Vancouver (WA) Cache Machine

travisl

Berta and I are going to go over early Friday, taking our travel trailer and staying at Sun Tides RV Park. We've been there to check it out and its situatated on a Golf Course and is very nice. Its 4.8 miles from the starting point of the CM. Unless Travis changes the starting point. Its 26 dollars a night. Not too bad. End of March is usually when its time to get the cobwebs out of the RV anyway, right?

A friend of mine, one of whose caches was on the VCM route, was chagrined to see this sequence in the cache logs:

We found the log to be a bit damp.
Log was wet.
Log was soaked.

I think the "bit damp" was a nice way of saying that the log was in bad shape. I think wet and soaked mean the same thing. I don't think there was enough rain to change the conditions of logs during the day. When it rains I believe people protect the log and the container fairly well while signing.

Changing Missoula to a one-day?

I've also pushed Missoula out a week, so as to not interfere with some late district school schedules. I've updated my profile, which now says:

• Yakima II, March 29, 2008
  • Missoula, June 28-29, 2008

Missoula is particularly troublesome for me. ... The next weekend is Independence Day, and by the next weekend we're deep into the heat of the summer. I've also got to schedule a family Disneyland vacation around this somewhere. :yikes:

Bah. It's looking like I'll be on a business trip to a conference in L.A. June 26-27, so it's gonna make the most sense for me to schedule the Disneyland trip around that.

This means, tentatively, that I'm not gonna make it to Missoula myself, but that doesn't mean it's not gonna happen. However, the logistics of planning a two-day event are (duh) twice as challenging as a one-day event, so I'm seriously considering reducing it to June 28 only. I've already started receiving offers of help from local Missoulans, so I'm not too concerned about planning an event where I'm absent. It worked in Spokane I, and it kinda worked in Grays Harbor (except that whole Wonderful Life dinner thing; I've learned my lesson).

Anybody panicky about that potential change?

Edited by travisl

And then theres slo pokes like me. First cache machine,

Greys harbor--Lesson learned-- dont try to do it in one day.

Cache machine #2-Vancouver--Lesson learned -- Dont try to do it in TWO days

Cache machine #3--Yakima-- Going over on Thursday and Leaving Sunday! That way the weekend doesnt seem so rushed with Monday morning lurking!

Heh. We 'did' the Portland cache machine several weeks early while we were in town visiting friends. We spent four days following the route and still didn't get to everything. (But I did end up with a very long list of comments from an out-of-towner's point view to share before the event.)

Folks might want to plan some extra days if they can, just to get out of the valleys and into the hills a bit. Missoula has a lot of public land in close vicinity and we've been making good use of it with our caches.

Anybody panicky about that potential change?

No panick here! Not gonna make it on that weekend anyways. The weekend before=good, the weekend after= good, just not that weekend. Thanks for the planning anyways.

Have fun, and don't forget to stop by the Big Sky Brewery while in town. Yummy!

Unfortunately the Great Falls event is in conjunction with a festival in the local state park, so its date simply can't be changed. Several of the Missoula cachers go up to help out each year. We figure anything that helps our standing in the eyes of the managers of our public lands is a good thing.

So unless y'all are going be cookin' your own burgers for Saturday lunch, we really do need to have the cache machine the weekend of the 21st. I understand that may mean some folks won't be able to attend and we're very sorry about that, but it's just the way it has to be.

Oy. Understand the reasons for changing this CM to June 21 weekend, but it puts me in a tough position. I've been eagerly awaiting the Missoula CM for almost a year, and June 21 is the weekend of my national orienteering meet at Lake Tahoe. June 28 was gonna be so perfect, and after the school year ended, too. I may have to flip a coin....

Oy. Understand the reasons for changing this CM to June 21 weekend, but it puts me in a tough position. I've been eagerly awaiting the Missoula CM for almost a year, and June 21 is the weekend of my national orienteering meet at Lake Tahoe. June 28 was gonna be so perfect, and after the school year ended, too. I may have to flip a coin....

I have visitation with my two daughters every other weekend, so there is no flip of the coin here. Either I can do it or I can't. Its a 50/50 thing, when an event is posted. I have missed plenty of events due to events conflicting with visitation. I am good to go which ever way. Either I get the chance to attend an event/cache with Snookie74/spend time with her or, I get the bonus time with my daughters, and not attend an event. It all works out A OK for me :ph34r:

I don't remember what I said, but yeah, March 29th is the date I'm looking at for Yakima II. I've also pushed Missoula out a week, so as to not interfere with some late district school schedules. I've updated my profile, which now says:

• Yakima II, March 29, 2008
  • Missoula, June 28-29, 2008
  • Victoria II, September 2008
  • Whidbey, January 2009
  • The Palouse/Quad-Cities, March 2009
  • Vancouver BC II, June 2009
  • Tri-Cities II, September 2009
  • Olympia II, January 2010

As I mention in my profile, all dates are tentative until the event actually gets its own event cache page. Missoula is particularly troublesome for me, as it's now interfering with SeabeckTribe's GeoPoker Run 3, which has been held on this same weekend in 2008, 2007, and 2006. The next weekend is Independence Day, and by the next weekend we're deep into the heat of the summer. I've also got to schedule a family Disneyland vacation around this somewhere. :)

(Edit: Olympia II)

I'm excited about the upcoming cache machines and I was just looking at a map of Yakima showing regular caches. The map centered on Yakima shows about 100 caches.

yakimacaches4mh8.jpg

Out of curiosity I looked at the Tri Cities. A map with the same area there returns about 390 caches!!!!

tricitiescaches4yz1.jpg

I realize it's late but is there any chance of swapping dates with Yakima? I'm afraid if you wait until the fall of 2009 it will have to be a week long event!

Whatever you decide is fine. My wife and I had a blast at Grays Harbor and were disappointed to miss Vancouver so we're really looking forward to the next one.

Out of curiosity I looked at the Tri Cities. A map with the same area there returns about 390 caches!!!!

tricitiescaches4yz1.jpg

I realize it's late but is there any chance of swapping dates with Yakima? I'm afraid if you wait until the fall of 2009 it will have to be a week long event!

:) HOLY CARP!!!! I'm in for another 45 minutes to an hour drive to hit up the Tri-Cities instead of Yakima. I have a few found from there due to work trips, but not a dent compared to that map.

I'd still vote for Yakima. I'm not going to get them all either place, anyway.

Yakima is fine by me too, doesn't matter to me either way, just seems that since the tri-cities are a little bit farther away, and would include less machine drive time to get probably twice the amount of caches, is not a bad option. It's Travis' thing, and I am game either way. If nothing else, MtnGoat50 gave Snookie and I an idea as to where we can go cachin' some three day weekend.

Hey Travis...I love the cache machines (ok, I've only been to two - but they were a blast). I look forward to hearing everything about each upcoming cache machine, but I keep forgetting to look in this thread for info on all of them. Maybe opening up a new topic titled "Upcoming cache machines" or something like that would be good - lotsa folks may be missing out on the info, thinking that the discussion is still about the Vancouver cache machine. Just a thought.

Edited by Lizzy

Yes! Please start a new thread. I didn't realize their was a cache machine going on until I got to the bottom of this thread. One thing the girlz mentiones was the passes. Which ever pass would be more clear might be the deciding factor between the tri cities and Yakima.

Agree with starting a new thread for the next CM.

Not as sure about the mountain passes comment. From where I live (Bellevue area), Yakima and TriCities are the same trajectory, basically - Snoqualmie. I suppose I could detour way south to White Pass, but that would be a hassle.

Yakima and Tri-cities. when for both and is there a cache page for them so we can get the info we need?

Yakima II machine is March 29 2008

Tri-Cities II machine is tentatively September 2009

No listing for Yakima that am aware of, and Tri-cities is too far out to get an event published, so no listing for that either.

Edited by -Hawk-

From here Yakima is Stevens Pass and Tri Citites seem to be Snoqualmie. But of course I never plan the route so I could be completely confused. Thats why I have Flutey :P

Actually from there to the Tri Cities you would pass through Yakima whatever way you go. Don't lose track of Flutey or you may become lost. Imagine that, a cacher lost. Hmmmmm.

From here Yakima is Stevens Pass and Tri Citites seem to be Snoqualmie. But of course I never plan the route so I could be completely confused. Thats why I have Flutey :)

Actually from there to the Tri Cities you would pass through Yakima whatever way you go. Don't lose track of Flutey or you may become lost. Imagine that, a cacher lost. Hmmmmm.

That's what I thought, as well. :P

So, it IS feasible to drive over there Then hop into someone else's vehicle? And If we park Our vehicle, will it be safe from break ins and vandals?

Sure, folks arrive and then arrange carpools all the time at CMs. As for vehicle safety, that's up to you and where you decide to park. Everyone makes their own arrangements with their teams.

So, it IS feasible to drive over there Then hop into someone else's vehicle? And If we park Our vehicle, will it be safe from break ins and vandals?

Sure, folks arrive and then arrange carpools all the time at CMs. As for vehicle safety, that's up to you and where you decide to park. Everyone makes their own arrangements with their teams.

Teams ?!? one person, me doesn't exactly make a team :laughing:

Teams ?!? one person, me doesn't exactly make a team :anibad:

Perhaps I misunderstood you. You asked about driving over and then hopping into someone else's vehicle for the CM. More than 1 person in vehicle = team. :ph34r: Meeting up with someone = gotta have a meeting spot, where a car will be left. What am I missing?

Teams ?!? one person, me doesn't exactly make a team :ph34r:

Perhaps I misunderstood you. You asked about driving over and then hopping into someone else's vehicle for the CM. More than 1 person in vehicle = team. :anibad: Meeting up with someone = gotta have a meeting spot, where a car will be left. What am I missing?

You aren't missing anything. Just being inquisitive and covering all bases.

Unfortunately the Great Falls event is in conjunction with a festival in the local state park, so its date simply can't be changed. Several of the Missoula cachers go up to help out each year. We figure anything that helps our standing in the eyes of the managers of our public lands is a good thing.

So unless y'all are going be cookin' your own burgers for Saturday lunch, we really do need to have the cache machine the weekend of the 21st. I understand that may mean some folks won't be able to attend and we're very sorry about that, but it's just the way it has to be.

bump/reminder