Magellan Triton 1500 - Sending It Back

Step 1. Contact your credit card company and file a dispute on the charge for this purchase. Include a detailed explanation of your issue.

Step 2. Return the item. You'll probably have to eat the return postage.

Step 3. If the restocking charge appears on your credit card statement, dispute that one, too.

Let the vendor fight with the credit card company. If the circumstances are as you described, I rather suspect that the only thing you will pay for is the return shipping.

Also, make sure to send a note with copies of all your correspondence to the consumer fraud division of your state Attorney General's Office. If you received the product, any correspondence from the companies, or even an advertisement for the product through the U. S. Mail, send copies to the local postal inspector, too. If all of this proves to be willful and knowing or even negligent, these companies might have to answer to state and federal government officials, too.

I just had to read the Newegg policy on returns. That is one company I will never deal with. Using the newegg logic, if anything is wrong with an order it is the customers fault. I guess it they were selling board games, if you open the game and the box is empty they do not have to give you a refund because on the weg page they only have a photo of the box.

I haven't read the actual text of the policy, however, my first hand experience with NewEgg is that they have always stood behind the products they sell and have a generous return policy. For example, I purchased a CPU upgrade from the a couple of years ago. I ordered the wrong version of the processor opened the box, installed it into my PC only to discover that it would not work with my machine. Completely my fault. I called NewEgg and they had me return it and got me the correct part. My cost was an additional $15. Had I bought that from other places I would have had to eat a $250 CPU that I couldn't use.

I love how people are crucifying NewEgg based on one story from one customer. Not to dispute the veracity of the original poster but we only have her side of the story and even she claimed that she had not had problems with NewEgg in the past.

Step 1. Contact your credit card company and file a dispute on the charge for this purchase. Include a detailed explanation of your issue.

Step 2. Return the item. You'll probably have to eat the return postage.

Step 3. If the restocking charge appears on your credit card statement, dispute that one, too.

Let the vendor fight with the credit card company. If the circumstances are as you described, I rather suspect that the only thing you will pay for is the return shipping.

I was getting ready to post the same advice, as I had a problem with an online purchase once too and had similar issues.

Document everything, file a complaint after you send it back. Send all documentation along any pictures of the packing which supports your case. Also send your credit card company a copy of your shipping receipt showing how much you had to pay for their issue. In the end my credit card company even got my out-of-pocket return shipping charges back for me, they issued a FULL credit for the product PLUS the amount I was forced to pay to get the product back to the vendor. As my credit card company told me, any reputable company would have issued a call tag for UPS or FedEx to pick the product up. So in the end all I lost was my time and faith in the vendor & product.

Good luck, stand up to them and let us know how it goes. Remember, Credit Card companies have policies too, so newegg can't simply "hide" behind their own.

I haven't read the actual text of the policy, however, my first hand experience with NewEgg is that they have always stood behind the products they sell and have a generous return policy. For example, I purchased a CPU upgrade from the a couple of years ago. I ordered the wrong version of the processor opened the box, installed it into my PC only to discover that it would not work with my machine. Completely my fault. I called NewEgg and they had me return it and got me the correct part. My cost was an additional $15. Had I bought that from other places I would have had to eat a $250 CPU that I couldn't use.

I love how people are crucifying NewEgg based on one story from one customer. Not to dispute the veracity of the original poster but we only have her side of the story and even she claimed that she had not had problems with NewEgg in the past.

OK, then, here's NewEgg's return policy on a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx:

Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy

Return for refund within: non-refundable

Return for replacement within: 30 days

This is our Detailed Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy. Products that state "This item is covered by Newegg.com's Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy", or items labeled as “Non-refundable” (or similar labeling) must be returned to Newegg.com within 30 days of the invoice date for this policy to apply. Products covered by this return policy may only be returned for a replacement of the same item.

If you buy it and it's broken, you can get a new one within 30 days. If you buy it and don't like it, tough cookies. I can personally attest to this policy -- it's the one they use on laptops, too.

This is our Detailed Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy. Products that state "This item is covered by Newegg.com's Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy", or items labeled as "Non-refundable" (or similar labeling) must be returned to Newegg.com within 30 days of the invoice date for this policy to apply. Products covered by this return policy may only be returned for a replacement of the same item.

If you buy it and it's broken, you can get a new one within 30 days. If you buy it and don't like it, tough cookies. I can personally attest to this policy -- it's the one they use on laptops, too.

Thanks for posting Newegg's return policy. I've never bought from Newegg and after reading their return policy I know for sure I never will buy from them now. Having been a Contract Administrator, dealing with and writing contracts on a daily basis for many years, their return policy is very much one sided and is good for Newegg only.

It offers no real security to their customers, and when I read between the lines they might as well be telling me, we don't appreciate your business, so we aren't going to give you a fair Return Policy . First, it very loosely uses the word "Limited Non-Refundable" leaving a lot to their interpretation. Second, From what I see above, there is no refund of customer's payment for any reason what so ever unless they just decide to out of the goodness of their heart. Third, for what little value that may be left to their customers concerning their Return Policy, the 30 day clock starts ticking the day of Invoicing. The Invoice date has absolutely nothing to do with the day the item ships, or even later, the day you receive the item. Some companies have been known to charge the customer's credit card (invoice) the day the order is placed, only to find out later that the item is backordered and won't be deliverd for a few days or weeks. Oops, what happened to that nice (but misleading) 30 day Return Policy period. It never really exisited to start with, with any merit. At the very best, when everything goes like clock work, you will never have 30 days due to time in transit. Their Return Policy is very much to arbitrary.

Edited by eaparks

This is our Detailed Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy. Products that state "This item is covered by Newegg.com's Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy", or items labeled as "Non-refundable" (or similar labeling) must be returned to Newegg.com within 30 days of the invoice date for this policy to apply. Products covered by this return policy may only be returned for a replacement of the same item.

Thanks for posting Newegg's return policy. I've never bought from Newegg and after reading their return policy I know for sure I never will buy from them now. Having been a Contract Administrator, dealing with and writing contracts on a daily basis for many years, their return policy is very much one sided and is good for Newegg only.

It offers no real security to their customers, and when I read between the lines they might as well be telling me, we don't appreciate your business, so we aren't going to give you a fair Return Policy . First, it very loosely uses the word "Limited Non-Refundable" leaving a lot to their interpretation. Second, From what I see above, there is no refund of customer's payment for any reason what so ever unless they just decide to out of the goodness of their heart. Third, for what little value that may be left to their customers concerning their Return Policy, the 30 day clock starts ticking the day of Invoicing. The Invoice date has absolutely nothing to do with the day the item ships, or even later, the day you receive the item. Some companies have been known to charge the customer's credit card (invoice) the day the order is placed, only to find out later that the item is backordered and won't be deliverd for a few days or weeks. Oops, what happened to that nice (but misleading) 30 day Return Policy period. It never really exisited to start with, with any merit. At the very best, when everything goes like clock work, you will never have 30 days due to time in transit. Their Return Policy is very much to arbitrary.

Ditto that!

I guess maybe you can save a few bucks by buying from them but unless you somehow know in advance that you're going to be happy with the device, it's just not worth taking a chance on.

For the OP, i would fight them on this. Your order was missing parts and you should get all your money back, including S&H.

Hey jen can you double check on the "distance to waypoint" or "distance to end" that you mentioned was unavailable? According to the 2-500 manual that I downloaded you can select the data fields and choose other data types and those two features are listed as possible choices from the menu.

There are no pictures in the manual showing exactly those pieces of information however so I'd appreciate if you could check on that if you still have the unit with you.

Hey jen can you double check on the "distance to waypoint" or "distance to end" that you mentioned was unavailable? According to the 2-500 manual that I downloaded you can select the data fields and choose other data types and those two features are listed as possible choices from the menu.

There are no pictures in the manual showing exactly those pieces of information however so I'd appreciate if you could check on that if you still have the unit with you.

They were available on the 1500 that I just shipped back to Magellan for a replacement.

I ordered a Triton 500 from Dell on 11/11. The price seemed right at 237, it was to ship in 1-2 weeks according to their site, on other related sites, if you search for tritons it will tell you that Dell has them instock. but now when you go to their website it says 3-5 weeks. The triton 500 was to ship on 11/28, i recieved an e-mail stating that they were backordered and it would ship on 12/5. once again, backordered till 12/12. I have not heard of a release date for the triton 500's yet and from the posts on yahoo the 300 did come with the usb cable and from other sources i have read that the missing cable problem was only with the 1500's. so I feel good that everything will come with the rest. but BEWARE of DELL, they have been falsely advertising the Tritons as Instock. not on their main site but on sites that they link too. Triton Instock?!?!??

I ordered the NG Topo! state series for PA and Jersey, Recieved it in about a week, No Problem. Although i had to contact NG to get a update from then so the triton will connect to Topo! From looking at these maps, i have alot of questions.

1. if you can put levels 4 and 5 on the GPS, is there a way that you will be able to have 2 base maps, one when zoomed out and the other when zoomed in?

2. Will it be able to remove the roads overlay and just see the map, or will it be like exporting a map to a image file.

I downloaded Vantage Point and played with it alittle, i noticed the import map button.

3. can the NG maps be Imported from the GPS to Vantage Point and if they can, why can't we just export to vantage point instead of connecting the GPS directly to NG to download the maps?

I have tried to export to a SD card. Not Supported. Although i should be! and I had discovered that you can only load 100 quad maps at any time. i got a 2G sd Card to put all the maps on, but it looks as though if i want to put all the maps on i am going to have to break them up into a bunch of seperate files.

Another thing i have not seen anyone talk about was the Altimeter/Barometer functions on the 500's.

4. Is the Altimeter/Barometer functions going to be improved?

It would be nice to see something weather related on the main screen or an alert when there are sudden changes in barometric pressure. or maybe the ability to see the barometric pressure or altimeter on one of the nav. screens.

I have read were the tritons will also be compatible with the old mapsend software, is this true? can i use my old Merigold waypoints or tracks with this one?

and Finally, Does anyone know when these GPSr's will be released?

I have seen hints (so-to-speak) on e-bay, some sellers are saying 12/5, most are saying 12/14. other places have a Mid-December. but we have all heard that before!

Edited by subsystem

From looking at these maps, i have alot of questions. lot of questions, but I'll give some a shot

1. if you can put levels 4 and 5 on the GPS, is there a way that you will be able to have 2 base maps, one when zoomed out and the other when zoomed in? the explorists work that way now, kind of. from what I understand, it uses the basemap at some levels of zoom, and the detailed maps as you zoom in.

2. Will it be able to remove the roads overlay and just see the map, or will it be like exporting a map to a image file. their previous software was similar to an image file...

I downloaded Vantage Point and played with it alittle, i noticed the import map button.

3. can the NG maps be Imported from the GPS to Vantage Point and if they can, why can't we just export to vantage point instead of connecting the GPS directly to NG to download the maps? part a. yes, part b. because...

I have tried to export to a SD card. Not Supported. Although i should be! and I had discovered that you can only load 100 quad maps at any time. i got a 2G sd Card to put all the maps on, but it looks as though if i want to put all the maps on i am going to have to break them up into a bunch of seperate files.

Another thing i have not seen anyone talk about was the Altimeter/Barometer functions on the 500's.

4. Is the Altimeter/Barometer functions going to be improved?

It would be nice to see something weather related on the main screen or an alert when there are sudden changes in barometric pressure. or maybe the ability to see the barometric pressure or altimeter on one of the nav. screens.

I have read were the tritons will also be compatible with the old mapsend software, is this true? can i use my old Merigold waypoints or tracks with this one?

and Finally, Does anyone know when these GPSr's will be released? sounds like a question for Magellan

I have seen hints (so-to-speak) on e-bay, some sellers are saying 12/5, most are saying 12/14. other places have a Mid-December. but we have all heard that before!

Has anyone actually tried calling Magellan???

I would thing that being that you can have several sets of maps on the explorist SD card you should be able to have several maps on the SD card for the tritons.

On another note

I just off the phone with Magellan about problems I was having downloading VP.

I did ask when the tritons would be shipped to the dealers. Thet said the units that had been sent were returned to Magellan. They will not be resent to the dealers for 3-4 weeks, I guess that means the first of second week of Jan.

No I did not ask about how many maps can be loaded on the the SD cards

You can put as many map on SD card as you like. The only problem that if you have 100 maps on SD card, it'll take a quite long time to scroll through all of them to find one that you want to load.

Also Tritons do not have any limit on map image size. But i personally never saw a map image larger than 1.5GB and that image worked fine.

And one more good perk is that Tritons support SDHC (SD cards larger than 2GB) so you can get really big one and put there all US Topo and NG at the same time.

The only problem that if you have 100 maps on SD card, it'll take a quite long time to scroll through all of them to find one that you want to load.

Well I have about three maps on my Explorist 500, All of those are the maps I have needed so far.

I only add maps when I am going to going to an area that is not covered on my current map.

When I went to S. Cal. I added that map, when I sent to Las vegas I added that map etc. It takes me maybe two minutes to change maps. I really do not see a need to have 100 maps on a card. Most geocachers do not travel to far from home to go geocaching and in most cases will be able to get by with one map. You can always delete a map when you not longer need it.

Also Tritons do not have any limit on map image size. But i personally never saw a map image larger than 1.5GB and that image worked fine.

and how, exactly, do you know this???

you should just change your name to Magellan rep now, and save the embarrassment later...

I just had to read the Newegg policy on returns. That is one company I will never deal with. Using the newegg logic, if anything is wrong with an order it is the customers fault. I guess it they were selling board games, if you open the game and the box is empty they do not have to give you a refund because on the weg page they only have a photo of the box.

I would NEVER buy from NewEgg. Actually, now I can't. I bought a pentium 4 processor from them (socket 478). It was DOA, and obviously a "pull", when it was supposed to be new. I sent it back (my expense), and they shipped me another. It looked new, but was also DOA. I had it tested by the company that does my Job's IT stuff. I tried to ship it back for a refund. They refused to refund my money, and were going to charge me a 15% restocking fee on a DEAD CHIP (so they could sell it to another sucker?). Their return policy says seven days on CPUs... and it took 5 to get from CA by USPS. NewEgg claimed that despite having to get one replacement for a DOA chip, since my original order was more than seven days old, they would not refund my money. I could only get the EXACT item, or store credit. I was furious.

Can you say CHARGEBACK? Thank you, VISA. I got my full refund after all. Of course, NewEgg sent me a letter saying I'm not allowed to buy from them any more. That's okay...I dont want to.

If by USPS you mean the United States Postal Service you have Newegg over a barrel. Any company that ships products throught the post office is required to offer a full refund if there is a problem with the item, even if you just do like the item they have to offer a refund. If they do not give a full refund it is called Mail Fraud-report them to your local post master.

You should also contact the FTC and if you paid with a credit card you should have you Credit Card company with hold the payment.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I can't believe that Magellan had the original release date set as mid-Sept, and they don't have cables?!?

Perhaps, when they were reloading the firmware on to the units, ten minutes before shipping them, they found it easier to leave out the cables, manuals, and other stuff. :)

No, the original release date was August 17 which was on the Magellan site before then.

I got a 1500 for my boyfriend, and was pretty concerend after reading this thread. Then I talked to someone at Magellen who was very apologetic (seemed sincere) and said he will send me a new unit (complete, this time). They are paying for the return shipping on the first one. Sounds good...we'll see what happens.

So I initially thought that a Triton 1500 was an awesome Christmas present, but after finding no USB cable and CDs in the box, and then reading this thread I am now really scared. It was purchased from RadioShack.com, and they are supposed to be calling us back with information on what to do to get the missing pieces. Now I am worried that I should just be demanding my money back?? Has anyone had their missing pieces replaced by eitherMagellan or the place of purchase yet?

So I initially thought that a Triton 1500 was an awesome Christmas present, but after finding no USB cable and CDs in the box, and then reading this thread I am now really scared. It was purchased from RadioShack.com, and they are supposed to be calling us back with information on what to do to get the missing pieces. Now I am worried that I should just be demanding my money back?? Has anyone had their missing pieces replaced by eitherMagellan or the place of purchase yet?

Yes, Magellan contacted me and replaced the unit - they sent me a brand new one with everything (cables, CDs, etc.) included. Apparently their fulfillment house goofed up and sent some units out before they were ready and without all the accessories. Hopefully they'll change fulfillment houses or institute stronger controls so this doesn't happen again. At the same time, I do respect them for addressing the problem and replacing the units; people (and companies) make mistakes...it's how they handle it that matters in the end. Definitely follow up with the webmaster here for the Magellan contact info, and let us know how it goes! :)