Mapsource on the cheap?

travis71

I thought I had a good deal (free) for the maps on my new GPS, but alas, I did not. I would like to get something better than basemaps put on it, but need something extraordinarily cheapo!!!! Anyone have any suggestions for a place to buy mapsource stuff NIB but maybe a year or two old? Assuming "a year or two old" is better than basemaps.

thanks!

You can get older versions of Mapsource Topo on eBay because they don't have an Unlock Code. If you want auto-routing maps, you have to purchase those new. The Unlock code of City Navigator only allows you to install it to one GPS unit.

If you get an older version, you need to download the latest Mapsource update from the Garmin site.

I got the auto-routing maps in a combo package with the cigarette-lighter adapter and beanbag mount for a lot less than those things would have cost individually.

so when I purchase the maps & install them, how does the unlock code work??? Do I enter it in my GPS or in the unlcok tool? I am a little fuzzy on hw this unlock code actually works & how the software knows its only being installed to one device.

edit : And what is this software exactly???

http://cgi.ebay.com/Garmin-MapSource-US-TO...1QQcmdZViewItem

Is it topo maps from NA from last year? Just curious why it doesnt say TOPO 2007, or w/e (new one is TOPO 2008, etc) would hate to throw money at something that is useless.

Edited by travis71

Looks like an older version of Topo, which is what I have on my Garmin Vista HCx. If you get it, you'll want to update the Mapsource "shell" from the Garmin site. There is a lot more functionality in the newest version of Mapsource.

I'm not sure version 3.2 is "last year's maps" but Topo doesn't change that much. There aren't any street names on Topo maps. Before you purchase on eBay, do an "Advanced Search" to see what the items have been selling for. You might get that Topo for less.

The City Navigator maps have an "Unlock Tool" that unlocks the maps to your specific GPSr. You can put the maps on different computers, but only on one GPS unit.

With the topo maps, can they go on more than one GPS?

Looks like an older version of Topo, which is what I have on my Garmin Vista HCx. If you get it, you'll want to update the Mapsource "shell" from the Garmin site. There is a lot more functionality in the newest version of Mapsource.

I'm not sure version 3.2 is "last year's maps" but Topo doesn't change that much. There aren't any street names on Topo maps. Before you purchase on eBay, do an "Advanced Search" to see what the items have been selling for. You might get that Topo for less.

The City Navigator maps have an "Unlock Tool" that unlocks the maps to your specific GPSr. You can put the maps on different computers, but only on one GPS unit.