noob question on overnight hiking gear

travis71

I am pretty new to the extended hiking realm. Meaning that until the past couple of months my hiking has been relatively short jaunts in local areas... nothing more than a couple of miles. I have been trying to extend my hikes to 6 + miles, & before the weather went cold accomplished a ~ 10 mile hike (if you have a myspace acct & care to see pics you can check em out at www.myspace.com\traviso71, have to be a friend to see the pics though :/ ) with diverse terrain, & temperature. I am not really into camping, but the prospect of missing out on some of the great local trails in the Monongahela State Forest because I dont want to camp is grating on me... So the idea of taking the plunge into purchasing some gear has started to grow on me... but I really cant afford it. I am not a DIY guy, so making my own bag, pack etc is not somethign I can do... and I dont believe in buying something from wal mart right now, to tide me over until I can get the better thing a few months down the road.

My current trail pack is a Camelback Rim Runner (http://images.rei.com/media/923782.jpg) it is a large pack, but I dont think its big enough for an overnighter. (I could be wrong which is one of the reasons I am posting here) What sort of pack do you all recommend for a night or two on the trail???

Also what sort of sleeping bag?

What sort of tent?

Those are the 3 essentials that I can think of off the top of my head... Other than water filtration & something to cook over. The bag I was looking at was the Big Agnes bags... they seem to be really nice, but I am a big man.... For the tent I was considering one of the package deals from ENO. They seem nice & light(ish). But I have not weighed the benefits of a tent vs a hammock system much.

http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/one...amp;Action=ADPR

but honestly, as with any hobby, the prices of all of these things are pretty prohibitive for me. I do not have much in the way of disposable income.... So I wanted to test the waters to see what you guys use... Have people who care to give me their opinions on packs, bags, tents, hammocks, or w/e.

Thanks,

Trav

What sort of pack do you all recommend for a night or two on the trail???

Also what sort of sleeping bag?

What sort of tent?

Those are the 3 essentials that I can think of off the top of my head... Other than water filtration & something to cook over. The bag I was looking at was the Big Agnes bags... they seem to be really nice, but I am a big man.... For the tent I was considering one of the package deals from ENO. They seem nice & light(ish). But I have not weighed the benefits of a tent vs a hammock system much.

http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/one...amp;Action=ADPR

Trav

Hey Trav,

I'm in the same boat. Ready for an overnight and no clue except what I've read. Ive kept the pack and bag around a hundred dollars, and the tent under 200. Ive already got first aid, compass, gps, multi-tool, water filter, firestarter, and other incidentals. Here is the gear I am looking at:

Big Agnes Seedhouse 1 Tent (One person tent under 4lbs... )

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Agnes-Seedhouse-...0854&sr=8-7

Granite Virga 3200 cubic inch pack (Just over 1 lb! but like you, not sure if it will be big enough)

http://www.amazon.com/Granite-Gear-Virga-U...1151&sr=8-1

Mountain Hardwear "Flip 25/40" (just under 2lbs)

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/bagdetail.cfm/MTH206

I plan on throwing in a Big Agnes air pad (just over a pound) and the following stove and pot (basically free) and weighting just ounces:

http://zenstoves.net/SimplifiedZenStove.htm

Only the stove is DIY, and I've found a modified version that is even EASIER to make.

My whole pack, without food and water, should be between 12 and 13 pounds.

Now all I have to do is convince the wife that I will be ok on the AT for a night or two alone this summer OR find someone to go with-- not easy for a middle aged bloke with no backpacker friends.

- 2b

Edited by 2brnot2b

For a night or two on the trail you'll want a pack that holds around 3,000 - 4,500 ci (your Rimrunner only holds 2,000ci). You don't want to go too small because then you start attaching things to the outside and that throws off your center of gravity. If you go too big however you either tend to fill the pack up with unnecessary things, or if you only have it partially full, items inside are prone to moving around, so again you have issues affecting your center of gravity

There are two basic kinds of packs, internal and external frame packs. External frame packs, as their name implies, have a rigid frame and the pack is attached to it. These are the packs most people think of when they think of backpacks. They have a number of advantages. First they are fairly inexpensive. You can get a decent one for under $150. They also handle very heavy loads well and they ride away from the body, providing air circulation between the pack bag and your body. The disadvantages are that they are stiff and because they ride away from the body they can swing you around a bit if you are climbing. They also allow for less freedom of movement.

A second type is the internal frame pack. These have a pack bag with an internal frame, usually made of flexible materials like plastic or aluminum. They ride close to your body aiding your balance when walking and provide good freedom of movement. They tend to be more expensive, with a low end pack running around $150 and going up to nearly $400. Being that the frame isn't rigid, you also need to pack them carefully paying close attention to how it is loaded.

In short, the external frame packs are best for carrying heavy loads over flat, well groomed trails. Internal frame packs are best for trails that require some climbing and rock hopping.

Getting a pack from a quality reputable manufacturer is important. I've been on trips where people with cheapie packs had one fail and it's not fun trying to rig up some sort of mechanism so they could complete the trip.

Some reputable pack makers are Marmot, Kelty, Gregory, Arc'teryx, Jack Wolfskin, Mountainsmith, Lowe and Osprey. Also retailers like LL Bean and REI sell quality packs with their brand on them.

The best thing to do is go to a good outdoor store like REI or EMS and check out the various features that packs have to offer and see what you like. Some features that I look for are a removable lid that converts to a fanny pack, internal sleeve for a hydration bladder, plenty of pockets for organizing gear and a front "shovel pocket" to stow wet gear.

Check www.sierratradingpost.com for some good deals on packs and other camping equipment. Also REI-Outlet.

For a tent, if it's just you and and you don't want to spend a lot, here are a few suggestions:

Mountain Hardwear Sprite

Sierra Designs Light Year

For a tent, unless you are doing winter camping, a 3 season tent is what you are looking for. For backpacking you really don't want to go over about 4 lbs a person (i.e. max for a 2 person tent will be 8 lbs, 4 lbs for a solo), but the lighter the better.

Many people prefer free standing tents, meaning that they don't need staked down for the tent to stay up. They do tend to be a bit heavier than non free standing tents because they usually need an extra pole and they still have to be staked down so they don't blow away, so the benefits of a free standing tent are marginal.

Some good tent makers are Marmot, Sierra Designs, Walrus, Mountain Hardwear, Big Agnes, Kelty, Bibler and MSR. Stay away from single wall tents unless you are going to be backpacking in the desert . Wenzel, Euereka and Coleman are also popular tent makers but their stuff tends to be on the heavier side and more for car camping than backpacking.

For stove info check out the threads here on backpacking stoves.

There are many good sleeping bags out there. You need to go as light as possible though. Don't buy a 0 degree bag if you aren't going to camp in the winter. You will be carrying unnecessary weight and will be

awfully hot most of the year. A bag rated at 20-30 degrees is probably the most versatile. Whatever you choose, it should definitely be a mummy style bag. Mummy bags weigh less and are warmer than a rectangular bag of identical material and temperature rating.

Another item you will need that many novices don't think are stuff sacks and ditty bags. Buy lots of them in a variety of sizes to hold clothing, tent, toiletries, tools, cook kit, food, etc.... This way you can easily organize your pack.

Use compression stuff sacks for bulky items such as sleeping bag, tent and clothing. They will compress

everything into a much smaller package and give you more room in your pack (do not however store your sleeping bag or tent long term in a compression sack).

Also, check out REI's expert advice section for camping. Lots of great info there.

Edited by briansnat

Here's another idea for you, sign up to be an adult volunteer with a local Boy Scout Troop. You'll learn everything you need to now about trekking - and have the opportunity to do the things you're talking about.

The Boy Scouts can always use more volunteers.

Edited by rogheff

If you belong to Sam's, check out their outdoor gear section. Earlier in the year we purchased two internal frame packs for $45 each. They're swiss gear and have been great. They fit us both (hubby and myself) comfortably and they're a good size for an overnight pack. Our kids are getting internal frame ones for Xmas by a great company that makes scaled down packs for the little ones (good prices too). If Sam's is out, check out REI. They have their own "brand" of packs and they tend to be quite a bit less than the competitors and of decent quality.

Check out Amazon for sleeping bags. We're looking ourselves, and you should be able to find one under $100 that packs small, good sized for larger adults, and weighs very little. We've found several that will work.

Tents are our next research project, but you can probably find one on there too. Look all over the web for what you want and then google a sale for that item, or see if places like Overstock or Amazon carry them.

Good Luck!!!

Thakns for all the responses guys, keep em coming!!!!

Are those "flip" sleeping bags good? That seems like a good idea.

Brian I really appreciate the suggestion on the pack size, & fit... Thats pretty valuable. TL advised me to rent gear from REI, but those bastages dont have one near me!!! *shakes fist*

I did research on hammocks a while back and found some useful links. After many uncomfortable nights in a tent (before "Thermarest was invented"), I'm most likely going to buy a hammock myself. A good portion of hammock users have low back issues like myself.

Hammock Forums

Making a "bridge hammock" so you can sleep flat

Hammock Manufacturers

This camo version looks like a winner to me. Mosquito Hammocks

picJungleHammockJeepFlashCrop.jpg

I did research on hammocks a while back and found some useful links. After many uncomfortable nights in a tent (before "Thermarest was invented"), I'm most likely going to buy a hammock myself. A good portion of hammock users have low back issues like myself.

Hammock Forums

Making a "bridge hammock" so you can sleep flat

Hammock Manufacturers

This camo version looks like a winner to me. Mosquito Hammocks

I've thought about getting a hammock. Hennesy Hammocks have caught my eye. My chief concern is that from everything I've read they tend to be pretty cold to sleep in. In other words the weight you save with the hammock might be offset by a heavier sleeping bag and additional insulation. I still think they would be nice in the summer though.

I've thought about getting a hammock. Hennesy Hammocks have caught my eye. My chief concern is that from everything I've read they tend to be pretty cold to sleep in. In other words the weight you save with the hammock might be offset by a heavier sleeping bag and additional insulation. I still think they would be nice in the summer though.

In the Hammock forum I linked to, they mention an insulating pad placed underneath of their sleeping bag. I assume the pad couldn't weigh much more than a "Thermarest." My only concern is becoming a bear pinata, or bear punching bag.

Maybe I'm wrong and there's another way to use these things, but it seems to me that you would have to find somewhere with proper sized and spaced trees to use it. That would make them too specialized for my taste. If I'm going to spend my money, I like it to be on an item that I can use in the majority of places I travel/move. They also look like a pain to set up, hard to get in and out of, and don't allow for a snuggling partner. But, there's clearly a market for them, so someone must really like them.

Hennessey seems to be the goto guys for the hammocks. TL also mentioned the cold being an issue in them... But it seems to me that would be solved by a good sleeping pad. The Hennessey site has a video showing entry & exit from the hammock & it looks amazingly easy.

The big benefit with the hammock (to me) doesnt have much to do with weight saving... But that it raises me a little off the ground... so if the terrain is rocky/rooty I dont have to sweat it. In regards to the concern of becoming a bear feed bag, well... I guess that kinda seems like a 50-50 to me. Again, not a camper, & have never been attacked by a bear... BUT the hammock actually seems like it would be easier to get out of if a bear decided to poke around the campsite.

About the trees having to be a certain distance apart.... I am not really sure about this... they do seem to recommend ~ 10' of space between your two posts... It SEEMS to me that you would be able to vary the distance by a few feet by letting the strap out a bit.... But again, no first hand experience. I would like to know the answer to this one as well. It would be important for me to camp AT the campsite, not 45' off away from the site because the trees there are useless.

It would be important for me to camp AT the campsite, not 45' off away from the site because the trees there are useless.

This can also be an issue. When I backpack I usually bring a lightweight hammock along just for relaxing. I bet about half the time I can't find a pair of suitable trees to hang the thing anywhere near the campsite.

Some of the better hammocks do allow you to pitch them on the ground, but if you're going to do that I'm sure a real tent will work much better.

Edited by briansnat

I've been working on a hammock set up for a few months now. There are a couple things to keep in mind, first that if there are no trees you must be able to "go to ground" so to speak. Second if you are camping in cool weather (lets say less than 65-70 degrees) you will need insulation under your hammock. The reason being your sleeping bag is compressed when you lay on it and does not provide insulation from the cool air beneath you. Most hammockers(?SP?) use a top quilt and an under quilt, it's kind of like you cut your sleeping bag in half and hang the bottom underneath the hammock so that your weight is on the hammock and not the insulation, while the top is used as a blanket. You can also use the blue CCF pads as insulation since they don't really compress under you. A partly inflated thermarest seems to be popular as well. As for the "go to ground" options I am using a tarp that I could easily set up as a tent using my hiking poles or any sticks that are long enough. If I need to go to ground I will set up the tarp tent and then use a space blanket as a ground cloth. I'm currently waiting for my underquilt so I can do some cold weather testing. As always YMMV

My hammock kit includes:

ENO Doublenest

Speer Winter Tarp/Tent

Blue Walmart CCF pad (if needed)

Kick a** Quilt

Good sources of information include:

Hammock Forums

Just Jeff's

Just Jeff's keeping warm page

Thanks Belair!!!! PM sent!

And thanks Rockrat for chiming in, I knew you had a hammock pack & wondered if you had gotten to use it much. Your neck of the woods is where I would likely use it most often... in the Red Creek area more than likely. the more I weigh the options, the more it looks like I will be tent camping. I love the self sufficiency of the hammock, but dont want to have to camp 6 miles from the camp because I cant find trees that will cooperate with me.

Thanks Belair!!!! PM sent!

And thanks Rockrat for chiming in, I knew you had a hammock pack & wondered if you had gotten to use it much. Your neck of the woods is where I would likely use it most often... in the Red Creek area more than likely. the more I weigh the options, the more it looks like I will be tent camping. I love the self sufficiency of the hammock, but dont want to have to camp 6 miles from the camp because I cant find trees that will cooperate with me.

Your more than welcome. If you really can't find tree's to use the tarp I have can be used as a tent. There is a give and take with hammocks. On the one hand you can set up your hammock on a slope, on rocky ground, heck even hanging over a stream(think of the cool breeze in the summer) but you do need trees to hang it from. With a tent you can set it up in an open field but you do need relatively flat ground with a minimum of rocks and roots. That combined with the footprint a tent can leave means you are essentially bound to established camp sites. With a hammock you can camp anywhere with decent trees and as long as you don't build a fire(I use a stove for cooking) you can still follow leave no trace. By the way speaking of rocks and roots, how is it that the only rock in miles always ends up right in the middle of my back when I'm camping.

Here's a pic of the tarp for you:

WinterTarp2.jpg

The lighter and more versatile you can make it is the key. My pack is from Kelty and is internal frame and is a 3000 cu. in. The tent I use is from Cabelas, a one person bivy, and a therm rest short pad. I use a light weight summer bag and if it gets colder out then I have my down vest and polartec which I always carry and sleep in my clothes. I haven't found any camping pajamas yet. Food and a stove are more of a personal choice along with your menu.

0d3426e9-f872-4979-9ac9-effdd0a25a98.jpg

Edited by Tahosa and Sons

In addition to the boxes and the 'net, one might also consider a local outfitter or failing that, REI among the chains. The best of these can size you up pretty well both for what you want to do and what will actually fit.

Granted, they are a little difficult to find, if the original poster is in eastern WV one of the places along the Appalachian Trail should be rated, up or down, by the folks on whiteblaze.net - or perhaps contact the webmaster of midatlantichikes.com for some pointers (MRHyker is very helpful).

Also, on the subject of hammocks, I've switched from tenting to using a Hennessy. Their offshore stitcher has varying quality control and I had to mail mine to Canada ($$$) for a replacement that came a couple months later. I've attended a form led by Speers hammock folks and might be inclined to switch to that brand (sewn in U.S.A. to boot) had I not bought Hennessy.

Now all I have to do is convince the wife that I will be ok on the AT for a night or two alone this summer OR find someone to go with-- not easy for a middle aged bloke with no backpacker friends.

For hooking up with backpackers, try thebackpacker.com and forums.backpacker.com , folks post trips in many areas of the country, and will also value input on the best GPSr. :santa:

By the way speaking of rocks and roots, how is it that the only rock in miles always ends up right in the middle of my back when I'm camping.

I know exactlyl what you mean. I decided the thin Thermarest wasn't for me because I AM the princess when it comes to the pea under the mattress. I ended up buying REI's 3.5" self-inflating pad. It's a bit heavier, but I sleep like a log on this thing.

Wow TL, that bad lad weight 5 lbs... Do you have a pack animal? :(

I figure a good night's sleep is worth the extra coupla pounds over the Thermarest IV. If I can wake up without a backache, I can look forward to the whole day without a gripe. If I wake up with a backache, then I'm already fighting an uphill battle before I put on the backpack.

Before you jump into tents and sleeping bags and backpacks you might look into Ultralight camping. Check out the following web pages for a different twist on camping.

http://www.rayjardine.com/adventures/profile/index.htm

http://www.ultralightoutfitters.com/index.html

I carry a military issue poncho. 78” X 58”, weights about 15 ozs., $15-20. :P I added a few tent pins and cord to my pack. Looks a lot like Ultralight Outfitters’ The Poncho Tent, 82” X 45”, 22 ozs., $180. :P

Wow TL, that bad lad weight 5 lbs... Do you have a pack animal? :P

I figure a good night's sleep is worth the extra coupla pounds over the Thermarest IV. If I can wake up without a backache, I can look forward to the whole day without a gripe. If I wake up with a backache, then I'm already fighting an uphill battle before I put on the backpack.

I never used any type of sleeping bad until two years ago. Then I purchased a Thermarest Prolite 3 3/4 length. It is the best 13oz I carry. I sleep great with it, never had a problem. Some people may ask what I do about me feet hanging over the pad. I put my pack under then.

I also wouldn't trade my Western Mountaineering sleeping bag for anything.

Edited by DeskJocky

I considered Hennessy Hammocks after reading a bunch about them. I have reservations about them being a colder sleep as opposed to a tent. To make of for this people use heavier sleeping bags or a hammock quilt. Also, being a bigger person 6'3" 220 I also need a bigger hammock. Start adding the ounces and it really isn't worth it for me to try a hammock out.

I used a EMS Starlight tent for many years and loved it. Yes, it was a pain to stake all the time, but it work great and held up on very windy nights and in heavy rains. I recently bought a Hubba-Hubba so I could have a free standing tent. The weight is pretty darn good and I know people who have them and love them. I like room in my tent so I don't mind carrying extra weight of a 2 person tent.

I have been doing a LOAD of research into the subject, & I ahve decided to go with a hammock. However, I am not going to buy one outright, I am getting the stuff together in an attempt to DIY a hammock shelter system. Based on what I have read, I should be able to do it at a fraction of the cost... If I dont like the way it lays, I can re-tie it to get a different lay out of it. I am lookin forward to giving this a try... I know very little about sewing & am anxious to get into it. I am starting off with some stuff sacks & then will move up to hemming my hammock, & tying it off. I figure once I have a couple of hammocks under my belt, along with a few stuff sacks, I will have more confidence in my ability.... and be able to get to work on sewing a bugnet, & then a tarp for shelter. Then there is the question of a quilt, etc... But I am really just wanting to see how I do with the stuff sacks ATM. ;) I figure I can outfit my buddy & I with the stuff we would need for warm weather car camping for about $40...

The jury is still out on the pack. I cant find any info about Ray Jardines kits, & TBH the dude maybe an ace at all things DIY & outdoors, but I think the dude has drank the kool-aid. I might end up just buying a pack, but would like to DIY one jsut to say I did it.

I have been doing a LOAD of research into the subject, & I ahve decided to go with a hammock. However, I am not going to buy one outright, I am getting the stuff together in an attempt to DIY a hammock shelter system. Based on what I have read, I should be able to do it at a fraction of the cost... If I dont like the way it lays, I can re-tie it to get a different lay out of it. I am lookin forward to giving this a try... I know very little about sewing & am anxious to get into it. I am starting off with some stuff sacks & then will move up to hemming my hammock, & tying it off. I figure once I have a couple of hammocks under my belt, along with a few stuff sacks, I will have more confidence in my ability.... and be able to get to work on sewing a bugnet, & then a tarp for shelter. Then there is the question of a quilt, etc... But I am really just wanting to see how I do with the stuff sacks ATM. :D I figure I can outfit my buddy & I with the stuff we would need for warm weather car camping for about $40...

Interested in your DIY system. How are you doing it?

Well, I am going to follow the basic design instructions here

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html

Though that is not the exact type of hammock I am going to make... The one I will make will have tie-outs on the side to give it an ASYM shape ala Hennessey Hammocks. The tie outs will give me a little more space than I would have otherwise. The next step will be to make a bugnet &/or hammock sock. I have not yet decided if I am going to make my hammock have a zip in net (that hangs from the ridgeline & around the entire hammock), or one that will hang around the entire hammock. There are different methods to how you tie off the ends of the hammock, that results in a different "lay". I am a side sleeper, & I will need to experiment to see what suits my sleep style the best.

My short term goal is to make a couple of stuffsacks, & to make a hammock. I am making hte sacks because they have a practical use & are easy to make... and will serve to get me used to using a sewing machine. I have bought enough ripstop nylon to make 3 long hammocks. I figure that will be enough to experiment with, & will give me alot of practice at hemming the edges. I figure after making those, I will have a better idea of what I want to make next. At some point I will have to decide on whether I can make my own tarp, or if it would be time & money better spent on simply buying one outright. I would like to make it just to know I can.

There are several designs out there for quilts, both over & under quilts. I will definitely be using an overquilt as opposed to a sleeping bag, because I can make it & it will save me money. I am torn on the underquilt though.. they seem to be more complex to make & I do not believe they will completely replace a sleeping pad in my pack. But again, there are some things about hammock camping that I need to experience first hand before I can make up my mind on.

Once I have made all my hammock gear, I will also have an idea if I am able to make my own backpack for backpack camping. I think that the designs for those are as complex as you want them to be, & I dont know if I would be satisfied with something I created, as opposed to something I could buy. The $200 tags on packs is sick though... I dont think that I could bring myself to pull the trigger on that, when I know I could make something that works myself.

The $200 tags on packs is sick though... I dont think that I could bring myself to pull the trigger on that, when I know I could make something that works myself.

Packs are the same as any other commodity - watch the sales and clearance. Some great buys are out there if you're a little patient.

There is some gear that you can cut corners on, others you cannot. A good pack will enable you to have a great trip; a bad pack will enable you to have a very bad trip. You would hate to blow the bottom or side out of your pack in the middle of the woods. I would highly recommend investing money in a good pair of shoes/boots/trail runners and not make your own. :rolleyes:

When buying a pack make sure you can fit all of your stuff in it. More importantly, make sure the pack fits you correctly. That is where a good outfitter can help.

I am cheap, but nto so cheap that I would use a piece of crap because it was free, vs something nice because it is expensive. :rolleyes: I am a pretty big guy with road shoulders... I think making my own pack would be a good thing, since I could have the straps actually fit me well, as opposed to how my camelback squeezes me. I dont have an REI or any other outfitter near by, unfortunately... so I am kinda out on a limb on the gear scene... I am either making my own, or trusting in mail order.

I am cheap, but nto so cheap that I would use a piece of crap because it was free, vs something nice because it is expensive. :rolleyes: I am a pretty big guy with road shoulders... I think making my own pack would be a good thing, since I could have the straps actually fit me well, as opposed to how my camelback squeezes me. I dont have an REI or any other outfitter near by, unfortunately... so I am kinda out on a limb on the gear scene... I am either making my own, or trusting in mail order.

I can feel your pain. I'm not the "average" hiker size wise. I'm 6'3" and 230. The straps on my Gregory Z pack work great for me. I can not figure out why every strap is about 6" longer than it needs to be. I joke that when I become a gram weenie that I am going to shorten them.

I have a Camelback Cloud Walker(?) that I use as a day pack. It works pretty good and has taken *a lot* of abuse over the years and is in perfect condition with the exception of the dirt that is ground into it.

6'3" 255ish atm, & my CB Rim Runner, while a great day pack, could use another 1-2" of space where the straps are sewn into the pack at the top. Ah well, the idea of making a real pack is months away at best. I have much to learn & do before I reach that point.... And I might lose interest, or just come to the realization that I cant do it, but this is important for me to try.... besides, I have already ordered ~ 32' of 1.9 ripstop nylon & 5000' of poly thread to sew with! har!

The $200 tags on packs is sick though... I dont think that I could bring myself to pull the trigger on that, when I know I could make something that works myself.

Packs are the same as any other commodity - watch the sales and clearance. Some great buys are out there if you're a little patient.

There is some gear that you can cut corners on, others you cannot. A good pack will enable you to have a great trip; a bad pack will enable you to have a very bad trip. You would hate to blow the bottom or side out of your pack in the middle of the woods. I would highly recommend investing money in a good pair of shoes/boots/trail runners and not make your own. :rolleyes:

When buying a pack make sure you can fit all of your stuff in it. More importantly, make sure the pack fits you correctly. That is where a good outfitter can help.

Oh, I'm not saying you should cut corners. I'm just saying that you don't have to spend $200 to get something nice. Sometimes that $200 pack gets alot cheaper if you keep a watch out for it.

Oh, I'm not saying you should cut corners. I'm just saying that you don't have to spend $200 to get something nice. Sometimes that $200 pack gets alot cheaper if you keep a watch out for it.

Agreed. I got mine for about $120 sale price; down from $200.

There are really ten basic essentials for safe travel in the wild. Anything beyond the basic ten are comfort items (and yes, comfort in the wilderness is great...carry as much "comfort" as you can, but never at the expense of the Ten Essentials).

The Boy Scouts use a list they call the Ten Essentials. Yeah, every now and then you hear of a Scout getting lost, but they almost always survive. And given that the Boy Scouts take hundreds of thousands of kids into the wilderness each year, the number of lost and injured is very, very, very small. All that means is that the BSA knows what it's doing when it comes to taking people into the wilderness.

Here's the BSA's Ten Essentials"

(see page 224 of the Scout Hand Book)

Pocketknife

First Aid kit

Extra Clothing

Rain Gear

Water Bottle

Flashlight

Trail Food

Matches and Fire Starter

Sun Protection

Map and Compass