Any one else find micros boring?

geowizerd

I do like the idea of bringing back virtuals.

Micros can be OK if they are not in high muggle areas.

I really do not like nano type of caches.

One of the many things that I like about micros is that they can be hidden in high muggle areas.

Dealing with muggles is an art at which I do not excel.

I like looking for caches in high muggle areas if I think I can do so without looking like a criminal. However, I am very heavy on the "honesty" thing and I get very paranoid pretending to be something I am not, even when it is a very benign impersonation like "tree inspector."

Since looking for something very small in a highly public area and not using some kind of pretense seldom go together, I generally avoid these caches.

For me a proper micro or nano is placed where I can look at my leisure without pretense. If so placed, I appreciate the challenging hunt.

There are still many micros and nanos, that are not in the woods, that can be hunted without arousing the muggles. I find these very interesting... at least for a while.

When I get to the point that the hunt is boring, whether large, regular, small, micro, or nano, I move on. it really IS that simple if you let it be so.

Edited by Confucius' Cat
Basically, micros have their place, but should be placed with some thought, not just put out because it is what you have or just because you can.

I hold myself to that standard as a hider, but I do not hold other hiders to that standard. I’m not so sure I can explain why, other than to fall back on my libertarian/fairness/tolerance principles and say that it's not my place to tell others what benign behavior they should or should not be allowed to enjoy.

I'm down with that.

One should always hold oneself to a higher standard than he holds others.

I would particularly note that your "policy" is only valid IMO with the affirmation of the bold text.

If one can express a valid reason how placing a micro adversely effects others besides their simple personal disdain thereof, then a valid case for their discontinuance could be made.

As it is however, the issue IS only one of opinion. Verily, this thread is by its OP definition nothing more than a forum of personal opinion. As such, all opinions are equally acceptable (even though they may not make a lick of sense), regardless of any factual or logical fallacies or inconsistencies inherent in the opinion.

So if someone wants to have a disingenuous opinion, the same libertarian/fairness/tolerance principles should be applied to their opinion as well.

Or is that too liberal? :)

Not at all. I fully concur with your analysis.

As you point out: in order to be postable one's opinion needn't be defendable; it need only be type-able.

I enjoy wacky opinions in much the same way I enjoy kitschy caches. Each opinion, just like each cache, is worth something. No opinion or cache is completely worthless – at the very least it can always serve as a bad example.

From your above linked post:

If my appreciation for lamp post caches – my ability to enjoy pretty much any cache out there, no matter how unsophisticated – makes me abnormal, then I don’t want to be normal. If I were normal I apparently wouldn’t enjoy this hobby nearly as much.

I don't think anyone who has been an active cacher for more than a week could be called "normal." :D:D:P

I guess micros do have their place, especially in more urban areas. I live in a very rural area, in the Allegheny Highlands of PA. For me, it IS about the "treasure hunt", and enjoying the outdoors. This week on the Today Show, when a guest explained geocaching to Merideth Viera as using a GPSr to find a "hidden treasure" box of stuff to trade, she exclaimed "Wow! That's so cool!" If the guest would have told her that it was usung a GPSr to find a rolled up scrap of paper to sign, I doubt her reaction would have been the same. I don't personally have anything against micros, the people who set them, or those that like to find them. And I will probably do one from time to time. Just like crime dramas... They're not really my cup of tea, but if there's nothing else on, I may watch one once in a while. :D

Finding a hidden box is old game (i.e.. letterboxing), only in it's most recent version (geocaching) has trading been added. For about 150 years it was about leaving the impression of your stamp (signing) in a log book (and collecting the stamp from the box in your book).

Finding a hidden box is old game (i.e.. letterboxing), only in it's most recent version (geocaching) has trading been added. For about 150 years it was about leaving the impression of your stamp (signing) in a log book (and collecting the stamp from the box in your book).

Actually letterboxing started off with someone hiding a jar in the moors and leaving his calling card. Then he told his friends how to locate it and as proof of their visit they left their calling card. Letterboxing, originally, was probably more like finding a micro box - no trades just leave a something to prove you were there (then:calling card/now:sign the log).

Here's a quick chronological history of letterboxing:

1. England
  2. 1854 James Perrot left a calling card in a glass bottle at Cranmere Pool, Dartmoor and invited friends to find it.
  3. 1888 A small tin box replaced the original bottle. Visitors left self-addressed postcards. The next person to visit the letterbox (except if it was a same-day visitor) would retrieve the postcards and mail them back from their hometown. And so the activity gets named "Letterboxing".
  4. 1976 Tom Gant created a guide map pinpointing the fifteen letterboxes in existence, at which point letterboxing began to boom in a big way.
  5. 1980s Commercial rubber stamps and a notebook are used instead of calling cards or postcards. Clues are published in a clue catalogue or by WOM.
    North America
  6. 1998 Smithsonian publishes an article called "They Live and Breathe Letterboxing"
  7. 1998 Letterboxing starts in North America. The difference - clues are published online (not via a paper clue catalogue) and hand-carved stamps are used.

For me, it depends entirely on the micro.

A 1/1 Micro? .. If I'm in the area, yeah I'll get the star. Not gonna go out of my way for it.

a 5/5 mico? ... If I could, yeah I'd go for it.

For me, it's about the hunt, not what's in it. I don't even care about the log book really.

BwarRoo, on the other hand, is more focused on two things: The smiley and the swag. (collects the pins out of them), so he'll do a micro, but also prefers larger caches.

I too am a WheresGeorger. I am newer to the Geocaghing scene. I learned about it from WG? and joined the site in 2001......then in Dec 2008 I got a GPS for Christmas.

I have been clicking in with my state GeoCaching association. I find a micro or any other log only situation a bit more interesting if I can see when my buddy "X" was there or if "JJ" made it, or even who was the last player to be there.

And yes I do find most of my micro's on lunch breaks.....or other equivilent non-working times. The best caching (IMHO) is going out in the desert and hiking/biking/scraping the heck out of the bottom of a rental car in search of the box.

Also must confess, not much of a SWAG person, in general I just like to sign the log.

"Random letters" not real names :ph34r:

Clan Riffster is a team divided on this issue. As a general rule, I find most micros to be uninspired, and as such, they are not particularly fun for me to find. Cleverly concealed micros are a blast, but are a rare breed, in my opinion. Viv actually enjoys them. Now I run two PQ's, (actually about 12 weekly, but two that are relevent to this topic), one local, which excludes all micros, virts and webcams, and one with nothing but micros. If I go alone, I load one. If I go tandem, I load both.