Milestones

waterwitch2

Some people choose to celebrate every multiple of 50. I personally choose to make every multiple of 100 a big deal.

1st find Out on a Limb by Team Perks

100th find Governor Mine by GarminArmin

200th find Follow The Drinking Gourd by Team Perks

300th find Another Vista Point by GarminArmin

400th find Geo Tax, by Team Perks

500th find Antelope Valley Poppies & Pizza Event, by GarminArmin

600th find Burnt Offering, by Big Steve Maintained by Big Bad Trucker

700th find Scouting's Highest Honour - Mt. Baden-Powell, by showbizkid

800th find The Dragonfly Scroll by Snapplez

900th find Return to Scab Island by Snapplez

1000th find Are You Experienced? by Bmcilvoy, Coyote Clan & Jimi Hendrix

1100th find Throop Peak by Gone2Camp

We enjoy keeping track of our find count but we don't make any effort to have "milestone" finds. The most common practice seems to be to pay attention to every 100 finds, which we do, but we don't plan for some super-cool cache for a milestone find. We have had some wonderful finds that happened to be "milestones" and we have had some wonderful finds at other times as well. Having the find be your X00 find shouldn't really make it any more or less important. The value is in your memory.

Some people choose to celebrate every multiple of 50. I personally choose to make every multiple of 100 a big deal.

Same here. I post mine on my profile page and link the appropriate cache. The beauty of this game is that you can play in the manner that is the most fun for you personally.

#1 - the most important

And then celebrate every cache hunt that brought you a special memory because of who you were with or where the hunt took you. Remember the stories and the travels. The wet shoes, the stickers in your hair, that splash of mud on the fender. Whether number 100 or 129. Whether a find or a DNF. That's what it is all about.

Cool!!! For some reason, I thought the ones that were generally celebrated were (besides the obvious of #1), 100, 500, and 1000. After 1000, you were supposed to be too cool to mention any more benchmarks. You might even stop logging finds after that. With me being at 900-something, I was starting to get concerned! (Knowing that, I'm no longer at 900-something, but exactly 919 as of tonight.)

(Actually, I think milestones should be logarithmic.)

The big milestones for me were 1,000 trackables (2,178 now) and 100 individual events attended which I just got on Sunday. :wub:

I remember where I was for cache #100 & #200. The rest were a blur until #500 which was at GeoWoodstock 5. Corp of Discovery got a really nifty 500 Cache Achievement coin at the event and gave it to me. That was totally cool. :)

e58fe9b8-1782-425f-a460-6fe64d9ee83f.jpg

Corp of Discovery-Me-Team 360

Edited by Snoogans
The big milestones for me were 1,000 trackables (2,178 now) and 100 individual events attended which I just got on Sunday. :wub:

I remember where I was for cache #100 & #200. The rest were a blur until #500 which was at GeoWoodstock 5. Corp of Discovery got a really nifty 500 Cache Achievement coin at the event and gave it to me. That was totally cool. :)

Wow, I don't know where you cache, but moving an average of 4 trackables per cache is really awesome!

Edited by CoyoteRed

I was probably most psyched about 100 DNF and 100 FTF. Oddly, I kinda missed 100 finds - obviously there was a 100th find, but I wasn't paying much attention.

1000 finds was especially cool for us because of a fortuitous accident - we found the cache across the river from a live concert, and as we were walking away, spectacular fireworks started. We were on the same bank as the fireworks barge (I doubt they were expecting anyone to be there). Too near actually, we were getting red hot casings raining down. Beautiful, loud, exciting and a bit scary.

Edited by Isonzo Karst
The big milestones for me were 1,000 trackables (2,178 now) and 100 individual events attended which I just got on Sunday. :)

Wow, I don't know where you cache, but moving an average of 4 trackables per cache is really awesome!

I am the travel bug guy at events. Bring thy travelbugs unto ME at an event and I'll trade ya. :wub:

I am not worthy to calculate te merest perameters of MaxB's TB gravity. At 11,291 trackables moved, Warren & Maxine are Top Dawgs in TB stats. Last time I checked I was #35.

Edited by Snoogans

Me, I don't understand the fixation on base 10. Although I didn't go for a particularly special cache for it, I did celebrate my 256th find a few months ago (100 in hexadecimal, and the first of a new byte, which is not likely to ever happen again).

But really, people ought to celebrate cubes (8, 27, 64, 125, 216, 343,...). Starts out pretty easy, but gets difficult to accomplish very quickly.

Edited by Dinoprophet
Me, I don't understand the fixation on base 10.

I understand it, but it's not the only number fixation I enjoy.

I'm also fond of sequential numbers. For instance, when I had 123 hides, it took a while for me to get out number 124, because I liked that sequence.

I nearly stopped keeping track of FTF at 222, but then figured eventually there'd be 333, so I continued to maintain that list. :wub:

#1 of course is a big one. Then 50, 100, 150, 200, and every 100 after that. I originally thought of not including 150 as a milestone, but when I got that, it felt big to me, so I made it so. At this point, after 200, I think of just doing every 100 is sufficient.

And for every FTF, I think every one is great!

I am not worthy to calculate te merest perameters of MaxB's TB gravity. At 11,291 trackables moved, Warren & Maxine are Top Dawgs in TB stats. Last time I checked I was #35.

Those stats are pretty bogus with the practice of discovering geocoins. I know #3 on the list and they're primarily a geocoin discoverer.

Back on topic, I had fun with my 2000th find since it happened quite near my 5 year caching anniversary. I put more effort in my hide milestones though.

It's obviously a personal choice. I also think a lot of it has to do with how often you find caches. As some people have said, if you're regularly getting 50 in a weekend, it seems a bit silly to make a milestone out of every 50.

I think that if people want to, they should do smaller number increments, no matter how many they've found overall. I don't understand why people start making their milestones farthur apart, the more numbers they have, like going from every 50 to every 100 after hitting 1000, for instance. I find that arbitrary. I'm still caching just like I was 1000 caches ago, and I still celebrate my milestones for the same reason as I did back then. The total number of finds I have is meaningless to me in this aspect. I like to have something to look forward to, and to mark special moments in my life and with my friends and family.

Personally, I try and go by 50's, although I usually don't put as much significance on half century marks as I do on century marks. I'll make a note of it and try to get a nice cache, but century milestones I'll push a bit harder for and try to make more special. But now that I've slowed down significantly in my caching, I feel like a slow snail and I welcome each 50 milestone just as much because it took so long for me to get there.

I keep my milestones in a public bookmark. Some of them are odd numbers to celebrate, and I put down the significance in the notes.