Should we spill the beans

andreagl

When looking for caches in public places there can often be people around. As much as you try and be descrete, I often wonder whether to tell people what we are doing when they ask or tey to make up some believable excuse. Maybe they would like to give it a try. Should we spread the word or try a bit harder to be descrete :D

In general, I try to stay away from such caches.

However, when I do them, I try to asses the situation as best as I can. If I think total truth will place the cache in danger, I give some excuse. If I think it will be ok, I am very open about it. Always 100% honest with LEOs.

I have found that it is often better to boldy and confidently go retrieve the cache and replace it (act like you belong there and know what you are doing and aren't doing anything wrong [mostly because you aren't]). Sneaking around just attracts undue attention.

As much as you try and be descrete, I often wonder whether to tell people what we are doing when they ask or tey to make up some believable excuse.

The truth is always easier to prove, and much easier to back up.

In these days of heightened security, just tell 'em what you're up to.

Honesty is the best policy.

Advice from my very wise father: Always tell the truth, but you do not always have to tell the whole truth.

Sometimes I'll say 'geocaching' if asked, but usually I'll just say "I'm looking for something" to the casual onlooker muggle.

I'll always be completely honest and upfront with LEO's.

As an aside-I find if you just act like aren't doing anything wrong, then people don't think you are doing anything wrong.

Last weekend, I got caught red-handed (box open, log book and swag out, etc.) by a muggle. The cache is right along a trail, and this guy, about 50 was just out for an evening hike. I explained geocaching to him, and showed him my explorist and how it works. He thought it was all pretty cool, and walked back out to the parking lot with me. Who knows, maybe we'll have a new member soon....

It depends on how old they are. Young punks out looking for trouble i give them some BS story. A responsible looking adult i tell them the truth.

I usually tell them I lost my pet rattlesnakes and they usually clear out.

:huh:

or I just double post and they leave.

;)

Edited by tabulator32

It all depends on the immediate situation, but 90% of the time I just let them know what I am up to. Some folks get that glazed over look and some get real interested.

Yep, and many appear that they would have no interest in spoiling the game by coming back and removing the container.

I try my darndest not to be in a position that would require me to explain my actions. That being said, my favorite caches are urban, so I'm often around other people. Most people, of course, are happy if they are ignored or merely given a pleasant greeting (if caching in the South). I make every attempt to make the find and replace the cache without anyone realizing what I'm doing, so further conversation is very rare. On those extremely rare situations when someone does ask me what I'm doing, I give a very brief, truthful, non-answer.

I've never actually been asked what I was doing by a LEO, but if I wee, I would give them a truthful response. I might not give them an absolutely complete description of the game, however. It depends on the circumstances.

It depends for me, too. Sometimes I pretend I dropped something. Sometimes I just tell them what I'm doing.

This CAN happen out in the sticks! So for those of you who say "I stay away from these types of caches," let me tell you a little story. More than a year ago I had mountain biked out to check out a cache that had long been on my list. When I arrived at the spot (a great lookout along a curve in the trail) there was a muggle sitting less than 5 feet from the cache, apparently enjoying his lunch.

Well, I'd gone all that way, and I didn't want to leave it behind. And I'd ridden right up and stopped before I realized he was a permanent fixture. So, a conversation ensued. He seemed like a pretty nice guy, so finally I asked, "Can you keep a secret?" Probably freaked him out. Well, he couldn't believe his eyes when I pulled a one-gallon container out of the bushes, full of all kinds of great stuff.

He immediately picked up the game and is now one of our most active and helpful cachers in the area, quick to help maintain caches (his or not), organizing events, encouraging those who may be burning out, and newbies as well.

Of course, when a sheriff caught me looking in the bushes near a rural road, I had to share. I'm just not that into lying to law enforcement. (He's a cacher now, too.)

It depends for me, too. Sometimes I pretend I dropped something. Sometimes I just tell them what I'm doing.

This CAN happen out in the sticks! So for those of you who say "I stay away from these types of caches," let me tell you a little story. More than a year ago I had mountain biked out to check out a cache that had long been on my list. When I arrived at the spot (a great lookout along a curve in the trail) there was a muggle sitting less than 5 feet from the cache, apparently enjoying his lunch.

Well, I'd gone all that way, and I didn't want to leave it behind. And I'd ridden right up and stopped before I realized he was a permanent fixture. So, a conversation ensued. He seemed like a pretty nice guy, so finally I asked, "Can you keep a secret?" Probably freaked him out. Well, he couldn't believe his eyes when I pulled a one-gallon container out of the bushes, full of all kinds of great stuff.

I had a very similar situation. I had driven many miles and walked over a mile to find a cache, only to find a college student sitting on the geobeacon that I needed to search, reading a book and eating a sandwich. I had no other nearby caches to go to while waiting him out, so I finally decided on the direct approach. I walked up and said, "Excuse me, but I think that you may be sitting on something that I'm looking for". You should have seen the look on his face! LOL! I explained, and he thought it was extremely cool, and he helped me look for (and find) the cache. I don't know if he ever started caching on his own, but he said before I left that he was going to check it out. At the very least, I'm sure it made his day!

Edited by knowschad

I've found that in non-rural settings, wearing a hardhat and safety vest can often afford you quite a bit of leeway while searching. I work for a construction company, so these items are easily accessible for me, but I'm sure anyone could pick them up at a local contractor's supply store. Just do whatever you do with confidence, and no one will ask any questions.

In the instances where I'm not wearing the "official garb" and get approached by a muggle, I have explained that I'm part of a group conducting experiments using GPS receivers and billion-dollar satellites. I've never been asked for more details.