"Trees"- How far is too far? Drilling holes, thumb tax, and nails

mrbeachroach

Do not create a place to hide a cache if the place was not already there. No screws, no nails, no drilling, no digging, no cutting, no taking things apart that don't belong to you. In most cases there is an alternate way to place the cache without damaging or vandalizing.

A well known, favorited and recognized cache listed on GC recently, originally was screwed to a tree. It was reported and the CO removed the screws and used cable to hang the container to the tree.

Sorry about the bumping of the old thread... been spending too much time on city-data's forums. :)

It seems like trees can handle nails because they can heal that wound but the repeated removal of a cache situated in an open wound keeps the wound from closing... CO would have been better off nailing a nail there and hanging the cache from the nail rather than having the gaping bleeding holek that cant heal without eventually trapping the cache inside.. a wound that gets reopened every time someone attempts to remove said cache hence the 10 inch long 2 inch wide trail of sap running out... then again we tap maple trees for their sap in the spring so I might be making too much out of no big deal...

No worries about bumping an old thread--I posted that photo for fun. Resurrecting old threads happens, and often for good reason.

The "arguing with a 7-year-old post" comment was more about pointing out what you had asked about, and what was being "argued" below as unrelated to your question.

So, to put it back "on topic" from your question (which, admittedly, isn't the topic of the thread, but is what others were re-starting a discussion about), and the additional info you shared, I'd say note what you found in your log. It doesn't sound like you'd be out of line to contact the local Reviewer and ask them how they handle situations like this--meaning, caches that were placed before the current interpretation of "no harm to trees" was implemented more consistently within the review process.

And it's good you came to ask. jellis' point above is important as a take away: Use this cache as an example of what not to do when you hide a cache. Know that the guidelines and review process for new caches will not allow for nails, screws, or drilled holes in trees to facilitate a cache hide.

Yet, my first hide used nails and someone who hadn't even found my cache, but rather saw me talking about it in the forums, had it archived.

Did you delete their NA?

There are no Reviewer notes and you archived it yourself, admitting it was against the guidelines in your archive note.

I did delete his post, but archived it after receiving several more negative comments about breaking guidelines.

For some reason my whole comment didn't post.

I went on to say that it really depends on who lives in the area and how the cache was implemented which make it against the guidelines or not.

I went on to say that it really depends on who lives in the area and how the cache was implemented which make it against the guidelines or not.

The fact that a cache isn't reported for being in violation of the guidelines doesn't mean the cache complies with the guidelines. In fact, it's likely going to cause more harm (and I'm not talking about to the tree) if it's not reported, as it increases the likelihood that a land manager is going to discover something nail to a tree that was put there by a geocacher.

The fact that a cache isn't reported for being in violation of the guidelines doesn't mean the cache complies with the guidelines. In fact, it's likely going to cause more harm (and I'm not talking about to the tree) if it's not reported, as it increases the likelihood that a land manager is going to discover something nail to a tree that was put there by a geocacher.

This is very true, and I thought about that afterwards. The person who requested it to be archived couldn't have known that I received permission for the nails, because i didn't tell him. He didn't know if I was one of those Geocachers who harm the environment, or place caches where there is no permission given.

I had read a thread like this before hiding our night cache. I made sure to make hanging reflectors instead of using fire tacks. Now that this site sells fire tacks I think I am OK with using them as the hole is so small. Like a thumb tack. I would go no bigger then that and find another way to attach it to the tree if it was a different hide. As far as dead stumps I would make it at home and bring it to the location. I wouldn't drill into anything that was there and attached to the ground.

There are other ways around drilling into or nailing into a tree so it is probably best just not to do it.