Florida Delorme Challenge

RosaBella

Hello all,

Does anyone know of a Florida DeLorme challenge or if one is in the works? I have now completed three (NC, SC & GA) and am trying to figure out which way is best for me to go for the next one... FL would be easiest for me to travel to...

Thanks

Edited by RosaBella

Florida has two County Challenges and a Florida Challenge Final.

A handful of out of state cachers have done either the North Florida Challenge Quest or the South, and I believe one Georgia couple has recently completed the Final. The south counties quest is a bit easier to finish, though it may involve as much or more driving distance, the counties in south Florida are large, and the number of finds for that cache is just 25. North Florida in roughly the same area has 45 counties, some with very few caches.

There is one now! GC5702R

Didn't realize until today that the Dry Tortugas weren't in the Florida Delorme atlas. (Or are they in an inset? I can't find a FL index page anywhere, justt going off the graphic on the cache page.)

Also didn't realize that 16,000,000 Bricks is finally gone. Matter of time, really, the owner hadn't been on in years. Glad we got the go ahead to put our earth caches out there so cachers can log a find or two out there. Not that the trip isn't worth it sans caches -- it definitely is. But it's nice to get credit for it, too. :anibad:

There is one now! GC5702R

Didn't realize until today that the Dry Tortugas weren't in the Florida Delorme atlas. (Or are they in an inset? I can't find a FL index page anywhere, justt going off the graphic on the cache page.)

Also didn't realize that 16,000,000 Bricks is finally gone. Matter of time, really, the owner hadn't been on in years. Glad we got the go ahead to put our earth caches out there so cachers can log a find or two out there. Not that the trip isn't worth it sans caches -- it definitely is. But it's nice to get credit for it, too. :anibad:

If there is a Florida DeLorme Challenge, how do we find information

on where to find the coordinates for each page? We have a 10th edition

Florida book which we are using for the Florida State Parks ORGT cache

game as well as the CCC (Civilian Conservation COrps) geocache game

in the 8 Fl state parks built by the CCC in the 1930's.

Any assistance in how to play the DeLorme game would be most welcome.

Bonnie Basham

marshridermagazine@gmail.com

If there is a Florida DeLorme Challenge, how do we find information

on where to find the coordinates for each page? We have a 10th edition

Florida book which we are using for the Florida State Parks ORGT cache

game as well as the CCC (Civilian Conservation COrps) geocache game

in the 8 Fl state parks built by the CCC in the 1930's.

Any assistance in how to play the DeLorme game would be most welcome.

Bonnie Basham

marshridermagazine@gmail.com

Using the book, you can check the website, see where the cache lies in relation to landmarks on the map, and then check the map page.

Or, each page should have boundary lines along the edges with coordinates. So, for example, if I look at page 37 of my New Mexico Delorme atlas, Gila Cliff Dwelling National Monument is just along the bottom edge. But the line at the bottom of the page is what really counts for Delorme purposes, and it is drawn along 33 14' 00", or N 33 14.000. Which means that Hot Springs will be just barely on page 37, but Trail of the Past is down on page 45.

There are also challenge checkers you can use with pocket queries and GSAK, but those are more designed to sort through caches you've found, not caches you haven't found.

Hope this helps.