Any one else find micros boring?

geowizerd

Here is a view from a very much brand "newbie" (4 days since we bought our GPS and got our first find). We now have 10 finds to our credit and when I started, i made assumptions as to what I figured I'd like and what i wouldn't. Since then, we have done micros to larges, virtuals, multis. I didnt figure i'd like micros or virtuals but id have to say I change my mind on that.

To us, its all about what you are looking for. We are not looking for easy or hard caches, small or large. Good items or bad. What has captured our interest in the first 4 days is the sheer enjoyment of the hunt. The challenge of the well hidden micro, the excitement of whats in the large caches. The research beforehand of the caches. And fortunately, we live in Tulsa, Oklahoma and what we have seen so far is "uniqueness" in caches. Cachers here seem to do a great job in hiding caches. Scenic overlooks, historic sites, great wilderness areas, and the occasional quick PnG lunchtimers. We have seen it all and love it all. I loved the 30 minute hike through a hiking trail for a cache just as much as the 2 minute lunchtime PnG.

Im sure 1000 finds later, our view will sway a bit but just to let you all know, this sport still attracts and excites newbies :santa:

***edited for clarity and spelling***

Edited by Mike and Mitya
We now have 10 finds to our credit... What has captured our interest in the first 4 days is the sheer enjoyment of the hunt... Im sure 1000 finds later, our view will sway a bit but just to let you all know, this sport still attracts and excites newbies :santa:
Yes, we will all get picky in our old (caching) age. I hope that whether it's your 10th or 2010th, you'll still find the game exciting! Welcome to the sport!!
Here is a view from a very much brand "newbie" (4 days since we bought our GPS and got our first find). We now have 10 finds to our credit and when I started, i made assumptions as to what I figured I'd like and what i wouldn't. Since then, we have done micros to larges, virtuals, multis. I didnt figure i'd like micros or virtuals but id have to say I change my mind on that.

To us, its all about what you are looking for. We are not looking for easy or hard caches, small or large. Good items or bad. What has captured our interest in the first 4 days is the sheer enjoyment of the hunt. The challenge of the well hidden micro, the excitement of whats in the large caches. The research beforehand of the caches. And fortunately, we live in Tulsa, Oklahoma and what we have seen so far is "uniqueness" in caches. Cachers here seem to do a great job in hiding caches. Scenic overlooks, historic sites, great wilderness areas, and the occasional quick PnG lunchtimers. We have seen it all and love it all. I loved the 30 minute hike through a hiking trail for a cache just as much as the 2 minute lunchtime PnG.

Im sure 1000 finds later, our view will sway a bit but just to let you all know, this sport still attracts and excites newbies :santa:

Glad to hear that! I think a lot of it does depend on the area and also your style. Regardless, moderation is the key to having a long happy experience with whatever you are finding or hiding.

I just refuse to do parking lot micros. I just got home from four days of caching in another town. My hotel was literally surrounded by caches. Sadly over half of them actually titled "skirt lifter ###". There were plenty of caches to go hunt. If a skirt hide is a good option at a location such as a park, or monument, then I call that fair game. But driving through parking lot after parking lot isn't my version of the game.

I did see some great micros and even nanos that were a lot of fun to find.

SD

To be or not to be, that is the question... Cache (boring micro) or no cache? Would you prefer to find nothing on your map search--a vacant wasteland of nothing--or boring micro?
I ask thou why I would would want to drive from parking lot to parking lot. Is it for thy smiley?

My guess is that you wouldn't, because you've let us know that you don't like these caches.

Someone else that does enjoy them, would probably go geocaching and get the parking lot caches for similar reasons that you'd get any of the caches you like, and you'd both get smileys.

You ask that question as if getting a smiley for finding a cache is a negative thing.

To be or not to be, that is the question... Cache (boring micro) or no cache? Would you prefer to find nothing on your map search--a vacant wasteland of nothing--or a boring micro?
I ask thou why I would would want to drive from parking lot to parking lot. Is it for thy smiley?
'Tis but thy boring micro cache that is my enemy;--

Thou art thyself, though not a Regular.

What's Regular? It is nor Small, nor Large,

Nor Micro, nor any other cache belonging to a Virtual.

O, be some other cache!

What's in a cache? that which we call a micro

By any other size would smiley as sweet.

So cachers would, were he not cacher call'd,

Retain that dear smiley for which he is owed.

Edited by meralgia
To be or not to be, that is the question... Cache (boring micro) or no cache? Would you prefer to find nothing on your map search--a vacant wasteland of nothing--or a boring micro?
'Tis but thy boring micro cache that is my enemy;--

Thou art thyself, though not a Regular.

What's Regular? It is nor Small, nor Large,

Nor Micro, nor any other cache belonging to a Virtual.

O, be some other cache!

What's in a cache? that which we call a micro

By any other size would smiley as sweet.

So cachers would, were he not cacher call'd,

Retain that dear smiley for which he is owed.

:D:D:(

Gee, who woulda' figured a thread on micros would have become such a hot topic?
What was the topic again? I fell asleep from boredom.... :santa:

You may need to see a doctor about your sleep posting disorder! I understand it's more dangerous than sleep walking. :D:(

But not nearly as bad as sleep caching! :D Truly a tragic disease, and those log books....all filled with ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZs.

Gee, who woulda' figured a thread on micros would have become such a hot topic?
What was the topic again? I fell asleep from boredom.... :santa:

You may need to see a doctor about your sleep posting disorder! I understand it's more dangerous than sleep walking. :D:(

But not nearly as bad as sleep caching! :D Truly a tragic disease, and those log books....all filled with ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZs.

I know that when I have trouble getting to sleep I count LPCs. It is a lot more effective than counting sheep. :santa:

Nope, I do not find them boring.

You see, I am a freak of nature. If a television show (I hardly ever watch) bores me, I stop watching. If a movie bores me, I get up and walk out. If a book bores me, I stop reading. If eating pizza bores me, I stop eating it. I think there's a pattern here....

When micros start boring me, I stop hunting them. After a month or so, I'll go do a bunch again, and they are as fun as ever. Get bored, stop hunting them. I think there's a pattern here....

When I go somewhere new, I'll hunt them. Folks in different regions seem to have a different micro style, and it makes them fun again (eg not boring).

A person is bored only if they choose to be bored.

My bestest caching partner is my 11 year old daughter. On occasion I'll ask her if she'd like to hit a new cache. She usually asks me if it's a micro and usually I'll say yes.

She's not interested.

She doesn't want to do them and I won't make her.

You can learn a lot from a kid.

Yes, you can! In the kid caching threads, I always advise to go for large containers because those are the ones that have the treasure. The tiny ones have squat-ola and kids could care less about a stinking smiley. Edited by TrailGators
Nope, I do not find them boring.

You see, I am a freak of nature. If a television show (I hardly ever watch) bores me, I stop watching. If a movie bores me, I get up and walk out. If a book bores me, I stop reading. If eating pizza bores me, I stop eating it. I think there's a pattern here....

When micros start boring me, I stop hunting them. After a month or so, I'll go do a bunch again, and they are as fun as ever. Get bored, stop hunting them. I think there's a pattern here....

When I go somewhere new, I'll hunt them. Folks in different regions seem to have a different micro style, and it makes them fun again (eg not boring).

A person is bored only if they choose to be bored.

Like reading your post. I didn't know I was going to be bored until I finished reading it, but I guess I "chose" to read it.... :( <j/k> Anyhow, the point is that sometimes you just don't know what is going to happen until it happens. Some micros are cool and some are dullsville. :D Edited by TrailGators
Yes, you can! In the kid caching threads, I always advise to go for large containers because those are the ones that have the goodies. The tiny ones have squat-ola and kids could care less about a stinking smiley.

Do you remember that carleenp had a kid caching poll/question/newsletter thingy a couple years back? cmilk (my daughter) loved it.

So after 8 days and over 170 posts: Some cachers find them boring and some don't. Some cachers hunt for them and some don't. Lots of reasons why. What a great game. :D

Try four years and 10k posts. It never changes, you just watch and follow the cycle. :D:( Ya can't let it get ya down.

Only 6 months behind you, just not as prolific. :santa:

Some micros are cool and some are dullsville. :santa:

Isn't the same true with non-micros?

Yes, but the thread is about everyone's favorite subject, micros. :( Why don't you start a "Replying to Any one else find regulars boring?" thread? It might actually be one of the first one of those. Something new to talk about! :D It kind of makes you wonder why we never see threads like that? :D

Yes, but the thread is about everyone's favorite subject, micros. :D Why don't you start a "Replying to Any one else find regulars boring?" thread? It might actually be one of the first one of those. Something new to talk about! :( It kind of makes you wonder why we never see threads like that? :D

I didn't say regulars, I said non-micros.

Apparently it's the micros that have upset so many people in this thread. A lot of people allow themselves to be upset about micros and they can't figure out either how to not get bothered by them, or how to avoid them.

That's hard to understand.

Yes, but the thread is about everyone's favorite subject, micros. :D Why don't you start a "Replying to Any one else find regulars boring?" thread? It might actually be one of the first one of those. Something new to talk about! :( It kind of makes you wonder why we never see threads like that? :D

Apparently it's the micros that have upset so many people in this thread. A lot of people allow themselves to be upset about micros and they can't figure out either how to not get bothered by them, or how to avoid them.

Who's bothered?

Yes, but the thread is about everyone's favorite subject, micros. :( Why don't you start a "Replying to Any one else find regulars boring?" thread? It might actually be one of the first one of those. Something new to talk about! :D It kind of makes you wonder why we never see threads like that? :D

Who's bothered?

Gee, I dunno? :santa:

Im sure 1000 finds later, our view will sway a bit but just to let you all know, this sport still attracts and excites newbies :(

I so appreciate your open-mindedness!!

I'm approaching my 1000th find, and I just posted my thoughts in the "Good Non-micro..., What makes a non-micro cache good???" thread. Essentially, its all about entertainment, and many things can entertain those that are open-minded.

I just refuse to do parking lot micros. I just got home from four days of caching in another town. My hotel was literally surrounded by caches. Sadly over half of them actually titled "skirt lifter ###".

For the most part, I do agree with you, especially the skirt-lifters. My... how original can you get?!? But I will say that I recently had a LOT of fun with a nearby series. The fun wasn't in the finding, but in the logging of my finds. I won't post them here, but if you care to, take a look at my finds on Nov 17, 2007. Not only did I have fun, but I got an email from the owners letting me know that they were ROFL over them!

Not only that, but about every 15th one was NOT a skirt-lifter, which really did give me a little extra entertainment.

(This post is in response to a post in ArcherDragoon’s thread entitled "What makes a non-micro cache good?" At his request I am posting my response here, as I believe this thread is a more appropriate place.)

In general though, the world of geocaching would be a much more enjoyable place if micros just did not exist.

For YOU.

And the good news is... it CAN be!!! All you have to do is filter them out.. and they're gone!!!

Huzzah!

The only problem with that narrow thought is that it still leaves the geocaching world full of embarrassing ill concieved trash. Trash that I might choose to not download and hunt, but trash nonetheless.

Some people like lots of snow. I don’t, but some do.

If a resident of North Dakota can't stand snow he is free to move to South Florida. Inconvenient yes, but very effective.

Why, then, would one who has chosen to move to South Florida continue to grumble and complain about all the snow up in North Dakota?

Some people enjoy micro caches. You obviously don’t, but some do. No problem – you have the ability to conveniently and permanently make ALL micro caches disappear from your screen. You don’t even have to drive a moving truck 1800 miles; all you have to do is click a box with your mouse. Why in the world, then, would you CHOOSE to continue to allow micros to bother you? Why grumble and complain about something you’ve already removed from your life?

This is a serious question; I am extremely curious. Do you really enjoy complaining about things that need not bother you? If not, then what IS your reason?

I mean no offense. Honest. I only want to understand.

(This post is in response to a post in ArcherDragoon’s thread entitled "What makes a non-micro cache good?" At his request I am posting my response here, as I believe this thread is a more appropriate place.)

In general though, the world of geocaching would be a much more enjoyable place if micros just did not exist.

For YOU.

And the good news is... it CAN be!!! All you have to do is filter them out.. and they're gone!!!

Huzzah!

The only problem with that narrow thought is that it still leaves the geocaching world full of embarrassing ill concieved trash. Trash that I might choose to not download and hunt, but trash nonetheless.

Some people like lots of snow. I don’t, but some do.

If a resident of North Dakota can't stand snow he is free to move to South Florida. Inconvenient yes, but very effective.

Why, then, would one who has chosen to move to South Florida continue to grumble and complain about all the snow up in North Dakota?

Some people enjoy micro caches. You obviously don’t, but some do. No problem – you have the ability to conveniently and permanently make ALL micro caches disappear from your screen. You don’t even have to drive a moving truck 1800 miles; all you have to do is click a box with your mouse. Why in the world, then, would you CHOOSE to continue to allow micros to bother you? Why grumble and complain about something you’ve already removed from your life?

This is a serious question; I am extremely curious. Do you really enjoy complaining about things that need not bother you? If not, then what IS your reason?

But in South Florida you have to worry about hurricanes. When was the last time there was a hurricane in South Dakota? Frankly, a boring cache is a boring cache whether it is a micro or a regular. But a big bowl of ice cream is always better than a little sample cup no matter what the flavor is. :rolleyes:

(This post is in response to a post in ArcherDragoon's thread entitled "What makes a non-micro cache good?" At his request I am posting my response here, as I believe this thread is a more appropriate place.)

For YOU.

Huzzah!

Some people like lots of snow. I don't, but some do.

Some people enjoy micro caches. You obviously don't, but some do. No problem – you have the ability to conveniently and permanently make ALL micro caches disappear from your screen. You don't even have to drive a moving truck 1800 miles; all you have to do is click a box with your mouse. Why in the world, then, would you CHOOSE to continue to allow micros to bother you? Why grumble and complain about something you've already removed from your life?

But in South Florida you have to worry about hurricanes. When was the last time there was a hurricane in South Dakota? Frankly, a boring cache is a boring cache whether it is a micro or a regular. But a big bowl of ice cream is always better than a little sample cup no matter what the flavor is. :rolleyes:

:ph34r: I agree. Say Toz, don't you ever tired tired of eating Raspberry Ice Cream?That's all I ever see you eating. I could 'shop you a different flavor if you want... :unsure::unsure:

Agreed, but that is beside the point. My question specifically addresses Team Cotati's reason(s) for continuing to complain about something he has already conveniently and successfully removed from his life.

I originally posted that I put micros out so the handicapped people can get to them easy...and got flamed.

But now I see that there are so many people pissed off at micros...like they are forced to go find them. Good Grief People...if you don't like them...then don't go after them...especially the new ones I hid in the Wallmart parking lots under the lamp skirts...or the multi-stage magnetic keyholder cache that runs along Hwy 94 guard rail from Madison, wi to the west coast...or that Bison tube cache I hung in that really thorny blackberry patch...etc.

Too bad I can't put an Ammo can under a lamp skirt in a Wallmart parking lot.

...or that Bison tube cache I hung in that really thorny blackberry patch...

Hey,

I was doing just fine not posting to this thread...but this statement had me rolling on the floor!!! This may give a little insight to how my twisted mind works...but I actually love these types of micros...

Nothing better then a cache that fights back!!! The buddies I go caching with will quickly tell you, my caching day is not complete unless I can go home with a couple new "battle scars/wounds"...actually a little depressed if I don't get at least one new scar while caching...

...even better then a micro in a blackberry patch is a ammo box in a buckthron growth...same experince, but on a total body experince (more then just scratching my hands and arms)... :ph34r:

Yep...I am twisted...that is me...Archer "The Goon"

PS...I like micros...they don't need to entertain me...I can do that myself...they just need to get my big butt off teh couch and out the door...so thankfully they are a cache and I need to at least try to find it!!!

Later,

ArcherDragoon

I originally posted that I put micros out so the handicapped people can get to them easy...and got flamed.

But now I see that there are so many people pissed off at micros...like they are forced to go find them. Good Grief People...if you don't like them...then don't go after them...especially the new ones I hid in the Wallmart parking lots under the lamp skirts...or the multi-stage magnetic keyholder cache that runs along Hwy 94 guard rail from Madison, wi to the west coast...or that Bison tube cache I hung in that really thorny blackberry patch...etc.

Yeah and it is also too bad that you can't cram a nano up Il David di Michelangelo's butt too, cause I'm danged convinced that if you could, SOMEONE would go scrounging for it.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should. Playing to the lowest dominator of human behavior is seldom a good thing. Walmart parking lot hides, hides behind memorials to the dead, hides in front of bussinesses, crammed between building dedication plaques and the brickwork and at other exposed muggle overrun locations is an embarrassment to the game, period.

We used to see these a lot. Then we stopped downloading micros. Just because we no longer hunt for them, in no way reduces their degenerative impact upon the game.

Later,

Team Cotati

Edited by Team Cotati

Yeah and it is also too bad that you can't cram a nano up Il David di Michelangelo's butt too, cause I'm danged convinced that if you could, SOMEONE would go scrounging for it.

Your choice of phrase reminded me of a search for a rather famous cache in Jacksonville Florida. Here I am, extracting a cache from a lion's butt:

9c3cfa20-78bb-4438-9c6b-3d019eb36fef.jpg

Now, contrast this with the following lovely picture, taken at the top of a mountain as the sun set into the cloud bank below us:

e99ef4e8-22da-4455-aad1-292946d2809b.jpg

Want to know the point of posting the pictures?

The cache inside the lion's butt was a "small." Trade items, a full logbook, geocoins... the works.

The cache on top of the mountain was a "micro." It was the perfect choice for that spot, because of the heavy muggle traffic to that scenic overlook.

It ain't about the size. It's about the location, and choosing the right container to match that location.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should. Playing to the lowest dominator of human behavior is seldom a good thing. Walmart parking lot hides, hides behind memorials to the dead, hides in front of bussinesses, crammed between building dedication plaques and the brickwork and at other exposed muggle overrun locations is an embarrassment to the game, period.

We used to see these a lot. Then we stopped downloading micros. Just because we no longer hunt for them, in no way reduces their degenerative impact upon the game.

Later,

Team Cotati

Painting every micro with the same brush is totally unfair and logically a poor arguement. Just as bad as someone claiming that regular sized caches are bad for the game, because bomb squads keep finding them and blowing them up therefore they reflect poorly on the game and should be gotten rid of. I've heard of other sizes also being seen that way, so I guess we need to get rid of caching altogether!

Your choice of phrase reminded me of a search for a rather famous cache in Jacksonville Florida. Here I am, extracting a cache from a lion's butt:

9c3cfa20-78bb-4438-9c6b-3d019eb36fef.jpg

Now, contrast this with the following lovely picture, taken at the top of a mountain as the sun set into the cloud bank below us:

e99ef4e8-22da-4455-aad1-292946d2809b.jpg

Want to know the point of posting the pictures?

The cache inside the lion's butt was a "small." Trade items, a full logbook, geocoins... the works.

The cache on top of the mountain was a "micro." It was the perfect choice for that spot, because of the heavy muggle traffic to that scenic overlook.

It ain't about the size. It's about the location, and choosing the right container to match that location.

Very true! That reminds me of a micro I once found that was hidden under a large statue of a horse right next to his you-know-whats. It must have looked very strange seeing me examine the horse's private area then seeing me reach in to grab the darn thing. We cachers do some strange things sometimes. :ph34r: Edited by TrailGators

...Just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should. Playing to the lowest dominator of human behavior is seldom a good thing. Walmart parking lot hides, hides behind memorials to the dead, hides in front of bussinesses, crammed between building dedication plaques and the brickwork and at other exposed muggle overrun locations is an embarrassment to the game, period....

Only if all those locations are an embarasment to humanity.