Autorouting perfomance on 60CSx...

xxgg

Hello!

Just have few questions regarding autorouting capability on Garmin 60CSx.

I used to have Garmin C320 with North America Navigator NT Version 8.

I am not sure if it has to do with the processing power of each unit but C320

updates street navigation very quick. Like turn arrow, map would get updated

as soon as I change direction in the car.

Now that I have sold it and bought myself a 60CSx... I do not have CityNavigatorNTv8

anymore but I still have my old MetroGuide v7.

Autorouting navigation on 60CSx isn't very quick to update the information/map on the screen.

Which is very frustrating since I got used to CarGPS like C320.

Is this a matter of different processor speed used in these two devices? ( 60CSx have slower processor? or it just does a lot more of other calculations in the background too? )

OR

Is the performance difference due to MetroGuide vs. CityNavigator (NT) thing?

I don't really mind the not so bright, dull screen of 60CSx but... it's auto-routing performance is bit annoying as it updates the map on screen bit too slow.

I would appreciate your feedbacks!

Thanks!

It is not clear to me whether you are talking about screen redrawing (which may be helped by choosing "north up" orientation) or route calculation.

If the latter, I will assume you are running a massaged version of MG that allows autorouting since it does not do so out of the box.

I find that having battery saver mode on introduces delays into driving instructions (perhaps because the estimated accuracy goes down significantly on my cx). So I only use BS mode when autorouting in relatively "open" routes. Tight routes with many fast turns are better handled in Normal mode, in my experience.

YMMV, of course.

Having only used handheld GPSr's while driving, I can't compare my 60CSx to anything but my Legend... :-)

But, I use MetroGuide v.7 with MetroWizz-enabled autorouting. With "track up" (rather than "north up"), I don't really have any issues with the speed of auto-recalculation of routes when I miss a turn or decide I know better than the GPS because I have "ground truth" about local conditions. It usually bleeps and spits out a new route within a block or two of missing a turn it wanted me to make.

MetroGuide versions after v.4 do not autoroute “out of the box” on the GPS. You must use MetroWizz or similar to crack it in order to make it autoroute on your GPS. Your GPS is autorouting off the base map if you did not alter the MetroGuide. This may explain a delay in rerouting.

Yes, I actually used MetroWizz to enable AutoRoute feature on the GPS itself.

I have also HIDDEN BaseMap on my GPS and only SHOW MetroGuide v7.

Another thought! Did you register your c320? If so, you may have a second unlock available from the CNNT v8 software that could be used on your 60CSx. Go to your “My Garmin” account and check to see if you have a second unlock.

Yes, I did register my C320 back in 2006.

Now, I did not know about the free 2nd unlock code until after Garmin announced that there will no longer be a 2nd code.

I did remember emailing and complained that I did registered before the new policy date. Asking I should get my free 2nd unlock code but Garmin didn't seem to care to service me.

Maybe I don't know exactly where on myGarmin I have to look at.

Edited by xxgg

There are 3 ways to try to unlock a second unit.

First:

Go to www.mygarmin.com

Sign in with your user name and password.

Click on your StreetPilot c320 under unlocked units.

Click on Unlock Additional Unit.

Follow directions from there entering serial number for additional unit.

Second:

Open MapSource.

Click on Utilities.

Click on Unlock Maps. This will open the UnlockWizard.

Click next.

Select No, I need to get a 25-character unlock code.

Click next and again next. This gets you to where you have to sign into your Garmin account.

Third:

If all else fails, call Garmin customer support (800-800-1020). Emailing Garmin doesn't seem to get very good results. You might need your serial number from your c320 that you had. The single unlock policy started with CN version 2008. I think the second unlocks for CN version 8 and older are still available. I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

Hello!

Just have few questions regarding autorouting capability on Garmin 60CSx.

I used to have Garmin C320 with North America Navigator NT Version 8.

I am not sure if it has to do with the processing power of each unit but C320

updates street navigation very quick. Like turn arrow, map would get updated

as soon as I change direction in the car.

Now that I have sold it and bought myself a 60CSx... I do not have CityNavigatorNTv8

anymore but I still have my old MetroGuide v7.

Autorouting navigation on 60CSx isn't very quick to update the information/map on the screen.

Which is very frustrating since I got used to CarGPS like C320.

Is this a matter of different processor speed used in these two devices? ( 60CSx have slower processor? or it just does a lot more of other calculations in the background too? )

OR

Is the performance difference due to MetroGuide vs. CityNavigator (NT) thing?

I don't really mind the not so bright, dull screen of 60CSx but... it's auto-routing performance is bit annoying as it updates the map on screen bit too slow.

I would appreciate your feedbacks!

Thanks!

Awesome!

Thanks.

I guess I didn't know where I was looking.

Thank you!

Ok, so I have unlocked the software with my 60CSx with Mapsource.

I selected the map I wanted to send to the GPS but why is '[ ] Include reoute calculation date." greyed out?

or does it even matter for City Navigator series of maps?

Edited by xxgg

Ok, so I have unlocked the software with my 60CSx with Mapsource.

I selected the map I wanted to send to the GPS but why is '[ ] Include reoute calculation date." greyed out?

or does it even matter for City Navigator series of maps?

For non-NT versions of City Navigator you have the choice of sending routing data or not, for the NT versions you don't have a choice, routing data is always sent.

Edited by rwsmith123