothing like throwing a trip together at the last minute! I haven't had a vacation in 2 years and haven't been back home in 8 years! Woohoo!

Jenn

Jenn, I would like some have said take it with and keep the duracells in it cause TSA may want to fire it up. Ask the pilots tell them your a tech nerd. They will relate because they are too (I am a pilot and I am too). Just tell them exactly what you want to do. I did this pre 9-11 and they said heck yes and when we get to altitude we write down our groundspeed and altitude and you can check it against ours.They never delivered. I had my Garmin 76csx in my plane last week actully. have fun.

Jenn, I would like some have said take it with and keep the duracells in it cause TSA may want to fire it up. Ask the pilots tell them your a tech nerd. They will relate because they are too (I am a pilot and I am too). Just tell them exactly what you want to do. I did this pre 9-11 and they said heck yes and when we get to altitude we write down our groundspeed and altitude and you can check it against ours.They never delivered. I had my Garmin 76csx in my plane last week actully. have fun.

I guess I should read what I wrote before I send it huh. I sound drunk.

Hmmm well I bought it 18 months ago on eBay... it's definitely not new and I doubt I have a receipt for it unless I can go that far back with Pay Pal to print one. I'm not so much worried about that - just having it taken away at check-in. I won't be using it on the plane - I just want to bring it with me.

Flying is such a pain these days... glad I don't do it often.

Jenn

Do you carry reciepts for your camera, laptop, cd player, handheld game console, PDA?

I would encourage you to ask the flight attendants if you can turn it on in flight (or when electronic devices may be used, above 10,000 feet). The moving map and speed displays are fun to watch. I wouldn't trust the elevation display, though. I think some use air pressure to calculate elevation, and with cabin pressures it won't show the right altitude. On one flight mine showed an elevation of about 15,000 feet, even though we were clearly up around 35,000 feet.

I have asked several times if I could use my GPS, and have only been told no once (all on the same airline). The no time I had asked the captain, who said it was fine with him but that I should ask the flight attendants for a final ruling (they said no). Unless a FA has been specifically instructed to not allow GPS use, some may say anything that does not transmit is OK to use.

Make certain to ask about this at the same time you ask permission to use your laptop and cd player, the cabin crew will really appreciate that.

I took 4 Air Canada flights in the last month (round-trip to Mexico). On the first leg I asked the attendant, who said "no problem". So I didn't bother asking on the other 3 flights and just went ahead and used it. Nothing strange happened to the plane when I turned it on, and nobody said anything.

Yep, it's great fun, and the free maps and topos I got from MapCenter were very useful in Mexico.

Ah conflicting information...

Who has actually taken their GPS in a carry on on an international flight - preferably Delta from the US to Canada?

Jenn

I took mine on a flight from Vancouver to London, UK (Air Transat) . Asked the flight crew if I could power it up during the flight and they had no problems with it. Tracked our voyage all the way.

Also did the same on a flight from Paris to Edinburgh (British Airways).

HTH.

P.

If you take it in carry on, make sure you have batteries even if they're not in the unit. They'll definitely want you to turn it on. I had that happen with my CD player once.

Yes, do bring batteries. Although I think "definitely" evolved into "occasionally" over the last few years for the sake of efficiency. I went through security 4 times in the last month, each time with 3 electronic gadgets and lots of wires in my bag. Never had to turn anything on; I don't think they even backed up the conveyor for a second look.