Any one else find micros boring?

geowizerd

Micros are great for people like me who do the majority of their caching on lunch breaks. They're especially good for days when I feel like caching, but I lack the motivation to go bushwacking through the woods and risk getting my work clothes dirty.

It's true that micros don't deliver the excitement that bigger caches do, but that doesn't mean they don't have a place in the world of geocaching.

To be honest, finding the 1 or 2 caches that i can reach during my 1-hour lunch break is usually the highlight of my day. Micro or not.

I am a newbie, and I'm sure this topic probably has been debated ad-nauseum before. I just wanted to throw in my $0.02. I am donning my Nomex flame retardant suit now.

As stated, I am a newbie, without a doubt. I've only been caching for 3 weeks and have a whopping total of 7 finds! :) I have done a micro or two, and frankly find them pretty boring. Just unrolling a piece of paper and signing it doesn't really feel like I'm doing much. I like finding a nice container in a secluded spot, full of interesting trade items, and the anticipation of what is going to be inside when I pop the lid. I really get a kick and even a good belly laugh out of some of the stuff I find in these, and try to be fun and creative about what I leave as well.

If the original infamous bucket (and those that followed) had nothing but a log to sign, do you think this sport would have taken off like it has?

I guess I am a newbie too. I have 40 or 45 I guess. I think everyone has their own reasons to take up this hobby.

I find it interesting because it draws me to interesting places. I live in northern Michigan and I spend a lot of time out of doors. Since taking up this hobby I have been taken to places that I never dreamed existed. Heck I found a dang beaver dam right in my town limits that I did not know was there. That is what interests me.

I have absolutely no interest in swapping trinkets. I am sorry but I like to get out and find the cashe and sign the book. That is plenty for me. At least right now. I see people with thousands of finds and I can imagine that they have to work to keep the hobby interesting for them but right now just getting out is plenty for me.

I have eight out right now and I have tried to place them in areas that I think are interesting. I don't hide them just to hide them. If it is not an interesting site, a hiking trail or an eagles nest or some thing that caught my eye I will not put one there. I have gone to a few lately that were just a bust, it looks like no thought was put into the placement.

I don't mind Micro's if I am smart enough to read the dang description before I head out. I have wasted time looking for a big box and then find it is a dang film can.

Lately I have gone to a couple that I would not hunt. One was in and area that looked like a hobo jungle and the other was plastered with no trespassing signs. Later I looked on the web and it said that it was private property and they had permission but I am sorry, I am not gonna trespass where there are signs.

I have found a few micros in interesting spots and I enjoyed them.

Another thing I hate is looking for a cashe that is in plane sight of mugglers. I just will not do it. Why would anyone hide a cashe were we have to sneak around so we are not seen. I just don't understand it.

Hey, I got a chance to get some griping done myself :(

As stated, I am a newbie, without a doubt. I've only been caching for 3 weeks and have a whopping total of 7 finds! :( I have done a micro or two, and frankly find them pretty boring. Just unrolling a piece of paper and signing it doesn't really feel like I'm doing much.

While geocaching might be about the goodies and swag now, hopefully over time you'll come to realize that the container and its contents aren't really what this hobby is about. Sure they add to the fun, but the real treasure in geocaching is the journey. Arriving at a scenic vista tucked way out in the woods, or a waterfall so far off the beaten path that few ever see it will make you forget all about the cache. As with any cache (micros or otherwise) if they're placed in dumpy locations, the experience is diminished. You're just starting the hobby, so try all sorts of caches in all sorts of places and figure out what you like. Then hunt the stuff that makes you happy.

AMEN!! My thoughts exactly. I am happy with finding it and signing the book IF it is put in an interesting place. So much to see out there

To be honest, finding the 1 or 2 caches that i can reach during my 1-hour lunch break is usually the highlight of my day. Micro or not.

Sounds like you're after urbans and not necessarily micros. My personal opinion is a larger urban is better than a micro urban. Heaven knows that doesn't always hold true as the effort the owner puts into the cache is more important than the size of the container.

I have done a micro or two, and frankly find them pretty boring.

If only there were a way to avoid micros, to filter them out, so that you'd never have to SEE any of the cache pages, that way you wouldn't ever have to hunt them.

:D

If only there were a way to find out if a cache was good, regardless of it's size ...

If only there were a way to participate in an amateur, all-volunter hobby without expecting never to be disappointed.

My mind was changed about micros:

I walked by this cache 1000 times. Then I found GCYHEN - the best urban cache I've ever did.

Micro in plane site of a large courtyard with tons of people around, police substation...the works! It took me over an hour just to place it back, but the thrill was way worth it. Was like a Double-O-Seven mission!

Hide them like you like to find them

Hunt the kinds you like to find

Leave a trade that you'd like to find

Treat others, and their caches, as you want yourself and your caches treated.

That's really all there is to know about enjoying geocaching!

Edit to add:

I found 6 caches today, one, Let The Spirits Rest near a cemetery 3 miles from my home that I had no clue was there (6" loc-n-loc).

The next, Fant Thornley, a keyholder in a lovely urban park.

Next Edward Tutwiler, a bison tube in a tree on a busy downtown street by a historic hotel.

Then Theophilus Jones, a film can at a historic furnace that's now in the center of the city.

Then Everyone Loves The Zoo, a 6" jug at, you guessed it, the zoo.

Last Magic City Ghosts, a keyholder on a lamp-post on a busy city street near an old train station.

All part of an urban series pointing out supposedly haunted places. Not one was boring!!

Each to their own, ya know?

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Why isn't every cache exactly where I would have placed it and why isn't the container what I would have used?

Because I didn't place every cache, and if I did I wouldn't get to hunt them all.

This has been a very entertaining thread and points out once again that there are many, many ways to play and enjoy the game.

We hunt them all and try to appreciate each one. Sometimes it is more challenging than others, but we try.

Hide them like you like to find them

Hunt the kinds you like to find

Leave a trade that you'd like to find

Treat others, and their caches, as you want yourself and your caches treated.

That's really all there is to know about enjoying geocaching!

Each to their own, ya know?

Very well put! ;) That sums it up :huh:

Edited by The finch farmers

I am a newbie, and I'm sure this topic probably has been debated ad-nauseum before. I just wanted to throw in my $0.02. I am donning my Nomex flame retardant suit now.

As stated, I am a newbie, without a doubt. I've only been caching for 3 weeks and have a whopping total of 7 finds! :huh: I have done a micro or two, and frankly find them pretty boring. Just unrolling a piece of paper and signing it doesn't really feel like I'm doing much. I like finding a nice container in a secluded spot, full of interesting trade items, and the anticipation of what is going to be inside when I pop the lid. I really get a kick and even a good belly laugh out of some of the stuff I find in these, and try to be fun and creative about what I leave as well.

If the original infamous bucket (and those that followed) had nothing but a log to sign, do you think this sport would have taken off like it has?

I have a differant take on this.

Perhaps this young Padawan has hit a string of average caches. Perhaps, this Padawan needs to encounter a cache of significance.

You, my very young apprentice, are caching in the wrong part of the world. Come over to my neck of the woods, I'd doubt you'd make this same statement!

As stated, I am a newbie, without a doubt. I've only been caching for 3 weeks and have a whopping total of 7 finds! :huh: I have done a micro or two, and frankly find them pretty boring. Just unrolling a piece of paper and signing it doesn't really feel like I'm doing much. I like finding a nice container in a secluded spot, full of interesting trade items, and the anticipation of what is going to be inside when I pop the lid. I really get a kick and even a good belly laugh out of some of the stuff I find in these, and try to be fun and creative about what I leave as well.

I have a differant take on this.

Perhaps this young Padawan has hit a string of average caches. Perhaps, this Padawan needs to encounter a cache of significance.

You, my very young apprentice, are caching in the wrong part of the world. Come over to my neck of the woods, I'd doubt you'd make this same statement!

I must be in the wrong neck of the woods for micros! Todays was a good case-in-point: On our way home from Johnstown, driving right by, so I thought we'd hit it. Drove up to 10' from the cache, took about 30 seconds to find, sign log. The whole "geocaching experience" took all of 3 minutes maybe. My s/o looked at me and said "That's it???" with a puzzled look on her face. Great if you want to generate lots of finds, but not terribly satisfying. ;)

Edited by geowizerd

What would be your opinion if that Park N Grab had been inside a puzzle box, attached to a fake mousetrap, inside a Billy the Singing Bass fish, in a fishing lure hanging from a tree by a stream or suspended in a tree-less clearing over your head?

I suspect that you may be seeking out the wrong caches. Micros are fine if they're out of the ordinary. Don't search for 1/1 micros and you won't be dissapointed by 1/1 micros.

The cache you described has a great appeal for those folks who are number driven They also appeal to folks, like me, who just like finding ANY cache. They are obviously not your cup of tea and that's fine.

Looks like there's about 50 caches within a 10 mile radius of your location. I'm sure some of them are caches you'd like.

You do have another option. I find that when I hide the types of caches that I enjoy finding, that caches that I like, start appearing that were hidden by others too.

Go hide a few.

I must be in the wrong neck of the woods for micros! Todays was a good case-in-point: On our way home from Johnstown, driving right by, so I thought we'd hit it. Drove up to 10' from the cache, took about 30 seconds to find, sign log. The whole "geocaching experience" took all of 3 minutes maybe. My s/o looked at me and said "That's it???" with a puzzled look on her face. Great if you want to generate lots of finds, but not terribly satisfying. :)

Seek out a cache called "Netherworld" in Altoona. It's not a micro, but even if it was it would be a cool cache. I think you'll find it satisfying.... if you find it at all. :)

Some gifts are stocking stuffers. Some gifts are a pair of socks, and even then you force yourself to say "thank you" to Great Aunt Betty. Some gifts are iPods and flat screen TV's and Garmin GPS receivers.

While I wish that more of my gifts were of the flat screen TV type, I recognize that only some of my gifts will be in this category, no matter how good I've been in the past year. So, I am thankful for each and every gift that I receive.

I'm the same way with geocaches. It is fine to log a few stocking stuffers before hiking a mile into the woods to log a flat screen TV.

And some are 'lumps of coal'...........like micro caches. :):D:)

My first 10 caches I had a similar sentiment. I felt like the whole point was about swag and why bother chasing after a film canister with a piece of paper and geez! not even a pen! :) BUT THEN, I met a micro that changed my life. :) It was not just another film canister, it was a funny, clever camoed object in a great sneaky place. So, hang in there. When you meet a really good micro, you'll know it and I predict you'll want more and more and more and well you know how that goes...

And then there are the magnetic nanos stuck on road signs....yes, I'm appreciative (please don't bless me with the gift horse pic) but sigh...nano's on road signs are.....just...boring (unless it is a really scenic drive)

I must be in the wrong neck of the woods for micros! Todays was a good case-in-point: On our way home from Johnstown, driving right by, so I thought we'd hit it. Drove up to 10' from the cache, took about 30 seconds to find, sign log. The whole "geocaching experience" took all of 3 minutes maybe. My s/o looked at me and said "That's it???" with a puzzled look on her face. Great if you want to generate lots of finds, but not terribly satisfying. sad.gif

I would suggest using the satellite image on Google Maps to "view" each cache you intend to go to first. If it looks like a "10' off the road" cache, it's probably not going to be alot of fun for you (judging what you have said on this thread). The cache size is usually listed, so avoid those that you don't like. A little extra time in preparation will save you grief in the long run. If you're not a premium member (sorry forgot to look), the $3 a month that it takes isn't much to be able to filter caches for your preferences. Look for caches off the beaten path, caches in terrain areas that you might find interesting, and above all, realize that you don't need to find every cache that is out there.

As for my personal take on micros, I don't judge by size. I cache with three little ones, and they enjoy the swag. They also enjoy a well camoed hide. But my husband and I enjoy caches that have a purpose/point. We often find caches that make us say, "why didn't they hide it over there?", but then again maybe the owner figured most people would say that and would make the hunt to obvious. Maybe some people say that about our caches. We realize that the game wasn't made up for us alone.

We love being outdoors and so we enjoy the caches along a hike or somewhere scenic the most. But, we have to remember that, although it doesn't make sense to us, there are people who don't like to be out in nature. Geocaching should be for anyone and everyone who wants to enjoy it. There is a place for urban micros, 5/5 caches, and eveything inbetween. Will we always leave thinking, "wow that was an awesome cache!", no. But, that's ok with us.

Edited by elmuyloco5

I have no interest in attempting micros.

I suspect that the larger caches are in spots that are beautiful/interesting on their own. I get the impression that micros in general are all about how they're hid, rather than how interesting the location is.

Micros don't really offer much to me.

Interesting. Other than the fact that larger caches require more 'something' to be hidden in, why do you think that they are in more scenic places?

Please do not take this post as being argumentative. I'm merely wondering how you came to your conclusion. I'm not suggesting that you play the game in any way other than the one that you've found makes you happy.

I suspect that the larger caches are in spots that are beautiful/interesting on their own. I get the impression that micros in general are all about how they're hid, rather than how interesting the location is.

We have several micros in our new series that we just put out that are at absolutely beautiful spots. They are micros for several reasons:

1. The spot would not allow a larger container without seriously potential issues with muggles.

2. They are part of a multi and were easier to hide in the environment, or had to be small to hide there.

3. They are inside a clever container.

4. The "smallness" of the container made for a more difficult find.

There's 19 hides in all and only half are micro or smaller, but we thought the variety was important. If you know that you're looking for 19 ammo cans, it's just not as fun. We have everything from a nano to a 5 gallon bucket. It felt complete for us to make the series with a little of something for everyone (puzzle, multi, tradtional, hikes, park and grab.....and all with a specific purpose that we noted and most with a gorgeous view).

I'm not telling you how to hunt, just know that if you avoid ALL multis, you'll miss out on some great caches out there.

Some Most of the micros around here are anything and everything except boring. In fact, we have some cache owners around here that put out some really awesome micros--and I've found a few really super ones while we were traveling as well. So, nope, I don't find micros boring--in fact, I'd say the caches that are more likely to seem mundane in my area are the ammo cans. There are only so many ways to hide an ammo can in the woods, after all.

Whether or not the micro is boring will depend on the location, the cleverness of the hide, and it' dissimilarity to other caches.

Yes, after the fourth or fifth magnetic key holder stuck to a sign, I noted a pattern developing.

I agree. I love cleverly hidden micros. Micros themselves are really only a problem for people that like to trade swag, but those people can easily run pocket queries to target regular sized caches. However, if the real beef is being able to sort out cleverly hidden micros from non-cleverly hidden micros that is tougher to do. The easiest way is to filter out all micros with a difficulty < 2.

This is an unsupportable conclusion. There is no logical reason that a micro cannot be hidden in an interesting place which is in and of itself well worth the trip and the hunt. I have found many of these.

When i first started i whined about people putting out micros where a full size cache could have been hidden. I learned better after finding a LOT of cool places to go that just happened to have micros hidden nearby.

Still, micros in the woods are pretty much a waste of time. But I don't get upset when i encounter these, since I don't care a whole lot about whether I actually FIND a cache or not. I simply stop wasting my time hunting the film can (assumed) and enjoy the sight or hike or whatever the cache owner brought me there for really anyway. The only time I will put an extraordinary effort into these is if I am going for FTF.

If the coords lead to a parking lot, I drive on. No whining, just driving...

Some Most of the micros around here are anything and everything except boring. In fact, we have some cache owners around here that put out some really awesome micros--and I've found a few really super ones while we were traveling as well. So, nope, I don't find micros boring--in fact, I'd say the caches that are more likely to seem mundane in my area are the ammo cans. There are only so many ways to hide an ammo can in the woods, after all.

Oh really? Have you looked for this one? just west of Indy. Enjoy! :anicute::anibad:

I must admit that I've hidden my share of boring micros. There isn't room for anything bigger in the parks where I'm hiding them.

Now that winter has begun its nasty descent, I've had enough indoor time to doctor up the film canisters a bit so they're more interesting. Unfortunately, it will also make them more difficult to find.

Would you rather find an un-doctored film canister in a tree (D1) or a film canister with excellent cammo in a tree (D3.5)?

What exactly is it about the micro that you don't enjoy? The difficulty? The inability to trade swag?

Edited by meralgia
There are only so many ways to hide an ammo can in the woods, after all.

Oh really? Have you looked for this one? just west of Indy. Enjoy! :anicute::anibad:

From the cache page: "stinging nettles a plenty"

Yeah, sounds exactly like the kind of cache I usually find myself hunting in the woods. I may or may not find the cache, but I can always find the Stinging Nettle!

There are only so many ways to hide an ammo can in the woods, after all.

Oh really? Have you looked for this one? just west of Indy. Enjoy! :laughing::mad:

Yeah, sounds exactly like the kind of cache I usually find myself hunting in the woods. I may or may not find the cache, but I can always find the Stinging Nettle!

Look at the recent logs. You won't find the nettles anymore. :mad:

(but that opens up a whole 'nother can of worms) I was out there again last week and it really DOESN'T look like Hiroshima 1945 anymore. (Nature replenishes itself amazingly.)

While I haven't yet been able to verify this for myself, there are many websites that claim a couple of antidotes for stinging nettles... jewelweed, dock, and mullein.

Whether or not the micro is boring will depend on the location, the cleverness of the hide, and it' dissimilarity to other caches.

Yes, after the fourth or fifth magnetic key holder stuck to a sign, I noted a pattern developing.

I agree. I love cleverly hidden micros. Micros themselves are really only a problem for people that like to trade swag, but those people can easily run pocket queries to target regular sized caches. However, if the real beef is being able to sort out cleverly hidden micros from non-cleverly hidden micros that is tougher to do. The easiest way is to filter out all micros with a difficulty < 2.

That simply isn't true. The Team doesn't trade swag. The Team thinks that all micros suck. Sucking is waaaayyy beyond boring on the 'official least favo cache rating scale' version 45.345-A rev. 05/07

Therefore The Team filters out all micros in our PQ's regardless of their difficulty rating. The Team has been doing this for about 2 years now and our cache hunting enjoyment level has improved significantly.

Edited by Team Cotati

That simply isn't true. The Team doesn't trade swag. The Team thinks that all micros suck. Sucking is waaaayyy beyond boring on the 'official least favo cache rating scale' version 45.345-A rev. 05/07

Therefore The Team filters out all micros in our PQ's regardless of their difficulty rating. The Team has been doing this for about 2 years now and our cache hunting enjoyment level has improved significantly.

Throwing out the baby with the bath water does in fact get rid of the sewage.

We have a couple of very clever cachers down here that have hidden some awesome micros. I bet even The Team would enjoy these. So maybe a better method would be to ignore all micros and just add back in ones fthat are highly recommended. I do agree that 99% of the lame caches I have found have been micros.
I've been putting out some micros in very easy hiding spots so the Handi-Capped people can play the game too. These are puzzles to give a challenge but once the coordinates are found...a wheelchair can get to them.

Out of curiosity, you couldn't put regulars out that are accessible? We did.

Well, one is now a bit harder as the bush lost most of its cover and I moved it. The last 3 feet are going to be a bit tougher, but doable.

I've been putting out some micros in very easy hiding spots so the Handi-Capped people can play the game too. These are puzzles to give a challenge but once the coordinates are found...a wheelchair can get to them.
Out of curiosity, you couldn't put regulars out that are accessible? We did. Well, one is now a bit harder as the bush lost most of its cover and I moved it. The last 3 feet are going to be a bit tougher, but doable.
I was also thinking that handicapped people need one star terrain caches, but they don't need one star difficulty caches because it isn't their brains that are handicapped. I bet a lot of them would appreciate great cammo as well as caches that allow them to trade normal size swag! :anitongue: Edited by TrailGators
What exactly is it about the micro that you don't enjoy? The difficulty? The inability to trade swag?

The location. The overwhelming majority of the ones I've found were in places that I no interest in visiting

for recreational purposes. Strip malls, highway guard rails, big box store parking lots, city street corners, etc...

Micros themselves are really only a problem for people that like to trade swag...

Not true. I rarely trade, so that isn't my problem with micros (see above).

I've been putting out some micros in very easy hiding spots so the Handi-Capped people can play the game too.

What makes you think that handicap people want to find only micros?

Micros themselves are really only a problem for people that like to trade swag...
Not true. I rarely trade, so that isn't my problem with micros (see above).
I do agree that most micros are hidden in poor locations. I was actually referring to the size of the container by that comment. I've hidden micros in cool spots but got feedback in my logs that people were dissapointed because they couldn't put swag in them. So I quit hiding micros even in cool spots. Edited by TrailGators

Sometimes micros are the only containers you could use.

On one of ours, the spot is an overlook point with nothing but rock all around, and no loose rock at that. The only way we could hide one is to make it a micro. But the place gives nearly 360 degree views off of a mesa and has a waterfall view as well.

We have a couple of others that had to be small to be camoed as they are. If you think about it, you can't fit an ammo can inside a tree branch (dead of course) unless it was huge. You couldn't hide an ammo can inside of a pinecone or many of the other clever ideas for containers either.

Maybe a spot could handle a regular container, but a micro that's interestingly camoed could be more fun.

I realize that most micros are not placed for the above reasons, but labeling all micros as boring is far from the truth.

Out of curiosity, you couldn't put regulars out that are accessible? We did. Well, one is now a bit harder as the bush lost most of its cover and I moved it. The last 3 feet are going to be a bit tougher, but doable.
I was also thinking that handicapped people need one star terrain caches, but they don't need one star difficulty caches because it isn't their brains that are handicapped. I bet a lot of them would appreciate great cammo as well as caches that allow them to trade normal size swag! :anitongue:

It depends on the handicap! Give me a good 1/1 any day!!!

Sometimes micros are the only containers you could use.

On one of ours, the spot is an overlook point with nothing but rock all around, and no loose rock at that. The only way we could hide one is to make it a micro. But the place gives nearly 360 degree views off of a mesa and has a waterfall view as well.

We have a couple of others that had to be small to be camoed as they are. If you think about it, you can't fit an ammo can inside a tree branch (dead of course) unless it was huge. You couldn't hide an ammo can inside of a pinecone or many of the other clever ideas for containers either.

Maybe a spot could handle a regular container, but a micro that's interestingly camoed could be more fun.

I realize that most micros are not placed for the above reasons, but labeling all micros as boring is far from the truth.

I agree but most of the places I hide caches can hold larger containers, so I don't have a problem with hiding larger containers if that is what most people logging my caches would prefer. I don't trade swag much at all, so I don't mind finding a cache that uses a micro sized container. They can be more challenging to find, which I also enjoy. The other thing I was going to bring up is that I've had some caches that have been muggled a few times. It is annoying. I think some finders don't wait until the coast is clear because they are in a rush. So I down-sized the containers on those to make them more muggle proof.
I was also thinking that handicapped people need one star terrain caches, but they don't need one star difficulty caches because it isn't their brains that are handicapped. I bet a lot of them would appreciate great cammo as well as caches that allow them to trade normal size swag! :unsure:

It depends on the handicap! Give me a good 1/1 any day!!!

Look around. I think you got your wish. <_< What's a bad 1/1 to you? :anitongue:

We have a couple of very clever cachers down here that have hidden some awesome micros. I bet even The Team would enjoy these. So maybe a better method would be to ignore all micros and just add back in ones fthat are highly recommended. I do agree that 99% of the lame caches I have found have been micros.

That right there is a bet that you'd be certain to lose. :anitongue: