Garmin Nuvi 660 .GPX overwrite

Anrx4you

I'm trying to download cache sites on the Nuvi 660. I successfully downloaded the first one, but the next download asked if I wanted to overwrite the first. I'm assuming downloading the 2nd will erase the first. Is there a way to download several cache sites so I don't have to go home and download a new site after each hunt?

I am using the "Send to GPS" function.

-Michael S.

I'm trying to download cache sites on the Nuvi 660. I successfully downloaded the first one, but the next download asked if I wanted to overwrite the first. I'm assuming downloading the 2nd will erase the first. Is there a way to download several cache sites so I don't have to go home and download a new site after each hunt?

I am using the "Send to GPS" function.

-Michael S.

I've loaded a number of caches (50 or more at once) by exporting the desired caches from GSAK in GPX format, and copying them into in my Nuvi 350 in the folder \Garmin\gpx. The Nuvi will import them into the "Favorites" section of "My Locations" the next time it's turned on.

I hope this helps.

Apollo

Edited by Apollo

To get the .gpx files, you have to become a Premium Member. But, once you pay the $3.00 per month, or $30.00 for an entire year, you have access to Pocket Queries. Combining GSAK and PQs and Garmin's POI Loader, you should be able to load thousands of waypoints . . . if you want that many . . . :smile:

Ok, it seems getting favorites into the NUVI is the easy part. Now HOW DO I GET THEM OUT?!?

I can erase FAVORITES one at a time, but I have like 500 now which means I have to press 2000 times on a touchscreen which has, I'm sure, a limited lifespan.

To get the .gpx files, you have to become a Premium Member. But, once you pay the $3.00 per month, or $30.00 for an entire year, you have access to Pocket Queries. Combining GSAK and PQs and Garmin's POI Loader, you should be able to load thousands of waypoints . . . if you want that many . . . :(

Ok, it seems getting favorites into the NUVI is the easy part. Now HOW DO I GET THEM OUT?!?

I can erase FAVORITES one at a time, but I have like 500 now which means I have to press 2000 times on a touchscreen which has, I'm sure, a limited lifespan.

I have the Nuvi 670. I emailed Garmin about erasing from FAVORITES and was told "one at a time".

I guess the best was to go is to load geocaches into the memory card as POI's.

Now, how do you get all of them to show up on the map as closed chests? I can only get a one at a time as small squares.

I presume there os a GSAK way of doing it.

Edited by peiguy

To get the .gpx files, you have to become a Premium Member. But, once you pay the $3.00 per month, or $30.00 for an entire year, you have access to Pocket Queries. Combining GSAK and PQs and Garmin's POI Loader, you should be able to load thousands of waypoints . . . if you want that many . . . ;)

I have the Nuvi 670. I emailed Garmin about erasing from FAVORITES and was told "one at a time".

I guess the best was to go is to load geocaches into the memory card as POI's.

Now, how do you get all of them to show up on the map as closed chests? I can only get a one at a time as small squares.

I presume there os a GSAK way of doing it.

I to have a nuvi, model 680. I easily loaded my first set of caches from geocaching.com.

Now I too am having problems adding new caches from other locations. the concept of merging files by simply placing them in the garmin/gpx directory doesn't work. :(

Deleting the default gpx file, now shown as a GSAK file doesn't work. It just keeps coming back with the date of the last time I tried to delete it. ;)

Also, I have no "mass" delete function of those caches saved as favorites as quaintly displayed as treasure chests on the GPS screen. :D

I'm thinking this isn't so easy after all and the idea of quickly and easily adding caches is going to be long hard road.

Anyone having recent success? ;)

Greg (Desperately seeking cache)

Well folks,

After 4 hours of futzing around, I finally found an easy solution to the infamous .gpx file delete/update problem. :unsure: To arrive at this simple solution, I called the Garmin support line (close, but no cigar).

Tested various options myself based on theories...no avail.

Read furvently and found this posting...which works like a charm (Thanks Jack):

Travel by GPS wrote:

>

> "D G Stewart" wrote:

> > Is there a way to delete groups of waypoints... when I have it connected to my PC.

>

> You should see a couple of GPs eXchange (.gpx) files. I'm guessing

> the one you want is called current.gpx. You can edit this file as you

> would normally with waypoint management software.

I have tried this -even deleted both .gpx files, and the

waypoints are still in the unit... Once you turn the unit

on, the Current.gpx file comes back... So the waypoints are

also stored somewhere else...

The only way I know to delete all the waypoints at once is

to put the unit into the Maintenance Mode...

MAINTENANCE MODE:

Step 1. Turn your Nuvi unit off, remove any SD cards from

the SD card slot and make sure that the unit is not plugged

into

any computer.

Step 2. Place a fingertip on the upper left hand corner (note: Garmin told me to touch lower right which did not work - close but no cigar) of

the touch screen and keep it there while turning the unit

on, a

prompt should read " Do you really want to start in

maintenance mode?"

Step 3. Select the yes button.

Step 4. Enter your PIN if enabled.

Step 5. Main Maintenance Mode screen should have 4

selections:

System information

View Diagnostics

Clear User data

Clear Waypoints

Step 6. After some selections the unit should reboot and you

check to verify unit after rebooting.

--

Jack

Unfortunately, your point is not the best option. I find that with the POI loader, it puts the waypoints under my "extras" folder which does not then appear as "Caches" on my GPS unit. I have to specifically select one POI from extras to see it on the screen. This is expecially difficult when the names are cryptic.