Any one else find micros boring?

geowizerd

I am a newbie, and I'm sure this topic probably has been debated ad-nauseum before. I just wanted to throw in my $0.02. I am donning my Nomex flame retardant suit now.

As stated, I am a newbie, without a doubt. I've only been caching for 3 weeks and have a whopping total of 7 finds! :laughing: I have done a micro or two, and frankly find them pretty boring. Just unrolling a piece of paper and signing it doesn't really feel like I'm doing much. I like finding a nice container in a secluded spot, full of interesting trade items, and the anticipation of what is going to be inside when I pop the lid. I really get a kick and even a good belly laugh out of some of the stuff I find in these, and try to be fun and creative about what I leave as well.

If the original infamous bucket (and those that followed) had nothing but a log to sign, do you think this sport would have taken off like it has?

Edited by geowizerd

I am a newbie, and I'm sure this topic probably has been debated ad-nauseum before. I just wanted to throw in my $0.02. I am donning my Nomex flame retardant suit now.

As stated, I am a newbie, without a doubt. I've only been caching for 3 weeks and have a whopping total of 7 finds! :laughing: I have done a micro or two, and frankly find them pretty boring. Just unrolling a piece of paper and signing it doesn't really feel like I'm doing much. I like finding a nice container in a secluded spot, full of interesting trade items, and the anticipation of what is going to be inside when I pop the lid. I really get a kick and even a good belly laugh out of some of the stuff I find in these, and try to be fun and creative about what I leave as well.

If the original infamous bucket (and those that followed) had nothing but a log to sign, do you think this sport would have taken off like it has?

My vote would be to junk all of the micros and bring back the virtuals, which unfortunately isn't going to happen.

I like micro's... yes it's true!

However, I only like micro's that have been used in appropriate places and some effort has gone into camoflaging and hiding them. I plain 35mm canister, with perhaps a sticker under a rock is not going to float my boat.

A 35mm film canister whch has been textured with silicone sealant, and sculpted so that it looks like part of a branch, or blends in with the ivy... now your talking. I take great pleasure in finding those and appreciate the effort the hider has made.

If the micro has been "made" by the hider, a fake rock, fungus or other item that blends in then I'm happy as well. Provided we're not looking for a rock on a scree slope, or a log in a wood pile. Give us half a chance!

A micro in a hole that could of contained something larger, again, not impressed. The hider hasn't thought about their location and it's potential.

On the whole though, I like micros. Perhaps because on the Isle of Man we hide then in sneaky ways!

Cust.

Two of the horsegeeks love micros but Ms horsegeeks doesn't really unless they are on a hike. Jason and I go out and find them everywhere, from lampposts to a few miles hike in the woods. We find them very challenging and a bit daring at times. Some of our favorite caches are micros by far. We don't trade so the stuff in the regulars doesn't really interest us. It is really of no interest to us what type of container we are seeking. The hunt and the exercise and the challenge is the whole game for us. We went for a 4 mile hike at a local lake this weekend and half the caches were micros. What a great day we had. Today is ride from cache to cache day because of some physical therapy (that leaves me a bit sore) I am having so micros will be the name of the game. Half of them look very challenging and a few will be drivebys. Micros.......bring 'em on we love 'em.

I have done a micro or two, and frankly find them pretty boring.

They are a lot more fun with a group of people, traveling from cache to cache, telling stories along the way. In any event, if you find them boring, there are thousands of non-micros out there to find. When you see "micro" as the size listed, just skip it. I skip puzzle caches, but I enjoy finding micros.

If all caches were hidden 20 feet from the road in a nondescript random pulloff, requiring little navigational or cache-sniffing skill to locate, do you think this sport would have taken off like it has? It's not about the swag; it's about the hunt.

Photo of the Original Stash site is below. That's my daughter, signing the log at the "Tribute" cache.

47b17dcc-d6ae-4ed9-bf4e-bd34e051919b.jpg

Edited by The Leprechauns

As stated, I am a newbie, without a doubt. I've only been caching for 3 weeks and have a whopping total of 7 finds! :D I have done a micro or two, and frankly find them pretty boring. Just unrolling a piece of paper and signing it doesn't really feel like I'm doing much. I like finding a nice container in a secluded spot, full of interesting trade items, and the anticipation of what is going to be inside when I pop the lid. I really get a kick and even a good belly laugh out of some of the stuff I find in these, and try to be fun and creative about what I leave as well.

Well, your attitude isn't one of unrealistic expectation with only 7 finds. You're plainly questioning and I can't find that a good enough reason to flame you. :)

I'll make a predction though shall I? Unless you actively pick and CHOOSE what pleases you to hunt, I don't think you'll last a year. Most new geocachers quit before they reach 25 finds. I believe a great many of these folks leave the game for aesthetic reasons.

There are three types of cache hunters... Those that let themselves be drawn to every nearby cache and grow bitter that their personal aesthetic isn't being catered to.... Those that CHOOSE their hunts to fit their aesthetic..... And those that are just happy to have another cache to find. There is little hope for the first group.

This is the type of gentle roasting I give to folks who demand to be entertained by hiders:

You should delete your find in protest. That'd show 'em. :):laughing:

Here's a gift horse for ya:

328897.jpg

It takes some effort to contribute to the geocaching community by hiding and maintaining caches. All hides that are hidden within the guidelines are a gift to the community. :D

All the hider owes anyone is to have hidden their cache within the guidelines and to maintain it.

A hunter owes it to himself to choose how he spends his quality geocaching time. When they come into the forums and complain it's often because they failed in their own choices and don't wish to take responsibility for their own actions. It makes for good entertainment though. :):D;)

Edited by Snoogans

As stated, I am a newbie, without a doubt. I've only been caching for 3 weeks and have a whopping total of 7 finds! :laughing: I have done a micro or two, and frankly find them pretty boring. Just unrolling a piece of paper and signing it doesn't really feel like I'm doing much.

While geocaching might be about the goodies and swag now, hopefully over time you'll come to realize that the container and its contents aren't really what this hobby is about. Sure they add to the fun, but the real treasure in geocaching is the journey. Arriving at a scenic vista tucked way out in the woods, or a waterfall so far off the beaten path that few ever see it will make you forget all about the cache. As with any cache (micros or otherwise) if they're placed in dumpy locations, the experience is diminished. You're just starting the hobby, so try all sorts of caches in all sorts of places and figure out what you like. Then hunt the stuff that makes you happy.

My wife agrees with you. I don't.
On the other hand, the original cache (like most caches) was full of junk that most people would not trade for. Given that caches tend to be full of junk, what's the draw of the trade items?

As stated, I am a newbie, without a doubt. I've only been caching for 3 weeks and have a whopping total of 7 finds! ;) I have done a micro or two, and frankly find them pretty boring. Just unrolling a piece of paper and signing it doesn't really feel like I'm doing much. I like finding a nice container in a secluded spot, full of interesting trade items, and the anticipation of what is going to be inside when I pop the lid. I really get a kick and even a good belly laugh out of some of the stuff I find in these, and try to be fun and creative about what I leave as well.

My vote would be to junk all of the micros and bring back the virtuals, which unfortunately isn't going to happen.

Tell me about it. :laughing::D:D

I feel fortunate to live in an area where filtering out micros still leaves more than enough 'good' stuff to last a lifetime. Also Mrs. Team Cotati and I do enough traveling that there seems to be an endless supply.

Cache on Garth!!

Edited by Team Cotati
It takes some effort to contribute to the geocaching community by hiding and maintaining caches. All hides that are hidden within the guidelines are a gift to the community. :laughing:

All the hider owes anyone is to have hidden their cache within the guidelines and to maintain it.

I'm not sure how much more I can disagree with this statement.

If you think some of the trache I see in the wild are "gifts" then I'm not sure what kind of presents Santa left you as a child--you must have been a bad, bad boy to have found so much coal and switches under the tree.

Every creative hobby I know has a form of aesthetics--including geocaching. Unfortunately, some folks don't think so. They think anything they can get past the reviewers--who generally don't judge on aesthetics--is a good cache. That's just about the same as saying that anyone who can push a button on a camera can produce a good photo.

Personally, when I create a cache I'm thinking about the finder foremost, not about myself or whether I can get the cache published. I want the finders of my cache to enjoy my cache because of my cache.

Also, to date, any time I hear, see, or read about a cache being a "gift" to the community, it's been more of "here's a freebie smilie for you" and not "here's an entertaining experience that can stand on its own merits for you." To date, without exception.

If the OP doesn't like micros, then that's his opinion and he's entitled to it. I like micros, but it's getting harder to find ones worth a modicum of worth. It's getting to the point where we just skip them all together as the likelihood of us wasting valuable time and effort is getting higher and higher.

Some gifts are stocking stuffers. Some gifts are a pair of socks, and even then you force yourself to say "thank you" to Great Aunt Betty. Some gifts are iPods and flat screen TV's and Garmin GPS receivers.

While I wish that more of my gifts were of the flat screen TV type, I recognize that only some of my gifts will be in this category, no matter how good I've been in the past year. So, I am thankful for each and every gift that I receive.

I'm the same way with geocaches. It is fine to log a few stocking stuffers before hiking a mile into the woods to log a flat screen TV.

It depends on the micro and the location! :laughing:

I rarely bother hunting micros hidden in parking lots, in full view of the general public. I derive zero entertainment from this type of hide. They are great for cachers who like to find as many caches in a day as possible.

I recently added a micro in my Top 5% bookmark because of the location I got to visit. There was nothing spectacular about the container (Altoids tin), or the extremely common hiding technique. The location was the future home of a musuem, and the best part about the cache was the 5300 pound floating granite ball you got to spin. Granite & Water 2

I compeletely agree with Snoogans on this one. There are so many different types of caches to seek these days, you will find that you will be much happier with the game if you choose to hunt those types that please you the most. Don't feel that you HAVE to find every single cache out there. There is something for everyone.

We enjoy hiking and usually pick the series that are on longer hiking trails with traditional ammo cans or lock-and-locks. Since these are our favorites, we choose to do these for the smileys on our faces, not necessarily the smileys for numbers.

In our area we are lucky to have some hiders that are very creative and thoughtful about placing micros. I have done several of them that were in very creative containers and were quite entertaining to do. Personally, I think a well done micro in an interesting location can be even better than the standard ammo can in the woods hide (as good as those are!).

Eventually you will find that sometimes certain areas can't support a larger container size for a hide because it would be too easy for it to be found and muggled. Those areas are prime candidates for micros.

I will cite 2 cases in point. One micro we found was in St. Augustine, FL, the oldest city in N. America.

The micro was at an old Spanish chimney and well that was a barracks area for Spanish soldiers when Spain occupied Florida. The location was in an entirely residential area and there were no signs anywhere indicating that this monumented area was there. I have not been able to find any reference to the site anywhere in the literature for the area. Even when we were only a block away from it on the way in, we were msytified because it was just a normal residential neighborhood with a small corner of one property that had the monument. This place would have been extremely difficult to find for anyone who didn't already know it was there. The area was too small for a larger container, so a micro was the perfect answer for how to bring people to the site to see the monument.

Another is a series of micros placed in a state forest just off the trails and all the containers are some type of critter you would see in the forest near the river there. Some are rubber frogs, some are lizards, etc... with bison tube micros in or on them. It's a very entertaining series and some of them are very well hidden so they are not gimmes. Anyone with youngsters (especially boys) would love doing these.

Good luck with your cache hunting, and hopefully you will encounter some of the more memorable and cool micros that are out there.

It depends on the micro and the location! ;)

I rarely bother hunting micros hidden in parking lots, in full view of the general public. I derive zero entertainment from this type of hide. They are great for cachers who like to find as many caches in a day as possible.

I recently added a micro in my Top 5% bookmark because of the location I got to visit. There was nothing spectacular about the container (Altoids tin), or the extremely common hiding technique. The location was the future home of a musuem, and the best part about the cache was the 5300 pound floating granite ball you got to spin. Granite & Water 2

Seems as though there is always a handy exception or two lying around.............doesn't it? :laughing::D:D

You know, just to make the rule.

When I first started playing this game, which wasn't very long ago, I thought the same way. It was going to be all about the swag. I learned very quickly that wasn't the case. But what I also learned very quickly was that it WAS all about the hide. I've heard it said that there are two types of hides - those hidden from muggles, and those hidden from cachers. The majority of cachers in my area seem to prefer the latter. It's the challenge of finding that devious hide. A game of matching wits even. Sometimes they are physical challenges, and sometimes they are mental challenges. The really good ones are both.

IMHO, what it really comes down to is the thought the hider puts into their cache. I really believe that's where the fun starts. Remember not all micros are created equal.

I've done the lamp post cache in the parking lot. Is it my favourite? No. But I do know it has it's place in the caching game. And of course, I've also done the ammo can it the bush. Was it a tough find? Not really but the hike getting to it made it worthwhile. Each hide has it's own story. You'll have alot more fun if you make each one of those stories your own.

That's just my take on the game and how I see it. It may not be the same for every one. Take it for what it's worth.

Cheers! :laughing:

Edited by ace862
While geocaching might be about the goodies and swag now, hopefully over time you'll come to realize that the container and its contents aren't really what this hobby is about. Sure they add to the fun, but the real treasure in geocaching is the journey. Arriving at a scenic vista tucked way out in the woods, or a waterfall so far off the beaten path that few ever see it will make you forget all about the cache.

The journey and the hunt is what I'm ultimately after. Getting out in the woods, taking a nice hike, checking out the wildlife, and then figuring out the hide. But to me, at least, after hiking a good ways, and spending time finding the cache, it would be a little bit of a letdown to find nothing but little strip of paper to scribble my name on. I really do enjoy carrying a "bag of swag" along, and seeing what kind of "treasures" - like the hamburger yo-yo I found Sunday! - that may be waiting. :laughing: That's just me, I guess, everyone is different. This sport lets me combine a few hobbies; geocaching, Where's Georging (leaving mine, and hopefully finding others'), and photography (you'll notice I take a lot of pics while caching).

Edited by geowizerd

Though I prefer a well stocked, full sized container, a micro in an interesting spot is fine with me.

I find boring caches boring. The size of the container is irrelevant.

I agree though that most of the boring caches do tend to be micros and most micros tend to be boring but that

is the fault of the hider, not the size of the container.

Edited by briansnat

The OP displays a very wise approach to this great sport, and show excellent posting skills for his first foray into the forums. I predict he'll be around for a while. :laughing:

That is exactly what I was about to post. To me one of the great aspects of geocaching is the variety of caches to look for. Some of us are pretty single-minded in our expectations of our geocaching experience. I'm in a different mood for different targets and experiences every time I go out. How exciting is a stroll on along a woodsy trail if you spot the dreaded pile of parallel sticks from 100' away? Sometimes it is about the hike, sometimes about the search, but it is always about the journey and the experience.

This past Sunday I just had to get out after a weekend of traveling/family/indulging in too much good food/and work.

But the forecast was for scattered showers and mid 50 temps. A nice long hike in the woods would have left me soaked and cold.

Instead I drove 45 minutes to a town I haven't visited in over a year, and routed myself to 50 traditional hides with terrain ratings under 3. I had a very fun day skipping between neighborhood parks, greenways, and parking lots, finding about 30 along the way, and dodging the heavier rain in my car. I still got wet, but not soaked.

Maybe this Sunday I'll be in the mood for some longer hikes and go after the 10 or so placed over a 7 mile loop in some gamelands nearby.

Edited by wimseyguy
On the other hand, the original cache (like most caches) was full of junk that most people would not trade for. Given that caches tend to be full of junk, what's the draw of the trade items?

One mans trash is another mans treasure, or so I've heard... I know there aren't going to be any hundred dollar bills (or 20's or 10's...) in there. No diamond rings, either. It's the so-stupid-ya-gotta-laugh stuff that I love! Or maybe once in a while something you could actually use, but just never thought of it. I'm sure as I do more and more, I will indeed want to diversify, and seek more difficult challenges. Regardless, I'm having a blast so far! :laughing:

I'll make a predction though shall I? Unless you actively pick and CHOOSE what pleases you to hunt, I don't think you'll last a year. Most new geocachers quit before they reach 25 finds. I believe a great many of these folks leave the game for aesthetic reasons.

I think I will be around for a while... I generally take my hobbies/sports pretty seriously. I've been Where's Georging for over 4 years now, and more active than ever. I have been an avid amateur photographer for over 25 years now. Oh, and did I mention that I've been an avid motorcyclist for 37 years? I'm really looking foreward to spring, when I can add another passion to the mix! ;)

This is the type of gentle roasting I give to folks who demand to be entertained by hiders:

I'm not demanding anything of anyone. I simply said that as of now, I find the micros boring. It didn't help that they were roadside grab-and-go's....

Happy Caching!

Mark

Edited by geowizerd

I think I will be around for a while... I generally take my hobbies/sports pretty seriously. ...

I think that was his point.

I agree though that most of the boring caches do tend to be micros and most micros tend to be boring but that is the fault of the hider, not the size of the container.

You da man, Brian.

I agree 100%

Now that we have identified the source of the problem, aren't all those micros really wonderful? :laughing::D;)

I like variety... a couple of fun micros mixed in with some other caches is no problem at all. What I hate are truly uninspired caches of any size. It could be one of those plastic coffee containers thrown in a bush on the side of the highway.... the only bush for miles around (yes, I've seen it). In that case I would have preferred a well hidden micro.

Variety is after all, the spice of life.

DCC

As stated, I am a newbie, without a doubt. I've only been eating ice cream for 3 weeks and have a whopping total of 7 tastings! :laughing: I have done a chocolate or vanilla or two, and frankly find them pretty boring. Just eating something that has the same smooth texture and uniform flavor doesn't really feel like I'm doing much. I like finding a nice fruity flavor or a swirl, full of pieces of fruit or nuts with an interesting texture, and the anticipation of what is going to be inside when I take a spoonful into my mouth. I really get a kick and even a good belly laugh out of some of the stuff I find in these, and like flavors that are fun and creative.

If the original infamous bucket (and those that followed) had nothing but boring chocolate, do you think Ben and Jerry's would have been invented?

I bet you all saw that coming ;)

To the OP, geocaching is a lot like eating ice cream. Different people can enjoy different aspects. One person may dislike the flavor another person loves. You can spend time researching the caches you are going to find and select the ones you are more likely to enjoy or you can go out and try all the flavors knowing that they'll be some that leave a bad taste in your mouth and some that will surprise you. It's your choice. Have fun.

Edited by tozainamboku

As stated, I am a newbie, without a doubt. I've only been caching for 3 weeks and have a whopping total of 7 finds! ;) I have done a micro or two, and frankly find them pretty boring. Just unrolling a piece of paper and signing it doesn't really feel like I'm doing much. I like finding a nice container in a secluded spot, full of interesting trade items, and the anticipation of what is going to be inside when I pop the lid. I really get a kick and even a good belly laugh out of some of the stuff I find in these, and try to be fun and creative about what I leave as well.

Well, your attitude isn't one of unrealistic expectation with only 7 finds. You're plainly questioning and I can't find that a good enough reason to flame you. :)

There are three types of cache hunters... Those that let themselves be drawn to every nearby cache and grow bitter that their personal aesthetic isn't being catered to.... Those that CHOOSE their hunts to fit their aesthetic..... And those that are just happy to have another cache to find. There is little hope for the first group.

You should delete your find in protest. That'd show 'em. :D:D

328897.jpg

It takes some effort to contribute to the geocaching community by hiding and maintaining caches. All hides that are hidden within the guidelines are a gift to the community. :)

A hunter owes it to himself to choose how he spends his quality geocaching time. When they come into the forums and complain it's often because they failed in their own choices and don't wish to take responsibility for their own actions. It makes for good entertainment though. :D:D:)

If we check the other end of the horse will we find a micro? :laughing::D

I have done a micro or two, and frankly find them pretty boring. Just unrolling a piece of paper and signing it doesn't really feel like I'm doing much.

Many people feel the same way. There are some places where only a micro will fit, and the places are worth visiting.

I would suggest micros be placed only where a regular won't fit.

I'd also say I like all the micros I've signed, even the skirt caches. Uninteresting micros are something to do between caches.

As stated, I am a newbie, without a doubt. I've only been caching for 3 weeks and have a whopping total of 7 finds! :) I have done a micro or two, and frankly find them pretty boring. Just unrolling a piece of paper and signing it doesn't really feel like I'm doing much. I like finding a nice container in a secluded spot, full of interesting trade items, and the anticipation of what is going to be inside when I pop the lid. I really get a kick and even a good belly laugh out of some of the stuff I find in these, and try to be fun and creative about what I leave as well.

You should delete your find in protest. That'd show 'em. :anibad::(

328897.jpg

It takes some effort to contribute to the geocaching community by hiding and maintaining caches. All hides that are hidden within the guidelines are a gift to the community. B)

A hunter owes it to himself to choose how he spends his quality geocaching time. When they come into the forums and complain it's often because they failed in their own choices and don't wish to take responsibility for their own actions. It makes for good entertainment though. :anibad::):)

If we check the other end of the horse will we find a micro? :(:)

What a unique idea...first a lion, then the Durham Bull now a mule......neat

The OP displays a very wise approach to this great sport, and show excellent posting skills for his first foray into the forums. I predict he'll be around for a while. :(

That is exactly what I was about to post. To me one of the great aspects of geocaching is the variety of caches to look for. Some of us are pretty single-minded in our expectations of our geocaching experience. I'm in a different mood for different targets and experiences every time I go out. How exciting is a stroll on along a woodsy trail if you spot the dreaded pile of parallel sticks from 100' away? Sometimes it is about the hike, sometimes about the search, but it is always about the journey and the experience.

This past Sunday I just had to get out after a weekend of traveling/family/indulging in too much good food/and work.

But the forecast was for scattered showers and mid 50 temps. A nice long hike in the woods would have left me soaked and cold.

Instead I drove 45 minutes to a town I haven't visited in over a year, and routed myself to 50 traditional hides with terrain ratings under 3. I had a very fun day skipping between neighborhood parks, greenways, and parking lots, finding about 30 along the way, and dodging the heavier rain in my car. I still got wet, but not soaked.

Maybe this Sunday I'll be in the mood for some longer hikes and go after the 10 or so placed over a 7 mile loop in some gamelands nearby.

Careful Wimsey, some of those containers in the Jordan Lake loop are micros.....you don't want to spoil your image here in the forums do you?????

If only there were a way to avoid micros, to filter them out, so that you'd never have to SEE any of the cache pages, that way you wouldn't ever have to hunt them.

:(

If only there were a way to find out if a cache was good, regardless of it's size... Hmmmmm.. this sounds familiar doesn't it.

If only there were a way to avoid micros, to filter them out, so that you'd never have to SEE any of the cache pages, that way you wouldn't ever have to hunt them.

If only there were a way to find out if a cache was good, regardless of it's size... Hmmmmm.. this sounds familiar doesn't it.
Familiar, but not really on topic with the OP. Familiar more in a 'This is my favorite issue to beat on. Perhaps I'll twist this thread into being about it' kind of way. Edited by sbell111

Familiar, but not really on topic with the OP. Familiar more in a 'This is my favorite issue to beat on. Perhaps I'll twist this thread into being about it' kind of way.

hmmm.. Topic is about whether you find micros boring or not... My post was about finding out if a micro or any cache is boring or not... We'll let the mods figure out if that's on topic or not. In the mean time, how about you not try to start something with me in this thread for once sbell.. Thanks for your cooperation in this matter.

I rarely find a cache boring. There are some caches that I have chosen not to seek because they do not interest me, and many of those happen to be micros (usually in parking lots or uninteresting locations). I suppose that helps eliminate any chance of boredom. However, even if I sought them I doubt I would be bored. Perhaps not overjoyed by the nature of the cache or anything, but not bored.