Totally new in Hendersonville NC

Barefoot Parrothead

I JUST learned about geocaching last night and I am already addicted!! LOL

I haven't left my computer all day just trying to get as much knowledge as I can. I have a cache spotted only a few blocks from my house and am going to make it my first adventure.

For the record, I don't have a GPS unit and probably won't until after Christmas. So, my first searches should prove to be interesting...lol. I figure if I start right from my house, at least I'll be familiar with the clues.

I am SOOOOO excited about this and really look forward to it.

Any advice?

Welcome to the Forums! :D and to the addiction! :D

The best caches to look for when you are starting out are those that are "Regular" size. Micro caches can be very difficult to find, even for an experienced cacher, who has a GPSr . . . :D

Check out the long running thread about "Clever Cache Containers" to see the different methods of cammo used.

Welcome!

A wonderful multi-cache you can get started without a GPS is "God Kissed the Earth and Called it Asheville". The first bunch of stages you can do just by looking at the coordinates on google Earth and then going to the locations. The first stages are all walking in Downtown Asheville. The final will require a GPS, as it is somewhat outside the city. I'm sure you can also do some Virtual Caches with just google earth and then going there. But once you have a gps, it gets much, much more fun!

Welcome!

A wonderful multi-cache you can get started without a GPS is "God Kissed the Earth and Called it Asheville". The first bunch of stages you can do just by looking at the coordinates on google Earth and then going to the locations. The first stages are all walking in Downtown Asheville. The final will require a GPS, as it is somewhat outside the city. I'm sure you can also do some Virtual Caches with just google earth and then going there. But once you have a gps, it gets much, much more fun!

How do I find a cache by name such as this one?

This is getting more and more exciting and I haven't even started yet. My neighbor and I are going on our first hunt in the morning. We are going to walk to the wetlands trail and look for the Three Hole Tree cache. It's about a block from our house. We have spent all night looking for the perfect things to leave.

Keep in mind that we are doing this without a GPS. :-)

Unfortunatley, I haven't been able to venture down the hill to the cache spot yet. My father is sick to the point of being bedridden and is staying with us until he feels better. It may be a few days before I can go. :-(

Meanwhile, since I've been stuck in the house, I have been like a sponge, reading and learning as much as I can about all of it. I have been reading all of it my dad and he is excited to be back up and walking again so he can go with me. :-)

I have a question? Is there forum for each state? Where I could possibly search a friend to pair up with?

We have spent all night looking for the perfect things to leave.

Unfortunately you will find that most previous finders didn't do the same, so don't be

disappointed when you open a container filled with total garbage. The journey and

the hunt is the real prize anyway.

I believe in karma.... :lol: eventually, if you give enough, something cool will work it's way around to you. B)

Unfortunatley, I haven't been able to venture down the hill to the cache spot yet. My father is sick to the point of being bedridden and is staying with us until he feels better. It may be a few days before I can go. :-(

Meanwhile, since I've been stuck in the house, I have been like a sponge, reading and learning as much as I can about all of it. I have been reading all of it my dad and he is excited to be back up and walking again so he can go with me. :-)

I have a question? Is there forum for each state? Where I could possibly search a friend to pair up with?

There is a South and Southeast Forum.

You might find local people there you can tag along with on a "caching adventure." :lol: