GPSMAP 60 CSX/CX SIRF software 3.0

NewZealand

I had to go one step farther XXQQ on the updater page even after it said my gps had no new updates available before I got the version 3.0

Right, after the 1st check, it should ask if you want to check for other software updates (or something like that).

Edited by whitecrow

Hi,

just discovered that SIRF software 3.0 is available via web-updater (but still not in the Garmin manual download area).

Anybody here who knows what the enhancements are ?

Thx, NZ

Thanks for the heads-up. I updated my 60Cx to sirf software version 3.0 using Garmin's Macintosh WebUpdater 2.0.1. The sirf software was listed under "Additional Updates" as "GPS Chipset Type G."

The update was fast and uneventful.

Meanwhile I discovered at least one enhancement:

Here in Austria Egnos works now for the first time without a problem.

The CSX finds Egnos satellites and displays the other satellite bars with a "D".

This was never possible with version 2.90.

However, because it doesn't buy me anything, I just tried it out and saw it works, but turned it off again.

Just wanted to inform you.

Maybe there are also other enhancements, but there are still no release notes available.

Cheers, NZ

Just heard about this update a few moments ago, and installed it without any major problems on my 76CSx, although when the install was finished, the unit's clock was reset to 00:00 UTC April 1, 2007! :lol: I had to put the unit back into AutoLocate mode to get a fix on the satellites again and thus reset its clock back to the correct time.

Does anyone have a theory why this update is only available via the webupdater? The update pages for the units (60Cx and 60CSx) still show 2.90.

Garmin always releases updates via the webupdater well before they are available on their website, though I'm not sure why. It's been this way since I can remember, thats why every few weeks when I have my GPSr hooked to my pc I check for updates with the webupdater.

This was posted on another board.

"Thank you for contacting Garmin International,

The change log details between Chipset type G ver 2.90 and ver 3.00 are

as follows,

Changes made from version 2.90 to 3.00:

Changes to support manufacturing."

Based upon this message, it appears that the update does nothing for the consumer/user.

Darn, I was hoping for an Ipod interface.

Just Kidding as I don't have an Ipod. :rolleyes:

I remember reading a post that someone figured the 60CX and 60CSX shared identical hardware and just slightly different software. This is seen in other products such as cell phones and such. Could it be that the 60CX has the built in Baro/Alt but just hidden with different software?

Just Kidding as I don't have an Ipod. :ph34r:

I remember reading a post that someone figured the 60CX and 60CSX shared identical hardware and just slightly different software. This is seen in other products such as cell phones and such. Could it be that the 60CX has the built in Baro/Alt but just hidden with different software?

I doubt it, because the 60cx/60csx and 76cx/76csx all use the same unit software. I guess the best way to tell though would be to take apart two units and compare the guts of each.

Just Kidding as I don't have an Ipod. :ph34r:

I doubt it, because the 60cx/60csx and 76cx/76csx all use the same unit software. I guess the best way to tell though would be to take apart two units and compare the guts of each.

I'll try find some pic's of units opened up!

I was trying to hold off doing the upgrade till they posted what the fixes were, but I just couldn't wait. So I tried it. Went through the first part, no software update, went to second part "other", it showed no history change but a box to click for chipset G (or some such) with no number. If I had checked that and went on I probably would have gotten the update. I decided to hold off.

My theory is that they don't post the updates on the Garmin site till they find out if the early adapters hd any glitches.

My advise for a clean update (from past experience) is two-fold; Pull your card first so it doesn't try to write to the card and fry it, and second, keep an active browser up while doing the update (I had some issue with signing drivers a time or two during an update and doing this seemed to be the cure).

Rumor has it that this fixes the discrepancy between the odometer and the track log mileage, and elevation gain and loss. Only a rumor! so far.