Bike Across Canada GPS Mapping the Trans Canada trail and sujested alternate routes

canadarideforclimate

Basically to put it simply,

Next year im Biking Across Canada. (I already did western canada this year, covering 4,000km and got to Regina Saskatchewn.. 89 days)

But i missed a few sections as i (like many others, who set out to bike across the country and would like to take the TransCanada trail all the way... but have a hard time following it.. cause it's so massive and mixed up. (haveing the route take you through hiking trails.. when your on a bike)

So I want to solve that problem.

I want to create a GPS map containing the complete trail and ALL relevent points of interest Along the way.

Using that Awsome site from

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=174764

http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/

And then adding in the GPS tracks from everyone out there who can post their tracks on

www.everytrail.com

and others.. (dont know what the favourite site is yet)

http://virtualbikeride.blogspot.com

That's my site as lots of details are on there (or will be if not yet uptodate)

Basically it's using Google earth to complile a list of all the relivent information.

and using google maps to hold all the different types of waypoints...

For this map what i want to have is a listing of;

Campsites (all of them across the trail and reommended routes)

The Towns/Cities and include the Contact details for the tourist information offices.

The bike shops across canada.

The Motels across canada.

The resturants

And lots more ...

I post this for the time being.

Becuase google maps now has the ability to colaberate with others... this can be a great way to be fixing all my points of interest.

Edited by canadarideforclimate

Quick Summery:

While biking along the Complete transcanada trail. .. I will be using my GPS and posting onto EveryTrail.com my route.. along with the Points of Interest maintly:

Bike Shops (name & Phone number)

Info Centers (tourist offices)

Campgrounds

Motels

Rest Areas

Information signs

Trail heads

Trail markers

Where brides are

Tunnels

.. caution points

Viewing sites.

All of the points will be placemarks and shown on Google Maps..

As well as showing on POI-factory.com the GPX file of it (basically a GPSVisualizer.com conversion of it)

I will also be posting links to other peoples trail maps as they go along the trail and take paved (quicker) roads across canada. .. Onto Google Earth. It holds a streem of data from Google maps.

So then i can download all the maps that other people created from everytrail.com (across canada)

Check out one of them (it was when i was cycling from Osoyoos, BC to Bridesville, BC (up the mountain)

As flickr photos can be shown on google maps easily.

Google maps will include a link to that.

Basically the purpose of the Google earth file and the GPX database of each type on entry is so then I can bring those points and the trail route ontop of the FreeTopo file. ..from Ibycus

maps. ..

Then have the complete Data file saved onto An XD card and then given out (or people can download it). .. from the different Info Centers across.

The GPS map will be free for everyone to uses and we would encourage everyone to submit their waypoints anyway they know now, and with as much detail as possable.