The end of GPS?

htomc42

I don't know what will come of this - but possibly the next really big war will be fought in space as well huh?

Maybe thats going too far - however, I can see a country destroying foreign satellites as something that may lead to war...

What about their satellites that orbit over other countries?

It's just their war plan. If it ever came to that, lack of GPS would be low on our list of worries.

Actually, it would be near the top. From weapon systems to intelligence gathering to troop movements to communications and beyond, much of our military relies heavily upon the GPS satellites...not to mention tracking down feral tupperware!

.....oh like there isn't a file buried in some Pentagon office somewhere that details how we would take out other countries sats.........

........and another detailing how our military would operate minus the GPS capabilities...............

.......and another on how to put down crazed iowa Corn Farmers that are revolting.......

Its called contigency planning.

.....oh like there isn't a file buried in some Pentagon office somewhere that details how we would take out other countries sats.........

........and another detailing how our military would operate minus the GPS capabilities...............

.......and another on how to put down crazed iowa Corn Farmers that are revolting.......

You betcha. And, if I'm not mistaken, the U.S. proved the capability to do the very same thing some years ago. It goes to the previous poster's comments about taking out command, communications, and control capabilities. Oh, and stopping the populace from finding micros in lampskirts!

You betcha. And, if I'm not mistaken, the U.S. proved the capability to do the very same thing some years ago. It goes to the previous poster's comments about taking out command, communications, and control capabilities. Oh, and stopping the populace from finding micros in lampskirts!

Oops. One of our 'communications' satellites just accidently left it's normal orbit and bashed into one of China's 'communications' satellites.

Sorry.

Plans to destroy satellites aren't buried, they are at the top of the list!

Check out http://www.spacetoday.org/Satellites/YugoWarSats.html for some of the roles GPS satellites play in warfare.

When (not if) we fight China they'll be among the first things destroyed.

From http://www.spacewar.com/reports/DIY_Anti_S...System_999.html

On January 11, 2007, China deliberately destroyed one of its own weather satellites in a test, which some analysts suggested as having the potential to revive a techno-political race believed to be defunct since the 1980s. According to Gheorghe and Vamanu that was the cool analytical view, but some hot diplomats are quoted as saying this demonstration is "inconsistent with international efforts to avert an arms race in outer space and undermining the security in outer space".
Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Here's what they are doing with all the money we are paying them to manufacture everything:

http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribune/W...china_11_29.asp

I"m sure they'll make friends all over the world by attacking "enemy" GPS satellites.

This is nothing new.

The USA and USSR no doubt had the ability and the plans to do the same in the event of a war long before China. China is just playing it smart.

Note to self: When WW III breaks out don't plan on the GPS working. Do plan on getting drafted.

read the last part. WHEN IT IS OVER CHINA

One problem is that GPS satellites aren't geosynchronous. If China destroyed every single one of them that flew over their territories, would that be enough to degrade system performance elsewhere?

I believe that every GPS sat will pass over China at some point. Except the WAAS sats. I think they are in geosynchronous orbit.

Scientific American magazine had an article a couple years back that detailed just how easy it would be to destroy a lot of satellites. It focused on geostationary ones and 1 exploding bomd/satellite could do it. But the method would also be of extreem usefulness with other satellites that are in constellations, like the 3 or 4 GPS satellites per orbital plane.

The "World Tribune"??? I noticed no city, state or country as their home... Could this be the new face of the "Weekly World News"; you know, the one that said that Michael Jackson was the love child of an alien and Jackie O (okay, maybe that's not too far stretched). or that Clinton had messengers from Drendon114 as guests in the Lincoln bedroom??? China can NOT afford to piss us off at this point. If we stopped buying everything from China (and hence, everything from Walmart), their economy would colapse instantly. Sounds like either plain tabloid garbage, or some serious fear-mongering (which is doubtful, because the fear mongerers are the one supporting shipping all our jobs over there!). :)

Edited by geowizerd