My Fingers smell like Mold!

mrbeachroach

Man, knothing takes away the magic of geo-caching like a nice sunny day with everything going right

then you find severall wet caches, that make your fingers smell like mold!!! I wan't to boycott the film

canisters!! Why do people continue to use them don't you find that this is a maintance nightmare?

Every canister I find with a 35 mill after a rain is compleatly damaged. I find that pharmacy pill bottles

are 100% waterproof, what do you use and recomend?

• Upvote 1

Man, knothing takes away the magic of geo-caching like a nice sunny day with everything going right

then you find severall wet caches, that make your fingers smell like mold!!! I wan't to boycott the film

canisters!! Why do people continue to use them don't you find that this is a maintance nightmare?

Every canister I find with a 35 mill after a rain is compleatly damaged. I find that pharmacy pill bottles

Being new I haven't hidden a cache yet, but I have experienced some moldy ones like you're describing. I'm planning to get some cheap latex gloves for handling those types of caches, because you're right, they do stink :anicute:

Edited by RV'n Iowans

The first thing my wife does when she finds a cache is to smell it. I'm not sure why, but it is funny. Most log books have that smell although some are worse than others.

Film cans are not entirely bad if properly protected from the elements. But in most cases they are not protected. They are cheap and freely available therefore used too much. Too many (just one is too many), people would rather choose quantity over quality.

I take full responsibility for the micro proliferation that exists in geocaching. ;)

Therefore, you need look no further for someone to blame for your smelly fingers and stolen geocaching mojo. :D My bad. :laughing:

To answer your question, I recommend M&M Minis containers for micros. A quick wash with hot water and a drop of bleach and you have a container that will last for YEARS in the wild. I believe all but 2 of my micros are M&M Minis containers. Not a single wet log in almost 5 years.

iuygig.jpg

One of my other micros is a blood sugar test strip container:

ultrats.jpg

I just hid one of these, so I have no field data on it.

Edited by Snoogans

I find that pharmacy pill bottles

are 100% waterproof,

Your newbie is showing. :laughing:;)

ha!! Does that mean im pouting?, or that over time the pill bottles leak also?

P.S. I am Kinda Pouting!!!!

Pill bottles do leak. They also break easily in cold weather.

Since you seem to be focused on micros, here is an article I wrote on micro containers some time ago.

And here is an article about regular containers

• Upvote 1
Man, knothing takes away the magic of geo-caching like a nice sunny day with everything going right then you find severall wet caches, that make your fingers smell like mold!!! I wan't to boycott the film canisters!! Why do people continue to use them don't you find that this is a maintance nightmare? Every canister I find with a 35 mill after a rain is compleatly damaged. I find that pharmacy pill bottles are 100% waterproof, what do you use and recomend?
This it is true that film canisters leak, it is an overgeneralization. The cans that have a lid that fits over the film can leak badly, while the cans that have the lid that snap into the container are much more waterproof. I use this type of film can in my hand-made rocks with very good results. I have a rock that has been in place for over three years and the log is still bone dry. That being said, if someone wants to hide a cache in a film can (or any other container, really) he/she should consider picking up some appropriately-sized baggies from a local craft store (or crack dealer) to put the log in. That ounce of prevention may save the log.

BAD

_palmk_35mmFilmCanister.JPG

GOOD

canister.jpg

In my opinion, pharmacy pill bottles are horrible containers. Many of them create a seal by forcing the container against a cardboard circle in the lid. The cardboard will quickly get soaked and allow water to enter.

A really good similar-sized container is the cryotube. These containers come in various small sizes and are made to hold up to conditions that are far worse than we expect geocaches to endure.

REALLY GOOD

Cryo1.jpg

Regarding your stinky fingers, wash your hands.

Edited by sbell111

use Purell to get rid of yucky hand smell......we carry it with us (they even make cool little rubber things that allow you to hang it off your hiking pack. With three small kids, we get alot of use out of Purell.

As for the film canisters, well we've used the white Fuji ones with no problems. Just checked on one today that was under 7 inches of snow and not a drop of water inside. The log was as dry as a bone.

Where at WallyMart or do you mean Wally World? do you find the Aluminum pill containers. Can get emm at WallyMart for a few bucks. All aluminum construction with an o-ring. What dept?

And also where do you find those really cool cryotubes? I don't work in the medical field or don't have access to anyone that is a diabetic either.

so the orange tubes you find in the fishing and camping dept work really well too?

we"re lost

Man, knothing takes away the magic of geo-caching like a nice sunny day with everything going right then you find severall wet caches, that make your fingers smell like mold!!! I wan't to boycott the film canisters!! Why do people continue to use them don't you find that this is a maintance nightmare? Every canister I find with a 35 mill after a rain is compleatly damaged. I find that pharmacy pill bottles are 100% waterproof, what do you use and recomend?
This it is true that film canisters leak, it is an overgeneralization. The cans that have a lid that fits over the film can leak badly, while the cans that have the lid that snap into the container are much more waterproof. I use this type of film can in my hand-made rocks with very good results. I have a rock that has been in place for over three years and the log is still bone dry. That being said, if someone wants to hide a cache in a film can (or any other container, really) he/she should consider picking up some appropriately-sized baggies from a local craft store (or crack dealer) to put the log in. That ounce of prevention may save the log.

BAD

_palmk_35mmFilmCanister.JPG

GOOD

canister.jpg

In my opinion, pharmacy pill bottles are horrible containers. Many of them create a seal by forcing the container against a cardboard circle in the lid. The cardboard will quickly get soaked and allow water to enter.

A really good similar-sized container is the cryotube. These containers come in various small sizes and are made to hold up to conditions that are far worse than we expect geocaches to endure.

REALLY GOOD

Cryo1.jpg

Regarding your stinky fingers, wash your hands.

Man thats great!!! thanks for the tips. Where can I get the cryotubes in a lot?

I take full responsibility for the micro proliferation that exists in geocaching. :(

Therefore, you need look no further for someone to blame for your smelly fingers and stolen geocaching mojo. :) My bad. :)

To answer your question, I recommend M&M Minis containers for micros. A quick wash with hot water and a drop of bleach and you have a container that will last for YEARS in the wild. I believe all but 2 of my micros are M&M Minis containers. Not a single wet log in almost 5 years.

iuygig.jpg

One of my other micros is a blood sugar test strip container:

ultrats.jpg

I just hid one of these, so I have no field data on it.

Now...Don't be too hard on yourself Snoogans, but you sure did figure out a way to proliferate these types of caches in a volume that few can claim. So, hows that ammo can proliferation project coming along you mentioned a while back?

I discovered to my amazement today that this thread is still active. Here are my two cents on the matter:

If you do not like ending up with moldy-smelling (actually, much of the smell comes from various actinomycetes species; that genera is not a mold at all, but rather a mold-like bacteria) fingers after going geocaching, then I suggest that you stop hunting micros, or at least stop hunting micros in anything other than dry desert-like climates, and that instead you do the following:

• hunt our Psycho Urban Cache #10 - Derelict Grunge Acropolis. You will end up with human feces, rat feces, cat feces, human blood, human bodily fluids, mud and slime on your fingers, and you will be attacked by spiders, cave crickets, winos, drug dealers and aggressive sex cruisers, but you will likely not end up with a mold-like smell on your fingers
  • hunt our Psycho Urban Cache #11 - Strange Island Getaway. You will end up with thorns in your fingers and poison ivy (if you happen to have the PI allergy) on your fingers, hands and legs, but your fingers will not end up with a mold-like smell.
  • hunt our Psycho Urban Cache #13 - Impossible! Give Up Now! You will end up with blood (your own blood) on your fingers, and the task may take you a few days or longer, but you will not end up with a mold-like smell on your fingers.
  • hunt our Psycho Urban Cache #9 - Hot Glowing Tribulations. You will end up with radioactive dust, toxic chemical waste and dust containing hantavirus and the bubonic plague microbe on your fingers, and you will be bitten by radioactive spiders, fleas and mites, but your fingers will not end up with a mold-like smell.

Enjoy!

I discovered to my amazement today that this thread is still active. Here are my two cents on the matter:

If you do not like ending up with moldy-smelling (actually, much of the smell comes from various actinomycetes species; that genera is not a mold at all, but rather a mold-like bacteria) fingers after going geocaching, then I suggest that you stop hunting micros, or at least stop hunting micros in anything other than dry desert-like climates, and that instead you do the following:

• hunt our Psycho Urban Cache #10 - Derelict Grunge Acropolis. You will end up with human feces, rat feces, cat feces, human blood, human bodily fluids, mud and slime on your fingers, and you will be attacked by spiders, cave crickets, winos, drug dealers and aggressive sex cruisers, but you will likely not end up with a mold-like smell on your fingers
  • hunt our Psycho Urban Cache #11 - Strange Island Getaway. You will end up with thorns in your fingers and poison ivy (if you happen to have the PI allergy) on your fingers, hands and legs, but your fingers will not end up with a mold-like smell.
  • hunt our Psycho Urban Cache #13 - Impossible! Give Up Now! You will end up with blood (your own blood) on your fingers, and the task may take you a few days or longer, but you will not end up with a mold-like smell on your fingers.
  • hunt our Psycho Urban Cache #9 - Hot Glowing Tribulations. You will end up with radioactive dust, toxic chemical waste and dust containing hantavirus and the bubonic plague microbe on your fingers, and you will be bitten by radioactive spiders, fleas and mites, but your fingers will not end up with a mold-like smell.

Enjoy!