AT&T TILT and GPS

kb9nvh

Well, I made good on my word. A while back, I tried to upgrade my 60csx to the newest maps but because my 60csx was my second unit I had unlocked to they would not let me upgrade my 2006 city select and my only option was to purchase a new copy of citysnavigator NT for 120 bucks or so.

Since I use my gps primarily for the road and the maps are strictly a road issue I decided to use the 120 dollars to off set the cost of a new cellphone with a gps built in. My thinking is that google maps is always updated and always free (I already have a cell phone unlimited data plan).

Today I just got it set up and I must say I"m pretty impressed. Here's what you don't get. Turn by turn pop up navigation. You do get turn by turn but just not pop up. You get ALWAYS the newest maps, and you get immediate transfer to satellite view. You get fast routing and "traffic information". You also get info on business's that are close to your location. Google is working hard to increase the usefulness of this and I will guess that sooner than later you will be getting turn by turn.

Another cool thing is that the camera on the phone will label gps coordinates to the exif info (if you want it).

I don't have an iphone but I think that this bad boy has it beat in the most bang for the buck category. Touchscreen is GREAT and since its windows mobile 6 you have a huge choice of applications to choose from. This is so much more than a cell phone (and larger too so that may be a deterrent to some).

The jury is still out weather i can sell my 60csx on ebay yet but I'm sure that eventually google will make this and easy decision.

So, anyone else who is angry at garmin's map policies might consider going this route.

Oh, the TILT also has wifi so you can keep off the cell tower when at home or in a hot spot.

Edited by kb9nvh

I've had my AT&T Tilt phone for about two weeks now and I"m very pleased with this phone.

After much searching through both Freeware options and paid software, I've finally found what I think

is the right software for me.

I found the http://www.visualgps.net/BeeLineGPS/default.htm < BeeLineGPS > it found the built in GPS with out any problems and with in a short time I had found and loaded up 54 waypoints for my local area.

This software costs 30.00 for registrered version, after a free 30 day trial. Active forum and a good manuel are also available.

Bonnie

The GPS doesn't seem as sensitive as the SIRF chip in my 60csx but maybe as good as my old GPSV.

Looks like this BeelineGPS doesn't need cell coverage at all.

Go check out the page.

http://www.visualgps.net/BeeLineGPS/screen_shots.htm

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

View Geocache Information as seen in the original website

Export tracks to Google Earth XML format (learn more...)

Comprehensive Trip Computer

Advanced Analysis Plotting

Import GPX files with geocaching support

Advanced Waypoint Management

BeeLineGPS is a high performance Pocket PC cache navigation and management software tool. Import GPX files and manage thousands of waypoints with the advanced Waypoint Manger. View, manage and hunt geocaches with ease and confidence while having fun, a perfect paperless solution. BeeLineGPS also includes active waypoint technology where a waypoint can trigger a warning window for speed traps, safety cameras or play a sound byte while on a guided tour. Other features include waypoint averaging, altitude profiling and a comprehensive trip computer. BeeLineGPS is the ultimate GPS tool for your geocaching and outdoor needs.

BeeLineGPS waypoint database can support thousands of waypoints with over 120 icons to depict specific locations. If you don't see a specific icon, ask for it and we'll add it.

Geocaching Geocaching

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BeeLineGPS has specific features to help the Geocacher find and manage the cache. With many Geocache icons, BeeLineGPS can help identify found, attempted, new and other cache states. Below shows the states and icons associated with these states. BeeLineGPS will also show detailed information using the web browser for each cache by simply clicking on the cache waypoint on the map.

Using the GoTo waypoint feature along with the map screen, you can zero in on to the cache using the on-screen direction finder.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

How well does it work in the backwoods, with no cell coverage?

Edited by kb9nvh

I just found two caches today with my Tilt - well, one and a half.

I used Cachemate for PPC - it also has a navigation compass like BeeLineGPS (I have that too), but I find it easier to manage waypoints in Cachemate (in fact, I couldn't figure out how to mass delete them in BeeLineGPS).

It seems you do have to keep moving, like a GPSr without a compass, when caching with a Tilt.

I was having trouble with the second cache, so I broke out my 60cs, and it didn't do any better so something was interfering with the GPS signals in that spot. Finally found it though!

While I think the GPSr is a much better cache-finding experience, the Tilt will do just fine when I don't have the GPSr on me (which is most of the time). I'm waiting for the Garmin X software for car navigation - not happy with Google Maps (which involves too many screen clicks whenever you lose the data connection or stray off course) or Live Search (which actually locks up occasionally, requiring a soft reset) at the moment.

Love the Tilt though - best phone I've had so far (previous was Treo 650).

One nice thing with the new BETA of google maps is that your location stays centered on the screen (even if you don't have GPS built in). If no GPS it uses tower triangularization for your location

I just found two caches today with my Tilt - well, one and a half.

I used Cachemate for PPC - it also has a navigation compass like BeeLineGPS (I have that too), but I find it easier to manage waypoints in Cachemate (in fact, I couldn't figure out how to mass delete them in BeeLineGPS).

It seems you do have to keep moving, like a GPSr without a compass, when caching with a Tilt.

I was having trouble with the second cache, so I broke out my 60cs, and it didn't do any better so something was interfering with the GPS signals in that spot. Finally found it though!

While I think the GPSr is a much better cache-finding experience, the Tilt will do just fine when I don't have the GPSr on me (which is most of the time). I'm waiting for the Garmin X software for car navigation - not happy with Google Maps (which involves too many screen clicks whenever you lose the data connection or stray off course) or Live Search (which actually locks up occasionally, requiring a soft reset) at the moment.

Love the Tilt though - best phone I've had so far (previous was Treo 650).

One nice thing with the new BETA of google maps is that your location stays centered on the screen (even if you don't have GPS built in). If no GPS it uses tower triangularization for your location

Just realized that I was using version 1.2 and it's up to 2.0 (no longer a beta?) now - so I'll at least try the current version! :huh: I thought it would auto-update! ;) Thanks for getting me to check!

Took my TILT on its first road trip. I'll start off by saying that without paying for software its just no comparison to having a dedicated navigational GPS on the dash. Also, I wonder, about wear and tear on the phone as I'm always pressing buttons changing screens on the Garmin. I hate to wear out my new PHONE in the first week.

Anyway, looks like, for now, I'll be keeping the dedicated gps on the dash for navigation. Now, I do think that for finding cahches that the phone's TILT can do a pretty good job. The software is just not polished as well as the garmin. So again, garmin wins on experience alone.

The TILT has some neat features (that are free) like softare called "track me" which uploads your loacation to a server and allows you or someone else to download it and see your track and current location on google earth. THis is too neat!!!

Also, google maps has the potential to be better than garmin with this thing. With thier always updated maps and latest business database, the TILT has the garmin beat hands down. I would always choose the TILT over the garmin to find a business in my current location.

This GPS on phone stuff is getting fun!!!

Took my TILT on its first road trip. I'll start off by saying that without paying for software its just no comparison to having a dedicated navigational GPS on the dash. Also, I wonder, about wear and tear on the phone as I'm always pressing buttons changing screens on the Garmin. I hate to wear out my new PHONE in the first week.
I'm going to try out the Garmin XT software once I can find it - I think that might give us the best of both worlds on the phone. I've run into too many problems with the dependency on the data connection using Google Maps and Live Search. There have been times when I'd be driving for 5 minutes while it's waiting to load a map. So having the maps onboard would be a plus - maybe at some point Garmin will use the data connection to get newer POI's than are on the card. The downside is that there is only 750MB free on the card for your own files.